• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's better?

Hailzeon0079

Smash Cadet
Characters who have a lot of range can be a problem for diddy, such as marth or toon link.

The good thing is that many characters like those have pretty bad recovery, which diddy can edeguard with dairs, fairs, and the hump, and get kos at pretty low percentages.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
it's not really "what characters are good vs so-and-so?" it's the person behind the character that makes the difference. I could name off any number of characters, as, I believe each character can be good against the next. Though, obviously after the development of the characters' metagames some will rise above the rest and take the upper tiers. Only time will determine that...

Heck, even King Dedede can sit comfortably among those of the upper tier. Despite the fact that sites such as IGN continually bashed him saying that he is so ridiculously slow, and as such is a near broken character. Matt Cassamassina (Wii editor in chief at IGN) went on to say something along the lines of "If you're playing as King Dedede and you actually win often you're truly a gifted smash player." Ultimately, he was saying Dedede sucks, and there's little to no way to win as him, if you do, you're Godly. Funny... because he couldn't have been more wrong. I mean, after all, Dedede has one of the best chain grabs in the game, a great recovery, can fly, and is a powerhouse if you land his attacks.

Heh, enough about Dedede. Sorry, I got carried away. My advice for you in dealing with Diddy Kong is choosing a fast character, or even one with a decent range. Marth is fairly quick, and has good range due to his sword-- can't go wrong there. Just practice with each of the characters until you find one that suits you. Good luck.

-Orca

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
i know man, check out the start guide it is horrible. i believe marth got the highest score which is bull crap

soanevalcke6

Smash Rookie
I think Ill go with Toon link.
Marth ws my main in Melee, but he doesnt feel right compared to ToonLink and Meta Knight.

Also, Is there a guide that tells you who's "good" against who?

mr. costlow

Smash Rookie
i know man, check out the start guide it is horrible. i believe marth got the highest score which is bull crap
The thing there is that they didn't put all the important information into deciding his ranking. As far as the points they chose go he is probably the best character in the game but I think that their list was @ beginner's level. In advanced you look more at individual attacks like the aerial game and combos so things change there. I don't think the guide was too horribly off considering what they were looking at.

Anyways, back on subject. The best character against Diddy Kong is one that was played better :)

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Marth ws my main in Melee, but he doesnt feel right compared to ToonLink and Meta Knight.

that is something you'd have to figure out for yourself, based on all of the characters moves.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
dudes a character is always better than another, its not completely dependent on skill.

characters that live long like metaknight are hard for diddy.
also i think snake poses problems too

MrPancakes

Smash Rookie
Yeah well it does depend on the player's skill, but if both players were to be completely equal then it would relie on the character.

Anyways, Diddy's weakness are ranged characters, and characters that can reflect bananas. I can't say a specific character but Diddy does have trouble with a couple characters.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Maybe so, but as with any quick character their strength lies in the fact that ideally you are constantly rushing the enemy-- don't give them a second to breath. Diddy is sure as hell fast enough to be problematic, even to characters with projectiles (e.g. snake). Sure bananas are a huge part of his game, but, master teching and don't let Snake breath. I've found that Snake is a prime example of a character who is at his best at a distance (though yes, he does fair very well up-close). My friend plays Snake for example, and I've found that when I play him as Diddy (or especially Sonic -- omg ****) he doesn't have time to use Snake in a tactical fashion. For example, he doesn't have time to use down A to plant bombs--his remote bomb executes quickly, but it's easy to stay away from... His rocket can also be avoided easily enough, and if you get to Snake before he can cancel the rocket you can punish him.

So yeah... just aim to keep the fight up-close and personal with your opponents.

soanevalcke6

Smash Rookie
OK, I've gotten my answer from the 2nd and 7th post.

Please let this topic die before it turns into a "IGN vs. King Dedede" topic

elastickub

Smash Cadet
Characters who have a lot of range can be a problem for diddy, such as marth or toon link.

The good thing is that many characters like those have pretty bad recovery, which diddy can edeguard with dairs, fairs, and the hump, and get kos at pretty low percentages.
young link and marth have nice recoverys but i do agree with u because dids edgeguarding is amazing coming right of off melle to brawl helped me against my friends toon link

ThePurpleCobra

Smash Apprentice

Phanna wrote an entire matchup chart for melee but there isnt one out for brawl as of now. His chart is flawed but it can give u a good idea of matchups in melee. i love to use it as a refrence when i pick up a new character. There are the interesting matchups like pika having a big advantage over jiggly.

-IGN is a gaming website that reviewed brawl

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pit and Toon Link give me problems. Especially Pit, can't get through his arrows and bananas aren't as effective. Also, his Forward B reflects projectiles and he's quite a pain in the *** to kill sometimes.

SmashingFleX

Smash Apprentice
Pit and Toon Link give me problems. Especially Pit, can't get through his arrows and bananas aren't as effective. Also, his Forward B reflects projectiles and he's quite a pain in the *** to kill sometimes.
QFT, man!

I wrote Lucario in my last post here, but I meant Pit xD (don't know why, I watched a Diddy vs. Lucario Match so I was confused xD)

Pit gives me the Creeps -.- I'll open a Diddy vs. pit thread if no one exists yet :>

uber_micro16

Smash Rookie
I find that Marth is easy to counter if you get out of sword range. Once he's knocked down with a banana it gives you all sorts of options and his popgun can actually mess up his aerial approaches. Plus the Side b kick is a great way to get in close and start comboing. It's the same with Toon Link except you must watch out for the projectiles but the banana games is almost unstoppable once it starts just don't let T. Link breath when you start banana spamming follow with either a dash attack or maybe a dsmash or an fsmash.

Now moving on to Pit his recovery is easily spike-able (??) because the jumps are predictable , also his side b and down b only work from one side start glide tossing and reverse glide tossing when your behind him so you can follow up with some more attacks not to mention the side b has ending lag. And since he is light it's not that hard to get him off stage.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pit can still glide back in stages as Battlefield though, and apperantly when he glides into you if your severally damaged he could possibly Star KO you when you miss your Dair. Though I have to admit, I haven't tried edgeguarding with Dair much yet since I can't quite get the hang of it's hitbox. But in general, it's not killing Pit which is the biggest issue in this matchup, it are the goddaymn arrows. :p

Toon Link still has a advantage over Diddy I think. His projectiles are faster to execute (bombs being in his hands right away for example, also the Boomerang which is stronger than both the Popgun and Bananas) and arrows though not always completly useable are stronger and have greater reach and priority than peanuts and travel faster than bananas (not sure though). Also, his Fsmash is a killer move! For the rest... He's basically you, but with a disjointed hitbox. Though not unbeatable.

ROB seems to be a pretty good Diddy counter as well from what I've heard. Lucario is a pretty good matchup for Diddy I say, and I think he's got a slight advantage over Squirtle as well seeing as he lacks a solid projectile, runs slower and has worse reach than Diddy.

EDIT: OHH I forgot! Another advantage Toon Link has over Diddy is his shield. When Toon Link stands still, he automatically blocks the bananas and he could possibly pick them up and use them against you! Link ofcoarse can do this to but... that's just Link you know. ^^

Flow Wolf

Smash Apprentice
it's not really "what characters are good vs so-and-so?" it's the person behind the character that makes the difference. I could name off any number of characters, as, I believe each character can be good against the next. Though, obviously after the development of the characters' metagames some will rise above the rest and take the upper tiers. Only time will determine that...

Heck, even King Dedede can sit comfortably among those of the upper tier. Despite the fact that sites such as IGN continually bashed him saying that he is so ridiculously slow, and as such is a near broken character. Matt Cassamassina (Wii editor in chief at IGN) went on to say something along the lines of "If you're playing as King Dedede and you actually win often you're truly a gifted smash player." Ultimately, he was saying Dedede sucks, and there's little to no way to win as him, if you do, you're Godly. Funny... because he couldn't have been more wrong. I mean, after all, Dedede has one of the best chain grabs in the game, a great recovery, can fly, and is a powerhouse if you land his attacks.

Heh, enough about Dedede. Sorry, I got carried away. My advice for you in dealing with Diddy Kong is choosing a fast character, or even one with a decent range. Marth is fairly quick, and has good range due to his sword-- can't go wrong there. Just practice with each of the characters until you find one that suits you. Good luck.

-Orca
I find it intersting that there's always a response like that

Orca is a great name, by the way.... Getting 500 hits on him was annoying as hell!

Top Bottom