• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who said?

4urentertainment

Smash Cadet
EVERYBODY, calls Jigglypuff a "her" as in "she" as in a "female" But who said that the jigglypuff in brawl IS a female? There's a male and a female of it. Here is the Male picture:
and the female:

Although I have failed to see any difference between the two pictures, I still say who said that Jigglypuff is a female? Even Sakurai addresses "her" as an it. (if u say its a girl because of its girly voice, all jigglys have that voice...)

So in conclusion, I would like to know why you call it a girl, and if u do, how about some proof of it? How do you know it't not a boy?

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
Most Jigglypuffs are girls and its alternate outfits aren't very masculine. A hibiscus (at least that's what I assume it is), the female PKMN trainer's hat, and the blue bonnet seem pretty girly to me. The green sleepy hat is arguable.

TheStig

Smash Lord
actually Jigglypuff is neither, as you pointed out

quote from Smash Dojo:

"Jigglypuff has neither a long reach nor a lot of power to its attacks. On top of that, it’s not a particularly fast runner and is extremely easy to KO because of how light it is."

Cero

Smash Lord
no one really knows why people naturally assume Jiggz is a female PKMN in brawl...
well-ok, it's understandable some people would conclude that Jiggz is a female (her natural pink color, her cutesy voice, and some of her alts are all heavy persuasions)
but now people have started referring to Ivysaur as a "she"? now COME ON! :dizzy:

people have to realize that when they're playing with any of the PKMN in any of the smash games, that they're purely only playing with the representations of those specific PKMN species

whether or not the PKMN be boy or girl doesn't matter. it isn't a factor...

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Dude chill out, Jiggs is a girl.

And I'm better than you, so my opinion means more. XD jk

Heavenly Spoon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HeavenlySpoon
Well, most of her... his... its costumes are girlish:
- Blue costume: Yellow's hat from the original Pokémon manga, Yellow's a girl
- Red costume: Traditional Japanese flower worn by Japanese girls, I think
- Alt Costume: The hat from the female trainer in FR/LG
- Melee blue costume: Girly big blue ribbon ... my old costume :'(
- Melee Alt Costume: The crown of a princess... unless it's The King playing, of course.

The green ones are pretty masculine, though:
- Green costume: Kirby's sleep-ability, kirby's male, kinda, I think
- Melee green costume: uber-cool headband, rambo-style.

So I think we can conclude that all of the jigglies except for the green ones are female. And I guess the regular one is undecided. It was shown in all the screenshots on the dojo, which means Saku was referring to it... "it" still doesn't feel right, though.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Jigglypuff is always a girl. Hell, in the original SSB she wore a bow on her head, did she not? And she has the female Pokemon Trainer's hat, just like how Pikachu wore Red's (and he's obviously a boy, the shape of his tail gives it away).

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
The regular and green costumes (sleeping cap and headband) could be considered male Jigglypuff. Everything else are female. That's just my opinion though. On a side note I wish Jigglypuff still had the green headband, it's what i used in melee.

Starry Might

Smash Journeyman
I consider "Smash Bros." Jigglypuff to be female. :)

As for the whole "it" thing...Pokemon have always been referred to as "its", even after the introduction of gender WAAAAY back in the "Gold"/"Silver"/"Crystal" era!

Personally, I refer to a Pokemon by whatever gender he/she/it is.

EDIT: In the case of Legendaries, though, I consider most of them to be male.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
The regular and green costumes (sleeping cap and headband) could be considered male Jigglypuff. Everything else are female. That's just my opinion though. On a side note I wish Jigglypuff still had the green headband, it's what i used in melee.
Why would a Jigglypuff change gender because of a hat? Pikachu and the others don't. Jigglypuff is definitely female.

Looper

Smash Journeyman
it's up to you whether jigglypuff is a girl or a boy. i like to think that every jigglypuff and pikachu playing in smash are entirely different ones, because there is not just one, which is why i find it proper to refer to jigglypuff and pikachu in general as its - much like the dojo does.

Mada90

Smash Apprentice
In the other character boards people is developing metagames,we are still talking about rest getting nerfed and stuff like this.No wonder Puff is considered a low tier character in brawl.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Jeez, not this crap again.

In the Pokemon Games, Jiggs are more likely to be female than male (I believe the ratio is 3:1 or 9:1).

So yes, you can address it as an it. You can also say he, or she, and it would still be correct. It's all up to personal preference.

I see it as accurate to call Sleepy Cap Jiggs as a Male, and all other Jiggs as a Female, just because it is very close to the actual Ratio in the games (4:1).

Regardless, I personally always refer to Jiggs as Female.

Top Bottom