• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who Is Your Secondary and Why?

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Still trying to figure out which secondary to focus on. I want somebody who can do horrible things to Rosalina and Sonic, and who is easy for a Ness main to pick up and learn.
I'd recommend falcon. He is easy to pick up, super fast, (covers Ness' bad match ups) amazing combos and fun to use overall.

D

DeleteThisAcct

I noticed an overwhelming amount of the responses here involve their reasoning boiling down to some extent of A.) they cover Ness' bad matchups, or B.) any number of tactical purposes.

While that's perhaps the most sound way of going about it from a competitive level and standpoint, I still find myself somewhat alarmed by how few stated their reasoning as simply being due to the actual love for the character and / or their respective series - as if the characters only matter to most players due to their potential - meaning that if they saw a nerf, they'd likely be abandoned like a bad habit. For the record, I mained Ness in Melee, where he's arguably one of the worst characters - I don't bandwagon, I don't 20XX, I don't use characters I have no attachment to. Good or bad, I'll never abandon them. I wish more people played with their favorites instead of what tops the meta. If I win, I win, if I lose, I lose; but regardless, I refuse to be THAT guy who picks a character just to win.

I have a handful of mains personally, but for the purpose of this thread, and because some people believe you should only have 1 main, I'll classify my other mains who aren't Ness (as Ness is arguably my best, longest used throughout the series, and most cherished character overall), as secondaries. In these choices, you won't see your typical reasonings, and but instead small glimpses about myself. While I like the following almost equally to one another, they'll still be listed in order of most to least favorite.

:pit::4pit:Pit : Being a religious person, I always loved angels since I was a kid, and even collect little angel figurines and statues (needless to say I had to get the Pit amiibo). Personally, I always thought it'd be cool if Pit could be my guardian angel - just imagine the commentary he'd provide and fun we'd have. Also, you really can't find a cooler angel than Pit, which easily cemented him into my roster. While I feel I perform the worst with him out of all of my mains who we're calling "secondaries" for this post, it doesn't stop me from using him often - one day, I'd like to do as good with him as I do with Ness.

:4robinm:Robin : I've loved the Tactical Turn-Based RPG genre above all other genres ever since SEGA's Shining Force series; Fire Emblem is no exception to the rule. Sadly, most of these games force a divide between magic users and other fighting classes. To finally see a "spellsword" (one proficient with both magic and swords) in these kind of games, especially one who is both a main character and meant to personify the player, is both a very rare and welcomed sight from my experiences and perspective. I was not going to pass up the chance to represent such an under-appreciated and under-represented "job class" and type of character that I personally would love to see more of, who ended up arguably being my 2nd best.

Coming from a tactics series, I love how versatile his moves are, along with all the mindgames he's capable of performing when in the right hands. I just wish he wasn't so sluggish.

:4miisword: Mii (Swordfighter {3-2-1-1 Moveset}) : C'mon, who honestly doesn't want to play as themself? If my username doesn't give it away, I always loved knights and paladins as an RPG job class, especially paladins who fight for the greater good and the safety and well-being of others - let's not forget other things that don't apply to Smash such as their healing abilities and holy attributes - if only there could be a Mii Paladin, but I digress. Anyways, it's a natural fit for me, that's why I picked the Swordfighter class in particular for my Mii.

:4lucas:Lucas : I'm the rare breed of EarthBound / Mother fan who is still waiting for an official release of Mother 3 before playing it. The series is practically sacred to me, so I refuse to disrespect it and soil it with emulation. I keep telling myself that the wait will make it all the more worth it - which held true for when they finally released Mother 1 aka EarthBound Beginnings. However, because of that, I don't have any real bond with Lucas yet other than my overall love for the series, which is why, for now, he brings up the bottom of this list.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DeleteThisAcct

Still trying to figure out which secondary to focus on. I want somebody who can do horrible things to Rosalina and Sonic, and who is easy for a Ness main to pick up and learn.
If my Ness takes mortal damage and loses a game to either of those two because Ness somehow couldn't grasp the true form of their attack, my counterpick will often be Pit, who I feel is a good counter to those two trouble makers. His speed is decent enough, can recover and edgeguard beautifully; bAir, fSmash, uSmash, Side B, and fThrow are all good and reliable kill options. dSmash covers both sides making for a good soft read at close range given how slippery those two are. He can space with arrows, and Upperdash Arm (affectionately known as UpperSpam Arm) has super armor (just take care not to SD with it) which is important when you need to assert yourself and overpower your opponent.

Just pretend Paula is praying for some divine punishment to be brought down on those two in order to avenge her beloved Ness. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
If you're waiting for M3 to come out in America before playing it, you may be waiting a very, very long time.

ilysm

sleepy
Well, I'm not sure I really have any 'secondary'. I do my best to devote the same amount of time to Ness and Lucas, so I guess you could say I co-main them? My second favorite character after those two would definitely be Mewtwo, who I find a lot of fun in this game (and in Melee, funnily enough, despite not connecting with him as much in PM). Mewtwo would also be the one I feel the most comfortable using after the PK kids, so I guess my secondary is Mewtwo. But boy do I have a lot of characters to use in friendlies. The list includes Wario, Pit, Roy, Ganondorf, and Toon Link, but I also want to put a bit more time into Kirby, Shulk, Zelda, Robin, and the Koopalings. That's one of the things about Smash 4 that I really enjoy; it really allows you to be noncommittal with the characters you use in friendly matches and still have a lot of fun. Not that it's easy to pick characters up, per se; just noncommittal.

Mida

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
MIDA#109
3DS FC
1934-1759-0050
i play lucina and falco as secondaries because i hate fighting ness dittos and ness v villager, respectively

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
After playing around with a few characters, I've actually been getting into Greninja. I'm pretty terrible though. He's a huge departure from Ness.

Basherton

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4725-8585-6958
I use a lot of characters for fun such as Dark Pit, Diddy, Ryu, Falco, Pikachu, and Sonic, but I main Ness and secondary Fox and Lucas. My skill gap after Ness is pretty wide though.

Recently picked up Sheik, and is really fun to use. I'd like someone to help me with sheik on 3DS? FC so you can train me?

Last edited:

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
Ness because i adore his playstyle and it makes me glad he is top teir in this game.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I just wanna mention that it seems like a ton of Ness mains have a Fox under their belt as well, or vice versa.

Also, Mario could be the perfect complement to Ness, if you don't wanna be scummy and pick Sheik.

KingNemba

Smash Cadet
My secondary is duck hunt. I have plenty of others but i enjoy the challenge, his genuine style, and at a higher level he can be dangerously unpredictable and deadly.

DoctorRotom

Smash Cadet
I just wanna mention that it seems like a ton of Ness mains have a Fox under their belt as well, or vice versa.

Also, Mario could be the perfect complement to Ness, if you don't wanna be scummy and pick Sheik.
Yup! Fox/Ness seemed to be a good pair when I was thinking of secondaries (Sheik is lame). Having a pocket Villager also comes in handy.

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice

I seconded (?) Mario for a bit but switched to Sheik... :( She's just so much fun! Combos for days.

But, for me, thst's my reason more than anything. I just picked the character I had the most fun with. Ness is my main, Sheik my secondary and Mario is still there somewhere. Played DHD for awhile, but found it a little TOO tough to get to a decent level with him while still focusing on Ness.

Trauma1

Smash Rookie
Yeah I like my Ness Ditto play a lot. I just find that Marth really catches people by surprise with Crescent Slash and frame traps. I actually got Magnet gimped in a set against the best Ness in TN and felt like an idiot.
Question who is the best Ness in TN? Thats my state and id like to maybe get in contact with them to get some tips and maybe meet up at an event if they arent too far

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Question who is the best Ness in TN? Thats my state and id like to maybe get in contact with them to get some tips and maybe meet up at an event if they arent too far
I'm not sure. Is TN power ranked. If you could find the people that are power ranked it would help you a lot in finding the best Ness main.

Asa

Smash Hero
Fox: the speed helps against some matchups..

Olimar: brawl main, like him against players that I need to force to approach me

Primarily use ness tho

Meccs

@Meccs_
So a couple months ago I started playing G&W when I felt like sandbagging. and now he's my second best character and the only other character I play seriously aside from Lucas as well, kind of. He's not good but he's fun.

FLYING 7UR7LE

Smash Cadet
NNID
FLYINGTRTL
3DS FC
5413-0294-8873
I main ness and play dr mario and zelda as secondaries, but I don't know crap about their match ups.

Top Bottom