• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who should I be maining... ?

MasterChief

Smash Rookie
I have a tournament tomorrow night. I am generally decent with all characters and spending some time training (tonight and tomorrow morning) I could improve a significant amount with any character. Well my friends I'm facing all are pretty good. I know the best mains as Marth. I'm almost positive they all wavedash and I roll dodge rather than wavedash which is a disadvantage.

I'm scared I'll go up against them and do terrible. I played them once before I was any good and I was destroyed and mained jigglypuff at the time. Now I have gotten way better but I'm sure they have too. I currently main as Roy and I thought he was amazing then I took a look at a tier list and saw how low he was. I would use marth because I do well with any sword character but I don't want to be "that guy" that steals my friend's main haha.

I was thinking Shiek or Fox. I've never used fast characters in any SSB. It would be a big change but I think it would be worth it

Dianostique

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dianostique
Play the character you feel the most comfortable with. It's not an issue if you lose, take it as an occasion to learn more, ask your friend questions and tips. Always try to focus on learning.

Choose the character in the top 8 that fits you best. There's both character utility and player comparability to consider

In the long run

In the short run, play who every you know you're best with, even if it's Roy. Being confused with a good tool is worse than using a bad tool with understanding

Well, if your goal is clearly about winning you do have the make the call yourself as you have some things to consider.

For example, say I am playing a Falco who I know plays in a way that is clearly above my own level. Therefore, I will pick the character I know the most about and have spent the most time playing. It minimizes my errors during execution and maximizes my ability to improvise since I know the character so well. However, suppose I play a Sheik and my best character is marth. I can tell I might be the better player after a match by a bit and can keep the match-up even despite marth having the natural disadvantage between the two. But, I instead play Sheik. While I may not be as good as this Sheik in other match-ups I understand enough about this match-up to be able to punish harder than I was able to with marth.

Much of this is sizing up a player and prior knowledge about them and yourself when the match actually occurs. Then, you make the judgement call. Although, by the sounds of it I wouldn't expect you to have too much experience at this point and you might see better success sticking with Roy since you are most experience with that character.

However, if you goal long term is to further your skill cap, then stick with a single character through all losses and victories.

Koveryl

Smash Rookie
What I recommend is just giving every character a chance. If you decide to try a character, and on the first stock they aren't doing it for you, don't quit. I actually didn't like Doc much on first try, now I love him.

REC_NEPS

Smash Rookie
It's all about style. Play around until you find the character you feel most comfortable with. Also, if your friends are a lot better than you it probably won't matter who you play as until you've caught up with them skill-wise. It's all about the practice.

MasterChief

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, it's been a while haha. I just wanted to update you that I've been playing much more. I now main Marth and have a good Falco and Pikachu (weird right)?!

I've gone to a bunch of tournaments since I posted this thread and have gotten much better! Thanks for all your replies

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
watch lots of videos and see which character you think plays the coolest or looks the most fun to you.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Hey guys, it's been a while haha. I just wanted to update you that I've been playing much more. I now main Marth and have a good Falco and Pikachu (weird right)?!

I've gone to a bunch of tournaments since I posted this thread and have gotten much better! Thanks for all your replies
Watch vids of M2K (Marth), Dr. PP (Falco/Marth) and Axe (Pikachu)
They're the best with those.

Top Bottom