• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Advanced Techniques?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
You dont need AT, to enjoy the game. You DO however need them if you want play in competitive circles.
I highly doubt you would be able to beat your average competitive smasher, and you probably wouldnt even touch Mewtwo king or PC chris without them.

Smash is a game and the goal is to have fun. You can have fun with or without AT but don't come on this forums saying that we all suck because we use them, that is just lame.

I dont see why someone would just not like the ATs. They add a tremendous amount of debth to this game and gives the audience a huge amount of room to improve. Its rare to see a game so different at the higher levels of play, i think its awesome. The gap between the competitive and non-competitive smashers is so great because of this.

So if you wanna keep playing kiddy smash go on ahead. Play whatever way you have fun. But don't try and put us down just cause we're good at this game.

Hungry Gamer

Smash Apprentice
Fine, fine, whatever, I know when to give up. But none of you understood what I was trying to say.

Many of you used attacks that were not ment to be in the game. These attacks were anything that took advantage of the frame rate, wavedashing in particular. I wasn't pushing my opinion on you (some of you are so sensitive), but merly explaining that... screw it, STOP WORSHIPING THOSE GLITCHES! Thats what I'm trying to say!

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Fine, fine, whatever, I know when to give up. But none of you understood what I was trying to say.

Many of you used attacks that were not ment to be in the game. These attacks were anything that took advantage of the frame rate, wavedashing in particular. I wasn't pushing my opinion on you (some of you are so sensitive), but merly explaining that... screw it, STOP WORSHIPING THOSE GLITCHES! Thats what I'm trying to say!
What if I choose to believe the formalist artist/philosphers method of thought wherein the intentions of the games designers means nothing and the game lives sepperate from the hands of its creator in it's own reality in which all these ''glitches'' are a consequence of the games programming?

Then my opinion would be entirely different from yours, and it is. Should I make a thread about it and whine like a little scrub *****? Nope.

Edit : 2500 posts? coolz.

SipherothXIII

Smash Apprentice

ANTA BAKA.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
I don't really want to touch this thread, but I'm just gonna say this:

Advanced techniques are only fun if you want to see how good you can be. Otherwise, if you don't care about being good at this game, learning them won't do much for you.

blu3moon23

Smash Cadet
its necessary after the point where u master regular play. I mean if u can do it, do it, it'll only make u better.

robyextreme

Smash Ace
What are so imporatant about them that it causes some of you to deside not to play Brawl without them? As I said before in another thread, I only view the "Advanced Techniques" as glitches. They are alterations of the games physics, and everyone knows you shouldn't break the law of physics.

No, I don't know how to wavedash, L- Cancel, or others, but it doesn't mean I have to. I could probably beat some of you who use those techniques, so they are not truely that important. Oh and another thing, not to put anyone down or anything, but if you say your not that good without those techniques, have you ever thought that you where just bad at smash?

So please explain to me, what do you get out of ATs? Wouldn't this still be a great game without them?
Go back to GameFaqs, you'll fit right in along with the others.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor

Dude, you're the one that's not listening to anyone.
pay attention, I'm going to break this down for you.

1. Wavedashing was PUT INTO THE GAME by its developers. They DESIGNED the game so that when you airdodge into the ground, you'll slide across the ground. It's not a glitch. The game was MADE that way.

2. L-Canceling was PUT INTO THE GAME by its developers.

Nothing you've mentioned is a glitch. About 90% of the advanced techniques are things that were PUT INTO THE GAME by the developers.

And you can't use the argument that "they didn't intend for us to play that way"

Because they didn't intend for us to use X and Y as the primary jump buttons or Z as the primary grab button either, yet I bet you use X and Y to jump and Z to grab don't you.

Read this post if you read no other.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Many of you used attacks that were not ment to be in the game.
You have no idea whether or not they were meant to be in the game. In fact someone else earlier claimed that one thing WAS supposed to be in the game, and you demanded a source. Shouldn't I do the same thing for you?

Not to mention that you haven't proved why we should play the way the developers intended. I think they intended us to discover every single obscurity of the game, even ones they didn't know existed.

These attacks were anything that took advantage of the frame rate, wavedashing in particular. I wasn't pushing my opinion on you (some of you are so sensitive), but merly explaining that... screw it, STOP WORSHIPING THOSE GLITCHES! Thats what I'm trying to say!
WD and Lcancel aren't glitches, but the real point is:

The game IS...what the game IS. If it's in the game, then it's PART OF THE GAME. That's what Smash IS, is a game with Lcanceling and Wavedashing and edgeteching and whatnot. To deny that is to limit yourself. To say "Wavedashing breaks the rules of physics of the game" is not true. Laws of physics CANNOT be broken. Wavedashing clearly follows from the physics of the game, just like other real obscure physical effects (like say, the Coriolis effect) follow from simpler actual physical laws.

The only time things are banned is when they actually break the game so as to make it unplayable, like Ice Climber freeze glitch; there are severe imbalances, like Fox on Hyrule; or it introduces undesirable gameplay elements, like items (since exploding capsules, etc can't be turned off).

SUMMARY: No offense, but you're the very definition of the scrub because you're bound up in some esoteric kind of "honor code" that has no meaning or authority to anyone else and is basically arbitrary. And again, I'm not trying to berate you, because you're clearly brave enough to post your thoughts about this on a board full of people who'd flame you to death for your words, but if you break yourself of your scrubdom you will not only be a better smasher but a better person altogether, I'm serious.

Obligatory link: http://www.sirlin.net/archive/playing-to-win-part-1/

I highly suggest reading everything Sirlin has written here.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
This thread has been tremendously helpful to me. I spent 2 years not using advanced techniques...that was when I actually had FUN. But then I got into ATs. When I first l-canceled I felt like I was king of the world. But then I started doing it more and more. Soon I couldn't even get through the day without wavedashing SOMETHING. I was standing on the street corner begging for shffls. It wasn't until I saw this thread that I realized what I terrible mistake I've made; thank you Hungry Gamer, I now understand the horrifying travesty playing smash has become for me. Now if you'll all excuse me, I'm going to go charge up some smash attacks on Hyrule.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
What the hell are you talking about? Video games don't have rules.

pmak187

Smash Cadet
learn advanced techniques first and then decide whether you like them or not. i much prefer the game after learning them.

Brookman

Smash Hero
What are so imporatant about them that it causes some of you to deside not to play Brawl without them? As I said before in another thread, I only view the "Advanced Techniques" as glitches. They are alterations of the games physics, and everyone knows you shouldn't break the law of physics.

No, I don't know how to wavedash, L- Cancel, or others, but it doesn't mean I have to. I could probably beat some of you who use those techniques, so they are not truely that important. Oh and another thing, not to put anyone down or anything, but if you say your not that good without those techniques, have you ever thought that you where just bad at smash?

So please explain to me, what do you get out of ATs? Wouldn't this still be a great game without them?
I know how you feel and where you're coming from, but no, the advanced techniques are not glitches or flaws in the system. Things like l canceling existed in ssb64 as well. The advanced techniques do just what their name says. ADVANCE THE GAME.

If it weren't for said techniques you wouldn't even be on this website talking about this stuff. Advanced techniques MAKE competitive melee. If there were no l-canceling there would be no reason for anyone to play this game seriously.

If you like to play this game for fun, that's all well and good. However, if you are a competitive person, and compete in this game with some of your local friends, maybe you yourself should get over the stigma you believe the advanced play in melee has.

edit:

Sorry that you had to come in and get bashed by all those noobs. And you're right, a lot of people are really sensitive about the "Glitches" on these boards.

That's why though, they aren't glitches. You seem to be under the impression that you're the first person to think that sort of thing, but you're not, **** like this has been going on since the dawn of time. You either get better or get left in the piles of **** that good players will put you in.

And you are ignorant, you yourself admitted that in your first post when you said you didn't know how to do them, and you also don't know the reason most of them work (hell, I've been using the advanced techs for years and I still don't know how they work in terms of the physics.)

Do me a favor and and get over this self righteous belief that the "glitches" that nintendo mostly put into the game on purpose anyway, ruin the game. Like you said "STOP WORSHIPING THOSE GLITCHES!" The only players who actually WORSHIP GLITCHES are people who don't actually play the game. cause the "glitches are just a normal part of the game to us, like picking a character or stage.

Could you even list all the "glitches" that advanced play uses? There really are none. WOAH WAVEDASHING ISN"T EXPLAINED IN THE HOW TO PLAY VIDEO HAX. etc.

One of my neighbors, and a potentially great player falls to the belief that advanced tactics ruin the game, and rob it of it's fun. But it increases the competitive value of the game, and if you aren't playing a fighting game to compete then you might as well go play a suck *** game like rune scape.

You are entitled to your own opinion, despite what some people have made it look like through this topic. But I implore you to at least learn more about something before you decide it's evil, otherwise you really are just ignorant. Ignorance is bliss though. So be a happy idiot if you want. I'll continue having fun competing at high levels with all my friends and fellow smashers.

vZakat

Half Genie
The only things that are glitches are the things they removed from version 1.1 and 1.2. (i.e. ylink's boomerang jump glitch)

Brookman

Smash Hero
The only things that are glitches are the things they removed from version 1.1 and 1.2. (i.e. ylink's boomerang jump glitch)
I don't even understand why they removed things like that, or bowser's instant fire. As if they were awfully game breaking or something. It's the old joke:

The developers are pondering what they will remove within their deadline and within their budget.

Sheiks down throw chain grab on half the cast and bowser's instant fire are brought to the leaders attention, to which he responds:

"WHAT THE ****?! Bowser can breathe fire instantly?!"

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
These threads are so hillarius. These people, of which we have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH, get sooo tremendously butthurt over the way we play the game, it's astounding. It's even funnier when they come to our forum and get anally destroyed by our arguments, and it always ends with "You just didn't understand what i was trying to say!".

It's equally as funny when they try to claim that they could beat us at SSBM without advanced techs. Uh, hello? Your entire argument is to handicap yourself. You will get four-stocked.

Note to future anti-AV posters (we all know there will be some, in which this whole process will repeat itself without fail): NINTENDO DOESN'T CARE IF YOU PLAY THEIR GAME WITH ADVANCED TECHNIQUES. THEY'RE NOT GOING TO HATE YOU FOR IT. EVEN IF THEY DID, IT'S NOT YOUR PROBLEM AS LONG AS YOU'RE ENJOYING YOURSELF.

D

Deleted member

...bet you he hates every game b/c of adv. techs... and I bet you he plays Halo and goes "BXR isn't a glitch"... for crying out loud... if it wasn't intended in the game's programming, then it's a glitch... an example in SSBM is if you were to randomly fall through FD... adv. techs = better skills = faster gameplay = beating more noobs...

Imperial Wraith

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I thought HungryGamer was gonna put up a good argument. Unfortuantly he/she has degenerated considerably.

Also, but a copy of smash, learn to use ATs, go to tourneys. Find the **** out for yourself, and see that we were right all along.

Also, a Luigi that doesnt "worship" wavedashing is no Luigi at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom