• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why affirmative action is silly

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I've considered that. And I do have all of the gifs for Godot.

The only issue is that I personally hate coffee and suck at being brief and mysterious like he is. XD Though it would be fun to try though, true.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Been reading biographies of John Nash and then read a small blurb about Julius Axelrod. I found that both were born around 1910-1920 and both biographies note that there was a strong sense of anti-semitism that prevented some jewish students from getting into the graduate program of their choice. John Nash himself wasn't of jewish descent, however the biography goes over some fellow undergrad mathematicians who were geniuses in their own right and were rejected from programs such as harvard graduate mathematics due to some air of discrimination. Julius Axelrod's biography itself runs as follows:

Axelrod said:
Axelrod was born in New York City, the son of Jewish immigrants from Poland. He received his bachelor's degree in biology from the College of the City of New York in 1933. Axelrod wanted to become a physician, but was rejected from every medical school to which he applied. Each school later apologized, two decades later, after his fame grew. One school even went as far as to gift him a thunderbird for their blunder.
Axelrod in an interview makes a comment that he wasn't a good student, but he may have had a chance of getting in if his last name were different.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." -MLK Jr.
Affirmative action is judging 'by the color of their skin'. MLK Jr. was a strong conservative and I agree with him.
inb4 MLK was racist.
Edit: Also, an egalitarian society can exist with people being different. Don't make the same mistake the French did when copying our constitution, we're equal in the eyes of (or 'to our' if you prefer alternate language) our creator, not by birth to other humans.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." -MLK Jr.
Affirmative action is judging 'by the color of their skin'. MLK Jr. was a strong conservative and I agree with him.
inb4 MLK was racist.
Edit: Also, an egalitarian society can exist with people being different. Don't make the same mistake the French did when copying our constitution, we're equal in the eyes of (or 'to our' if you prefer alternate language) our creator, not by birth to other humans.
Dr. King was definitely not a conservative:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/01/15/1055069/-Conservatives-still-don-t-get-Martin-Luther-King

and he was definitely in favor of programs like Affirmative Action:
http://www.amptoons.com/blog/2003/01/06/did-martin-luthor-king-oppose-affirmative-action/

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I surrender the argument, you're right.
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/epstein9.html
Though I won't say much about the author's troubled history, if that's what you want to judge his article on.
The HuffPo one seems pretty straightforward, the Human events one might be a sob story to get you to sympathize and understand, and the Hatewatch one is. . . well, I'll let you decide.
Regardless he agrees with both of us, MLK Jr. was not a conservative and was also in favor of programs like Affirmative Action.

Kal

Smash Champion
Seems that, whenever affirmative action comes up, people who reek to holy hell of white privilege are always the ones arguing against it. It's not a matter of admitting the most qualified students or hiring the most qualified employees. It's a matter of fixing socio-economic issues and combating white privilege. In a perfect world, a black man could go into an interview speaking AAVE and the employer would see past it and judge objectively. When that happens, we won't need affirmative action.

Props to Jam Stunna for kicking this thread's ***. <3

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Unfortunately, "white privilege" is one of those phrases that immediately causes people to stop listening to what you're saying, either because they don't understand it or refuse to acknowledge it.

But yeah, white privilege
/thread

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well you can't really tell a privilege is a privilege when you were born with it and have lived with it your entire life.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
What if you're a minority and were completely oblivious to it?

:phone:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Pretty much anyone can make the argument that I'm overly induced by "white privilege," but I just flat out ignore it at this point because I don't think that's the case for me. I say "I don't think" because it's still plausible that I'm under the spell of "white privilege" and that I'm still blatantly ignorant of it, but I'm fairly certain that I'm not. I'm aware of discrimination and the "statistics," but I'm also aware of several people who have made their way out of poverty and problematic living conditions and went to schools of their choice, it was just a matter of interest and having the intellectual capacity to do so. Money wasn't an issue because scholarships and grants paid for the ride.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
White privelege and racism/stereotyping can be a lot more subtle than you may think. I didn't realize I was a victim of stereotyping until my senior year in highschool. If you have two people of similar backgrounds, ambitions, drive, and intellectual capacity with one White and the other a minority, a White person will most likely not experience the same kind of barriers a minority would.

Take my father. He and my grandmother had to fight for him to be able to test out of classes before entering high school when it was otherwise available to other students. He believes it was due to racism against Mexicans that he had to deal with that in the first place. Had he been Anglo, that kind of barrier would not have been present. The story may be different from what I recall, but that's the gist of it.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
If they made your father take tests specifically because he was Mexican, that's pretty messed up and definitely runs along the lines of discrimination.

Either way, I'm not really disagreeing with AA at this point because I've seen enough evidence that shows it's a necessary asset in order to move our society away from prejudicial/discriminatory thinking in the long run. I still think it's whack because it caters to certain ethnicities (which goes against the basic doctrine of U.S. law), but still, the catering seems to be necessary regardless. Sometimes, you just need to fight fire with fire.

/blog

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Nice, but could you give an example of how you've been confronted with AA? You seem extremely frustrated, it would be nice to see why.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Just because you think it's subtle doesn't mean it necessarily exists. Some of my best friends are black, and I respect them immensely. It's not about racism for me, it's about ideology. Even if employers discriminate, it is absolutely no grounds that liberty be infringed upon, and that means in every way, hell, even if a black employer (I know plenty) discriminated against me when I come in for a job (does that even happen?) sure I'd probably be mad for the first while but I'd eventually think "Employment ain't a God given right, nor should it be, hell, if people don't want to hire me that's their choice declining me that priviledge, not my right," and yes I know what it's like to have no job and be on the street, I hate welfare. We're not egocentric jerks, and if you think everyone is only in it for themselves you're sadly mistaken, my passion is genuine and out of love for justice I think this.

Why can I say stuff like this in good conscience when I know there are black people being discriminated against? Because I know there are a lot more good and genuine people in this world than bad people, that belief and knowledge was given to me by my more liberal father (who does not share my stance on Affirmative Action, whose opinion and point of view I can see and respect) who has been around the world many times over in his line of work, it's just that the bad ones stand out more, same goes for employers. There are a lot of good and genuine employers out there, the bad situations just stand out more.
You can try to tell me that I just hate black people, you can try to say that I think white people are superior, but I know you're wrong and I'm not doing it for my own interest.

Saying 'oh you're just in it for yourself' does absolutely nothing to the ideological argument, you just attack the person.
It all comes down to a belief, a chromatic point, which you have two choices in, you can choose to believe or not believe, and it's nigh impossible to argue. My belief is that no person is ever entitled to a job regardless of race, color, or creed, just because you're white or just because you're black, and the personal liberty of the employer to give you that privilege should never be infringed. My belief is that all men are created equal in the eyes of their creator, and before fealty to my country or to any other order I swear to God. Don't forget self-employment, or growing your own food, or being self-sufficient, and if those options in addition to the chance getting employed by someone else aren't available something is wrong with your general politician's economic theory.
Disagree with my belief instead of assuming to know my inner workings, because you don't. Never assume to know the inner workings of all humankind, because there are far too many variables than our limited intellect cannot conceive.
Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for Justice, for they shall be satisfied.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Liberty isn't a right either? If you want to debate fundamental rights in order to justify your beliefs, that's fine, but I prefer a more pragmatic approach to a problem that's easily justified.

If I'm correct, you imply that informal affirmative action is alright, because no liberty is taken, but formal affirmative action is not. Liberty is not denoted by the constitution, something you might want to keep in mind.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Just because you think it's subtle doesn't mean it necessarily exists. Some of my best friends are black, and I respect them immensely. It's not about racism for me, it's about ideology. Even if employers discriminate, it is absolutely no grounds that liberty be infringed upon, and that means in every way, hell, even if a black employer (I know plenty) discriminated against me when I come in for a job (does that even happen?) sure I'd probably be mad for the first while but I'd eventually think "Employment ain't a God given right, nor should it be, hell, if people don't want to hire me that's their choice declining me that priviledge, not my right," and yes I know what it's like to have no job and be on the street, I hate welfare. We're not egocentric jerks, and if you think everyone is only in it for themselves you're sadly mistaken, my passion is genuine and out of love for justice I think this.

Why can I say stuff like this in good conscience when I know there are black people being discriminated against? Because I know there are a lot more good and genuine people in this world than bad people, that belief and knowledge was given to me by my more liberal father (who does not share my stance on Affirmative Action, whose opinion and point of view I can see and respect) who has been around the world many times over in his line of work, it's just that the bad ones stand out more, same goes for employers. There are a lot of good and genuine employers out there, the bad situations just stand out more.
You can try to tell me that I just hate black people, you can try to say that I think white people are superior, but I know you're wrong and I'm not doing it for my own interest.

Saying 'oh you're just in it for yourself' does absolutely nothing to the ideological argument, you just attack the person.
It all comes down to a belief, a chromatic point, which you have two choices in, you can choose to believe or not believe, and it's nigh impossible to argue. My belief is that no person is ever entitled to a job regardless of race, color, or creed, just because you're white or just because you're black, and the personal liberty of the employer to give you that privilege should never be infringed. My belief is that all men are created equal in the eyes of their creator, and before fealty to my country or to any other order I swear to God. Don't forget self-employment, or growing your own food, or being self-sufficient, and if those options in addition to the chance getting employed by someone else aren't available something is wrong with your general politician's economic theory.
Disagree with my belief instead of assuming to know my inner workings, because you don't. Never assume to know the inner workings of all humankind, because there are far too many variables than our limited intellect cannot conceive.
Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for Justice, for they shall be satisfied.
"White privilege" is not a statement about racism necessarily. It's an acknowledgement that being white confers certain benefits. It doesn't mean that you don't respect your black friends, just that you're more likely to get a callback for a job than your black friends, among other things.

I bolded that sentence because it seems particularly contradictory. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ideological statement seems to be, "I promote liberty by protecting a person's right to discriminate." I don't understand how that is an internally consistent ideology.

These sort of arguments always arise when we start talking about competing rights. As you say that the right to work is not an actual right, I could say that the right to discriminate is not an actual right, and we'd get nowhere, so let's table that for the moment.

Instead of focusing on what is a right and what isn't, I want to talk about how the use of rights is basically a means to steer resources in one direction or another. For me, giving employers the right to discriminate basically means they get to choose who works and who doesn't, who makes what and who doesn't, and ultimately who can get ahead and who can't. That steering almost always occurs along racial, gender and sexual lines, leaving those groups out in the cold.

Of course, by outlawing employer discrimination, I'm hoping that jobs are steered in my direction. There is an ideological element to my stance, but it's definitely more influenced by the practical consideration that when discrimination is legal, people like me get screwed. It's a matter of competing interests in the end, because people have differing opinions on what's fair and what isn't. We don't have to agree on that, but I think it's irrefutable that discrimination almost exclusively works against the groups I mentioned earlier.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
"White privilege" is not a statement about racism necessarily. It's an acknowledgement that being white confers certain benefits. It doesn't mean that you don't respect your black friends, just that you're more likely to get a callback for a job than your black friends, among other things.

I bolded that sentence because it seems particularly contradictory. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ideological statement seems to be, "I promote liberty by protecting a person's right to discriminate." I don't understand how that is an internally consistent ideology.

These sort of arguments always arise when we start talking about competing rights. As you say that the right to work is not an actual right, I could say that the right to discriminate is not an actual right, and we'd get nowhere, so let's table that for the moment.

Instead of focusing on what is a right and what isn't, I want to talk about how the use of rights is basically a means to steer resources in one direction or another. For me, giving employers the right to discriminate basically means they get to choose who works and who doesn't, who makes what and who doesn't, and ultimately who can get ahead and who can't. That steering almost always occurs along racial, gender and sexual lines, leaving those groups out in the cold.

Of course, by outlawing employer discrimination, I'm hoping that jobs are steered in my direction. There is an ideological element to my stance, but it's definitely more influenced by the practical consideration that when discrimination is legal, people like me get screwed. It's a matter of competing interests in the end, because people have differing opinions on what's fair and what isn't. We don't have to agree on that, but I think it's irrefutable that discrimination almost exclusively works against the groups I mentioned earlier.
Aye, you certainly are right, at least from what I've seen, that discrimination works mostly exclusively against the groups you mentioned.

On the point of liberty and discrimination being mutually inconsistent, this is a tough one.

I guess you can say this is how I view it or explain myself.

There is a welder doing freelance work for major steel companies, he is the best in his class, a master of the Stick and the MIG. One day he welded two steel components together that serve particular interest, and are very valuable in their own right. Two steel companies come to him and both ask him for the incredibly valuable weld, both match each others prices. Now he has a choice, albeit a curious one, it is in his right to give the thing HE CREATED to whichever company he wants, the intent behind it could be anything. Maybe he liked the other spokesperson better, maybe one company was more consistent with his ideologies. Maybe one company had a Black CEO and the other had a White CEO, and he chose the latter for that reason alone. You suppose we control that welder's decisions for who he wants to sell to?

There is a small business owner along the lines of machining. One day two men come looking for the job position he needs filled, both asking for the same wages and benifits, he also has a choice to make, again a curious one.
The most important part of this is that HE CREATED the job, a job doesn't just come out of nowhere, a job is a position, OWNED by someone, PRIVATELY owned by someone, created by someone, and he holds the ownership of it. No company is entitled to receive the freelance welder's material, no person is entitled to receive the business owner/employer's open position.

Here lie two solutions.
#1, you take away the right of property and ownership in favor of the right of entitlement, ala Affirmative Action.
#2, you do absolutely nothing about it and let those who own the goods and services choose who to give their property to.

Of course this COMPLETELY discounts public sector jobs. You don't have to agree with American values to be American, that's one of the things that makes America America. But a public position? Oh yes, you have to agree with America to be in a public office. . .
. . . that is to say you have to agree with the people who elected you, as a servant of the people, otherwise they wouldn't elect you.
If any employer of a public job where to discriminate in employment it would be completely un-American, that is to say it would not and should not be in their capacity to commit something that people in America disagree with BECAUSE they have not been elected by the people!

That leaves three solutions.
#1, Affirmative Action for public office.
#2, eliminate any position in which the people not elected could create jobs (my personal favorite as a follower of the Austrian School, like Mises and Hayek and those folks). That means ridiculous things like abolishing the Federal Reserve - oh, that's privately owned, nevermind - how about the Department of Justice? Agriculture? FDA? Education? Eh, they're probably not discriminatory anyways.
#3, completely ignore it and let the public sector do whatever it wants.

Now the public job point could seem completely moot, but. . . actually, I came back a few hours after writing this and completely forgot where I was going. I think I was going to try and illustrate the difference between the public and the private and something. . . oh well.

Lastly, the inefficiency of the bureaucracy. To punish a whole group for ones actions is foolish and destroys efficiency and brings down the genuine hard working employers who want to give that equal opportunity but happened to pick the 'wrong' one because of some OTHER reason, and it won't solve much of anything, it is even more so foolish, both in concerns to rights of privacy and choice, to create a gestapo to identify the intent of every employer when they employ one over another.

What can we do?

I don't know if that's a topic for a different discussion, but to me and for me it is a purely different discussion and a social consideration or blanket punishment is out of the question. That's when we start talking about theoretical economics, philosophy, theology, sociology, psychology, and theology. Frankly I don't think I'm ready for that myself, too insecure beyond what I've said here, but eh, with computers and internet you can get the viewpoints and information out of anything.

So for whatever admittedly stupid or immoral reason or intent someone may give or have for not employing one person over the other it is no grounds to take away everyone's rights to make a smart or moral decision or that stupid and immoral decision.
At least that's how I think.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
???

I'm really confused to that analogy.

In any case, could you elaborate please? I think you have to eliminate any sense of power within a society for that to happen, plus disagreements. Power corrupts, disagreement can turn in to hate (it can happen). As a society that needs a proper sense of identity to live, how is this possible at the current time? I'm just not following you. :/

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
???

I'm really confused to that analogy.

In any case, could you elaborate please? I think you have to eliminate any sense of power within a society for that to happen, plus disagreements. Power corrupts, disagreement can turn in to hate (it can happen). As a society that needs a proper sense of identity to live, how is this possible at the current time? I'm just not following you. :/
I don't think that any individual, let alone society makes someone equal or unequal, I believe it is inherent to each person.
You can be physically different but equal, such as men and women, we are equals but in no way are we alike (in regards to just how different humans can be, catface =3).

And another key word, and this may seem like a cop-out or excuse, is the word 'can', people's hearts just have to change, though it may seem impossible.

In regards to the French thing, during their revolution they took heavy inspiration from our constitution. They added a Latin phrase which means 'by birth', basically they changed the wording of our constitution which simply says that men are created equal to men are genetically conceived or created or birthed equal. It's all in regards to who has the power to define equal, I believe it's God and not society, and some believe it's society.
By that line of thinking a society that allows people to believe in God and equally as importantly a society that doesn't put forth into the supreme law of the land any entitlement to anyone, as it goes under the false presumption that they define who is equal and who is not.

Those are ideals, not what's going on right now.
At least that's what I think, if that helped explain the analogy any, I don't know. I confused myself a lot when writing this too, so in the end I may be just as confused as you.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I don't think that any individual, let alone society makes someone equal or unequal, I believe it is inherent to each person.
You can be physically different but equal, such as men and women, we are equals but in no way are we alike (in regards to just how different humans can be, catface =3).

And another key word, and this may seem like a cop-out or excuse, is the word 'can', people's hearts just have to change, though it may seem impossible.

In regards to the French thing, during their revolution they took heavy inspiration from our constitution. They added a Latin phrase which means 'by birth', basically they changed the wording of our constitution which simply says that men are created equal to men are genetically conceived or created or birthed equal. It's all in regards to who has the power to define equal, I believe it's God and not society, and some believe it's society.
By that line of thinking a society that allows people to believe in God and equally as importantly a society that doesn't put forth into the supreme law of the land any entitlement to anyone, as it goes under the false presumption that they define who is equal and who is not.

Those are ideals, not what's going on right now.
At least that's what I think, if that helped explain the analogy any, I don't know. I confused myself a lot when writing this too, so in the end I may be just as confused as you.
Oh, I may have mis-read you. I'm talking about a perfect society, rather than an egalitarian one, which are two different things, though sometimes related. In any case, that's more-or-less been discussed. =)

Top Bottom