• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who else hopes for no cuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
He has a set amount of time. All characters, including veterans, require time to add. Therefore, R.O.B. would take time to add. That is time that could be taken away from working on another character.
But he's going to plan accordingly. That is the thing you are forgetting. He doesn't have 70 characters and tries to whittle it down to 48 characters. He plans out the roster. Everything gets weeded out in pre-planning.

Speculator

Smash Ace
On topic, Jigglypuff, Snake and Sonic, Peach, Toon Link, Meta Knight, Lucas, and Ike are guaranteed removals(Except maybe Jigglypuff, Meta Knight, and Peach).
What nonsense. "There will be cuts" doesn't mean "Half the roster and some of the most unique characters will be removed."

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
But he's going to plan accordingly. That is the thing you are forgetting. He doesn't have 70 characters and tries to whittle it down to 48 characters. He plans out the roster. Everything gets weeded out in pre-planning.
What about the forbidden 7? Obviously he doesn't always get everything done he plans.

Also, your comment doesn't mean he couldn't have decided before he started that he would rather spend time on a new character than R.O.B.(or vice versa).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The Forbidden 7 where more held back by Sonic than R.O.B. if you ask me since he was basically an unplanned late addition into the cast. Halting the development for these characters. Had Sonic not been included, most of them would have probably made it in just fine. Or at least Mewtwo and a few of them would have.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
ROB isn't keeping your characters out.
Sakurai has to devote time and resources to make characters from scratch to add to SSB4... so technically speaking, if Sakurai wants to add one character, that character gets Sakurai's time and resources but the other character isn't getting in because it didn't get enough time and resources from Sakurai.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
The Forbidden 7 where more held back by Sonic than R.O.B. if you ask me since he was basically an unplanned late addition into the cast. Halting the development for these characters. Had Sonic not been included, most of them would have probably made it in just fine. Or at least Mewtwo and a few of them would have.
I'm not arguing that R.O.B. kept anyone out. I'm arguing that his addition to Smash 4 could. It really seems obvious, but apparently he thinks R.O.B. takes zero time to make.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm not arguing that R.O.B. kept anyone out. I'm arguing that his addition to Smash 4 could. It really seems obvious, but apparently he thinks R.O.B. takes zero time to make.
This. It isn't like Sakurai is copying codes from Brawl's data and pasting them into SSB4's data.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well in that case I suppose so then. Every character does take time to implement yes. But whichever character gets priority is up to sakurai I suppose. Like I said, he plans everything beforehand and makes his checklist of who to prioritize first, who second, and who third etc etc. If Sakurai feels that R.O.B. is more necessary than... I don't know, Lucario Maybe? Then who are we to stop him?

So long as everyone he plans to get in makes it in then it shouldn't really matter who was prioritized first before another I'd say. :/ And now that DLC is possible than any character he couldn't finish on time could possibly be finished off and then offered as DLC at a later date maybe. :/

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Sakurai has to devote time and resources to make characters from scratch to add to SSB4... so technically speaking, if Sakurai wants to add one character, that character gets Sakurai's time and resources but the other character isn't getting in because it didn't get enough time and resources from Sakurai.
Again, that's part of planning. The budget and development cycle take those into account.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am neutral on Star Fox, Fire Emblem and Mother characters so I don't care who gets cut... even though I absolutely love playing as Ness, Lucas, and Wolf in Brawl... so even if they did get cut from SSB4, at least I still have Brawl if I wanted to play as them anyway. So, I don't see cutting as a big deal. I want new characters over old characters because I want new experiences.

MoonlapseOpethian

Smash Journeyman
I hope noone gets cut, especially not Ike, who is a one of the most likely to be cut.

The only people getting cut that wouldn't make things difficult for me are:

:olimar:Never cared for Pikmin. The metagame would suffer abit, because Olimar mains would have one less character to use, and high tiers like him are used alot in the competitive scene, but I wouldn't fret too much

:rob:I almost WANT this guy to get cut. Yes, he's somewhat iconic and unique, considering his history, but I find him boring to even fight, let alone play as.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I like R.O.B. myself but I wouldn't miss him if he gets cut. I still have Brawl and he is not getting cut from Brawl anyway.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
this has become yet again another cuts thread.

oh well.

probably everyone from brawl is planned, but we need to figure out the low priorities and hard to make characters.

Hong

The Strongest
Again, that's part of planning. The budget and development cycle take those into account.
Well, regardless of how he "plans" things, we don't know if Sakurai has learned his lesson.

All logic would dictate that he would be more realistic this time. Don't let it get out of control. Melee actually suffered the least from his over-ambition, actually getting in mostly everything he wanted (some characters didn't make it due to technical restrictions, a few stages). SSB64 had a few things that were planned or axed but nothing in the final product felt half-baked. Brawl is the biggest mess of them all. So many forward+b moves feel incredibly lame and both R.O.B. and Sonic were rather stale in their designs. Of course nothing will be perfectly balanced, but Meta Knight felt like a bit of a sore... something people had suspected since the earliest gameplay footage and yet it still makes it into the product.

It would be great if Sakurai would direct his team to have a more concentrated workflow. You can take it easy with stages and items, but your game mechanics and player characters in any game need to be polished several times over. They are your absolute core experience and must be better than perfect. We don't know if maybe some of the big wigs edged him on last time or he just tried too hard to please too many people, but whatever happens this time I hope he builds his tower from the ground up instead of carting in more stone than he has time to work with. A **** storm is coming and he better be ****ing fortified.

Of course I don't mean anything ill towards our venerated director. He has had my heart since Kirby's Adventure and I have a lot of faith in him... He doesn't make bad games. Though I plan to play the **** out of this game and I would prefer quality over quantity.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Toon link Ike wolf and lucario are the ones in danger

Rob is retro and sakurai decided to add him and it was a success and he is probably going to stay due to being retro loved and historical if they had more time on rob for the nes he would have Ben a fantastic product and if you look mr game and watch was thought to be kicked in brawl but we were wrong so I wouldn't be surprised if that happened except with rob besides 80% of this forum will probably agree with me

Hong

The Strongest
Rob is retro and sakurai decided to add him and it was a success and he is probably going to stay due to being retro loved and historical if they had more time on rob for the nes he would have Ben a fantastic product and if you look mr game and watch was thought to be kicked in brawl but we were wrong so I wouldn't be surprised if that happened except with rob besides 80% of this forum will probably agree with me
Punctuation, please. Don't mean to call you out, but your message is much more clear if you break part your ideas. >~<

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Kind Sirs and Madams, I do believe that Toon Link, Ike, Wolf and Lucario are the Veterans in the most danger of being cut.
The only ones I see in danger are Toon Link, Falco, and Jigglypuff, but they have their reasons for staying too.
So I'd like no cuts. Would I cry if they removed some characters? I'd probably not freak out if Lucario or R.O.B. went, even if I do enjoy them, but you take my Toon Link and Wolf, you dead meat.
I Like how these guys list one or two reasonable cuts and then list extremely unique characters.

I mean, they're completely forgetting everyone is being cut.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I would prefer that either no one is cut.

Or everyone is cut. :troll:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
No one wants cuts. Obviously. Anyone who claims they do is lying to soften the blow as we know it's still a likely thing to happen.

If the balancing is an issue that causes cuts, could they not just do updates to balance the game properly as time went on? Isn't that what the Wii U updates are for? Seems like the best idea if Sakurai's dead set against DLC characters. I have no idea if it'd be possible for the 3DS however.

Also they don't have to screw around making stuff like the SSE as they did in Brawl, so hopefully the time that would have taken has gone into the roster instead.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Toon link Ike wolf and lucario are the ones in danger

Rob is retro and sakurai decided to add him. And it was a success and he is probably going to stay due to being retro loved and historical. If they had more time on rob for the nes he would have Ben a fantastic product. And if you look mr game and watch was thought to be kicked in brawl but we were wrong so I wouldn't be surprised if that happened except with rob. Besides
80% of this forum will probably agree with me
This that better every one

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
No one wants cuts. Obviously. Anyone who claims they do is lying to soften the blow as we know it's still a likely thing to happen.

If the balancing is an issue that causes cuts, could they not just do updates to balance the game properly as time went on? Isn't that what the Wii U updates are for? Seems like the best idea if Sakurai's dead set against DLC characters. I have no idea if it'd be possible for the 3DS however.

Also they don't have to screw around making stuff like the SSE as they did in Brawl, so hopefully the time that would have taken has gone into the roster instead.
I genuinely hope that Wolf and Lucas get cut.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
I dont want any specific characters to get cut, but i do want some cuts simply because i hope there is more newcomers
However, I would be mad if unique characters get cut, but i wouldnt care so much for clones unless they got a new moveset

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I genuinely hope that Wolf and Lucas get cut.
Personally, I would rather cut Falco... Wolf feels too different from Fox compared to Falco. But whatever, cut them both and add Krystal for all I care. I don't even play Star Fox games anyway.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Mario didn't get cut. Link didn't. Kirby. Fox.

On topic, Jigglypuff, Snake and Sonic, Peach, Toon Link, Meta Knight, Lucas, and Ike are guaranteed removals(Except maybe Jigglypuff, Meta Knight, and Peach).

I hope for cuts, badly.
Only Toon Link, Snake and arguably Lucas and Ike have a decent chance of being removed...

Even if you believe that the Original 12 isn't immortal from being cut (As in you think Jigglypuff could be removed). Peach isn't getting cut as she's a solid rep from the Mario series, Sonic for the many reasons stated in the Sonic thread of those (including me) that said why we think he's coming back plus those who gave Sonic at least an 80% or more in the Rate a Character's chances thread gave good reasons why, I don't see how Meta Knight's getting cut either.

There is no such thing as guaranteed cuts as of now. We can only speculate on which is more likely to be cut.

Hong

The Strongest
Personally, I would rather cut Falco... Wolf feels too different from Fox compared to Falco.
I agree.

Rather have a hero and a villain to represent a series with recurring characters like this.

For the record I know Wolf took on more of an antihero role as the series went on, but close enough. Technically King Dedede isn't a villain either beyond one game, just a bit greedy and unfortunate.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Considering Sakurai can't just ctrl+C, ctrl+V the Brawl roster into SSB4, I hope for cuts. It'd be a shame to play a Smash game with barely any newcomers.

Ideally, any cut characters would get added back in after the fact, as DLC.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how game development works, and therefore don't know how long it takes to put a character into a game, but I do know that Sakurai has been open to DLC post-SSB4. So long as he puts his heart into SSB4, I would love to see him release DLC for characters that couldn't make it.

I think that if you took every character in Brawl, and tweaked some of the less fortunate ones (be it in statistics, or on moves altogether, or both, etc), then you would have one of the most solid potential Smash rosters ever. There wasn't a character in Brawl who didn't deserve it, and the only character I could see definitely getting cut is Ike, just replaced with Chrom. Lucas represents an entirely new game. Give him some more unique moves, and he's his own character. ROB and Sonic are completely unique, they just need to get tweaked and made a little more interesting. Toon Link represents a VAST chunk of Zelda titles. He isn't just there to humor the people who want a lighter and speedier Link. He's there to celebrate 25-50% of the Zelda franchise. And Jigglypuff and Lucario have both been made relevant via X/Y, thus revitalizing these two temporary relics, while Pikachu, Mewtwo, and Charizard are unforgettable Pokemon in and within themselves.

I could go on and on with defenses for various characters, as I believe that every character, whether I like them personally, or have played their game, or could care less, made it in for a reason. Sakurai didn't just put ROB, Bubbles, Tamagon, Takamaru, and Little Mac on a dart board, throw the dart, and then put ROB in Brawl. He thought about his roster, and what characters justifiably sum up Nintendo's history.

Do I think there will be cuts? I'm prepared for the worst. But Sakurai isn't just going to go "You know how I thought ROB/Lucario/Wolf/Toon Link/Jigglypuff was cool back in 2007? Well, all of the sudden, they've become the most irrelevant character on the face of this entire roster. Take them out now." It's all based on time, and I could see the lowest priorities being characters from franchises that already have characters repped. Like how the five cuts between Melee and Brawl were all from franchises with other reps (Pokemon, Zelda[sorta], Fire Emblem, and Mario). And the Zelda point is arguable. They basically retextured Young Link and reintroduced him as a Newcomer.

I'm more focused on new franchises. If we get a new franchise over a fourth rep for a game we already know about, then that's fine by me. Again, Sakurai seems slightly open to the concept of DLC.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Toon Link would not be missed by me... but perhaps the Wind Waker remake will boost his chances.

With that said, I'd love to see the roster added upon, and no one cut.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I maintain that the people who think ROB will go are the same people who thought G&W would leave after Melee. They saw him as a "joke" character, or didn't fully understand his origins.

The truth is that there are no joke characters in SSB. G&W wasn't a joke, ROB wasn't a joke and Wii Fit Trainer isn't a joke. These characters are given as much attention and thought as any other newcomer. If a character makes it in then they're there because they're unique, or interesting, or a part of Nintendo history not yet represented in SSB. Everything ROB brings to the game is totally unqiue gameplay and I have series doubts he's anywhere near the chopping block.

D

Deleted member

Me obviously. I think everyone from pre-Brawl have earned their spot and if possible, all should return. However, if we must have cuts, I'd rather third-parties get the axe first followed by Toon Link and Lucas.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
I think Lucario, toon link and wolf or falco will be cut.I really hope Lucas doesn't get cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom