• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who else hopes for no cuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I personally hope that all the characters from Brawl make the jump. Let me say why some of the common targets for cut lists should stay.

Lucario: His popularity and appearances have stayed consistent and is in almost no danger of Zoroark taking over after the advertising dropped him/her.

ROB: Part of Nintendo's history and a unique character to boot.

Mr. Game & Watch: See Rob but he was also on the whiteboard picture for what it's worth.

Falco/Wolf: Both need new Final Smashes but have playstyles that differ them from Fox and potential to differ even more.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think their biggest obstacles right now is time. If you think about it, only Pichu was really supposed to be cut from Melee since he was meant to be a joke character by Sakurai anyway. Young Link got merely redesigned in the same vein as Ocarina of Time Link, Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf to their Twilight Princess designs. He only got renamed because it wouldn't make sense to keep calling him Young Link since he wasn't the younger version of Link anymore. Although he was still considered a newcomer though so I guess you can consider him cut. :/ Link didn't get redesigned again, so Toon Link might be safe but who knows I guess....

So I think it can be likely that the initial planned roster at least involves no cuts since there aren't any joke characters this time around (not to be confused with fighting clowns) but the final roster could very well involve some cuts if there is a lack of time. And it adds up to what Sakurai said of not having the time of bringing everyone back and his dislike of cuts and how no one has been cut so far. But that's just my point of view really. :/

Oh well, in terms of me. I'm looking forward to main the Villager now (or if any more interesting newcomers come along) so I won't be too upset if any of my Brawl favourites get cut. I'ts not like they get removed from Brawl as well I suppose. Although I can't have them battle Villager, Megaman and Wii Fit Trainer etc... :/

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Lucario: His popularity and appearances have stayed consistent and is in almost no danger of Zoroark taking over

It's not zoroark that Lucario should be worried about, it's Mewtwo. Especially now they both have mega evolutions. They could end up being clones of each other but depending on how the mega forms work it could mean having four different characters.

I wouldn't put too much hope in no cuts, it'll just make it even harder in the end. There's only so much time to get them in and some of them will be a lower priority than new faces.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'd love there to be absolutely no one cut from Brawl. Even Sakurai would prefer to be able to bring everyone back. He warned us he'll likely not be able to do that however. Our only hopes for a true no-cuts roster is if Sakurai can find a way to implement DLC to include all the characters they couldn't finish in time. However I don't see the cuts being huge. At most I see as many cuts as there were in Melee to Brawl which was 5. And either way they'd be cut for time, not for any other reason.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I never liked cuts for any fighting game, regardless if I played as--or even liked the character.

Once a combatant is in a series, they become a part of that series' legacy (good or bad). They become someone's favorite, and I know that aspect tears Sakurai up inside.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'd love for no cuts, Brawl's roster in itself was great, however I also like being realistic. I hope that the characters that do end up being cut will get released as DLC, they have the opportunity to do so this time around, so it'd be a very smart move.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Let's see, I think that a lot of people want Toon Link to go. I'm not one of them. My brother MAINS Toon Link and could beat me with him on Final Destination, no items and I'd be Fox. Of course, that may mean I suck, but nontheless, Toon Link is how you make a clone right. Unlike certain electric mice...

So I'd like no cuts. Would I cry if they removed some characters? I'd probably not freak out if Lucario or R.O.B. went, even if I do enjoy them, but you take my Toon Link and Wolf, you dead meat.

Oh, and just a word to the wise, no starters will get cut. It's been a staple of the series.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Oh, and just a word to the wise, no starters will get cut. It's been a staple of the series.
That's a very dangerous claim to be throwing around. Pretty sure this time last year any pokemon fan would have laughed you down if you said Blaziken would be getting a mega evolution. That's one old staple getting it's marching orders.

I get very suspicious when people start playing the "never" card.

Granted the only starter I feel is at risk is Jigglypuff, as much as I love playing as her.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I think most people ideally want no cuts and maximum possible character balance, though since this is basically impossible, you're either going to prefer one or the other. I personally find it near impossible to choose either.

D

Deleted member

Granted the only starter I feel is at risk is Jigglypuff, as much as I love playing as her.
Jigglypuff was a part of the Original 12 and was an unlockable character; it was never a starter to begin with. :p (unless you are calling the Original 12 "starters" since they started the franchise I suppose)

On the topic of this thread, I want the Ice Climbers to get cut, but that's not going to happen I suppose (I am probably the only person on this website who hates them). So, I am hoping that they do cut Toon Link personally because I would hate to have two versions of one character on the roster as it leaves a better potential character to not make it in. Other than that, Brawl's roster is pretty good and I would be upset to see some of the characters from that roster get cut.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I really do hope for no cuts, but they're definitely not impossible. I just hope for as little cuts as possible, mainly because, well, everyone on the Brawl roster deserved to be there.

Speculator

Smash Ace
We know cuts are coming, it's just a case of who. At a guess, I'd say I don't think there will be any more than three losses.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
I hope there aren't any cuts I mean, pretty much everyone there was an earned spot even Toon Link XD

Morbi

Scavenger
I think EVERYONE wants no cuts.
I honestly prefer a few cuts. I want a nice articulate roster. I want the roster to be immaculate. To be honest, some characters are plaguing imminent perfection (I also happen to think ROB is one of them). It would be realistic to have a few cuts based on the notion that they need to create room for some more new characters. If Sakurai thinks Brawl's roster is about how far they can go, he will need to cut a few to add a few. It would be HIGHLY disappointing if Smash 4 is just more of the same with a few characters tacked on. I think it is fair to say EVERYONE wants the best possible game. In order for that premise to come into fruition... cuts must be made.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
What some people need to understand is that Sakurai doesn't just add characters whenever he feels like as he add's more during development. He plans beforehand who he wants to include and then works his way up from there. So no, the likes of R.O.B. and Toon Link don't stop your precious favourite character from getting in, if he/she wasn't planned from the very beginning then they were never planned to be put into the game as a playable character in the first place. :/

Unless your favourite character was planned but didn't make it in due to lack of time which still isn't whoever character you dislike's fault. The developers just felt that that character was a higher priority.

Just giving my two cents here.

Morbi

Scavenger
What people need to understand is that Sakurai doesn't add characters whenever he feels like as he add's more during development. He plans beforehand who he wants to include and then works his way up from there. So no, the likes of R.O.B. and Toon Link don't stop your precious favourite character from getting in, if he/she wasn't planned from the very beginning then they were never planned to be put into the game as a playable character in the first place. :/

Unless your favourite character was planned but didn't make it in due to lack of time which still isn't whoever character you dislike's fault. The developers just felt that that character was a higher priority.
I am not entirely sure if you are referencing me. I never alluded to anything of the sort. I understand how it works. I simply dislike ROB. Lol.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
What's your basis for that?

Even if that were true, I still don't want him in smash.
Because Sakurai doesn't sit there and look at new characters and say "HMMMMM, I have to ROB and Electric Mouse's favoprite character, but I have room for only one because I only think in a set roster size and don't plan the roster size based on the game's scope and characters so I'll keep ROB."

Besides, there was a reason ROB was added in the first place.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Mario didn't get cut. Link didn't. Kirby. Fox.
I hope Sakurai's messing with us and he cut everyone.

You just turn on that brand, spanking new SSB4 and play as the only character available: Wii Fit Trainer.
Nothing like a 4 person yoga battle.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Mario didn't get cut. Link didn't. Kirby. Fox.

On topic, Jigglypuff, Snake and Sonic, Peach, Toon Link, Meta Knight, Lucas, and Ike are guaranteed removals(Except maybe Jigglypuff, Meta Knight, and Peach).

I hope for cuts, badly.
I'm not going to ask about the more commonly mentioned cuts. But why Peach and Meta Knight? (In Meta Knights case, Don't tell me it's because of his tier ranking....)

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
Cut everyone, keep Fox.

No items, Fox only, Final Destination.

On the serious side, no, I was hoping for cuts, in fact, there are someone I want to get rid of... >_>

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Edit: Ninja-d

Peach: There are more important characters with the SEEN ability to fight(the only time we saw her fighting was in the anime and Super Princess Peach, and SMRPG). Examples are Paper Mario and Petey(cue the resizing!)

MK: Meta Knight, despite being all mighty important, is losing it's fan base. King DeDeDe is staying, but Meta Knight is losing it's importance.

Hong

The Strongest
I want them to concentrate on the most diverse, fun and meaningful roster possible. In Brawl they bit more than they could chew. Characters like R.O.B. and Sonic were a mess with very boring moves. While every game will have bugs and imbalances, the madness of Meta Knight and something like Koopa Hopping should not have passed QA in any way shape or form... I don't want this to happen again.

Sure they could just basically rehash R.O.B. as he was if quantity is their concern, but no. I rather have them focus their development time on whatever produces the most fun overall. I rather have one character with a 1.25 fun value than two with 0.75 fun value, if that makes any sense.

R.O.B., Falco, Jigglypuff, Lucario and Sonic are all characters that can be safely axed if we adequately compensate. Snake has a cool play style, so if he is removed someone from Advance Wars or something should adapt to it, and Ike could be replaced with Chrom if they want.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Because Sakurai doesn't sit there and look at new characters and say "HMMMMM, I have to ROB and Electric Mouse's favoprite character, but I have room for only one because I only think in a set roster size and don't plan the roster size based on the game's scope and characters so I'll keep ROB."

Besides, there was a reason ROB was added in the first place.
He has a set amount of time. All characters, including veterans, require time to add. Therefore, R.O.B. would take time to add. That is time that could be taken away from working on another character.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Edit: Ninja-d

Peach: There are more important characters with the SEEN ability to fight(the only time we saw her fighting was in the anime and Super Princess Peach, and SMRPG). Examples are Paper Mario and Petey(cue the resizing!)

MK: Meta Knight, despite being all mighty important, is losing it's fan base. King DeDeDe is staying, but Meta Knight is losing it's importance.
I think you are giving Peach too little credit. She also had Super Paper Mario, Super Mario Bros 2 and now the upcoming Super Mario 3D World to name a few. Peach actually has done more fighting than Zelda did and she is most commonly seen fighting during final battles. She at least has Spirit Tracks though where she did a bit more fighting than just fire Light Arrows or beams of Light.

Really? After Kirby's Return to Dreamland? I find that hard to believe. I would certainly see him end up like Mewtwo if he were to be cut.

Oh well it's just your opinion in the end but I'm not sure I agree with it though...

D

Deleted member

I hope Sakurai's messing with us and he cut everyone.

You just turn on that brand, spanking new SSB4 and play as the only character available: Wii Fit Trainer.
Nothing like a 4 person yoga battle.
I prefer it with Fox being the only playable character and the only stage that can be chosen is Final Destination. Oh, and no items of course.

Yams

Smash Journeyman
I hope all characters return only if they have unique move sets.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
The only character I would not miss would be Toon Link. He's one of my mains, but if Link was just a bit quicker, I'd see no reason to keep TL. But realistically, I think we should expect 2-4 cuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom