• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is the least deserving Main 8?

Which Character from the Main 8 is the least desvering?

• Mario

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Link

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Fox

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Kirby

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Pikachu

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Samus

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Yoshi

Votes: 14 29.8%

• Total voters

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Who do you think was the least deserving character out of the Main 8?

Shears

Smash Master
I think he means which of the 8 should have been an unlockable character instead of a starter. For example, Luigi makes sense to be unlockable since Mario is the main character from the series and rightfully should be a starter over Luigi. I chose Pikachu because the other characters are from Nintendo exclusive games and are original Nintendo characters; while Pikachu, even though he was an iconic character from a Nintendo game, was adopted from Pokemon which is not a Nintendo original creation. I could also agree with Yoshi since he is a spinoff of the Mario series and lands in the same boat as Luigi. I do not see how people can say Kirby was least deserving.

Sangoku

Smash Master
People are just illegitimately throwing their Kirby hate wherever they can.

Oh right I forgot to vote. Hmm Kirby where are you?

MrTea

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0189-8820-9279
Even though I main yoshi, he's probably the least deserving of a spot out of the 8 due to being basically another mario representative (DK kinda gets a pass here for fairly obvious reasons) Not to say he was a bad choice as a character, just the least deserving out of who was there.

Out of the original 12 however, Jiggs would probably take that prize as least deserving, but at least she turned out ok so no complaints really.

I dont get all the kirby hate, I'm pretty sure he was a fairly well established series at that point as annoying as he might be he definitely deserved a spot with the original 8.

Last edited:

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Least Deserving = The least recognizable or just doesn't have much to do with Nintendo's history.

Shears

Smash Master
-Mario is a no brainer.
-DK is a no brainer. @ MrTea MrTea if anything you give Mario the pass because he came from Donkey Kong not the other way around.
-Link is a no brainer.
-Fox wasn't really popular until N64 and didn't appear until the SNES. He is an original Nintendo character so I don't think he is the least deserving but definitely not in the most deserving either.
-Kirby was a Nintendo original. He has his own series and was on NES. I don't see how he garners a single vote.
-Pikachu comes from Pokemon which is not a Nintendo original and never appeared in any early systems. Popularity of the character comes from his lead role in Pokemon Yellow and how the Chinpokomon brainwashed every child and nearly took over the world. Pikachu is not a Nintendo character and because of that, in my mind, doesn't deserve to be a starting character.
-Samus is a no brainer.
-Yoshi is a character from the already represented Mario series. The Yoshi series that exists is just a spinoff of Mario and although the character is a Nintendo original, the character and his series are not independent of other Nintendo franchises. Yoshi is undeserving but in my opinion not the most undeserving.

Ness and Captain Falcon are more deserving than Pikachu or Yoshi based on my criteria but were left out of the starting lineup because they weren't very recognizable. The inclusion of them was to help regain interest in their series and revive the characters but they were made unlockables because Pikachu and Yoshi are much more popular.

Last edited:

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Wow i had no idea what this was about at first.

And shears, your pika argument is dumb. Pokemon is as much a nintendo thing as smash is.

The real argument against pika is it isnt really a main character you can play as, nor did it have its own game as far as i know.

Yoshi had yoshi's island and yoshi's story

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Wow i had no idea what this was about at first.

And shears, your pika argument is dumb. Pokemon is as much a nintendo thing as smash is.

The real argument against pika is it isnt really a main character you can play as, nor did it have its own game as far as i know.

Yoshi had yoshi's island and yoshi's story
lol pokemon yellow

i picked kirby cuz i felt like he was the least well known at the time. true that yoshi is a side character but i feel like he was still more well known than kirby at the time

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
Pokemon was not conceived by Nintendo unlike all the other characters and their games. Pikachu is the odd one out. Again with Yoshi, he was a side character in Mario that had a spinoff series unlike the rest of the starting characters, so along with Pikachu is an odd one out. Yes Mario was a spinoff of Donkey Kong but it was at the birth of console gaming and is now the face of Nintendo, which is why I consider him a no brainer. The poll is who is the least deserving not who is undeserving. It's like saying "who is the worst" which should not be confused with saying "who is bad".

Last edited:

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Pokemon was not conceived by Nintendo unlike all the other characters and their games. Pikachu is the odd one out. Again with Yoshi, he was a side character in Mario that had a spinoff series unlike the rest of the starting characters, so along with Pikachu is an odd one out. Yes Mario was a spinoff of Donkey Kong but it was at the birth of console gaming and is now the face of Nintendo, which is why I consider him a no brainer.

Tajiri first conceived the idea of Pokémon in 1990.[3] After he saw a Game Boy, the idea came together, and he decided it made the most sense on the handheld console. Tajiri pioneered the idea of connectivity between handheld game consoles, by suggesting that Game Boys could use its link cables in order to have friends do more than simply play against each other.[12] This ability to communicate between consoles drew Tajiri to the Game Boy as a system.[3]

Tajiri had worked on The Legend of Zelda before, and so Nintendo was willing to consider his new game idea.[13] When he first pitched the idea of Pokémon to Nintendo, they could not quite picture the concept, but were impressed enough with Tajiri's prior game designing that they decided to explore the concept. Shigeru Miyamoto began to mentor Tajiri, guiding him during the creation process.[2] Pokémon Red and Green took six years to produce, and nearly bankrupted Game Freak in the process; often, there was barely enough money to pay the employees.[2] Five employees quit, and Tajiri did not take a salary, instead living off of his father's income.[2] Investment from Creatures Inc. allowed Game Freak to complete the games, and in return, Creatures received one-third of the franchise rights.[1

You have a Nintendo employee developing his own idea, being directly mentored by the president of nintendo. publishing it through a separate company that he started. Nintendo was no less involved with Pokemon than say, Hal Laboratories and Sakurai's Kirby franchise or smash franchise .

Pretty sure I win this one

Last edited:
I like history lessons like this one above. The odd thing is that the original 8 cast shouldn't not have been replaced or forgotten. So, none of them should be removed or least deserving.

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
From the link:
The game begins when the main character is asked to try out a new device of Professor Oak's that is used to talk to Pokémon. The player soon meets a wild Pikachu and befriends it. The Pikachu's trust must be earned by the player and eventually it will come and live in the player's house.

Once again, you dont play as pikachu. Just like you dont play as an ocarina in LoZ:OoT

Arent there other smash games where you play as the pokemon trainer?

Last edited:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
kirby doesn't deserve jack ****

he was fed from sakurai's silver spoon and never had to work a day in his life.

Last edited:
Well, at least I stand 50% correct. No Pkmn Trainer in '05 in a smash game.

If I get proven wrong again, then I need just punishment.

Last edited:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
PAL vs NTSC is fairly different for some characters, nothing huge like the DI differences between J or U as far as i know (but im quite probably wrong)

mixa

Banned via Warnings
pokémon yellow is all about getting the other starters and putting the rat in the box as soon as you get a pidgey or something

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yoshi is clearly the correct choice, and yes I'm serious.

But nobody is as undeserving as Puff.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Either Kirby, Yoshi, or even Samus. Maybe Fox is the game cane out before SF64.

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
it's the starting pokemon u get and he follows u around for the whole game
pretty sure you can put it in the PC

your real arguments are arbitrary, but even then

nor did it have its own game
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hey_You,_Pikachu!

why do you think i remembered this one? because of the oak guy?
nor did it have its own game as far as i know.
The real argument against pika is it isnt really a main character you can play as
This is an arbitrary topic. I am arguing that playing directly as pikachu does not happen before smash. And that's true as far as I know. You don't play AS pika in hey you pikachu. Just like you dont play as Majora's mask in LoT:MM. All the other 7 non-secret characters in smash you directly control in other games throughout their whole game.
Mario: You play AS mario in mario 3
DK: You play AS D.Kong in Donkey Kong Country
Link: You play AS link in Zelda
Samus: You play AS Samus in Metroid
Yoshi: You play AS yoshi in Yoshi's Island
Kirby: You play AS kirby in whatever game its from
Fox: You play AS fox in starfox.
Pikachu: You can optionally use pika as a weapon in the pokemon games or make the character you control (which isnt pika) talk to a pika in a game called hey you pikachu.
Before 1999, there is no game where you play AS pikachu.

Which is why I argue pika is the "least deserving" character for a player to directly control.

So like, in melee I would say zelda/sheik/gannondorf/falco/marth/etc are the "least deserving"

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
Can anyone rationalize why DK, Link, and Kirby have votes? I have a feeling people are voting for the characters they subjectively like the least and not objectively thinking about which is least deserving.

Top Bottom