• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is Richter Belmont?

belmont.jpg

Overview

On August 8th 2018. Richter Belmont was revealed alongside his ancestor Simon for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Despite the series’ longtime dormancy. I was surprised by how few people knew of Richter despite his impact on the franchise.

Of all the Belmonts, Richter is canonically the most hot-headed. He’s fiercely loyal to his future wife along with her sister Maria and became good friends with Alucard, like Trevor before him. Richter is usually thought of as the strongest Belmont before Julius, as he is headstrong and not afraid to dive into danger.

His signature theme is called “Bloodlines” sometimes known as “Divine Bloodlines”

He originated on the Turbografx-16 or the PC Engine in Japan in the game Rondo of Blood, one of the last Castlevania games done in the classic style of stage-to-stage progression. It was later re-made under the title Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP. He’s made several appearances since then, making him one of the more prolific Belmonts.

Richter’s original design, on which the Smash design is based, is jokingly referred to as “Ryu Belmont.” Although he does have a more gothic aesthetic in games such as Symphony of the Night. His sprite has always remained consistent with his initial appearance.

300px-Richter_Belmont_SotN_portrait.jpg

Distinct Abillities

Richter differentiates himself from others in his clan with several martial arts-based moves, ranging from sliding kicks, uppercuts, backflips to even a roundhouse kick in Harmony of Despair.

POR_Spinning_Kick.gif

He also introduced the Belmonts’ “Item Crash” technique, which basically gives every sub-weapon a super move. Grand Cross, which Simon uses as his Final Smash in Ultimate, is the Cross weapons super move. Richter also uses a technique without sub weapons that imbues his whip with holy fire.

The Lore Behind Richter

Richter’s story takes place roughly 100 years after Simon’s in 1792 when Dracula rises once more to terrorize the land, kidnapping several maidens, including Richter’s fiancée and her sister, Maria. After many trials, Richter saves them, and slays Dracula along with the evil wizard, Shaft. All seems well with the world. Cue Symphony of the Night.

In Symphony of the Night, Richter is given several new martial arts techniques, which have been listed above. He and Simon happen to use these techniques in Ultimate:

Below are spoilers for Symphony, so beware!

Shaft (having avoided death in Rondo of Blood) possesses Richter, who becomes the Lord of Castlevania. It’s then up to Dracula’s son, Alucard, to take the role of main hero. Richter becomes a very hammy antagonist, highly atypical for a Belmont, during the game’s first half. Alucard, with some help from Maria, manages to snap Richter out of the spell, but not before Dracula is once again revived. Alucard deals with his father personally, and afterwards, the Belmont bloodline goes a bit dormant for awhile. Richter is very upset and shaken by being taken advantage of.

There was a radio drama in Japan known as Castlevania: Nocturne of Recollection, starring Richter and Alucard, which takes place shortly after Symphony of the Night.

Richter appears again in Portrait of Ruin as an optional boss who inhabits the inert Vampire Killer as its last true wielder. Defeating him unleashes the whip’s true power and makes it one of the game’s strongest weapons. Portrait of Ruin also features a mode in which you can play as Richter and Maria.

There is also the non-canonical SNES game Dracula X that retells Rondo of Blood’s story and reuses that game’s assets, doing a decent job of adapting them to the more technically proficient Super Nintendo. The game’s overall design is subpar as far as Castlevania games go , and it mostly serves as a very strange piece of history. If you’re crazy enough to try it, is available on the SNES and is generally not expensive on Amazon or Ebay from the listings I’ve found.

Richter has also appeared in Harmony of Despair as one of the many playable characters.

Experiencing the Legend Yourself
To experience the legend of Richter Belmont for yourself, you might have to do some digging.

Rondo of Blood, as mentioned previously, was on the TurboGrafx-16 and was released on the Wii Virtual Console. Also on Wii U, but only until January 2019 I recommend this version of the game.

Dracula X Chronicles, a remake of Rondo, is on the PSP and includes Symphony of the Night and the original Rondo of Blood as extra unlockables.

Symphony of the Night, in which Richter has a bonus mode, was originally released on the PS1 and is also available on the Xbox 360 and PS3 for digital download.

Portrait of Ruin, which also has a Richter mode, is on the DS.

Harmony of Despair is on PS3 and Xbox 360 and is mostly an online co-op game.

Authors Note: How do you feel about the Belmonts appearing in SSBU? Do you intend on trying to main or casually use them? Were you familiar with Richter before this piece? Tell us below!

Last edited:
Jedidiah "SHSL Jedi" Baker

Comments

D
Good to see Richter's finally getting some recognition. Castlevania's one of my favorite platformers of all time, with Rondo and SOTN some of my favorite games in the series (mentioning Super Castlevania 4 is sort of cheating if you ask me, because that game is amazing all-around). Take a wild guess who happens to be my favorite character in this series, too? When he was announced, I went absolutely nuts like I did when Mega Man was, but I was a tad surprised to see a lot of people not know who he was at first. Funnily enough, I think the Rondo design was scrapped in SOTN to avoid possible lawsuits with Capcom, but now he's side-by-side with Ryu in Smash now. Not that I'm complaining, it's my favorite one, anyway.

On a side note, it's shocking to see so many HoD Richter mains together here. He might have not had Omni Vanitas cancels like Julius or Sonic Strike wall-zips like Jonathan, but the raw DPS he dishes out with martial arts makes him absolutely spectacular at soloing any chapter at his max base stats, even if he's a bit of a glass cannon. He especially shines at chapters 10 and 11. If you ask me though, he's great when you put Fūma gear on him as with any whip user, and he becomes absolutely ludicrous with one of those Berserker Armor/Fool's Tablet setups that made martial arts literally obliterate everything. But now I'm just gawking at this point. If that game goes backcompat on Xbox One, I definitely plan on going back and starting fresh on that game again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't have had a clue who Richter was if I hadn't watched a video on the Castlevania timeline a few weeks ago.

So I bet there's plenty of people who haven't played Castlevania who aren't aware of him.

Great article, I learned a few things even though I was familiar with Richter before his reveal for Smash thanks to Symphony of the Night. However, I had never played Rondo of Blood nor unlocked him in Portrait of Ruin, and now I have done both of those since his reveal. Really looking forward to playing as him in Smash. :)

Good to see Richter's finally getting some recognition. Castlevania's one of my favorite platformers of all time, with Rondo and SOTN some of my favorite games in the series (mentioning Super Castlevania 4 is sort of cheating if you ask me, because that game is amazing all-around). Take a wild guess who happens to be my favorite character in this series, too? When he was announced I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming, but I was a tad surprised to see a lot of people not know who he was at first. Funnily enough, I think the Rondo design was scrapped in SOTN to avoid possible lawsuits with Capcom, but now he's side-by-side with Ryu in Smash now. Not that I'm complaining, it's my favorite one, anyway.

On a side note, it's shocking to see so many HoD Richter mains together here. He might have not had Omni Vanitas cancels like Julius or Sonic Strike wall-zips like Jonathan, but the raw DPS he dishes out with martial arts makes him absolutely spectacular at soloing any chapter at his max base stats, even if he's a bit of a glass cannon. He especially shines at chapters 10 and 11. If you ask me though, he's great when you put Fūma gear on him as with any whip user, and he becomes absolutely ludicrous with one of those Berserker Armor/Fool's Tablet setups that made martial arts literally obliterate everything. But now I'm just gawking at this point. If that game goes backcompat on Xbox One, I definitely plan on going back and starting fresh on that game again.
I would seriously consider picking up an Xbone if HoD came back with its full online. Or even a Switch Port, or a PS4 since the game was brought to PS3 too. I'll literally take anything at this point.
But yeah, the nice thing about HoD is that, while some characters are obviously more... Well equipped than others, shall we say (coughSomacough), everyone can completely decimate a boss with the right setup.

When Richter was announced, my interest went from "Okay, that's pretty neat" to "Oh, f*** yes." I was surprised at how many people didn't know Richter as well. Even with relatively little experience with the series, I at least played SotN and recognize the infamous "What is a man" scene. I swear, if one of Richter's taunts is that paraphrase of "Die monster" that he used in the trailer, I will never stop using that, especially if I kill a Bayonetta player.

Last edited:
I think I can sum up my thoughts on all of this just by answering the questions at the end of the article:

1. I'm very excited that 2 of Castlevania's most notable protagonists are finally being represented in Smash Bros.

2. I'm also excited to start playing as both of them (maybe Richter more than Simon).

3. Yeah, I knew about Richter Belmont long before this article, due to him being the 1st Belmont I ever played as in Castlevania.

Overall, I hope that the Belmonts in Smash Ultimate are at least good fighters to play, and I'm also happy that the Dracula's Castle stage is being as fateful to the source material as possible, as well as Alucard's inclusion (even though he's just an Assist Trophy).

D
Thank you, as someone who has little to no knowledge of Castlevania. This was helpful and informative, Richter is great, and an amazing addition, to Smash.

I’ll admit that I had no idea who Richter was since I don’t follow Castlevania. Thank you for the article.

Last edited:
I would seriously consider picking up an Xbone if HoD came back with its full online. Or even a Switch Port, or a PS4 since the game was brought to PS3 too. I'll literally take anything at this point.
But yeah, the nice thing about HoD is that, while some characters are obviously more... Well equipped than others, shall we say (coughSomacough), everyone can completely decimate a boss with the right setup.
That was probably the biggest flaw of HoD. It felt like the game was developed with Soma in mind, and everyone else was more or less an afterthought. If Konami were to bring HoD back, it would need a big upgrade.

For one thing, many of the characters need a buff. They really should play as their original selves, by which I mean they need to utilize all of their innate abilities, such as Shanoa's Glyph Union (along with her many glyphs that were missing), Richter's (and Maria's) Item Crashes, Jonathan's multitude of weapons and so forth. I mean, Soma gets all of his stuff, why not the others?

Second, weapons, and skills need to be balanced a bit better. Why was Soma's Fish Head soul so friggin' strong? The Valmanway (which is actually Alucard's Crissaegrim btw) got a +1 variant but not the Gungnir, which was one of the weapons that actually needed it. Charlotte's Piercing Beam (along with others who had this)......doesn't pierce. Alucard's Laevitain was one the strongest blades in SotN, but was nerfed to hell in HoD to the point where it's not really viable. I could list more, but I think you get the idea.

Third, the Winged Boots. Everyone who's played HoD knows this, but there was literally no point to using any leg wear other than the Winged Boots. Anything else resulted in a RIDICULOUSLY slow movement speed. What I think should be done is an increase to base movement speed to, say Retro Boots level (40% faster), Winged Boots level at most (50% faster). This way, you can still have the faster movement speed without needing to sacrifice your leg slot to the Winged Boots. This would allow for more varied equipment builds and should one just want the speed boosts, the boots would still be available, just with lowered speed values. ...Well, I say that, but in the case of the whip wielders I'll always stick with Fuma's Greaves, because they're just that awesome.

Even with all that said, I still like the game and would like to see it reemerge somehow.

Simon and Richter are my two most anticipated newcomers at this point, and their inclusion totally reignited my love for the Castlevania series. I can't decide on which one I want to main! Also everyone should checkout the Castlevania anime on Netflix if you have it. It focuses on Castlevania 3 and Trevor Belmont's story and it's amazing

View attachment 157502

Overview who Jack Henry Dappen?

On August 8th 2018. Jack Henry Dappen. was revealed alongside his ancestor Simon for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Despite the series’ longtime dormancy. I was surprised by how few people knew of Jack. despite his impact on the franchise.

Of all the Belmonts, Jack. is canonically the most hot-headed. He’s fiercely loyal to his future wife along with her sister Maria and became good friends with Alucard, like Trevor before him. Jack. is usually thought of as the strongest Belmont before Julius, as he is headstrong and not afraid to dive into danger.

His signature theme is called “Bloodlines” sometimes known as (Jack's theme)"Divine Bloodlines”

He originated on the Turbografx-16 or the PC Engine in Japan in the game Rondo of Blood, one of the last Castlevania games done in the classic style of stage-to-stage progression. It was later re-made under the title Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP. He’s made several appearances since then, making him one of the more prolific Belmonts.

Jack’s original design, on which the Smash design is based, is jokingly referred to as “Ryu Belmont.” Although he does have a more gothic aesthetic in games such as Symphony of the Night. His sprite has always remained consistent with his initial appearance.

View attachment 157506

Jack's Henry Dappen Distinct Abilities.

Jack, differentiates himself from others in his clan with several martial arts-based moves, ranging from sliding kicks, uppercuts, backflips to even a roundhouse kick in Harmony of Despair.

He also introduced the Belmonts’ “Item Crash” technique, which basically gives every sub-weapon a super move. Grand Cross, which Simon uses as his Final Smash in Ultimate, is the Cross weapons super move. Richter also uses a technique without sub weapons that imbues his whip with holy fire.

The Lore Behind Jack Henry Dappen.

(Jack’s story takes place roughly 100 years after Simon’s in 1792 when Dracula rises once more to terrorize the land, kidnapping several maidens, including (Jack's fiancée and her sister, Maria. After many trials, Jack, saves them, and slays Dracula along with the evil wizard, Shaft. All seems well with the world. Cue Symphony of the Night.

In Symphony of the Night, Jack. is given several new martial arts techniques, which have been listed above. He and Simon happen to use these techniques in Ultimate:

Below are spoilers for Symphony, so beware!

Shaft (having avoided death in Rondo of Blood) possesses Jack, who becomes the Lord of Castlevania. It’s then up to Dracula’s son, Alucard, to take the role of main hero. Jack. becomes a very hammy antagonist, highly atypical for a Belmont, during the game’s first half. Alucard, with some help from Maria, manages to snap Jack, out of the spell, but not before Dracula is once again revived. Alucard deals with his father personally, and afterwards, the Belmont bloodline goes a bit dormant for awhile. Jack Henry Dappen. is very upset and shaken by being taken advantage of.

There was a radio drama in Japan known as Castlevania: Nocturne of Recollection, starring Jack Henry Dappen. and Alucard, which takes place shortly after Symphony of the Night.

Jack. appears again in Portrait of Ruin as an optional boss who inhabits the inert Vampire Killer as its last true wielder. Defeating him unleashes the whip’s true power and makes it one of the game’s strongest weapons. Portrait of Ruin also features a mode in which you can play as Richter and Maria.

There is also the non-canonical SNES game Dracula X that retells Rondo of Blood story and reuses that game’s assets, doing a decent job of adapting them to the more technically proficient Super Nintendo. The game’s overall design is subpar as far as Castlevania games go , and it mostly serves as a very strange piece of history. If you’re crazy enough to try it, is available on the SNES and is generally not expensive on Amazon or Ebay from the listings I’ve found.

Jack has also appeared in Harmony of Despair as one of the many playable characters.

Jack Henry Dappen Experiencing the Legend Yourself.
To experience the Legend of Jack Henry Dappen for yourself, you might have to do some digging.

Rondo of Blood, as mentioned previously, was on the TurboGrafx-16 and was released on the Wii Virtual Console. Also on Wii U, but only until January 2019 I recommend this version of the game.

Dracula X Chronicles, a remake of Rondo, is on the PSP and includes Symphony of the Night and the original Rondo of Blood as extra unlockables.

Symphony of the Night, in which Jack. has a bonus mode, was originally released on the PS1 and is also available on the Xbox 360 and PS3 for digital download.

Portrait of Ruin, which also has a Jack. mode, is on the DS.

Harmony of Despair is on PS3 and Xbox 360 and is mostly an online co-op game.

Authors Note: How do you feel about the Belmonts appearing in SSBU? Do you intend on trying to main or casually use them? Were you familiar with Jack before this piece? Tell us below!

Jack Henry Dappen's Story A Vampire hunter From 1792: | Gardner Ks born The Year 1773: Castlevania is cool .i have games i Like to read sometimes. and Watch Tv . and i a Have crush on Felicity Rose Hadley Jones. "The game's protagonist. A descendant of the Belmont family who have sealed Dracula for generations. His sense of justice is strong and he is a hot blooded man that hates getting corrupted. Because his lover Annette was kidnapped and taken to the demon castle by Shaft, he goes towards the demon castle in order to seal the resurrected arch nemesis Dracula. In order to rescue his lover and fulfill his fate, he hurries to the demon castle." — CR Pachinko Akumajō Dracula official website description this the Jack Dappen story. The End ., “ Dracula. Die now, and leave this world! You'll never belong here! "Jack Henry Dappen" „ ~ Jack Henry Dappen Jack Henry Dappen is the main protagonist of Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood. He is a part of the Belmont clan,a chosen clan to defeat Dracula. When Dracula and The Dark Priest Shaft invaded Annette and Maria`s hometown Jack Henry Dappen. decided to hurry to that town, but during his way the town he gets attacked by Death. However he survives Death and Confronts him,when he enters the town the town is on fire. Later Jack saves Maria Renard from Shaft dark magical levitation seal. He continues with his journey to save Annette and other girls. Again he meets death and defeats him again on a haunted ship. He later Saves Annette, confronts Shaft and Dracula. 4 years later Jack Henry Dappen vanished, and Maria and later even Alucard starts to search after him. However when Alucard finds Jack something is wrong with Jack Possessed by Shaft`who is now a ghost. Later gets Jack saved and freed from his Possession by Alucard. The End., Powers and Abilities: Super strength, speed,agility, durability, endurance, levitation, flight, skilled with a variety of anti-vampire weapons, skilled in the use of magic Weaknesses: None notable Destructive Capacity: Multiversal, higher with Hydro Storm and Cross Crash Range: Human melee range, greater with Hydro Storm and Cross Crash Speed: Infinite/Instantaneous Durability: Multiversal Lifting Strength: Superhuman, likely Class Multiversal Striking Strength: Class Multiversal Stamina: Superhuman Standard Equipment: Vampire killer whip and a sub weapon, usually a cross or a bottle of holy water Intelligence: A skilled vampire hunter. He has knowledge on fighting the supernatural, Dracula's Castle, and what have you. Notable Attacks/Techniques: Jack Henry Dappen powers.

D
That was probably the biggest flaw of HoD. It felt like the game was developed with Soma in mind, and everyone else was more or less an afterthought. If Konami were to bring HoD back, it would need a big upgrade.
Yeah. It was very much a "Megaman and Bass" type of game where it was designed more with "Bass" (Soma) in mind than "Megaman" (literally everybody else). Also forgot to mention that Richter was the only character in the game that heavily benefited from equipping the spiked boots, since it was able to make his damage on par with and sometimes surpass Soma's. That is, at least when it came to DPS.
OH, as of recently I've actually been playing a HoD Unity port that's been making some impressive progress for just a single dev from Japan. Actually, it's been my jam for a while now, and it's worth it for you guys to check it out too when you get the chance. It's going above and beyond as far as content goes. Albus, a re-balanced Jonathan, two custom chapters so-far beyond (the so far unfinished alongside with 10) Chapter 11, and a new "Expert" difficulty with better drop table rewards alongside a better challenge. If any of you are interested, hope to see you guys around on there!
(Also if you see a Richter named Paradox on that game, then that's me. Always down for some runs to help farm stuff at that.)

Last edited by a moderator:
It honestly completely baffles me that Richter is the lesser known Belmont. I thought his conversation with Dracula in the prologue of Symphony was the most iconic, memetic moment of the entire series?!

Top Bottom