• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is the most hyped Smash newcomer ever?

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Sonic was definitely the most hyped. People to this day remember the date he was unveiled (October 10 2007), it was really too big.
Snake in second, especially because his announcement opened the way for other third-parties

To me though, the order goes, my top 5:
  1. :sonic: - he was my most wanted character in Brawl and probably the character I wanted the most to ever appear in Smash. Every single day I went into the Brawl Dojo in hopes to see him (good times...)... Oct 10 2007 was surely a magical day I'll never forget <3
  2. :ultridley: - all the "too big" detracting, me wanting him a lot, having to take a lot of bull from his haters always telling me he'd never get in during SSB4, people knew how I wanted Ridley and immediately went to me saying "HEY MAN DID YOU SURVIVE THAT TRAILER HOW YOU'RE FEELING"
  3. :4robinm: - this one may seem odd, but I'd never expected to see him in Smash over Chrom, and I always said he'd be a better choice, I wanted him a lot. When his splash art appeared I, no joke, started screaming and jumping, probably my most extra reaction ever
  4. :4bayonetta: - Bayonetta was my most wanted DLC character, but I didn't even vote for her in the ballot bc I thought she was impossible since SSB4 was E10+. Never in a million years I'd expect seeing her in SSB4, I also reacted really extra to it
  5. :4shulk: - another one I really wanted and actually officially seeing him in was really hype to me, too bad the ESRB leak and to a less extent me taking Gematsu at face value spoiled the fun a bit
BONUS (both for me and everyone I guess): :ultsnake: - ain't a newcomer per se but seeing him (specifically him) followed by "everyone is here" rivals Sonic to me in terms of excitement

Last edited:

Mona Pizza

Smash Cadet
I'm going to have to go with Snake on this one. His addition onto the roster not only threw everyone for six, but also opened the door for the likes of Sonic, Mega Man and Cloud. I've never forgotten Snake's reveal trailer either.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Sonic

for me personally I was pretty excited when Animal Crossing finally got a rep with Villager, unfortunately I just never really liked playing as him when the game actually came out. I was also probably the only person excited when Corrin was announced as well, was really looking forward to fates and happy to see some representation plus the moveset looked good, fortunately this one panned out better in the actual game for me..

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
Man, I remember back when Snake was revealed. I wasn't even a fan of Metal Gear at the time, but even I knew this was a huge deal. (Actually, Snake being in Smash is what got me into Metal Gear, so thanks, Brawl! XD ) That one reveal opened up one hell of a can of worms. Suddenly, the impossible felt possible for Smash and that our wildest character dreams were actually within the realm of possibility. It was an incredibly exciting time to be a Smash fan, and I remember the build up towards Brawl's release as one of my highest peaks of hype as a gamer.

Then we got Sonic the Hedgehog. I grew up on Sonic, so I nearly lost my little teenage mind when I saw that he'd been confirmed. The Nintendo forum I was on at the time erupted with unanimous glee. It almost felt too good to be true, as we were all used to those infamous April fools screenshots and unlocking methods for Sonic in Melee. Man, Brawl's hype cycle was certainly a thing to behold. XD

The only other reveal that's gotten me as close as my hype for Sonic was actually Simon, as I love Castlevania, and have wanted him in Smash ever since third parties were revealed to be a thing.

TL;DR: My most hyped newcomer is Sonic, but Snake's reveal certainly got me incredibly excited for the possibilities of third party fighters in Smash.

Top Bottom