• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

who else dislikes ike's new design

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
in this game i feel like ike looks like he took tons of steroids in this game i like his old design from the fire emblem games and brawl. i dont know if anyone else hates the design but i do do you hate it as well? lets discuss this...
:ike:>:4myfriends:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
in this game i feel like ike looks like he took tons of steroids in this game i like his old design from the fire emblem games and brawl. i dont know if anyone else hates the design but i do do you hate it as well? lets discuss this...
:ike:>:4myfriends:
Looks like someone hasn't played Radiant Dawn... plus, this design of ike is way better, as it better complements hus heavy hitting capabilities. Plus, he is further differentiated from Marth

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
It isn't a design "choice" it is simply accuracy. Blue fire = Radiant Dawn.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Radiant Dawn Ike's design fits his playstyle in smash better then his Path of Radiance self which was more speedy. (Although he was fast in Radiant Dawn too but I digress)

Raijinken

Smash Master
With his Radiant Dawn design, he actually makes sense as a heavy-hitter. In his scrawny Brawl/Path of Radiance form, it wouldn't be unfair to call him one of the many stat-wise Marth clones the series has had. And I guess it wouldn't be fair from a balance stance to give him both speed and power, unless we came up with some way to then differentiate him from Bowser.

Most importantly, they got rid of the red fire and made it blue. Still not accurate, but closer.

Last edited:

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
Looks like someone hasn't played Radiant Dawn... plus, this design of ike is way better, as it better complements hus heavy hitting capabilities. Plus, he is further differentiated from Marth
my 3ds broke a year ago so i havent played radiant dawn i just dont like the muscles i think he looks like a stupid hard head ,i played path to radiance and loved ikes design. t think this new one looks stupid and doesnt fit with the other caracters in smash but thats just my opinion.

Radiant Dawn Ike's design fits his playstyle in smash better then his Path of Radiance self which was more speedy. (Although he was fast in Radiant Dawn too but I digress)
i think his old design just looks better

I think Kirby redesign is the worst ...
ikr XD

It isn't a design "choice" it is simply accuracy. Blue fire = Radiant Dawn.
i like th blue fire not the muscles

Last edited by a moderator:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I like the younger Ike from Brawl the most, but I would be lying if I told you the mature Ike from Smash 4 isn't incredibly hot.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Ike's Radiant Dawn design in this game makes him look even more heroic than he was from his old design from Brawl. I like this better, really.

KoRLumen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoRLumen
3DS FC
3437-3066-8679
my 3ds broke a year ago so i havent played radiant dawn
> 3ds broke
> radiant dawn

I thought Radiant Dawn was for Wii?

Personally, I prefer his new look. He looks more mature and battle hardened and I feel like his strength is more justified. Comparatively, the old Ike looked like a newb.

I can see where you're coming from though.

Get Radiant Dawn and dickride it like me and my buddies do. It's a really good Fire Emblem. Also FE games are on more than just the 3DS and Gamecube, branch into them because they're ****ing amazing.

Last edited:

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
His Radiant Dawn look is far more fitting for him, definitely goes with the speed buffs he got in his attacks.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I've never played fire emblem, but Ike's re-design is certainly much more fitting for his strength. In brawl, he was way too powerful for his apparent size and strength, which didn't make sense, but now, he looks as muscular as he should be, and capable enough of giving and taking hard hits.

Trueblade

Smash Cadet
NNID
TruestBlade
3DS FC
0061-0303-4576
PoR Ranger Ike one-handing Ragnell never really looked right to me, so I'm digging that they went with his RD Hero design in Smash 4. My only gripe is that we didn't get a Vanguard alt.

PoR Lord is probably my favorite design overall though.

Last edited:

Baggy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Baggysama
His new design makes his old design look like he was 13 years old.

I haven't played brawl in a long time before Sm4sh, but when I saw brawl ike after playing sm4sh, it was like "... I don't remember Ike looking this... prepubescent."

With that said, I love his redesign. Makes me feel like I grew up with him (or vice versa). I've only played the first FE for the GBA, but I'm strongly considering getting all the ones with ike in it just to be a fanboy.

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
SM4SH perfect just perfect

His new design makes his old design look like he was 13 years old.

I haven't played brawl in a long time before Sm4sh, but when I saw brawl ike after playing sm4sh, it was like "... I don't remember Ike looking this... prepubescent."

With that said, I love his redesign. Makes me feel like I grew up with him (or vice versa). I've only played the first FE for the GBA, but I'm strongly considering getting all the ones with ike in it just to be a fanboy.
sm4sh perfect just perfect

Last edited:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
The new design is far better. I always wondered why such a scrawny looking character was so powerful.

And he's hotter. ;3

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
I actually expected Ike's RD Design in SMash 4,cause Marth got his new design as well.
For me it is perfect.I always wanted a RD Ike textur in Brawl but there wasn't any so it's nice to see him in this game.
+ his Side Taunt for example fits him even better now.

And to be honest PoR and RD are my favorite FE Games so I love both Ike's and didn't care which one is gonna make it.I just expected Ike to be the RD one :)

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
I actually expected Ike's RD Design in SMash 4,cause Marth got his new design as well.
For me it is perfect.I always wanted a RD Ike textur in Brawl but there wasn't any so it's nice to see him in this game.
+ his Side Taunt for example fits him even better now.

And to be honest PoR and RD are my favorite FE Games so I love both Ike's and didn't care which one is gonna make it.I just expected Ike to be the RD one :)
i agree withe the design fitting his moveset i think it looks better in radiant dawn than in smash 4

AdventCross

Smash Rookie
Personally I was fond of his PoR design, though their flaw was giving him his ranger outfit in Brawl, rather than his Lord outfit. That and his playstyle in Brawl never reflected him as a character in PoR since he was pretty balanced with speed and power.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
His Path of Radiance form made no sense, if it made sense he'd have

1) Amazing damage
2) Speed
3) Durability

He'd have only recovery as a weakness.

The blue fire thing is pretty meh, he can only use it with Yune. He has a pocket goddess every time he uses Eruption.

Scrawny body -> More damage
Bulkier body -> Less damage, but combos

Sakurai logic

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I clicked on this thread to post:

Are you NUTS?

But I see that pretty much everyone else thought the same thing, so carry on then.

I remember the night Ike was revealed on Miiverse. I went mental. All the forums I had up exploded. A lot of people were in disbelief; they thought Chrom had his number for sure! Boy was I ecstatic that my confidence in Ike retuning wasn't misplaced. Took me hours to get off the adrenaline, looool. But see, it wasn't just that Ike was coming back, it was the he came back and looked phenominal. I played Radiant Dawn. Smash 4 Ike looks tons better than RD Ike, even with a similar design. Nintendo put a lot of love into the big lug, and it showed. People were hype because for the first time, a veteran got a major overhaul in looks. Well, Bowser too, but Ike was much more dramatic.

Last edited:

gByron

Smash Cadet
Radiant dawn offered the best fire emblem gameplay imo!. Im pretty hyped again. Thats what smash bros does in the first place. One thing is that ike has one of the worst colour palettes. Marth pit falcon peach all have amazing alternative colours. Vanilla ike and black knight ike are the only good ones. They could have put variants vanguard ike :/

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
I remember the night Ike was revealed on Miiverse. I went mental. All the forums I had up exploded. A lot of people were in disbelief; they thought Chrom had his number for sure! Boy was I ecstatic that my confidence in Ike retuning wasn't misplaced. Took me hours to get off the adrenaline, looool. But see, it wasn't just that Ike was coming back, it was the he came back and looked phenominal. I played Radiant Dawn. Smash 4 Ike looks tons better than RD Ike, even with a similar design. Nintendo put a lot of love into the big lug, and it showed. People were hype because for the first time, a veteran got a major overhaul in looks. Well, Bowser too, but Ike was much more dramatic.
First time? Not so much - Ganondorf got a new model, voice, and animations in Brawl going from his OoT appearance to his TP one.

I'm still extremely pleased they actually accurately went with Ike's first game appearance model for his debut and his second game appearance for his return, though, and he even has a Greil skin. It's no Vanguard alt, but it's still pretty wicked attention to detail.

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Radiant dawn offered the best fire emblem gameplay imo!. Im pretty hyped again. Thats what smash bros does in the first place. One thing is that ike has one of the worst colour palettes. Marth pit falcon peach all have amazing alternative colours. Vanilla ike and black knight ike are the only good ones. They could have put variants vanguard ike :/
Hey, I use Red Ike. Black Knight Ike is lacking because the outer cape is brown.

Trueblade

Smash Cadet
NNID
TruestBlade
3DS FC
0061-0303-4576
One thing is that ike has one of the worst colour palettes. Marth pit falcon peach all have amazing alternative colours. Vanilla ike and black knight ike are the only good ones. They could have put variants vanguard ike :/
I'm down for Vanguard but nah man, Ike's got some great alt colours available. I can't stay one colour for long because I like almost all of them. Red for life though.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
PoR Ranger Ike one-handing Ragnell never really looked right to me, so I'm digging that they went with his RD Hero design in Smash 4. My only gripe is that we didn't get a Vanguard alt.

PoR Lord is probably my favorite design overall though.
I agree 100%.

Lord and Vanguard Ike are way too cool not to be alternate costumes. Hero Ike definitely fits his heavyweight SSB playstyle best, but I secretly held out a tiny sliver of hope that Lord Ike would show up at least as a color swap, like the last one in this picture:

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
I clicked on this thread to post:

Are you NUTS?

But I see that pretty much everyone else thought the same thing, so carry on then.

Yeah that was a terrible time for us Ike mainer to hear from everybody that Chrom will take his place.But the power of the Ike Mainer made Ikes epic come back and gave Chrom what he deserved...I guess?

Anyways I am still sad that Ike didn't get his Vanguard color as a costume for "special color" :/

D

Deleted member

His Brawl costume would have made a ok costume, but... the one he has now is just plain out more badass.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
They didn't give Ike his vanguard costume cause then they would have had to increase his speed.

But yeah, RD Ike had almost equal strength and speed. Sad to see him taking a hit on his speed stat here But the exclusion of ragnell beam from his moveset is inexcusable. It was as iconic as his aether (seriously, Only Ike and Black knight were capable of doing this in the whole roster). But instead they gave Ike a completely random eruption move as if he was a part fire mage or something.

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
I'm pretty convinced Ike only had Eruption because Roy had a fire attack, as if actually being fire-based is a thing many Fire Emblem heroes had.

Top Bottom