• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice Who should I try next?

Dontae

Smash Rookie
Recently I've been wanting to branch out and play more characters because since I've gotten the game I've been playing Little Mac as my main and Pyra/Mythra as a secondary main so what character should I try next that are somewhat similar to either of them

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Recently I've been wanting to branch out and play more characters because since I've gotten the game I've been playing Little Mac as my main and Pyra/Mythra as a secondary main so what character should I try next that are somewhat similar to either of them
That is a good question, but not one that can be answered easily in a vacuum. Depending on why you mained them in the first place, there could be a number of resulting parallels, and after that, one could ask virtually countless questions that could, in turn, lead to various answers. What caused you to main them to begin with?

Dontae

Smash Rookie
I'd say the reason I chose them to main was because of their speed and smash attacks with Mythra being quick and getting good percentage pretty quickly and Pyra having strong smash attacks to finish them off while Little Mac has the speed and gets good percents all around while having super armor on smash attacks

Dontae

Smash Rookie
That is a good question, but not one that can be answered easily in a vacuum. Depending on why you mained them in the first place, there could be a number of resulting parallels, and after that, one could ask virtually countless questions that could, in turn, lead to various answers. What caused you to main them to begin with?
I'd say the reason I chose them to main was because of their speed and smash attacks with Mythra being quick and getting good percentage pretty quickly and Pyra having strong smash attacks to finish them off while Little Mac has the speed and gets good percents all around while having super armor on smash attacks

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Interesting that both characters you enjoy most are both mediocre at recovery with little mac being the worse obv ... So this tells me you're valuing dmg output, wiff punishing and get off me moves more so than off stage play. If you want similar characters there's tons, though because you use the literal top and bottom characters (but for the same reason) just about any of these will have some elements that are similar to those two's kits but likewise will not be those 2 so will be missing elements that you've come to rely on.

So for example..

Ok, Little Mac hits like a truck. Well you can find super armored moves in Ike, Ganondorf, and Bowser.

Or Byleth..

But with maybe the exception in Ganondorf all those characters also have off stage play as part of their kits and it's not something you can ignore so you may need to exit your comfort zone a bit.

To me your Ultimate (ha!) Choice is Kazuya. He can do everything Mac or Dorf can do but even better and he has a ton of other options they miss.

Aegis ... Maybe try Roy or Shulk? Bayonetta? IDK that's a tough one to top.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
May be biased here as a main of the character, but Bowser would be a great option if you're used to Mac. They're both great ground fighters, but Bowser has much better options for situations where Little Mac is essentially hopeless. Bowser does not retain as much of the speed (though he is still fast) and you're gonna have to work harder to get those dumb haha OHKO moves in. But it's worth it once you get a shot of adrenaline and bring back a three-stock game.

Kazuya's also a great choice if you're willing to A) give up Mac's speed almost entirely, and B) spend a very long time practicing EWGF and its follow ups.

As for Pyra and Mythra, I would recommend Lucas. Bit strange I know, but their KO moves are mostly similar, combo games are equally fantastic, and endlag on moves is practically nonexistent. Lucas also has a much better recovery to boot!

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
While I have not played with Pyra/Mythra, Little Mac does have a knack for hitting his opponent using light and strong attacks alike faster than they can. Slipping into and out of attack range to make hard punishments that are difficult to forecast or thwart sounds like the style you might describe, in which case, I might recommend Captain Falcon or Sonic. Though they do not really possess the armor that Little Mac has, they can rapidly shift to the offensive to counterattack, even from a slight distance. The former is a bit more commitment heavy, and the latter is keen in altering how he approaches on a dime, so if fast-paced subtlety is the way to go in your opinion, then I would pick Sonic first.
Bowser does have the armor, but I do not know how to recommend him in good faith yet.

Dontae

Smash Rookie
Thanks to all of you for the recommendations I tried out the characters you guys said to I happened to really enjoy Sonic Bowser and Beyonetta although she will take longer to really learn and not so much the rest and I haven't bought Kazuya or Byleth yet but I'll get back to you when I try them out

Top Bottom