• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's the new OP character?

luminouskaiser

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lewmonkaizer
3DS FC
0774-4536-1115
In 64, it was Pikachu. In Melee, it was Fox. In Brawl, it was Meta Knight (which we will never speak of ever again). Now for SBB for 3DS and Wii U, who do you think is the new OP character. IMO, i think it's Little Mac.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's none other than :4diddy:

D Throw + U Air for days

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
There couple of them!

:rosalina:-Those Up smash and the Luma.
:4diddy:-Freaking Air attacks, Why the air attacks are soo strong.
:4pacman:-Sometime I had trouble with this guy... Fire Hydrant...
:4zss:-The DownB is very good. And UpB is totally ridiculous powerful compared to others UpB, Way to powerful.
:4lucario:-When in 100%, He become Very cheap. You can feel the Aura effect better but my gawds he can be 160% and in tree hits you got like 50% in merely of a second.

But the one I say: "Becoming S tier" are :4diddy::rosalina::4lucario:. They all have good recovery Option (Diddy depends), They Hit very hard, They have powerful projectile(Diddy have bananas!), powerful air attacks and sometime are really, but really fast.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
We can't know, here's something we have this time around that the previous games didn't have: updates

Don't compare S-tier characters in this game to previous games, compare it more to Project M, like how they had Ivysaur, Mewtwo, Lucas, etc etc. Smash 4 has Diddy, Rosa and Lucario as the most used characters. It's not Little Mac, high-tier characters are based off of how good they are, not how easy they are to use, Little Mac was considered OP because scrubs could use him easily while the game was still new.

Oh yeah, and get ready for the three magic words: IT'S TOO EARLY

Last edited:

Xheracross

Smash Rookie
NNID
XenoJake
As of now, there is no Fox/Meta Knight for Smash 4. It would have been :rosalina: if not for the patch.

:4diddy: is no where near the level of :foxmelee: or :metaknight:, he's just overused at the moment because he's easy to use. Smash 4 will be the most balanced Smash game.

Kozmiic27

Smash Apprentice
As of now, there is no Fox/Meta Knight for Smash 4. It would have been :rosalina: if not for the patch.

:4diddy: is no where near the level of :foxmelee: or :metaknight:, he's just overused at the moment because he's easy to use. Smash 4 will be the most balanced Smash game.
Dafuq kid meta knights not even that great hes got crap prioritys along with his low combo pot, fox is only good if ur opponents a complete idiot or u know how to fox trot uptilt string. and diddy isnt easy to use, u may think diddy is just dthrow up air but hes way more complex than that and thats how u tell the fake diddys from the real ones

Last edited:

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Dafuq kid meta knights not even that great hes got crap prioritys along with his low combo pot, fox is only good if ur opponents a complete idiot or u know how to fox trot uptilt string. and diddy isnt easy to use, u may think diddy is just dthrow up air but hes way more complex than that and thats how u tell the fake diddys from the real ones
He's referring to Fox in Melee and Meta-Knight in Brawl, you have no right to call anyone kid.

Last edited:

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
In 64, it was Pikachu. In Melee, it was Fox. In Brawl, it was Meta Knight (which we will never speak of ever again). Now for SBB for 3DS and Wii U, who do you think is the new OP character. IMO, i think it's Little Mac.
Are people I denial about how ****ty little Mac is or do they genuinely think he's good..? Probably about 30% of my 1v1 battles online are against little mac, and even on a nice flat omega stage it's still always the easiest fight of my life. He's not only extremely predictable, but if you hit him once he's in the air and done for.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
There couple of them!

:rosalina:-Those Up smash and the Luma.
:4diddy:-Freaking Air attacks, Why the air attacks are soo strong.
:4pacman:-Sometime I had trouble with this guy... Fire Hydrant...
:4zss:-The DownB is very good. And UpB is totally ridiculous powerful compared to others UpB, Way to powerful.
:4lucario:-When in 100%, He become Very cheap. You can feel the Aura effect better but my gawds he can be 160% and in tree hits you got like 50% in merely of a second.

But the one I say: "Becoming S tier" are :4diddy::rosalina::4lucario:. They all have good recovery Option (Diddy depends), They Hit very hard, They have powerful projectile(Diddy have bananas!), powerful air attacks and sometime are really, but really fast.
If you consider 7 players to be OP that actually just becomes a pretty balanced top tier.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
We can't know, here's something we have this time around that the previous games didn't have: updates

Don't compare S-tier characters in this game to previous games, compare it more to Project M, like how they had Ivysaur, Mewtwo, Lucas, etc etc. Smash 4 has Diddy, Rosa and Lucario as the most used characters. It's not Little Mac, high-tier characters are based off of how good they are, not how easy they are to use, Little Mac was considered OP because scrubs could use him easily while the game was still new.

Oh yeah, and get ready for the three magic words: IT'S TOO EARLY
^
This. A thousand times.

MSDChaos

Smash Rookie
OP is a buzzword thrown around too much. Diddy's Uair is very strong, but other than that he is just a very good character.
If there even is an OP character, it's still early, and would probably be patched. The game is pretty balanced really.

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
Right now I think most people agree it's Rosalina or Diddy.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
It's not Little Mac, high-tier characters are based off of how good they are, not how easy they are to use, Little Mac was considered OP because scrubs could use him easily while the game was still new.
:4littlemac: is good, though. He hits way too hard and has super shield on everything. Him being terrible in the air doesn't balance the pure chaos he does 98% of the time during battle which is mainly on the ground. That's a "balanced" character in theory, but there's many factors with omega stages being one of them that negates that entire idea.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
:4littlemac: is good, though. He hits way too hard and has super shield on everything. Him being terrible in the air doesn't balance the pure chaos he does 98% of the time during battle which is mainly on the ground. That's a "balanced" character in theory, but there's many factors with omega stages being one of them that negates that entire idea.
I'm not saying he's bad, he's very good, but my point was that he's not top-tier. I think 1HKO punch is silly, and think that if Little Mac gets a 1HKO move, all characters should, but that's not enough to be top-tier at the moment. Maybe people will find a crazy tech for him or something.

Last edited:

genesis_SOC

Smash Cadet
NNID
genesis_SOC
Currently it's Diddy but thankfully this Smash is getting active balance patches. But it's definitely too early to tell for sure.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Compared to the other characters, I think that it's gotta be:4diddy:at this point in time, though:4lucario:is certainly another candidate. Aura + Rage =:bomb:

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I'm not saying he's bad, he's very good, but my point was that he's not top-tier. I think 1HKO punch is silly, and think that if Little Mac gets a 1HKO move, all characters should, but that's not enough to be top-tier at the moment. Maybe people will find a crazy tech for him or something.
Word, player. :4duckhunt:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Even Diddy isn't OP this game. Just seems like he is the most solid character right now (and if they just fixed the U-air and/or maybe the D-throw, he'd be perfectly balanced).

In fact, he has at least one poor match-up in Rosalina - grabbing her is more difficult because of Luma, and GP screws up his banana game entirely. Using a banana against Rosalina is asking to get tripped up by it before you even let go of it. And because of that, he has to rely on normals a lot, but they aren't as long ranged as Rosalina's attacks. Plus, she's harder to combo because she is light.

And OP/broken character is one that has no poor match-ups, and generally has a good few match-ups that are insanely in their favour. This is not Diddy, or any other character, right now.

However, I do believe Diddy, Rosalina, Yoshi, Sonic, and Sheik are the 5 most solid characters in the game. I think Mii Brawler is gonna be really good before long too.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
What are Diddy's bad matchups then?
Rosalina for one, as I just explained.

I honestly don't know enough about him to say anyone else, but I have fought Diddy quite a bit as Rosalina, and I've never had trouble with him. Once you discover you can screw up his banana game, and that Luma can help prevent him from grabbing you, you're pretty much golden. Plus, Rosalina can K.O him early, especially with the rage effect.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You can, but I doubt she's the only character that can do well against him. Sonic can be hard to catch, for example, and certain characters can just play a long ranged game. Yoshi is also just really solid all around too.

Again, Diddy is no Brawl Meta Knight. He just has two moves that are a little silly in combination with each other. He still has very big weaknesses though (short range on a lot of attacks, and his recovery is easy to gimp, and Diddy can even mess it up easily himself).

Last edited:

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
diddy, zss, shiek, lucario all seem winnable, just players need to get used to.

example: catching diddy banana been doing it a lot and throwing it back at diddy then grabbing.

two character that needs to be fixed is Sonic and Mario based on my experience though.

sonic - very very difficult to punish*** and has high KO power. I think mac can easily beat sonic but except that I think sonic is most broken with the right hands.

so far the roster seems quite balanced for a 50 character roster game.

Xheracross

Smash Rookie
NNID
XenoJake
Can people please shut the **** up about Diddy's Dthrow to Uair. Lots of characters have very similar kill combos. Luigi can Dthrow to Down-B and kill most of the cast from 80%-110%, just like Diddy. Meta Knight can kill with Dthrow to Up-B from 83% on Mario. Lots of characters have similar kill potential from a grab.

What makes Diddy so formidable at the moment is everything else. Monkey grab, bananas, Dtilt to Fair or a grab. There's more to Diddy than Uair.

Last edited:

Xheracross

Smash Rookie
NNID
XenoJake
Not only are you competely wrong about everything you just said, if you'd recognised the icons I used, you'd realise it was Fox from Melee and Meta Knight from Brawl.

It's a bit early in Smash 4's life to write off characters as crap. Meta Knight has follow-ups from grabs including Up-B which can kills from 80%-100% when sweetspotted and his Uair can still juggle. He has trouble approaching some characters but he's not without potential at all. Saying Fox is bad shows you have no experience against top players at all. Just like how you say Diddy isn't just Dthrow Uair, Fox isn't just UpTilt. He has a true 30% combo from 0% with Dthrow, Fair, Uair and can combo out of Illusion/dash attack. Lasers + kill moves like Usmash, Bair and Uair make Fox top tier without question.

*Sorry for double post.

Last edited:

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
Yeah, currently it's probably Rosalina or Diddy, but it's mostly just knee jerk reactions for now.
And Little Mac isn't OP, not in a million years. Mac is very easy to counter as long as you play smart, though I will hand it to him, his super armour can be very deceiving sometimes.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Can people please shut the **** up about Diddy's Dthrow to Uair. Lots of characters have very similar kill combos. Luigi can Dthrow to Down-B and kill most of the cast from 80%-110%, just like Diddy. Meta Knight can kill with Dthrow to Up-B from 83% on Mario. Lots of characters have similar kill potential from a grab.

What makes Diddy so formidable at the moment is everything else. Monkey grab, bananas, Dtilt to Fair or a grab. There's more to Diddy than Uair.
While I personally think Diddy's D-Throw could stand to be tweaked a little (just make it that it stops working as a confirmed follow up starter to U-Air from lower percents), I do agree with this. It isn't the reason Diddy is good, Diddy is good because he is very nimble and against most characters, and can gain a lot of stage control against a large portion of the cast. He's not broken by any stretch though, he's just the best in the game in the right hands. I know about Diddy's D-Throw to U-Air, but I still suck with him, so I definitely would not call him brain dead either.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Currently Diddy, and thankfully prone to change. It'll vary a bit with each patch until they stop patching, at which point we'll hopefully not have a single "best" character, but many (ideally 52 or more, counting Mewtwo and any future) very good characters.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Apparently no more balance patches or something according to Eventscrubs, according to Famitsu, according to Sakurai.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/...ther-outside-fixes-improve-online-experience/

You are free to take it with a grain of salt. This is Eventscrubs we're talking about.
My grain of salt is that unplanned doesn't mean never happening. But we'll see. I'd like the game to reach a somewhat better-balanced state before it settles out. Better to get the patches done early in the game's life so people can get around to sinking their thousands of hours without complaining more if it changes.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
My grain of salt is that unplanned doesn't mean never happening. But we'll see. I'd like the game to reach a somewhat better-balanced state before it settles out. Better to get the patches done early in the game's life so people can get around to sinking their thousands of hours without complaining more if it changes.
Ye but what if people are wrong with the tier list, then that means were patching the wrong characters, we should give it a year or so, then patch. This will change the game making people come back to it IMO.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
someone can't accept his favorite ape is too good...way too good.

expect nerfs in near future

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman

You say there's more to diddy, but look all you state is his banana and grab. Which pretty much in general what were saying grab and uair. By that I mean how banana is the set up for the grab and uair kill. Plus his short hop uair. It's how easy it is to use that uair to kill unlike luigi and meta knight it's difficult.

Also CALM THE FK DOWN.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
You say there's more to diddy, but look all you state is his banana and grab. Which pretty much in general what were saying grab and uair. By that I mean how banana is the set up for the grab and uair kill. Plus his short hop uair. It's how easy it is to use that uair to kill unlike luigi and meta knight it's difficult.

Also CALM THE FK DOWN.
You're saying to calm down, but then (almost) swear and start going all caps? Much convincing.

Top Bottom