• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is the least deserving Main 8?

Which Character from the Main 8 is the least desvering?

• Mario

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Link

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Fox

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Kirby

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Pikachu

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Samus

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Yoshi

Votes: 14 29.8%

• Total voters

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah Kirby having so many votes is pretty lol, seems to me like people can't put aside their personal feelings based on how the character plays competitively. ****ing humans ;O

Last edited:

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone rationalize why DK, Link, and Kirby have votes? I have a feeling people are voting for the characters they subjectively like the least and not objectively thinking about which is least deserving.
I can at least understand Kirby, but Link and DK, I dunno.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Can anyone rationalize why DK, Link, and Kirby have votes? I have a feeling people [...]
'why would reason have anything to do with what people think'

- sarah jessica parker

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
I voted for samus because it created false hype for me at the time. I thought there would be a Metroid game released for the n64 but there wasn't. I guess ness falls into that category too, but I didn't know or cared who he was

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Then rationalize Kirby, because I can't understand why he has a single vote.
i already answered this for why i voted kirby read back. my vote had nothing to do with my feelings towards kirby in fact i like kirby in smash. also if we expanded this to all 12 characters clearly falcon is the least deserving. honest question did anyone know of his existence before smash?

Shears

Smash Master
i already answered this for why i voted kirby read back. my vote had nothing to do with my feelings towards kirby in fact i like kirby in smash. also if we expanded this to all 12 characters clearly falcon is the least deserving. honest question did anyone know of his existence before smash?
But thats still subjective because YOU didn't know who Kirby was. When they made the game they weren't thinking of what characters you knew of but what characters most people knew of and were popular in Nintendo. Kirby was a very popular character even if you didn't know who he was. Think with the unopinionated, omniscient universal mind, not your own.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Then rationalize Kirby, because I can't understand why he has a single vote.
Least Deserving = The least recognizable or just doesn't have much to do with Nintendo's history.
My list of most recognizable:

1 Pikachu
2 Mario
3 Link
4 DK
5 Yoshi
6 Fox
7 Samus
8 Kirby

My list of most to do with nintendo history:

1 Mario
2 Link
3 DK
4 Pikachu
5 Yoshi
6 Samus
7 Kirby
8 Fox

Total score from lowest to highest:

Mario: 3
Link: 5
Pikachu: 5
DK: 7
Yoshi: 10
Samus: 13
Fox: 14
Kirby: 15

asianaussie

Smash Hero
you act as if those points are all of equal value, when they really arent, and you kind of omit important things like what sort of series characters come from to begin with (kirby is a sidescrolling staple of nintendo and always has been, he was playable long before yoshi was by himself, a while before donkey kong was first playable (DKC), and was certainly more prominent as a sidescroller protagonist than link or pikachu)

fox is CLEARLY less recognisable than kirby, and not only that, appeared far later and was far less instrumental in nintendo console popularity - he was in a whole bunch of gameboy games, whereas fox first appeared in one snes game - how on earth one could say kirby is less deserving than fox is honestly beyond me

mixa

Banned via Warnings
kirby's case is even worse because sakurai created that freaking ball of fluff

he'll never be undeserving

clubbadubba

Smash Master
you act as if those points are all of equal value, when they really arent, and you kind of omit important things like what sort of series characters come from to begin with (kirby is a sidescrolling staple of nintendo and always has been, he was playable long before yoshi was by himself, a while before donkey kong was first playable (DKC), and was certainly more prominent as a sidescroller protagonist than link or pikachu)

fox is CLEARLY less recognisable than kirby, and not only that, appeared far later and was far less instrumental in nintendo console popularity - he was in a whole bunch of gameboy games, whereas fox first appeared in one snes game - how on earth one could say kirby is less deserving than fox is honestly beyond me
-I rationalized a scoring system that is just as arbitrary as whatever value you want to assign points to. I doubt if I assigned weight to the points instead (which I did consider before I realized it would be dumb, just as inaccurate, and therefore even more pointless than this thread itself) that everyone would agree with the weighting.

-I omit nothing. I had already considered your points before your post. I took the facts and used my subjective reasoning on them just like you did.

-You seem to put a high emphasis on kirby being playable before yoshi and dk, whereas I don't think that's much of a selling point. He was also playable before bowser, and in no way did kirby have a more important role in nintendo's history than bowser did. Only protagonists are playable usually, but not only protagonists are historical.

-In 1999 I think fox was more recognizable. Fox had more recent recognition from star fox 64, whereas crystal shards game out after smash, so kirby's most recent game was on sneswhich by that point was old news. Sadly, video game characters are forgotten quickly without constant exposure. Kirby was good for game boy, but by 1999 that had not carried over onto console success which is necessary to achieve great recognition of the masses because then you don't even have to play the game to get exposure. You could be a parent, sibling, or friend of someone who has the game and you are exposed. Unlike game boy which you have to look over someone's should to see. Also, bet people would guess fox's name first if they got pictures of the charcter's and didn't know their names :)

-As far as history, fox is last on my list for that...

asianaussie

Smash Hero
-You seem to put a high emphasis on kirby being playable before yoshi and dk, whereas I don't think that's much of a selling point. He was also playable before bowser, and in no way did kirby have a more important role in nintendo's history than bowser did. Only protagonists are playable usually, but not only protagonists are historical.
kirby was playable, bowser was not

you're using my point about what sort of background the character had as if they were my points for historical relevance, when they clearly aren't

In 1999 I think fox was more recognizable. Fox had more recent recognition from star fox 64, whereas crystal shards game out after smash, so kirby's most recent game was on snes which by that point was old news.
kirby superstar for SNES was a VERY popular game, and was released what, a year before star fox 64? not to mention kirby dream land 3, which wikipedia tells me was a 1997 release as well? ok man

Kirby was good for game boy, but by 1999 that had not carried over onto console success which is necessary to achieve great recognition of the masses because then you don't even have to play the game to get exposure.
you probably didnt own a snes, huh

Also, bet people would guess fox's name first if they got pictures of the charcter's and didn't know their names :)
i guess by this token metroid shouldnt have been in the game at all :)

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
But thats still subjective because YOU didn't know who Kirby was. When they made the game they weren't thinking of what characters you knew of but what characters most people knew of and were popular in Nintendo. Kirby was a very popular character even if you didn't know who he was. Think with the unopinionated, omniscient universal mind, not your own.
i was never trying to be objective i was stating my opinion. wasn't that the point of the poll? is my opinion not valid because you dont agree with it?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
kirby was playable, bowser was not

you're using my point about what sort of background the character had as if they were my points for historical relevance, when they clearly aren't
didn't stand out as a recognition argument my bad bro.

kirby superstar for SNES was a VERY popular game, and was released what, a year before star fox 64? not to mention kirby dream land 3, which wikipedia tells me was a 1997 release as well? ok man

you probably didnt own a snes, huh
1995 Kirby's Avalanche: 1.7 million
1996 Kirby superstar: 1.44 million
1997 Kirby Dreamland 3: 0.36 million in japan, other info couldn't find, but general consensus is sold poorly

Kirby snes titles sold poorly compared to kirby's other main games on gameboy. Kirby had a general decline of sales over the years building up to 1999. Even including the gameboy games, it seems only kirby's dreamland ever outsold either of the star fox games, but kirby's dreamland was released in 1992.

1993 Star Fox: Conflicting reports, 3-4 million
1997 Star Fox 64: Conflicting reports, 3-4 million

Maybe some of the kirby games were VERY popular, but that must mean the Star Fox games were legendary status. It was a top 10 performer on both SNES and N64. It did not see a major decline in the years leading up to 1999. By 1999, Star fox was a hotter commodity than kirby.

i guess by this token metroid shouldnt have been in the game at all :)
to be fair pretty sure fox is probably the only one who's name can be blind picked.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i was not aware starfox was that popular, but i guess im just an old fogey who doesnt know what's hip

i still dont think fox, as a ship pilot with no previously demonstrable ability to fight on ground, self-combust, defy gravity or even jump, really deserved to be in a beat-em-up type game, and certainly not as the most acrobatic chracter in said game (falcon is an even worse example but we'll leave him out)

like, even in the GCN zelda-esque games, he didnt use his gun, he couldn't jump, his reflector didnt exist and his main weapon was a magic stick

kirby, with an arsenal of basic physical attacks, and more importantly the swallow gimmick, had every right to be in a colourful game like smash by virtue of the precedents for gameplay his previous titles set - the fact that he likely backdoored his fixed position due to sakurai detracts from his 'right' to be there, but in terms of gameplay he was always suited, definitely moreso than the pokemon, ness and the pilots, and arguably moreso than link

Last edited:

Olikus

Smash Champion
i was not aware starfox was that popular, but i guess im just an old fogey who doesnt know what's hip

i still dont think fox, as a ship pilot with no previously demonstrable ability to fight on ground, self-combust, defy gravity or even jump, really deserved to be in a beat-em-up type game, and certainly not as the most acrobatic chracter in said game (falcon is an even worse example but we'll leave him out)

like, even in the GCN zelda-esque games, he didnt use his gun, he couldn't jump, his reflector didnt exist and his main weapon was a magic stick

kirby, with an arsenal of basic physical attacks, and more importantly the swallow gimmick, had every right to be in a colourful game like smash by virtue of the precedents for gameplay his previous titles set - the fact that he likely backdoored his fixed position due to sakurai detracts from his 'right' to be there, but in terms of gameplay he was always suited, definitely moreso than the pokemon, ness and the pilots, and arguably moreso than link
finnaly we agree. World war smash is over.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
I thought both PIka and Jiggs were both in the game because of the Pokemon show. They are two of the most iconic characters in the first seasons, along with meowth(who, was planned for the game but did not make the cut)

Sedda

Smash Champion
he would've been a fox clone with a form of payday as a projectile. god damnit nintendo. so close

Thor

Smash Champion
Just... never been a DK fan. Mario seems a good fit, as do Link and Samus, I really like Yoshi and Kirby (that's not playskill but liking), Fox is a good choice for his coolness factor, and Pikachu for its adorableness and such - DK just doesn't stand out to me as anything.

EDIT: Oh wait read what least deserving meant. Probably should've voted for Fox or something, I dunno. Whatever.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
-Mario is a no brainer.
-DK is a no brainer. @ MrTea MrTea if anything you give Mario the pass because he came from Donkey Kong not the other way around.
-Link is a no brainer.
-Fox wasn't really popular until N64 and didn't appear until the SNES. He is an original Nintendo character so I don't think he is the least deserving but definitely not in the most deserving either.
-
Anyone near or around my age knows when star fox came out on super nintendo people went nuts. I can't tell you how many hours I spent playing the timed demo at stores. Trust me, star fox was VERY popular on super nintendo.

anikom15

Smash Apprentice
Everyone is looking at this retroactively. If you look at the roster from the perspective of 1999, nobody seems greatly undeserving except Ness, but only in NA and Europe. He was well known in Japan.

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
I have the best criteria for deserving/undeserving because it is objective and it leads to exactly one answer to the question at hand.

Of the original 8 characters, there is only 1 character that you cannot play as in any other game up until SSB came out.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Kirby already had like 7 games by the time smash 64 came out what the hell

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Fox due to the series not being that popular

I'd add Kirby but blame the fact that well HAL invented Kirby, which makes him the shoe-in outside of Mario, Samus, Zelda, and DK
But then again, Hyrule would still be legal and we'd be playing with 6 stocks

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Fox due to the series not being that popular

I'd add Kirby but blame the fact that well HAL invented Kirby, which makes him the shoe-in outside of Mario, Samus, Zelda, and DK
star fox was an immensely popular series. You could point to lack of games for star fox if you wanted to make a case, but certainly not popularity.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
star fox was an immensely popular series. You could point to lack of games for star fox if you wanted to make a case, but certainly not popularity.
Star Fox used to have potential of being a huge series...

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I voted for samus because it created false hype for me at the time. I thought there would be a Metroid game released for the n64 but there wasn't. I guess ness falls into that category too, but I didn't know or cared who he was
So you voted for a character for a reason that has absolutely nothing to do with the poll?

"I voted for Ridley in the 'Least Deserving Smash 4 Character' because I don't like the color purple."

Also, Yoshi is the objectively correct answer.

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
So you voted for a character for a reason that has absolutely nothing to do with the poll?

"I voted for Ridley in the 'Least Deserving Smash 4 Character' because I don't like the color purple."

Also, Yoshi is the objectively correct answer.
I voted for samus because no metroid game for the n64, didnt care about any of the other characters.

Top Bottom