• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is the most hyped Smash newcomer ever?

volbound1700

Smash Master
I don't know if this goes here or the Character thread but I want everyone's opinion on who was the most hyped character all-time?

I would say Sonic joining Brawl followed closely by the Snake reveal. Megaman, Ridley, and KRool have been major ones as well.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I would go with Sonic and Megaman. Mario, Sonic, and Megaman were all huge gaming stars that nobody would've thought that they'd all be in the same game.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I remember Sonic was the most exciting add for me (hence my SS). I grew up playing the original Sega Genesis Sonic series and loved it, especially Sonic the Hedgehog 2 which is in my top 5 all-time favorite games. SMB3 was my favorite game all-time and I loved playing it as well. Putting Sonic into the game with my favorite Nintendo characters was a dream come true. I remember his support thread was amazing.

Megaman was definitely great add for me as well. I felt like Brawl was missing him and was slightly disappointed at the end because of it. Similarly, I had hoped Rayman would be in 4.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I remember Snake shaking the core of the gaming community. Not only did Smash open to third parties all of sudden, it was Snake. Of all the characters we got a mature themed Tactical Espionage Soldier. Otherwise it may have been Cloud or Sonic. Mega Man didn't make as big of a splash as I would've hoped.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Easily Cloud for me. Everyone said it was impossible. Just the way they did the trailer too was amazing.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I was 17 years old at the time, but when Diddy was revealed I screamed like a little girl. There hasn't been a newcomer as hype for me as of yet. And he was pretty damn hyped by the community as well, seeing as DKC was in a long hiatus after the Rare buyout. I still think Diddy in Brawl is one of the more hype moments for a first party character who made a lot of sense to be added.

However, there's a lot of characters that caused a whole lot of hype upon reveal as well that probably challenge my personal most wanted ever.

In Melee, Mewtwo was definitely one of the most hyped characters. Can't think of any other character that was hyped as much. His comeback in Smash 4 was equally hyped up, if not even moreso. This is also a character that shouldn't be underestimated just because he's there since Melee.

Then there's Sonic in Brawl, who I personally felt 0,0% hype for. Same with Snake. Big deal to others tho. Same with Mega Man. I just don't feel for them at all.

Now with Ultimate, it's definitely Ridley and King K.Rool who take all the hype spotlight. Doubt there's gonna be a character that's comparable to them. Maybe Snake's return did a thing?

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
Snake probably wins. No one saw it coming, first time ever, and opened the door for what we have today. Sonic, while a big deal, was something every single person saw coming, to the point where your "rate my roster" topics on here/gamefaqs/neogaf were labelled as jokes for not having sonic in it

The only third party we got that really came close to snake was cloud. And that was, again, so big because no one saw it coming

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Probably Cloud. THE Final Fantasy character. It felt like the Holy Grail of gets for Smash.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
it has to be ridley, considering there was a huge amount of supporters AND haters at constant war with each other for over a decade.

once he was revealed, the dam burst and a crushing wave washed through the valley, drowning the haters while ridley's supporters floated by on a yacht, laughing and cheering.

seriously though, while i've been EXTREMELY happy with all the reveals so far... ridley straight-up made me break down and CRY... for an entire day... and occasionally for a few days afterwards.

osby

Smash Obsessed
For me? Bayonetta. Not even my favourite character but a recent and very small mature series' main character joining Smash, between all those huge third parties, supported by both Nintendo and fans and also rocking an epic trailer?
Iconic.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Sonic & Snake seemed to be the biggest newcomer reveals in Smash's history.

My personal biggest reveal was probably the Mii Fighters. I ****ing love character creators.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Snake probably wins. No one saw it coming, first time ever, and opened the door for what we have today. Sonic, while a big deal, was something every single person saw coming, to the point where your "rate my roster" topics on here/gamefaqs/neogaf were labelled as jokes for not having sonic in it

The only third party we got that really came close to snake was cloud. And that was, again, so big because no one saw it coming
Nobody really saw Smash 4's Mewtwo coming either. DLC wasn't a thing that was really expected by the community as much.

Ridley and King K.Rool also where not exactly expected. Well, K.Rool was once Ridley showed his face. But still...

I just like to think that Mewtwo, Ridley and K.Rool where overall the most hyped...

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
the guy smashed his shelf and broke his thumb and almost had a heart attack with his ridley reaction... how was that less emotion?
Lol. His arms flail around in every single video. Him accidentally jamming his thumb is bound to happen.

And if there's one video he almost has a heart attack with, it's Mewtwo.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
Nobody really saw Smash 4's Mewtwo coming either. DLC wasn't a thing that was really expected by the community as much.

Ridley and King K.Rool also where not exactly expected. Well, K.Rool was once Ridley showed his face. But still...

I just like to think that Mewtwo, Ridley and K.Rool where overall the most hyped...
You just named my three most wanted characters from 2003 and 2008 when Mewtwo got cut. They were all big deals, and Mewtwo's was probably my biggest reaction. I was so upset with the smash 4 roster and how they decided to skip out on the top 3 requests, Mewtwo Ridley and rool. I ended up having a similar reaction to etika when I saw Mewtwo

But my bias aside, an unexpected third party (not mega man, sonic, pac man, ryu) that's actually ****ing badass (not bayoneta) that nobody ever saw coming... Provides a crazier reaction for most people I think

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'd have to say Snake. His inclusion turned the entire fanbase on its head and paved the way for characters like Mega Man and Sonic (who would have been overall more hyped had he not been seen as a shoe-in thanks to Snake's inclusion).

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
Lol. His arms flail around in every single video. Him accidentally jamming his thumb is bound to happen.

And if there's one video he almost has a heart attack with, it's Mewtwo.
i dunno, watching the two side by side, his mewtwo one looks pretty tame.

i mean, he has a heart monitor in the ridley one, and his heart rate literally skyrockets.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Ridley had a history of hype since before Melee. It looked like he was playable based on the trailer/intro movie to Melee, so people were excited for him, but he wasn't playable. Cue the next 17 years being characterized by people requesting him. Hence, the disappointment with his deconfirmation in Smash 4 and the infamous (and often taken out of context) "He's too big" quote. This is why his reveal was such a major deal at E3, because he's been the #1 most requested for almost two decades.

Snake was a big deal just because of how absurd it was. He was more of a PlayStation character, his games were much darker and more realistic than any Nintendo game, and no other third party character had ever been considered possible.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Sonic & Snake seemed to be the biggest newcomer reveals in Smash's history.

My personal biggest reveal was probably the Mii Fighters. I ****ing love character creators.
I love the costume with the Mii fighters. I especially use the Knuckles and Tails costume with a certain designed moveset that makes it feel/appear that both characters are in Smash Wii U. I do Mario, Luigi, Yoshi vs. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles matches.
The Sonic universe doesn't feel complete with just Sonic IMO. Imagine if Sonic was a Nintendo Franchise, you would have 6-7 characters easily in Smash with 4-5 stages.

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
Ridley had a history of hype since before Melee. It looked like he was playable based on the trailer/intro movie to Melee, so people were excited for him, but he wasn't playable. Cue the next 17 years being characterized by people requesting him. Hence, the disappointment with his deconfirmation in Smash 4 and the infamous (and often taken out of context) "He's too big" quote. This is why his reveal was such a major deal at E3, because he's been the #1 most requested for almost two decades.

Snake was a big deal just because of how absurd it was. He was more of a PlayStation character, his games were much darker and more realistic than any Nintendo game, and no other third party character had ever been considered possible.
This. It has to be either Ridley or Snake. For me it was definately Ridley, barely anything ever has hyped me as much as Ridleys reveal, I literally screamed when it happened.

Overall Snake might take the cake for a character whos reveal was the most hyped. Ridley takes the cake with most hype when it comes to a reveal from a character that has been requested.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Most requested for 17 years? Well, in USA, probably. But I don''t think he was that requested outside of west.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Sonic
Cloud
Ridley

in that order.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
For me, I’d say Bayonetta for sure. I voted for her in the ballot, yet I didn’t expect her to join the roster. When the trailer showed those bats merging together and becoming the Umbra Witch I literally screamed (and it was midnight in Italy). Even though she didn’t win the ballot, I was so glad they added her.
So yeah, definitely Bayonetta. Then probably Ridley and Wii Fit Trainer

volbound1700

Smash Master
This. It has to be either Ridley or Snake. For me it was definately Ridley, barely anything ever has hyped me as much as Ridleys reveal, I literally screamed when it happened.

Overall Snake might take the cake for a character whos reveal was the most hyped. Ridley takes the cake with most hype when it comes to a reveal from a character that has been requested.
Ridley wasn't big until after Brawl. Out of all the Brawl characters, Sonic was the biggest wanted character IMO. Especially after the intro video showing Snake as the first guest character.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Biggest ever is too subjective to me. I mean, there was no social media to put the word out for Melee add-ons and Smash Bros wasn't considered so major until AFTER it was released. Between Brawl and and Smash Ultimate there has been a lot of changes in how newcomers are introduced as well. I think the characters that made the biggest impact to the entire gaming community when they were adding to Smash would be Snake, Cloud, or Ryu. All three of these characters represent a gaming world that Smash bros wasn't really relevant to. Snake brought attention to Smash for the first more mature gamers, Cloud brought in the ridiculously massive FF fanbase, and Ryu said, "yes this is an actual fighting game". I don't think any other characters have really done this like those three.

Between the three of them, I think the best received was Snake (oddly dropped in the next gen though?)

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Snake, not just because of the way he was revealed, but because of what his reveal meant for the series. He was the one who opened the floodgates and let people's speculation really start to run wild.
The reveal was incredible too.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
In order form bronze to gold
:ultmegaman:- 2nd most requested 3rd party at the time, and was nearing a near death lifestyle
:ultsnake::ultridley::ultkrool:- one man who wasn’t expected by anyone in the slightest, and the other two were character that people wanted for over a decade due to either being too big for battle or for being “dead” to the public...fans finally got their wish at the sacrifice of honorable heroes and
:ultsonic:- thanks to Snake unexpectedly joining, broke the barrier of Nintendo only characters for Smash, and was easily the most wanted character in Brawl...****ing broke the internet as they realize they can have the biggest fight between the greatest rivals in gaming history occur thanks to SSBB (:ultmario: vs :ultsonic: was the biggest dream battle until it got even bigger with :ultmegaman::ultpacman:...but the sight of :ultsonic: saving the company of :ultmario: from Tabuu was beautiful alone is a reason why this is the best). Nothing can top the hedgehog joining the series and becoming the face of Smash 3rd Parties.
For me? Bayonetta. Not even my favourite character but a recent and very small mature series' main character joining Smash, between all those huge third parties, supported by both Nintendo and fans and also rocking an epic trailer?
Iconic.
There is nothing epic about :ultdarkpit: looking like a ***** after a tired :ultpit: had to fight a fully energized :ultbayonetta:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
On an Ultimate board, I don't think characters like Snake, Sonic, Cloud, etc. should count as newcomers because they are veterans.

Anyway, out of the Ultimate newcomers, I guess Ridley has the most hype because of the whole size arguments. Though for me, I can't wait to play as Daisy.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
They count as newcomers because they were once newcomers. It's relevant to this thread because newcomers just received a lot of hype and someone wants to know if that hype was as great as it had ever been. For the US, Ridley is definitely the biggest newcomer of Ultimate so far, but I think there's at least one more big newcomer ahead.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
With Blizzard bringing Diablo 3 for the Switch, I start to think about Diablo being a character, and.... that's it, add Diablo to my list.
:surprised:

Last edited:

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I would have to say Snake because everyone was requesting Sonic etc. to be in Smash back then. No one saw Snake coming and was a total shock since his games is mature and became known with PlayStation. Sonic was hype but I wasn't surprised he was included considering he fits in Smash while others such as Bayonetta and Snake can seem like outsiders. Ridley and K. Rool hype was boosted from the creator ignoring them (Ridley and K.Rool would have been in Brawl / Smash 4 by now and Snake would still win out due to the surprise factor.).

I think third parties will always be the contenders of generating the most hype as both Nintendo and non-Nintendo fans would focus more attention on them. Someone like K.Rool or Geno/Isaac simply haven't been flashed out in a while so you would have to be a hardcore fan / gamer to recognize them. I never heard of K. Rool / Isaac / Geno until I came on Smashboards 3-4 yrs ago.

Last edited:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
For this Smash, Ridley.
For Smash 4, Megaman.
For Brawl, Snake.

Top Bottom