• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Who else LOVES the new C-Stick?

Dacvak

Smash Ace
I just got my New 3DS in the mail yesterday, and I've been playing for hours now. It feels one step closer to real Smash, and I honestly feel like I have a bit of an unfair advantage when I play online. I absolutely LOVE how ridiculously responsive the new C-Stick is. It's crazy fast, it helps my aerial game a ton, and it's brilliantly placed. My thumb sort of naturally wants to C-Stick below the buttons, but after a few hours of practice, it seems very natural. The only thing is that I'm using the normal New 3DS (as opposed to the LL/XL), so I'm used to a slightly larger grip. That being said, I'll be getting the Smash version of the New 3DS LL (XL) in a couple weeks when it releases in Japan, so I'll have a better idea of what it feels like, then.

But seriously, I LOVE this new little C-Stick nub. The addition of ZL and ZR buttons are nice, but you can't individually change their function... It seems the ZL will always do the opposite of L, and ZR will do the opposite of R. (Unless they're just always preset for ZL being shield and ZR always being grab... I should test that.)

That stupid Sheik "chain grab" is a lot easier with a c-stick, and obviously so are smash attacks. I'm a lot less sloppy now, and I feel like my options have gone up by 20-30%. Seriously, if the 3DS Smash community ever really gets going, everyone is going to need one of these. Not to mention, for those of us that play in 3D mode, you practically NEVER lose the 3D effect. It's ****in' crazy - there's an infrared camera near the normal camera, and it tracks your face in real-time and adjusts the screen (WTF? We have this technology!?) to always showcase the 3D effect. I personally love playing in 3D, but in a game like Smash, it's usually too much of a liability. But I'll tell you what, it's actually useful in gameplay (with the New 3DS) because the screen on a 3DS is so small, it's sometimes difficult to tell exactly where the characters are and what they're doing. If you have the 3D on, it gives you depth as well as normal visual, better allowing you to see the characters. Love it.

I seriously recommend this New 3DS to anyone who thinks they'll get competitive on the 3DS. It's only available in Japan right now, but that didn't stop me from buying a couple of them. I'll get the US ones, too, when they come out.

I can't think of anything else about the New 3DS that's different... The control stick feels a lot nicer, but that might just be because it's new. It seems more precise. Oh yeah, worth mentioning, Smash loads about twice as fast on the New 3DS. Everything - first screen, matches, online, home menu, everything. It's just a faster system. And, yes, it still plays Smash at a full 60fps, even in 3D mode.

Worth getting.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Whenever it hits Merica, I'll definitely be looking into it. Can't afford to import things right now though.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
If they didn't announce/release the new 3DS when they revealed shulk, and if they didn't come out with a terrible demo, i would have bought SSB43DS. Now i probably never will since there's no point buying a new 3DS after the wii u version is out. >_>

Good to know the new 3DS amps up gameplay as expected though.

Dbash

Smash Cadet
I'll be getting the New 3DS when it comes out, but hopefully it comes out before the Holidays so it goes on sale in the US.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
@ D Dacvak
A quick test, if you will. What happens when you go into training, set the speed to 1/4 (hold L), and you tap L?

On a normal 3DS it'll alternate between high and low quality models. I was curious as to if the N3DS would always use the high quality ones.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Since I heard it has backwards compatibility with original DS games, I'll probably wait until they come out with an interesting bundle that grabs my attention before buying one.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
What's the point? The Wii U version will be out by the time the NEW 3DS will hit the west.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I'll be getting the New 3DS when it comes out, but hopefully it comes out before the Holidays so it goes on sale in the US.
The New 3DS doesn't hit NA until 2015.

SirSlayer

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2938-6338-4272
Switch FC
5886-4521-4308
I might buy one when it hits America. I've been lucky playing smash with my fire emblem 3ds and I really don't wanna break it

Hero of the Winds

Smash Journeyman
Meh, I don't see the point in getting one, I don't really have trouble preforming smash attacks with my regular DS. I'll get a N3DS if they do a cool bundle..or maybe... may I dare bring it up? A Majora's Mask remake!

PeterJude

Smash Ace
What's the point? The Wii U version will be out by the time the NEW 3DS will hit the west.
For Australia and New Zealand
New 3DS: 21st of November
Smash U: 6th of December

There is more to the "West" than America and Europe.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I don't care about the New 3DS c-stick. In fact, its existence is one of the reasons I am dropping the game once the Wii U version is out. Some people having access to a game changing button, while others don't, is too unfair imo. With the Wii U version, it doesn't matter if you are playing with the Gamepad, Wii U Pro controller or a Gamecube Controller: You will have access to a c-stick thingie.
So? Don't tell me you think the 3DS version will stop being played after the Wii U is out? Because that is clearly not happening.

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I don't care about the New 3DS c-stick. In fact, its existence is one of the reasons I am dropping the game once the Wii U version is out. Some people having access to a game changing button, while others don't, is too unfair imo. With the Wii U version, it doesn't matter if you are playing with the Gamepad, Wii U Pro controller or a Gamecube Controller: You will have access to a c-stick thingie.

So? Don't tell me you think the 3DS version will stop being played after the Wii U is out? Because that is clearly not happening.
Agreed. Although, I have a feeling that once Wii U smash is out, a vast majority of the "good" players will migrate to the Wii U version, making the competition rather dull on the handheld.

Soul.

The only thing the new DS has a C-stick?
It has a faster CPU, amiibo compability, ZL and ZR buttons, and the C-Stick. It's overall better than the original 3DS.
But yeah, good to know the New 3DS C-Stick is responsive and works.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
The only thing the new DS has a C-stick?
More power, c-nub (native support), extra shoulder buttons (native support), Amiibo support (Native), eye tracking 3D (offering wide range of viewing angles), exclusive games (Xenoblade) and for the small one changeable face plates. Nintendo explains all here: Explanation

Last edited:

A Gray Person

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gray21oh
3DS FC
1719-3271-0480
Seeing it used on this Gamexplain video it seems like Smash attacks can be charged with the C-Stick also. I wonder if this means they'll have the stick work like that in the Wii U version?

Why can't I post the link then? Blame me being a newbie here.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Seeing it used on this Gamexplain video it seems like Smash attacks can be charged with the C-Stick also. I wonder if this means they'll have the stick work like that in the Wii U version?

I tend to just copy and paste links, and it works no prob.

PeterJude

Smash Ace

The confirmed that it would at E3 didn't they?

Last edited:

A Gray Person

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gray21oh
3DS FC
1719-3271-0480
I tend to just copy and paste links, and it works no prob.
They seemed to have made it to recognize plain pasted links also.
The confirmed that it would at E3 didn't they?
I really only recall them saying the C-Stick made Smash attacks easier to execute and jumped to the conclusion of it being like how it was in Melee and Brawl. I guess I could have overlooked that?

Everest

Smash Cadet
Good to hear that this strange looking C-Stick is doing just fine. I really want this N3DS to be out in Europe soon :(

You could already charge your smash attacks with C if you held the Z button too.

Last edited:

ChrisP4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christian.P4
3DS FC
5284-1444-6964
Since NA gets it in 2015, I hope we get some exclusive New 3ds Xl's on the day it releases.

ToxicWolf1132

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToxicWolf1132
I need a new 3ds (I dropped mine and one of the hinges broke off. I tried gluing it, but I also accidently glued the R button down, so I can't use it). That being said, Ive played melee all my childhood, and I never once realized the c-stick on the GameCube controller did anything XD

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Right now I'm fine with my old 3DS, even though future games will compatible with the NEW 3DS.

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
I will buy one just because I want it and I am young single and have a good job..... no kids and I just broke up with my gf LOL I used to want kids but lately I have considered not having any. That way I can buy whatever, like another Nintendo handheld I really do not need.....regardless of the fact that I bought a 2Ds, then a SSB 3DS xl, and a Wii u only for SSB4.

HAHA in all honestly will end up with a wifey and kids at some point..... I am just not looking/trying for that atm. Yes totally.off.topic, kinda. I am able to one day soon LOVE the c nub as well once new 3DS drops.in NA all because of my selfish lifestyle choices.! W00T

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
I honestly don't get what the big deal is with the C-Stick, I never used it in Melee or Brawl. Is it really that useful?

AlexAnthonyD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Anthony
3DS FC
1521-5082-7099
I am SUPER excited for not only the C-Stick but a Right Z as well. I need to use it for my air attacks so bad like I have been able to with right bumper on smash 64 and z on Melee and Brawl.

I'm going to purchase a new 3dsxl when they're released and i'll have a giveaway for my current 3dsxl when that happens.

Despite already having the Wii U version of this game I don't think i will ever get sick of having portable smash, and if i'm gunna do something I typically go for the best available.

p4k|wyatt

Smash Cadet
Since I'm trash, I'm excited to be able to down-air with Marth without fastfalling to my death :D

p4k|wyatt

Smash Cadet
Actually, performing an aerial cancels the fastfall now. Pressing down again will make you fastfall again, however.
Let me re-iterate the extent of my trash-ness. I am super trash. I kill myself a few times a day like this. I guess training mode wouldnt hurt :p

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I honestly don't get what the big deal is with the C-Stick, I never used it in Melee or Brawl. Is it really that useful?
It's normal to play smash without the c-stick, but at a higher level of play it's an essential tool. I don't think it's a big deal in the case of the 3ds, though.

I don't even understand the point of this post.

I will buy one just because I want it and I am young single and have a good job..... no kids and I just broke up with my gf LOL I used to want kids but lately I have considered not having any. That way I can buy whatever, like another Nintendo handheld I really do not need.....regardless of the fact that I bought a 2Ds, then a SSB 3DS xl, and a Wii u only for SSB4.

HAHA in all honestly will end up with a wifey and kids at some point..... I am just not looking/trying for that atm. Yes totally.off.topic, kinda. I am able to one day soon LOVE the c nub as well once new 3DS drops.in NA all because of my selfish lifestyle choices.! W00T
lol smesh over family. lets discuss.

Let me re-iterate the extent of my trash-ness. I am super trash. I kill myself a few times a day like this. I guess training mode wouldnt hurt :p
How do you manage to do that? I don't see how you could without doing it on purpose. No offense.

ToxicWolf1132

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToxicWolf1132
I have an question for anyone lucky enough to use the new c-stick. Is it as easily breakable as the normal circle pad when playing smash?

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
im actually tempted to use a new 3ds as my control option once wii u hits tbh

i wanna try the wii u pro gamepad more first though

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I have an question for anyone lucky enough to use the new c-stick. Is it as easily breakable as the normal circle pad when playing smash?
It's not the same thing as the Circle Pad. It's an actual little knob as opposed to the circle pad which is a pad with a round piece of plastic hooked to it.
So no, it's probably harder to break.

ToxicWolf1132

Smash Cadet
NNID
ToxicWolf1132
It's not the same thing as the Circle Pad. It's an actual little knob as opposed to the circle pad which is a pad with a round piece of plastic hooked to it.
So no, it's probably harder to break.
Yea, I saw it was like a small knob, but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't flimsy

Top Bottom