• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who do you think is the most OP Character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexkenny

Smash Cadet
I've logged TOO many hours into SSB1, and I want to see what yall think.. Everyone could have a different strategy, so I want to hear!

#1: DK
I have a friend that has an UNBEATABLE strategy with Donkey Kong, proving that I think he is the most OP. I believe this because DK's grab is very quick and has an impressive range. He also is a character solely based upon timing slow attacks for a large hit. With practice, one can use DK to take out almost any opponent just by grabbing, using B, aerial moves, and up B. I may conjure up a video of my friend doing this soon, ***if yall really want to see his ways****

#2: Cpt. Falcon
Aside from DK, I believe one other character has the skill set to be unbeatable by any opponent. Cpt Falcon has very powerful aerial moves and a very cheap Down B, Falcon Kick - which can be spammed on the ground. Following this is his Up B which when aimed correctly can hit someone from below 90% of the time, and his Down Aerial Spike - which can spike players down and off the map when ground isn't below them, and his powerful falcon punch (which is all simple timing) could make him unbeatable.
Watch what I mean mainly in 0:30-1:20

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
u pretty accurately described the dk meta actually but it does not make him op. as for falcon his falcon punch is WAY too slow to use "simple timing" agaisntt any good player. and his falcon kick is easy to avoid if your enemy is spamming it

Sangoku

Smash Master
You don't seem to have enough experience to beat your "cheap" friend. However, at higher level, none of what you describe is unbeatable and some of it is even really bad.

Also, your thread question has been debated a lot of times and a lot of characters end up being represented as really cheap.

1) Kirby: u-tilt spam, ridiculous hitboxes all around.
2) Falcon: uair * N + Up b
3) Fox: laser spam and camping
4) Pikachu: utilt, gimps
5) DK: grab spam
6) Link: run away and spam projectiles
etc.

I mean every character has something that could annoy someone, so in the end, either it's a very cheap game, or it's the way it is and we should stop complaining.

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
#1: DK
I have a friend that has an UNBEATABLE strategy with Donkey Kong, proving that I think he is the most OP. I believe this because DK's grab is very quick and has an impressive range. He also is a character solely based upon timing slow attacks for a large hit. With practice, one can use DK to take out almost any opponent just by grabbing, using B, aerial moves, and up B. I may conjure up a video of my friend doing this soon, ***if yall really want to see his ways****
DK is one of the worst characters in the game

alexkenny

Smash Cadet
1) Kirby: u-tilt spam, ridiculous hitboxes all around.
2) Falcon: uair * N + Up b
3) Fox: laser spam and camping
4) Pikachu: utilt, gimps
5) DK: grab spam
6) Link: run away and spam projectiles
etc.

I mean every character has something that could annoy someone, so in the end, either it's a very cheap game, or it's the way it is and we should stop complaining.
I think you're looking at what I said in a very shrewd way haha, I beat him every once in a while (trust meh) I was just trying to exaggerate how good he was with DK's strategy, although his low tier. Don't need to insult my years of smash bros training man!! lol.
You could say that his grab spamming is cheap, but he also utilizes the DK punch (B) with perfect timing, even aerially. With the ability to do so on multiply lv 9s. I'd say its skill so I wouldn't discredit him.
Also could you tell me more about Cpt. Falcons cheap move you were trying to mention?

Sangoku

Smash Master
I'm saying you're probably not very skilled (no offense by the way, I could be wrong), because of specific things you say such as falcon kick being good and spammable. Any good player would easily dodge the falcon kick and punish the huge ending lag it has. Years of play has sadly little correlation to one's level. You would probably understand better if you played online. I see you have expressed interest in doing so and I encourage you to try setting things up. If you have trouble setting it up remember we're here to help you.

Now to answer you:

1) DK's neutral B can be used in combos in specific situations, but absolutely not spammable situations. Hitting with a neutral B out of the blue is not a good thing to do. The fact it works against CPUs tells absolutely nothing concerning whether the move is good or bad. For more insight concerning CPUs, here are posts I wrote about them and why it's a bad idea to train against them.

Training against one CPU is already a bad idea, so playing against multiple ones is really the worst thing you could do. Some things that work against a CPU don't work against a real player and some things that work against a real player don't work against a CPU. This will only result in you developping an anti-CPU playstyle completely inefficient against a human being. Simple examples: 1) Kirby's rock works everytime against a CPU and almost never (or really situationally) against a real player. 2) Spamming rolls to dodge attacks/move on the stage. And there are a lot more. If you played against real players (and good ones) often, then it wouldn't do much harm to play CPUs, but CPUs only is a bad idea.
Shielding is just one element of the overall passive playstyle one would develop against a CPU (again, because it works), and why would you do differently if you only play CPUs? You see that a combo is working against a CPU and you see that a passive* playstyle is working against a CPU, how on earth would you know (if you never play good human players) that the former is something beneficial to keep, while the latter is detrimental to your game? The dilemna holds true for anything that works against a CPU, thus so many Kirby's rock spammers and roll spammers among non competitive players.

*Just so we agree on the definitions, passive doesn't mean defensive. While it is arguable that a defensive playstyle is optimal (or at least very good) in that game, it's not the case of being passive. Being defensive means you work a lot on your spacing (ie putting space between you and your opponent, moving to stay out of their range), while passive is waiting and shielding an aerial then punish on the landing lag (for example).
2) Falcon's most basic combo consists of hitting with uairs (if you don't know what that is, again, read the smash index), as many as possible, then finish with an up b. It is an extremely easy and an extremely efficient combo. Cf this video for an example and more insight concerning Falcon's easy combos.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
The truly OP character in the game is Pikachu (though try convincing Isai of this). Not to be confused with "cheap", by the way. Honestly, any character can be cheese if the players' skill level is polarizing enough.

As far as I know, DK and Falcon have no spammable moves. They have common combos, sure, but even those aren't considered spamming (or at least they shouldn't). When it comes to Falcon, your best bet is to avoid being grabbed; once grabbed, it's very possible to wind up going from 0% to death in a single combo. There are other things, including with DK using his Giant Punch as a (powerful) combo finisher, but I'm by no means a frequent player (much less half a pro) at Smash 64.

Mr Bushido

Smash Ace
Pikachu and Fox (and Ness) are the best characters should one reach their full potential.

As for the ratio of skill / reward, Captain Falcon and Kirby are the most "OP", because both require little mental and technical skill in order to achieve performance on-par with most of the other trained characters; a not-so-decent Kirby player could go even with a decent Mario player, or a not-so-decent Falcon player could go even with a decent Samus player.

Sensei

Smash Lord
Giant Metal Pikachu spamming Down-B is OP. :troll:

DK is a lot of fun to use and has potential but he is a huge target and easily comboable and doesn't have many approaches except mindgames with back air, up-b, etc.

Sedda

Smash Champion
luigi obv. in case you guys didn't know, when youre really really close to another character and use up-b, you do this op move that kills instantly. similar to jigglypuff down-b but luigi creates a little bit of fire with his up b LOL sakurai plz nerf

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
It's definitely Pikachu. That Thunderspiking, ridiculous gimping and recovery.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
so is every single thing on your user page

awful username, made up location, too many small smash heads, down syndrome bird...jesus christ

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
so is every single thing on your user page

awful username, made up location, too many small smash heads, down syndrome bird...jesus christ
you got everything besides the made-up location right.

idk why I didn't use my actual Handle for smashboards

Last edited:

Annex

Smash Ace
don't worry, cobr's just mad he lost hipster cred as the only 64 samus main

I think your bull**** ****ing maymay name is great :009: "son I am prowd of yr maymes" ~blastdad the best mayme

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
this thread is cringe-worthy
Welcome to Smash 64.
Im pretty OP
I find it so funny how nobody liked your post.

you guys ness is clearly the best he will pk fire and you will be like trapped and his recovery is so long and hits so hard and his edgeguarding is the best with that dair and that pk thunder like it scares me IDK why it just does but yeah ness is the best

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
:4zelda:

but MY :4zelda:

:teeth:

^The amount of butthurt from a lame joke XD Its outrageous. Like Calm down,seriously. o.o

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom