• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who has the best Spike/Meteor smash in SSB4?

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
For Gimping, Sheik, and Diddy come to mind with their projectile moves (bomb, aerial needles, Banana, peanut) , but i heard Yoshi's egg toss is a real pain when used right.

Last edited:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
moved thread to competitive boards so experts can give input.
Best spike is Ganon's down air, unlike other meteor smashes it can KO at 0%, comes out fast and has a long reach.

Last edited:

Teh Sandwich

Smash Apprentice
Gannon's dair is the most rewarding for sure.
Kirbys down air is good too. It stays out long, making it easy to hit. It doesn't have much power, but usually pushes them far enough.

pershona

Smash Journeyman
For spiking Donkey Kong's and Ganon's Dairs seem to be the best. And for overall gimping i found Sheik the most effective.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Gimping?

Villager is like, the master of the gimp. His nair can carry people downwards, his fair can carry people horizontally, to their deaths

And the turnips are potentially the fastest spike in the game (if you get the 3-turnip), out of the ones that have that much kill potential.

Not to mention bowling ball and tree off ledge.

Last edited:

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Pit is one of the best characters for gimping. He has one of the best projectiles in the game, and has great offstage play. His Dair also acts as a spike if hit correctly.

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
Pac-man has great gimping, but no spikes or meteor smashes without customs. One good fair combo or a well placed Orange and that is it for recovery.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Duck Hunt's can is the master of gimping. For characters like Marth, Ganondorf, Mario, Rosaluma, etc. the can just sends them so far (usually at 100%) so their recoveries wont save them. For a Meteor Smash, Ganons is ruthless cause it kills at 0%

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
Don't have any research but sweet spotting Zelda's dair is a pretty vicious meteor smash.

Midnah

Smash Rookie
NNID
zam1137
3DS FC
0533-6057-5242
Best meteor smash has ought to be Luigi. I mean, style points, disrespect, and unexpected.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Falcon's d-air is pretty deadly. I'm sure everyone has seen Max put in work on Nairo's ZSS with that move. Unlike ganondorf, Falcon can actually get to positions fast enough to use it.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Don't have any research but sweet spotting Zelda's dair is a pretty vicious meteor smash.
I actually support this nomination. Unlike most meteor smashes, which have a sourspot that sends opponents away, Zelda's DAir sends them down during the entire duration of the move. Even the weak hit can gimp people.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Yes.

Highest Knockback Spikes:
1. Ganon dair
2. Ganon Wizard's Foot/Assualt
3. DK fair
4. DK dair
5. Diddy dair

Highest Damage Spikes:
19%: Ganon dair
18%: Shulk dair
16%: DK dair, Bowser dair, Toon Link dair, Zelda dair
15%: DK fair, Dedede dair, Duck Hunt dair, Ganon Wizard's Foot, Ike dair, Link dair, Gunner dair, WFT Header
Courtesy of Thinkaman.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Use Luigi
Get them off-stage
Let them hog the ledge twice, removing their invincibility
Down Taunt

Serious answer: Ganon's D-air or aerial WizFoot. Maybe DK too.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Use Luigi
Get them off-stage
Let them hog the ledge twice, removing their invincibility
Down Taunt

Serious answer: Ganon's D-air or aerial WizFoot. Maybe DK too.
DK's spike is interesting...well, one of the four, because his side B spike lingers a bit, and its deceptively strong o.o

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
For strongest, Ganon, for most fun, Kirby's. Not much meteor, but just enough to be able to combine it with more dairs/a footstool. So effective.

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
Rosalina's dair is really easy to meteor with. It's endlag is also really short, so a missed dair is hard to punish.

Last edited:

Saviorr

Smash Cadet
How is there a thread about gimping without mentioning pikachu?

Pikachu covers a lot options and does so safely due to Pikachu's amazing recovery. If a character is recovering low pikachu can down b reverse to put a wall of lightning between the opponent and the stage. Pikachu can also gimp an opponent recovering low with a well timed nair or back air.

Pikachu can also trick an opponent into recovering high setting up the opponent for a thundercloud spike into the powerful hitbox when thunderbolt hits pikachu or pikachu can use the just thundercloud spike without the second part of the attack to send the opponent below the stage.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti

Pikachu covers a lot options and does so safely due to Pikachu's amazing recovery. If a character is recovering low pikachu can down b reverse to put a wall of lightning between the opponent and the stage. Pikachu can also gimp an opponent recovering low with a well timed nair or back air.

Pikachu can also trick an opponent into recovering high setting up the opponent for a thundercloud spike into the powerful hitbox when thunderbolt hits pikachu or pikachu can use the just thundercloud spike without the second part of the attack to send the opponent below the stage.
Not gimping, spiking. If I'm correct, Pikachu doe snot and has never had a spike, but he is an EXCELLENT edgeguarder.

Saviorr

Smash Cadet
Not gimping, spiking. If I'm correct, Pikachu doe snot and has never had a spike, but he is an EXCELLENT edgeguarder.
You are not correct. Pikachu's thunder bolt has a spike hitbox just below the cloud. Also this thread was made for "the best spike or just gimping in general."

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
You are not correct. Pikachu's thunder bolt has a spike hitbox just below the cloud. Also this thread was made for "the best spike or just gimping in general."
Well considering like one other person in this thread even mentioned gimping, it ain't really a big subject. Plus, Thunder is a spike but it ain't the best, nor is it easy to hit.

Saviorr

Smash Cadet
Well considering like one other person in this thread even mentioned gimping, it ain't really a big subject. Plus, Thunder is a spike but it ain't the best, nor is it easy to hit.
It's very easy for it to hit if you know how to space with it correctly. Up throw and upsmash combo into it if you react to the opponent's di.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
It's very easy for it to hit if you know how to space with it correctly. Up throw and upsmash combo into it if you react to the opponent's di.
If you can space anything correctly, you can land a spike. Kirby's d-air, all you gotta do is read a dodge or a laggy recovery and it might as well be gg. Any spike requires spacing and practice, but which one is the easiest and most efficient spike, thats another question.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Zelda and Villager have the most practical meteor Smashes in the game overall. If you include custom moves, Link's meteor Bombs also exist.

Ganon D-air though gets honorable mentions for insane early kill potential. G&W D-air also is underrated for spiking people off the ledge either after trumps or potentially exploiting the universal 1 frame vulnerability window for grabbing the ledge.

TriTails

Smash Lord

Pike is an excellent edgeguarder, but somehow I managed to get around him with Luigi Cyclone everytime he tries to edgeguard. But I DO think Jiggs is a better edgeguarder, maybe Yoshi too, because their N-air has insane priority.

Holla@ChaBoi390

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5100-6686
No love for Mario's spike? haha Seriously satisfying when it lands but it's not as easy as some of the others. Can Lucario recover from other spikes at a high % besides Mario's?

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
:4falco::GCCD:

I do agree that Ganon is the best, given the enormous spikebox and Smash 4's new mechanic of continuing hitboxes once someone gets hit; it'd be a great edgeguard for doubles. It's so satisfying to land.

visvim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
visvim-1893
3DS FC
1736-0405-5625
No love for Falcon's up tilt? It combos perfectly with his down taunt.

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
:4ganondorf:'s Dair is the most powerful meteor/spike in the game, however, the most practical is probably :4falcon:'s Uptilt or :4samus:'s Uptilt

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
:4ganondorf:'s Dair is the most powerful meteor/spike in the game, however, the most practical is probably :4falcon:'s Uptilt or :4samus:'s Uptilt
I dunno

I rarely miss ganon's dair when I go for it. Doesn't Samus's dair have huge ending lag?

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I miss when Ness had the best spike, oh well at least he's actually good this time. It's certainly not the best but I wonder if :4wiifit:'s reverse f-air spike might be the fastest? Most spikes come out pretty slow in this game, but spiking is not the primary purpose of WFT's f-air and it's a very fast move.

Top Bottom