• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Who Is Diego Umejuarez? - Ryu Q&A Thread

iLLEST

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iLLESTm3
I used to think that we could react faster out of it, but I haven't been able to prove this yet. I tried parrying a fireball from Mario and grabbing and Ryu was capable of grabbing instantly, even before the fireball had disappeared. Essentially, you can grab at the same time the parry sound sounds. I tried doing the same with Mario (by psing a hado) and I got the same result.

I'll keep testing.

Afaik anyone can act immediately out of power shield.. Or yall already knew that and are testing something else?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Afaik anyone can act immediately out of power shield.. Or yall already knew that and are testing something else?
I knew that, I was testing whether there was any difference between Ryu's parry and everybody else's PS beyond sound and pose. So far I haven't found one sadly.

Micesmack

Smash Rookie
Hi, if this is the wrong place, I do apologize, as you can see, this is my 3rd post, I am very new to Smashboards.

Ryu doesn't have a real kill throw, even in Rage up throw only kills at like 200%. Suppose my opponent is at kill percentage, and I land a grab, what should I be doing here?

Should I forward throw with a Red Fireball?
Or should I Dthrow Uthrow and shark them for a juggle?

Obviously if I am close to the edge, I go for whatever gets them off stage, but everything else, I feel like I don't have a great follow up.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Ryu doesn't have a real kill throw, even in Rage up throw only kills at like 200%. Suppose my opponent is at kill percentage, and I land a grab, what should I be doing here?

Obviously if I am close to the edge, I go for whatever gets them off stage, but everything else, I feel like I don't have a great follow up.
A mixup I like to do at higher percents, especially when I have an opponent dangling off the edge from a gab, is to pummel them repeatedly until a grab release happens. Most people will mash out of throws and when they are released over the stage, they'll likely let out an aerial attack. This is your chance to swoop in.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Hi, if this is the wrong place, I do apologize, as you can see, this is my 3rd post, I am very new to Smashboards.

As the above said, just hit them until they mash out. Then, if they're by a ledge, you get a free dair, or something like a dash attack otherwise.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Guys, so everytime I play Ryu, I always have trouble when using two moves, mostly his FA and Tatsumaki. FA, I know it can be used for mindgames, for recoveries and against characters that don't have a lot of multi-hit moves. For the other one, I was wondering like how should I use Tatsumaki and when should I use it in whatever situation? In neutral? Offstage? Pressure? Landing? Thanks for your help!

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I would use Tatsu as a way to punish rolls and as a small string finisher off of something like cr.mk. And of course for recovery but that should go without saying.

Kulty

Smash Ace
I would use Tatsu as a way to punish rolls and as a small string finisher off of something like cr.mk. And of course for recovery but that should go without saying.
Some people say that Tatsumaki for recovery is not a great option in some cases because of the huge cooldown of this move, and smart people can capitalize that mistake. It's worst when your opponent has multi-hit moves to gimp you off stage, since you can't use Focus Attack against them. For punishing rolls, would try that.

garf

Smash Rookie
maybe stupid question here:
me and boyf play a decent amount of smash and have a pretty rough idea of metagame but we're both still not that great at predicting/executing. We're both at about an even level of play but whenever I switch to Ryu I crush him every time without losing a stock/taking much percent. We've been keeping up to tabs on some of the combos and things that you can do with Ryu and it seems to us that straight up he's just overall a better character than 80% of the cast.
Had a look over the forums and no one is raging over Ryu being ridiculously OP so what are we missing? Why does Ryu seem like such an OP character at mid-low level play and how should you be dealing with him?

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
@ garf garf I'm tired of seeing "OP" thrown around. You know what's OP? Meta Knight in Brawl. Akuma in Street Fighter II.

Overpowered means they have many more strengths than weaknesses which is not only an egregious claim to make about a character released not even two weeks ago, but also completely wrong and ill-arrived. Ryu in Smash is not OP. No one's raging because what's there to rage about? Ryu seems OP to you because you are admittedly not very good at the game. From the few tournaments that have been held so far that I have watched, Ryu has not made it very far. Neither have Roy or Lucas, incidentally.

garf

Smash Rookie
I'm aware that OP doesn't apply to Ryu was more wondering why it would seem that way to us as not that great players.

Edit: I guess I should be asking more how do I deal against Ryu bc I see a lot of strengths in his game but none of the weaknesses are apparent to me other than off stage game + aerial game not being that great

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I'm aware that OP doesn't apply to Ryu was more wondering why it would seem that way to us as not that great players.

Edit: I guess I should be asking more how do I deal against Ryu bc I see a lot of strengths in his game but none of the weaknesses are apparent to me other than off stage game + aerial game not being that great
You don't see the weaknesses because Ryu is, from a casual point of view, easy to won with in the sense that he's quite strong and easy to combo with. It's a bit like Ike in Brawl when the game first came out. Anyways, to counter Ryu try using a spam. Happy char and spam him. Ryu has a hard time dealing with spam.

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
What should I be punishing rolls with if I'm close enough? Say I run up to them and they roll away, and I read this and can attack. I usually punish with Dash Attack, but I have no idea if I can do Usmash to punish or not. Maybe Shoryuken?

I'd say Tatsu, but that move is INCREDIBLY punishable if they shield it.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
What should I be punishing rolls with if I'm close enough? Say I run up to them and they roll away, and I read this and can attack. I usually punish with Dash Attack, but I have no idea if I can do Usmash to punish or not. Maybe Shoryuken?

I'd say Tatsu, but that move is INCREDIBLY punishable if they shield it.
Well, the answer is Tatsu and FA. If they are rolling and you time your Tatsu right it should hit them before they have a chance of shielding.

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
Well, the answer is Tatsu and FA. If they are rolling and you time your Tatsu right it should hit them before they have a chance of shielding.
I guess you have a good point. Still, I was just thinking in the situation that I'm running up to them, they roll, then I might be able to Usmash from reading it. But you're not far off, Tatsu sounds like a good idea too.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
I guess you have a good point. Still, I was just thinking in the situation that I'm running up to them, they roll, then I might be able to Usmash from reading it. But you're not far off, Tatsu sounds like a good idea too.
Usmash is only good if you are close enough when they initatie the roll, if you hit shield the KB is usually enough to keep Ryu sort of safe. Tatsu is good due to it's active hitbox and forward movement. It also does 13 damage at the end of the move and pops them in the air which can be advantageous. Fsmash can be used if you can use Pivot smashes well enough. Ryus tilts, both weak and strong, are good especially the weaker ones but again you need to be near them when they initially rolled. Finally SRK can be used as well it hits early enough to do some damage just make sure it lands otherwise you get punished.

Minwu

Smash Journeyman

To add to what others have said, Ryu's hitboxes don't have any large disjoints (basically he thrusts his limbs out which can be hit back) which combined with his low mobility makes it hard for him to get past a sword character's range of safety. I think making a wall with Shulk or Ike's aerials would be pretty rough to overcome, especially at a level where players are inept at punishing such options. For example, I think Ike's fair at max range would be difficult to punish even with shoryuken.

Last edited:

kAffo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ask
So I have seen around the boards and other parts of the internet that there can be a few ways or techniques used to perform Ryu's true specials. However I am most interested the ways to perform Shakunetsu Hadouken.

I am aware the intended input for this special is: :GCL::GCDL::GCD::GCDR::GCR: :GCA:/:GCB: ( 4,1,2,3,6 A/B or Half-Circle A/B)
However, I've also seen inputs such as: :GCDL::GCR: :GCA:/:GCB: (1,6 A/B)
:GCL::GCDL::GCR: :GCA:/:GCB: (4,1,6 A/B)

I've probably left out a couple of discovered inputs, so please feel free to inform me as I would love to know :).So, my question is, which inputs for this special are the 'best' to perform? So to allow for quick succession and the minimisation of backwards movement (which I really wish to achieve to enhance my growing combo game, specifically out of W-D Tilt strings).

Thank You Very Much :D

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Does the hitbox of Forward-B spin with his leg, or is it a constant hitbox on both sides? How far below him does it hit?

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Does the hitbox of Forward-B spin with his leg, or is it a constant hitbox on both sides? How far below him does it hit?
Haven't slowed the game down and tested extensively but I've seen forwarding facing attacks clash with the back of Ryu's tatsu and other things like that make me think it follows his foot. Explains some of it's inconsistencies.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Tap off
Attack stick
and I have L jump and X grab

Also mapped teleport true srk to win button (shhh)
i use the same setup! nice to see another X on grab. i hate the z button

kAffo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ask
What is 'Special Cancelling'?

I've seen this phrase thrown around a bit on the boards, and I believe I may have accidentally done it a few times (e.g. H D-Tilt into True DP). I've read through some Ultra Street Fighter IV threads and pages, and from what I can gather it entails cancelling the recovery frames from a move into a normal or special (?), allowing quicker, guaranteed follow ups (?)
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So, I was wondering, how to do this, and what are it's applications in Sm4sh?

Sorry if this question has already been answered elsewhere, I searched but was unable to find an answer pertaining to Smash.

Thank You :D

iLLEST

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iLLESTm3
What is 'Special Cancelling'?

I've seen this phrase thrown around a bit on the boards, and I believe I may have accidentally done it a few times (e.g. H D-Tilt into True DP). I've read through some Ultra Street Fighter IV threads and pages, and from what I can gather it entails cancelling the recovery frames from a move into a normal or special (?), allowing quicker, guaranteed follow ups (?)
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So, I was wondering, how to do this, and what are it's applications in Sm4sh?

Sorry if this question has already been answered elsewhere, I searched but was unable to find an answer pertaining to Smash.

Thank You :D

You can special cancel jab1, dtilt1 and 2, and utilt2 by buffering the next move as the current move is coming out. You can link normals, dtilt1 into itself and into dtilt2 and utilt1 into itself and utilt2. Combos are guaranteed up to, or within a certain percent. Not all combos are links into specials though as i'm sure you know. The most important application for special cancelling is hit confirming dtilt1, jab1 or utilt1 xx srk for the kill! Ryu needs you to be on point with inputs, as you can see, doing SRK on accident. Anyways you got it :)

edit: Also hit up the previous pages as they're full of questions i'm sure you have. Things like buffering a special move from a tilt, but only having it come out on hit.

Last edited:

DailyDose

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0490-5872-8349
Does Ryu have any grab follow ups after like 20%? With no DI Ryu can get an Uair after Dthrow until mid percents, but if your opponent just DI away Ryu can't get there in time. It's looking like Ryu's best option for grabs is just to pummel a few times then Bthrow to deal the most damage. This seems like it could be eventually become a problem seeing as all the other top tier characters have insane reward from grab follow ups and/or kill throws.

iLLEST

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iLLESTm3
Does Ryu have any grab follow ups after like 20%? With no DI Ryu can get an Uair after Dthrow until mid percents, but if your opponent just DI away Ryu can't get there in time. It's looking like Ryu's best option for grabs is just to pummel a few times then Bthrow to deal the most damage. This seems like it could be eventually become a problem seeing as all the other top tier characters have insane reward from grab follow ups and/or kill throws.

Good point. I've been using the throw that gives me the most stage control. I wanna test uthrow at low percents. After 20% it's really just reading their options. If you fair off dthrow, they can dodge or jump. If they dodge then it resets, if they jump then you can attempt a trap. Bait the air dodge or aerial makes for a free fsmash or srk.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Ryu doesn't have any guaranteed follow ups from his throws, therefore use them only to reset spacing or to obtain position advantage.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Is DP Shoryuken possible OOS or is it only regular Shoryuken?

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
What are Ryu's jab reset setups?
On BF, he can prattack off of the platforms with Nair, hadouken, and, at very low percents, Bair. Otherwise, he can combo into footstools with the back hit of Fair and, I think, Utilt.

EDIT: Oh and on BF, he can also do Down throw onto the side platforms and it is difficult to tech.

Last edited:

Flawlessh

Smash Cadet
Got a question on Ryu's Hadouken, mainly the attribute of it and the multi hitting half circle command of it.

I tested it to the best of my ability but i cant seem to figure out the attribute of the multi hitting hadouken, the normal one i figured out does not have a fire or water attribute (tested to see if it was able to kill a red / blue pikmin and it is) but with the multi-hitting hadouken, i cant seem to figure out if it is even touching the pikmin (as the normal hadouken would dissappear as it hit a target)

basically what im asking is, is the multi-hitting hadouken a fire attack or is it able to kill a red pikmin.

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
On BF, he can prattack off of the platforms with Nair, hadouken, and, at very low percents, Bair. Otherwise, he can combo into footstools with the back hit of Fair and, I think, Utilt.

EDIT: Oh and on BF, he can also do Down throw onto the side platforms and it is difficult to tech at low percents.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
Got a question on Ryu's Hadouken, mainly the attribute of it and the multi hitting half circle command of it.

I tested it to the best of my ability but i cant seem to figure out the attribute of the multi hitting hadouken, the normal one i figured out does not have a fire or water attribute (tested to see if it was able to kill a red / blue pikmin and it is) but with the multi-hitting hadouken, i cant seem to figure out if it is even touching the pikmin (as the normal hadouken would dissappear as it hit a target)

basically what im asking is, is the multi-hitting hadouken a fire attack or is it able to kill a red pikmin.
It has a fire effect on hit, doesn't it? I figure it would have to be.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus

I just faced a few Olimars today. It counts as a fire attack, so the red Pikmin don't die from it.

Top Bottom