• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why all the Mewtwo hate?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Mewtwo was just an emo Pokemon. Started off cool, but then just sort of walked around wondering what he was doing there and hating everything. Sasuke-syndrome.

He still looks cool, anyway.
...um. Yeaaaah. All conflicted characters are immediately based on Sasuke. I know you can't see it, Zulen, but I'm rolling my eyes at this statement right now. Lol

Anyway. It's not that all of those calling for Mewtwo to be cut despise the character for what he is. Some people just feel that he is going to be bumped aside for a more recent Pokemon (like Lucario or whatever). I personally stand in this camp. While I did think he was a solid addition to the SSBM cast (plus he is my favorite Pokemon), I just don't think his fanbase (or lack thereof, really) holds enough water to earn him a spot in Brawl. I mean, take a look at all of the new Pokemon that have come out since then (not the remakes, mind you; Emerald, Ruby, etc). There's hundreds of potential characters beyond the original 151 (yes, for those of you wondering, I always count Mew).

Sakurai mentioned that he wanted Brawl to have a "universal appeal" when it comes to game's consumers. That statement can apply to many facets of the game itself. In context, this means that characters that are easily recognized and that can easily represent a part of the whole franchise are going to be thrown in there. When I look at Pikachu, I honestly see the whole Pokemon franchise; whenever I look at Mewtwo, I feel that he's just a Pokemon. Y'know? I don't like the little yellow rat (never have), but even I can't deny the fact that he is iconic and represents the first generation of Pokemon that launched the whole craze. He is far better suited to this end.

With the newer generation of Pokemon paving the way for the franchise, I think a current representative will be called to the forefront. I don't really know who it should be because I really don't care all that much about the newer generations (although Wobuffet is the freakin' shiz).

Smooth Criminal

Chromeless

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai mentioned that he wanted Brawl to have a "universal appeal" when it comes to game's consumers. That statement can apply to many facets of the game itself. In context, this means that characters that are easily recognized and that can easily represent a part of the whole franchise are going to be thrown in there. When I look at Pikachu, I honestly see the whole Pokemon franchise; whenever I look at Mewtwo, I feel that he's just a Pokemon. Y'know? I don't like the little yellow rat (never have), but even I can't deny the fact that he is iconic and represents the first generation of Pokemon that launched the whole craze. He is far better suited to this end.

With the newer generation of Pokemon paving the way for the franchise, I think a current representative will be called to the forefront. I don't really know who it should be because I really don't care all that much about the newer generations (although Wobuffet is the freakin' shiz).

Smooth Criminal
I personally feel the exact opposite, I can't think of a more generic and unnotable pokemon then pikachu, who isn't even generic enough to be notable for being generic (like pidgey). The only reason pikachu is iconic is because he was chosen to be Ash's 'chosen' companion essentually because he looked cute.

When I think of a single pokemon that represents the series, it's always mewtwo that's on the top of the list, because he's actually a notable pokemon for reasons other then shear popularity and marketing. He was 'the' pokemon of the first 150 (with his mother being just out of reach) and is the anti-hero of the series. He's the one character who is always up ther with the best, so dispite newer critters comming out I don't think any other pokemon could really replace him. Pikachu on the other hand could just as easily be replaced with any other random cute pokemon and everything would play out the same.

Top Bottom