• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Who else also really likes the speed of the game?

Meelow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meelow
I know some people were disappointed before when it was confirmed the game wouldn't be as "fast" as Melee, and people were worried that this would be Brawl 2.0, imo, I think the speed is perfect, why? Melee's fastness were fun but at times it was annoying because you'd go too fast, for Brawl the slowness was horrible because it wasn't fun, however for Smash 4, I feel it has the perfect balance between Melee and Brawl.

Am I the only one who thinks this?

Thoughts?

Kozmiic27

Smash Apprentice
I love watching doubles, the speed is just right and you can actually see whats going on unlike melee where its too fast and not boring like brawl.
I still like watching melee singles the most though.

FoxMcClown

Smash Rookie
I think a bigger part of the speed up this game got from brawls is in the characters themselves really. Ive been having a blast with ganon of all things. Sure the game is faster, but the slow characters like samus and ganon have been sped up alot too. Im actually able to punish anyone i met hard in for glory so far, just because of how fast ganons neutrals and airs are and how it really doesent leave that much room to be punished if you miss anymore. In brawl punishing anyone decent was so ****ing impossible to me as ganon.

In brawl it was slow + the slow character with **** lag. Hit meta knight shield with even neutral air, gg ganon sit in a combo for hours. Now its actually playable lol.

I wouldnt say its better then melee., its different, but its different in a good way so far. Im probably gona get more serious with falcon again eventually, but it gives me hopes when even ganon is a rewarding character to play.

Last edited:

negikogok

Smash Rookie
NNID
negikogok
3DS FC
3668-8815-6202
It is just nice.
Easy enough to learn and hard enough to advance, and it still comes with a lot of exciting moments.
Plus, SOME MELEE FANBOYS ARE ANNOYING
Nintendo will never want to scare the ones who are new to smash away.

EarthBoundRules

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-0517-2480
Before release, I had my doubts the game would be fast enough. Now, I wouldn't change the speed of the game at all.

Maruigi

Smash Rookie
I enjoy the speed of the game it gives me time to react without having to be extremely precise.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
This speed is perfect for me. Switching to SSB4 from Brawl/PM felt natural and easy, but trying to go back and play those games now just feels painful. Honestly, I think this is the optimum tempo for SSB.

Maybe this doesn't apply to the competitive scene, where a lot of people like watching lightning-fast matches, but for me SSB4 nailed it. My reflexes aren't exactly stellar, so Melee always strained the limits of my physical abilities. I feel much more comfortable with SSB4's speed. SSB4 game gives you ample time to think and strategize (without being a pro), but never feels boring or sluggish. And from what I've watched, the competitive scene is still pretty audience-friendly. It seems a lot more engaging than some Brawl matches.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I think it's perfect. Slow enough that new players won't be overwhelmed, fast enough that competitive players can still take it to a very high level.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
You are not alone. The speed is perfect for me. I am glad it is not as fast as Super Sonic Bros. Melee, but I also didn't want the exact same speed as Brawl.

Aus0115

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aus0116
The speed is amazing, I like this game more than I ever did Brawl. I do wish we fell faster but thats why we have fast fall which is still fast : )

cardboardowl

Smash Apprentice
I'm I the only one that doesn't think faster=better

It is a bit slower than melee but thats a good thing. Melee's speed got old. I really enjoy the tempo of 4

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I love the speed of Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS. Melee by comparison feels too fast to me now and Brawl feels too slow after playing it recently, so this game has become a nice between sped that is just perfect, IMO.

Glottis

Smash Cadet
To me, it feels like the speed of Melee without the use of AT's.
Which suits me perfectly fine since i never used them (apart from
the occasional L-Cancel once i learned they where a thing).
So i definitely enjoy the speed. As long as it's not the slow slog that was Brawl i'm happy.

Last edited:

Jonarobin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PowerMiner
I agree that the speed is awesome, faster than brawl, and not too fast like melee felt to me...

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
*raises hand in agreement*
I like Project M and all, but Sm4sh is just perfect in terms of speed.

Rawkuz

Smash Cadet
I honestly hated the speed when we got it on Friday. Come Wednesday only a few days later I am loving it almost the same as PM.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
The speed is very good, its easy to learn, but not so fast where you feel like you're out of control. Slow enough for still being able to react easier, but not so slow where its like watching two snails fight.

haxfactory

Always in the lab
NNID
thehaxfactory
3DS FC
1779-3108-5319
Switch FC
SW-1200-3583-4733
The speed is amazing, I like this game more than I ever did Brawl. I do wish we fell faster but thats why we have fast fall which is still fast : )
I'm actually liking Link for that reason, he falls really fast in this game.

I like dropping fast fall neutral airs with him. It almost feels like I'm playing Fox. His dash attack is now a kill move too which is pretty nice.

I mostly play Marth/Lucina in Melee/4 and I haven't played Link since 64 so adapting to him as a secondary has been a struggle, but he feels good thus far.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I feel the gravity should be a tad heavier, but the speed is great overall. It feels exciting again!

D

Deleted member

I like it. I liked Brawl, but sometimes it did feel a little slow, and I can't do too much of the crazy stuff in Melee consistently. This is a nice middle ground.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Defense is dumbed down in that movement options are reduced, thus spacing and zoning become less of tools, and makes defense a more static thing with the primacy of shields and rolling.
Offense, likewise, is lacking in that the only relatively safe options are few, and often flat and boring, and are often tentatively thrown out, due to the lack of shield push, shield stun, and lack of adequate rewards proportional to the risks available.
It's not so much speed, but that it has less depth, I think.
But the above shows that speedy mechanics and depth have coincided in smash before. Not so for 'slow' mechanics and depth.

Last edited:

QWA

Smash Apprentice
It feels clunky to me. Defensive options also feel a bit stronger than they need to be.

Top Bottom