• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Who still uses the Classic Controller?

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Honestly, I hear all this hype bout the GameCube controller and "ooh, the GameCube controller is so shmexy". "It's the only way to play Smash." So I'm over here in my corner holding my CC Pro with my head down.
So if there's any believers out there, who still cling to the ancient ways, who still keep the culture alive, let it be known!
#CC4LIFE

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
You're not alone, brother. Rocking the black Classic Controller Pro forever. I still find the tether to the Wiimote rather annoying, but I've fallen in love with this controller ever since I've sold my Wii.

With my Wii gone, my Smashing days with a GC controller came to an end. I've picked up a nice CC Pro and never looked back.

KEWB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KEWB99
3DS FC
4511-0666-0442
Are the people who praise and worship the Gamecube controller not the ones who cling to the ancient ways?
I was gonna say...

But I like the classic controller too. I just prefer the GameCube controller (and to a lesser extent, the Wii U Pro controller). Not just for the overall feel of the controller, but as Phenomiracle mentioned, being tethered to a Wiimote (and AA batteries as a result) is annoying.

Last edited:

Mrkaoz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrkaoz
I'm playing with the Wii U Pro controller. Love it a lot! Plays a lot smoother for me. But at the end it's your own choice. If you are better with nunchuck and wii mote, then play with that.

SilkaN

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilkaN
I used the Wii U Pro Controller yesterday (I couldn't find any GC Controller adapters in my town) and I had no problems with it.
Today I'll try my Wii Classic Controller Pro, but I don't think that I'll stick with them.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Not hating on the Classic Controller, it's definitely a neat controller, but for some reason I can't use it well for Smash. I'm able to use most of the other options though. But I definitely enjoyed using it for 2D Virtual Console games, it lives up to its name.

With that said though, I do have a PDP GC styled controller that acts as a classic controller lol

Last edited:

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
I'm using the classic pro have been doing pretty well. Waiting for GC adapter.

RandomNickname

Smash Cadet
NNID
Flori2000
I'm also sticking with the CC Pro.
I originally wanted to pick up the GC adapter, but it was apparently sold out (even though I got there one day before the game's official release). Then I wanted to buy a Wii U Pro Controller, saw the € 50 price tag, put it down again and bought an amiibo.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I've noticed that the CC is almost button-for-button the same as the PS2 controller. That's probably why I'm so drawn to it, PS2 was my first console.

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
Me! Original Classic Controller for life!

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I used only the Classic Controller during my days of Brawl. I'm thinking about trying it out again for Sm4sh, but I don't really like the idea of using up batteries (even though it wasn't hard on them really) any more. I use the Game Pad, which also seems to be shunned by many.

Utaro

Smash Rookie
NNID
Its_a_me_Mario
3DS FC
2423-2518-7011
I use the Classic Controllers sometimes. I actually got those new Mario, Luigi and Peach designed GC looking Classic Controllers that plug into the Wii Motes. I guess its the best of both worlds.

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
Its a controller...does it really natter? I used a mix of GameCube, Classic. Classic pro, and wiimote. Don't see what the big deal is.

Now the people that play wiimote and nunchuck combination, that's a select few people.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
I actually feel like the CC works better for Smash 4.
GC was great for a fast-technical paced game like Melee or Project M. But this fits well for the "in-between" that SSB4 is.
that and the adapters are impossible to find

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I refused to play Brawl with anything but a Classic Controller, lol. I use Wii U Pro for Smash 4. GC is fine, but highly overrated IMO. About the only thing really in its favor over the CCP or WUPC are that it's wired and thus technically is superior when it comes to input response. But really the difference is minimal unless you're at top level tournament play, which I don't see the likes of M2K or ZeRo so... :p

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Its a controller...does it really natter? I used a mix of GameCube, Classic. Classic pro, and wiimote. Don't see what the big deal is.

Now the people that play wiimote and nunchuck combination, that's a select few people.
Oh. I see. You're one of those filthy mixbreeds. Your kind aren't welcome here.

Khao

Smash Lord
I'd rather use the Wii U Pro Controller. It's pretty much a Classic Controller done right.

The Classic Controller still feels kinda awkward when you hold it, like it's kinda flat, and the sticks somehow feel like they require much more movement than in any other controller. You can easily get used to it, but still.

And yeah, I'm talking about the Pro version.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I'd rather use the Wii U Pro Controller. It's pretty much a Classic Controller done right.

The Classic Controller still feels kinda awkward when you hold it, like it's kinda flat, and the sticks somehow feel like they require much more movement than in any other controller. You can easily get used to it, but still.

Considering the WUPC is basically a Nintendo version of a 360 controller with the buttons and sticks in a layout that makes more sense for Nintendo gaming (as a lot of retro stuff feels good to have the D-Pad and buttons just opposite each other on the same horizontal level), it is definitely IMO the most comfortable controller Nintendo has ever made, ever. Moreso than anything else. And this is coming from someone that the only thing I compliment the Xbox series on is the 360's fantastic controller design.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492

CC Pro? Flat? What are you smoking? And I like the space they give the sticks. Makes tilts a breeze. Like I said, if you've played PS2 (or SNES for that matter, but what would know bout that? I'm a child of the new gen.), you played the CC.
Edit: ****. Double posted. This ain't YouTube. Can't be doin that.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Your practically the same as the GameCube guys. Just with a Classic.
Not even close. Here's a dollar, buy your self a sense of humor. Just to enlighten you: most of the GameCube controller elitist are also Melee elitist. I am nowhere close to one them. Not even by association. Try again.

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
Not even close. Here's a dollar, buy your self a sense of humor. Just to enlighten you: most of the GameCube controller elitist are also Melee elitist. I am nowhere close to one them. Not even by association. Try again.
your attitude is pretty much identical to them. I have a Job but thanks for the dollar anyway. I can't buy a sense of humor since black Friday is over and they sold out before I got there. I would try again but can't be bothered. And I bet you play melee exclusively all the time with your favorite official GameCube controller.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
your attitude is pretty much identical to them. I have a Job but thanks for the dollar anyway. I can't buy a sense of humor since black Friday is over and they sold out before I got there. I would try again but can't be bothered. And I bet you play melee exclusively all the time with your favorite official GameCube controller.
Oh, please. Like you know jack **** about me. And don't compare me with them. I don't even like Melee, so how you feel? Look, I'm not getting my thread locked fooling with you. So go take your no humor having ass somewhere else. By the way, I hear they have senses of humor left over on e-bay. Put that money to good use. If you can afford it.
Or maybe they just like the controller they've been using for over ten years throughout two different games.

Maybe.
That's possible. But notice I said "most". Reading; it helps every once in a while.

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
Oh, please. Like you know jack **** about me. And don't compare me with them. I don't even like Melee, so how you feel? Look, I'm not getting my thread locked fooling with you. So go take your no humor having *** somewhere else. By the way, I hear they have senses of humor left over on e-bay. Put that money to good use. If you can afford it.

That's possible. But notice I said "most". Reading; it helps every once in a while.
Honestly trying to say you hate melee because it can't use a classic controller? That's a bit of a stretch man. I think you could maybe get a hacked version on your PC if you wanted to use a different control. To hate a game based solely off the controller isnt giving the game a fair chance.

Khao

Smash Lord
I know, and I argue that "most" is already wrong (not to mention the random "elitist" label is kind of uncalled for when you simply have a preference over something).

A huge portion of players who moved from Melee into Brawl, even the ones that never looked back to Melee, kept playing with the Gamecube controllers. I'm pretty sure those are the one who make up the majority of players using the Gamecube controller in this new game.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm pretty sure I have run my OG Classic Controller into the ground, I used it that much, for Brawl and some other Wii games (like Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Colours). Last time I used it, I believe the X button was not working properly, and the left stick was going too, I think.

It's an underrated controller, IMO. The GC controller is better, but I have a lot of experience with the OG Classic Controller and it has served me well. I beat Intense Boss Battles with Sonic using it, so let it be known that you can play effectively just fine with it.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Honestly trying to say you hate melee because it can't use a classic controller? That's a bit of a stretch man. I think you could maybe get a hacked version on your PC if you wanted to use a different control. To hate a game based solely off the controller isnt giving the game a fair chance.
What? That's not why I don't like Melee at all. Not even close. And even if that was the reason, I don't hack. I'm not bout that. I don't even play PC. Where in your ass did you reach to pull that conclusion?
I know, and I argue that "most" is already wrong (not to mention the random "elitist" label is kind of uncalled for when you simply have a preference over something).

A huge portion of players who moved from Melee into Brawl, even the ones that never looked back to Melee, kept playing with the Gamecube controllers. I'm pretty sure those are the one who make up the majority of players using the Gamecube controller in this new game.
And I'm pretty sure a similarly huge crowd moved on from the GC controller. Really, what are you other than an elitist to pay $90+ for an adapter for a controller that's not even that good? And that's not the reason I said elitist. But that's some whole other **** that ain't even related to this right here: The CLASSIC controller. Know something, why'd you even come here if you very clearly prefer the GameCube controller? Nowhere in that there title did I put, "GameCube controller."

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I was exclusively a Classic Controller Pro guy during the whole of Brawl. I didn't want my controller of choice to stop being produced and I figured the new CC could be available for the life of the console. Turns out I didn't need it to be as my CC and CCP are still going strong to this day. This gen I'm actually using the Hori Battle Pad, so... Technically I'm still rocking the Classic Controller Pro as far as Smash 4's character selection and controls menus are concerned. Am I in your club? :3

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I was exclusively a Classic Controller Pro guy during the whole of Brawl. I didn't want my controller of choice to stop being produced and I figured the new CC could be available for the life of the console. Turns out I didn't need it to be as my CC and CCP are still going strong to this day. This gen I'm actually using the Hori Battle Pad, so... Technically I'm still rocking the Classic Controller Pro as far as Smash 4's character selection and controls menus are concerned. Am I in your club? :3
Hmm. You seem to appreciate the ancient ways as much as the rest of us. Or at least, MOST of us. But we shan't mention the outsiders. Very well, you are officially inducted into the Clan of Classics. Welcome, brother. And the clan is no mere "club". It is a way of smashing; a way of life.

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
What? That's not why I don't like Melee at all. Not even close. And even if that was the reason, I don't hack. I'm not bout that. I don't even play PC. Where in your *** did you reach to pull that conclusion?

And I'm pretty sure a similarly huge crowd moved on from the GC controller. Really, what are you other than an elitist to pay $90+ for an adapter for a controller that's not even that good? And that's not the reason I said elitist. But that's some whole other **** that ain't even related to this right here: The CLASSIC controller. Know something, why'd you even come here if you very clearly prefer the GameCube controller? Nowhere in that there title did I put, "GameCube controller."

The amount of effort you put into hating melee must mean you are awful at it simply because of the controller. I mean because you are talking about how you want other options and dont want to be forced to play a certain Way. And I got an adapter for $20 and the controller was free. Somehow that equals $90 to you? Your math is off bro. I think we could go over this better in person. Can we meet up to discuss this?

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
The amount of effort you put into hating melee must mean you are awful at it simply because of the controller. I mean because you are talking about how you want other options and dont want to be forced to play a certain Way. And I got an adapter for $20 and the controller was free. Somehow that equals $90 to you? Your math is off bro. I think we could go over this better in person. Can we meet up to discuss this?
Jesus Christ, I said, "I don't even like Melee." You act like I said "Melee has no Classic Controller so it sucks". You are pulling things out of your ass. How the hell does those 5 words equate to "The amount of effort you put into hating Melee"? Let's get one thing straight. I don't hate Melee. I don't LIKE Melee. I won't play it willingly, but I will play if **** comes down to it. Understand? You probably got yours early. Check how much they go for now, you'll think the world went mad. And meeting in person? Unless you want to come on down to New Orleans, probably just a dream. You must have the reading comprehension of a third grader cause I said literally NOTHING you said I said.

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
Jesus Christ, I said, "I don't even like Melee." You act like I said "Melee has no Classic Controller so it sucks". You are pulling things out of your ***. How the hell does those 5 words equate to "The amount of effort you put into hating Melee"? Let's get one thing straight. I don't hate Melee. I don't LIKE Melee. I won't play it willingly, but I will play if **** comes down to it. Understand? You probably got yours early. Check how much they go for now, you'll think the world went mad. And meeting in person? Unless you want to come on down to New Orleans, probably just a dream. You must have the reading comprehension of a third grader cause I said literally NOTHING you said I said.
I feel like you are trying to confuse me or something. Everything I came up with was taken directly from your posts. So I don't see how its random. As for New Orleans. I could at some point soon. My dad lives in Louisiana about half a hour outside their so I could at some point. I visit him every month or so. I can message you when i'm getting ready to go there. As for my reading skills. They are decent. Enough to get through college courses.

Last edited:
Top Bottom