• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's still sticking around when the Wii U version comes out?

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
There may have been a post about this, but it's outdated so I thought I would make one myself.

I'm reading stuff like Smash 4 3ds is too small and when the Wii U version comes out everyone will play that instead. Who is still gonna be playing it casually and competitively?

Khao

Smash Lord
I'm a sort-of programmer, so at my job, I play on my 3DS while waiting for my code to compile.

So yeah, I'll still be playing on 3DS after getting my hands on the Wii U version.

Gamecube

Smash Cadet
Yeah I would still play it. Not that often though. I would mainly just use it for travel and such but other than that, I don't see myself playing much at all after the Wii U version comes

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I'll still be playing the 3DS version since I don't own a Wii U yet.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
I think I'll still play it, but not that much. Maybe when I'm away like in vacation.
But first, I need a Wii U, that's the main reason.

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
I'll be sticking around, Im getting the Wii U version as well but nothing will be stopping me from playing the 3Ds version if Im called.

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
I'll still play it since I'm not going to get the Wii U version right away.

Niala

Smash Ace
There's a massive subset of smashers who own a 3DS and not a WiiU, and I'd say a majority of them don't intend on buying a WiiU. I expect the transition, therefore, to be painfully slow, but eventually the amount of 3DS Smashers will dwindle. Maybe 7-8 years into the lifespan of this iteration of Smash we can expect the 3DS player population to be negligible, simply because the competitive scene will likely lean towards the WiiU controller options over time. However, immediately upon release, I would expect the opposite-- probably 60-70% of people will be Smashing on their 3DS, with the remainder on the WiiU.

So, in short, no, I wouldn't expect the people playing the 3DS to plummet upon the WiiU release.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
My brother and I share both consoles, so whatever he isn't playing, I'll play.

It all balances out evenly.

Soul.

Yes, I'm still going to play Smash 3DS even if the Wii U version is out.

D

Deleted member

I don't have a Wii U, and if I have one, I wouldn't play that version as much, so yes, I'll still play Smash 3DS.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'm still gonna play the 3DS version even when the Wii U version comes out.
That way I have a whole day of Smash Bros. time nonstop until I drop dead. :p

Last edited:

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
I'm sticking around, but only because I can't get the Wii U till about Christmas. I'll still play it, just maybe a bit less often, but I won't drop it and never touch it again.

Trickerhere

Smash Ace
I will keep playing the 3DS version until December 5th lol. Dat Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix Son. Probably just play Smash 3DS with my friend whenever. Hopefully getting the Wii U version around Christmas time.

linhgame

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Linh-Game
3DS FC
1736-0779-8050
I will keep playing the 3DS version until December 5th lol. Dat Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix Son. Probably just play Smash 3DS with my friend whenever. Hopefully getting the Wii U version around Christmas time.
Kingdom Hearts 2.5 Remix and Super Smash Bros. Wii U is gonna be awesome.

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
There's already a thread like this. But no. Only people who will be playing are people who are traveling, people with no Wii U and friends with no Wii U. I'll just unlock everything before Wii U version comes out and then I'll never touch it again unless I'm traveling.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I was originally planning to play Smash 3DS even after Smash Wii U is out, but I changed my mind after playing Smash 3DS for 80ish hours. The game is severely lacking in content and while I don't think the 3DS controls are as bad as some people here claim them to be, they definitely aren't THE ideal.

That said, the main reason I am dropping Smash 3DS is because I am planning to sell my 3DS once Smash Wii U is out. There is nothing I want to play on the system anymore, plus most games I played on it were either mediocre or disappointing or both. So yeah, I am not sticking around after November 21th.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
3DS will still get a lot of use from me in college and what not.

However, I am aiming to complete all single-player tasks/the Challenges Panels on 3DS before the Wii U version is out, and I'm getting close. Therefore, the 3DS version will be exclusively be used to grind for custom stuff (while I'm not at home), to play online with anyone who wants to play with me on 3DS specifically, to play Smash Run (since I do enjoy the mode), and if I really feel like playing on 3DS stages. Oh, and for general practice away from home. And maybe if the TV is taken.

Wii U will be the one I play a lot more at home in general, though.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
This game is so dead to me already, the only thing that keeps me going every once in a while is the fact that I have 12 hats left to unlock. I got all the rest, so if those hats are available on WiiU somehow, Sm4sh 3DS will be forever forgotten by me. I just hope everything I did on it reflects on WiiU, or it would be really a lot of wasted time.

Ampetrix

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christopaz
3DS FC
4527-8084-1972
I would, I'm at college and stuck in a dorm which has lackluster TV, so the 3DS version would take the majority of my time rather than the Wii U version. I'll only be able to play the Wii U version during the weekends, even that I might be rarely online since something is wrong between my internet and Nintendo's server(even in AC:NL, geez).

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I would. Obviously I won't be on often as I am now but that's because, well the Wii U version duh. I would play the 3ds version if I don't want to get out of my bed, traveling, or just feel like playing the 3ds version instead of the Wii U which I do for some games that have a home console game and the handheld game. (Am I the only one that does this?)

NinjaWaddleDee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NinjaWaddleDee
I just got the game two weeks ago, and I've just started to play Earthbound for the first time recently. :p So now I only play it when I go out lol. And after Earthbound, I'll be getting Pokémon ORAS. And THAT will hold me until Christmas, when I will get Smash Wii U. But seriously, Earthbound is just as amazing as people said it was. I freaking love it. We need a sequel/remake for Wii U.

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
I'm scared for the future of Smash 3DS. I think it will just be abandoned and will have no scene. I don't even HAVE the game yet (Getting it on Monday or earlier) and people are already saying it's lackluster.

ToxicWolf1132

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToxicWolf1132
Since my wii u isn't connected to the Internet, and most likely never will be, I'm going to keep playing on smash 3ds. I am worried though, since many people are leaving the game so quickly. I really hope this game's online community doesn't die immediately after wii u version, but if it does, I'll still have the ai and friends to play against

Tshockz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
speed0fsound
3DS FC
1762-3005-1769
I am not going to leave the 3ds version entirely but once I get the wii u version I mainly plan to spend most of my time on it.

Soul.

I'm scared for the future of Smash 3DS. I think it will just be abandoned and will have no scene. I don't even HAVE the game yet (Getting it on Monday or earlier) and people are already saying it's lackluster.
Dude, Smash 3DS will be alright. This game has its Skype group, which means it has a community. I've said this a lot of times, but here: not everything is going to be Wii U every single time.
Mario Kart 8, a Wii U game, didn't stop Mario Kart 7 (a 3DS game) from being played. The latter has its own Skype group, too, and that one is full of players that are supporting MK7. I still see people playing the game online, most notably clan members. The same could happen to Smash 3DS, a Skype group with lots of players in there supporting their game.

Last edited:

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
i have a feeling that due to the severe lack of wiiu owners out there compared to 3ds, that most of us wont quit on the 3ds anyway. I wouldnt doubt it if the Connect to WiiU feature allows 3ds and wiiu to play together, but thats a local thing where the speed of the systems wouldnt have too big of an issue. Across the internet, however, i suspect there would be major problems if For Glory tried to connect a WiiU to a 3DS player.
Because of that, i bet the online play of the WiiU will be fairly barren. WiiU will be used for tournaments purely because its much more stream-friendly and allows local viewers to watch the game. Personal play? Doubt anyone will toss the 3DS version away for good.

Minuy600

Smash Apprentice
I will because I don't even have a Wii U yet. But when I do get the game, I will still play it, but slightly less than before.

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
Once I get the Wii U version, I will be able to play Smash online everywhere, and I will have fully lost control of my life to this game. I will opt for GC controls, but I'll play what's on hand.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
There is nothing in the Wii U version that interests me so far, apart from some of the stages and the ability to play with a controller (both of which are remedied with PM). I'm going to stick with the 3DS version for years to come, no matter how popular the Wii U version gets.

I was originally planning to play Smash 3DS even after Smash Wii U is out, but I changed my mind after playing Smash 3DS for 80ish hours. The game is severely lacking in content and while I don't think the 3DS controls are as bad as some people here claim them to be, they definitely aren't THE ideal.

That said, the main reason I am dropping Smash 3DS is because I am planning to sell my 3DS once Smash Wii U is out. There is nothing I want to play on the system anymore, plus most games I played on it were either mediocre or disappointing or both. So yeah, I am not sticking around after November 21th.
...Welp, looks like it's goodbye then, friend. :(

Last edited:

Zumakito

Smash Rookie
Probably not going to be playing it much at home, obviously. I really hope (for the people without Wii Us) that the online still has a good amount of people on it. God speed, those of you who don't have a Wii U.

Cherubas

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4746-9812
I don't own a Wii U and I"m currently not planning to buy one for prettier graphics and a board game. Plus I have at least 4 friends that I know for a fact are getting the Wii U version so I'll be able to play it there if for some reason I feel like I'm really jonesing for that Wii U goodness. In short: I'll still be playing the 3DS version until they kill the servers or give me Smash 5.

A Gray Person

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gray21oh
3DS FC
1719-3271-0480
It'll be a fair while before I can get a Wii U so as of now I'm gonna be sticking around 3DS until I get a Wii U whenever that will be. I mean right now I wanna focus on getting a new laptop so it'll definitely be a bit or even a long while because I can get Wii U.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'll most likely play both versions of Sm4sh equally (maybe even try using my 3DS as a controller at one point). Plus I take my 3DS on the go/at work/use it for the sleep mode music function.

However, my activity will probably dip for a while once Pokemon OR/AS comes out (coincidentally on the same U.S. release day for Smash 4 Wii U).

21lux

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4441-9077-6618
I may be biased because I don't even own a Wii U, but even if I did I'd probably just stick with the 3DS version. Honestly, compared to what some people say, I really don't think it's that bad compared to past games. However, I'm not a competitive player and just play to have a fun/relaxing time, and when I smash online, it's always For Fun and never in For Glory, so I can't speak for competitive players at all. But as a casual player, I really think the 3DS version is great, and will continue to play it for a long time. :)

Top Bottom