• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who do you think is next for Smash 4 DLC?

When do you think we'll get our next DLC Character?

• Total voters

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I feel like this thread is getting dangerously close to becoming bashing. Can we just stop speaking about Wolf and get back on topic. I'll start, do you guys think we will get any "surprise" characters, you know like a character that would catch us off guard?

Chico2099

Smash Apprentice
I feel like this thread is getting dangerously close to becoming bashing. Can we just stop speaking about Wolf and get back on topic. I'll start, do you guys think we will get any "surprise" characters, you know like a character that would catch us off guard?
Very true, I think Shantae would be a nice surprise character.

ConDeeCas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ConDeeCas

COOKING MAMA FOR SM4SH!!!!!111!!!one!!!1!

shane3x

Saint of Swords
I never got the popularity Wolf got. I know he's not a clone (more of a semi-clone, I think) but I do think that Star Fox has a good amount of reps especially for the type of series Star Fox is. I understand why people want him but I personally hope we get a newcomer instead.
He's the villian. rival, anti-hero representation for Star Fox. You got your Bowser, Ganondorf and whatnot and Wolf is equivalent to their roles for Star Fox.

I agree an original moveset would be nice.
This has already been put to rest but www.ssbwiki.com/User:Toomai/Cloneosity

I was told by Mods not to antagonize with clone talk on this thread. I'm sorry but if you continue harassing people about this I'll have no choice but to report it.
How is addressing something presented harassment?

Thegreenblur

Smash Cadet
I agree. and a character that might catch us off guard (Ryu would have if that leak wouldn't have came out btw) I'd say Geno or Banjo and Kazooie.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Oh boy now were gonna have fun with this thing,

Unexpected First Party character:
Unexpected First party character that I want and you will too once you take a look at him:

He's so cool

Unexpected character from a third party series that is represented in smash:

Though considering his size, I doubt he'd be in his eggmobile or mech.

Unexpected purple character:

:troll:, Though he was confirmed by Bill Trinen.

Unexpected character if Sakurai is kidnapped by Monkey Ninjas:

:troll:

Last edited:

Thegreenblur

Smash Cadet
Oh boy now were gonna have fun with this thing,

Unexpected First Party character:
Unexpected First party character that I want and you will too once you take a look at him:

He's so cool

Unexpected character from a third party series that is represented in smash:

Though considering his size, I doubt he'd be in his eggmobile or mech.

Unexpected purple character:

:troll:, Though he was confirmed by Bill Trinen.

Unexpected character if Sakurai is kidnapped by Monkey Ninjas:

:troll:
What about reckless Wii Mote Guy? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

D

Deleted member

With Mr. Sakurai's recent comments on it "all being fan service from here" coupled with how he may be done with the veterans, I'm starting to think that might end up impacting Wolf's chances severely. How likely does everyone think he is as of now?
Still the same as always, I will change my avatar to whatever Smashboards wants for two months if Wolf somehow fails to get in. I am absolutely confident in Wolf's inclusion; he has everything going for him that Lucas and Roy did and even more thanks to Star Fox Zero.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thegreenblur

Smash Cadet
Still the same as always, I will change my avatar to whatever Smashboards wants for two months if Wolf somehow fails to get in. I am absolutely confident in Wolf's inclusion; he has everything going for him that Lucas and Roy did and even more thanks to Star Fox Zero.
I'd say Wolf had even more going for him than Roy and Lucas did. Roy, people gave up on him, and Lucas, well...people weren't exactly begging Sakurai to put him back in (at least from who I had been talking to prior to his release, aside from jwitz) But if by some cruel chance Wolf does not make it in, I will go and eat every food I hate, blended together. I'm that possotive he's making it in.

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
Ah... I'm sure Nintendo's getting tired of putting old characters back in Smash. I mean, as much as I would like to play as Pichu, the Ice Climbers(not gonna happen, I know), or Young Link again, neither of those three are gonna make it in, I don't think. I can kinda see Shantae, Shovel Knight, Quote, or some other well-known third-party character with ties to Nintendo possibly making it in. I, personally, want to see one more Pokemon(Eevee/Riolu!), but as they already have six that's not gonna happen. I'm not exactly sure who they're gonna put in next, it's anyone's guess at this point.

Chico2099

Smash Apprentice
He's the villian. rival, anti-hero representation for Star Fox. You got your Bowser, Ganondorf and whatnot and Wolf is equivalent to their roles for Star Fox.

this thread is about characters that you think are likely I would appreciate it if you would stay on topic. I would hate to have to report you.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'd say Wolf had even more going for him than Roy and Lucas did. Roy, people gave up on him, and Lucas, well...people weren't exactly begging Sakurai to put him back in (at least from who I had been talking to prior to his release, aside from jwitz) But if by some cruel chance Wolf does not make it in, I will go and eat every food I hate, blended together. I'm that possotive he's making it in.
Lucas definitely had a lot of requests. By our knowledge, he was the most requested DLC character after Mewtwo in Japan.

Chico2099

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received

FYI your little wolf thing in signature is contradictory to what you have been saying in the thread. You keep claiming Wolf is not a clone yet one of your points in your signature is basically acknowledging the fact that he is a clone. Dark Pit and Doctor Mario etc. Nuff Said. So basically that point means since Dark Pit and Mario are clones it is ok for Wolf to come back as well since he is a clone.

Thegreenblur

Smash Cadet
IF THERE IS ANY MORE POSTS REGARDING CLONES BELOW THIS, THIS RED TEXT WILL INSTEAD BE WRITTEN WITH WHOEVER POSTED IT'S BLOOD! (that means I need help from some moderators to just ban them from the thread. Thanks in advanced :) )

Thegreenblur

Smash Cadet
Lucas definitely had a lot of requests. By our knowledge, he was the most requested DLC character after Mewtwo in Japan.
Hm. Interesting. Out of people who I had been talking to at the time they really wanted back Snake and Wolf. I guess me and my friends have different tastes.

Chico2099

Smash Apprentice
I'd really like Snake to come back but, I don't think he is likely. Though perhaps the most likely new dlc character is an unlikely choice that's not even being considered from the ballot.

StormC

Smash Hero
Hm. Interesting. Out of people who I had been talking to at the time they really wanted back Snake and Wolf. I guess me and my friends have different tastes.
http://smashboards.com/threads/poll-vote-for-your-preferred-smash-bros-dlc-choices.375784/

Looking at this, Lucas got third behind Wolf and K. Rool.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/02/19/perception-of-smash-dlc-in-japan/

And Lucas is at the top in a February sampling.

I think Lucas was more passively supported in the west, kind of like Wolf now, than with an active fanbase like K. Rool/Isaac.

Thegreenblur

Smash Cadet
http://smashboards.com/threads/poll-vote-for-your-preferred-smash-bros-dlc-choices.375784/

Looking at this, Lucas got third behind Wolf and K. Rool.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/02/19/perception-of-smash-dlc-in-japan/

And Lucas is at the top in a February sampling.

I think Lucas was more passively supported in the west, kind of like Wolf now, than with an active fanbase like K. Rool/Isaac.
The fact that Lucas was a massively supported character in the west is kind of surprising. King K. Rool Dominating the poll, not so much... I'm just curious to find out if they even are working on Wolf. I remember reading somewhere that there was some files someone dug up in Smash 4 when the game first came out that hinted at cut characters. Wolf was one of them. If that was real, they could already have parts of him already done or damn near close to being done. Wolf is a highly requested character internationally (only placing behind King K. Rool. God that guy is for sure making it in at this rate.) But I don't see why they cut him. He was a fan favorite, he's a first party character, and he felt like a fresh new character back in Brawl. On top of that he was arguably one of the best characters in the game aside from Meta Knight. Anyways, I'm thinking we may be getting a DLC character with the next wave of content in August. I'm almost certain we'll get a character then and Wolf seems by far the most likely. But if he, by some AWFUL reason does not make it in, ho boy, they're gonna have one Salty Tactician on there hands.

StormC

Smash Hero
The fact that Lucas was a massively supported character in the west is kind of surprising.
I disagree, as MOTHER fans are very good at mobilizing and being loud.

(only placing behind King K. Rool. God that guy is for sure making it in at this rate.)
I wish I shared your optimism!

But I don't see why they cut him. He was a fan favorite, he's a first party character, and he felt like a fresh new character back in Brawl.
He was probably deemed low priority with Star Fox being in limbo and Fox and Falco already on the roster.

Last edited:

shane3x

Saint of Swords
He was probably deemed low priority with Star Fox being in limbo and Fox and Falco already on the roster.
I don't think he was cut per se, but more they had their priorities and figured they could get back to Wolf later as DLC considering the amount of veterans who have returned.

candyissweet

Smash Apprentice
I expect August since I'm pretty sure the tournaments are going to be available at that time too, which kind of counts as downloadable content itself, so a new fighter might as well hop onto the load.

I've wasted the last month of my life waiting for the next DLC confirmation.

I feel awful.

Thegreenblur

Smash Cadet
I expect August since I'm pretty sure the tournaments are going to be available at that time too, which kind of counts as downloadable content itself, so a new fighter might as well hop onto the load.

I've wasted the last month of my life waiting for the next DLC confirmation.

I feel awful.
Trust me, I know how you feel. Ever since Ryu Ryy and Lucas all came out I've been hopelessly waiting for some type of character announcement. I don't understand why Nintendo never says anything about future DLC until it's a little bit away. Or on the day they come out *cough*Roy, Ryu, Dreamland 64 and Mii Fighter outfits *cough* They did great with Mewtwo. they announced him in December. 4 months before he came out. Now we're lucky to hear any news at all regarding DLC.

I don't think he was cut per se, but more they had their priorities and figured they could get back to Wolf later as DLC considering the amount of veterans who have returned.
I like what Sakurai did there if that's true. He didn't want to piss off any fans by pulling a Capcom and finishing a character before the game is even out and sell it to us as DLC. He just doesn't finish the character ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Out of the veterans wolf is the only 1 i want back tbh.
TBH I am done with newcomers after Wolf. Unless Nintendo strikes a deal with Konami and Snake comes back. You'd have no complaints from me. I just wanna see some brand new fighters to mix up the game. Like what Ryu did, and to a certain extent the new and improved Roy.

Last edited:

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Next 2: Wolf and Rayman/King K. Rool/Shantae. And the last DLC fighter should be Viridi/Kid Icarus Rep to complete Palutena's guidance.

Thegreenblur

Smash Cadet
Next 2: Wolf and Rayman/King K. Rool/Shantae. And the last DLC fighter should be Viridi/Kid Icarus Rep to complete Palutena's guidance.
Rayman and any kid Icarus rep are not happening. Rayman is a 3rd party character and I believe is owned Ubisoft. And Ubisoft and Nintendo aren't exactly on good terms right now. And also, any kid Icarus rep is unlikely for many reasons. Also, Palutenas guidance's are done. When DLC fighters come out they got a stock line about them being from another dimension. They will not be making any more until if we ever get a Smash 5 (Which even if we do it will be YEARS down the line. I'm talking like 6 or 7 years.)

Last edited:

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Rayman and any kid Icarus rep are not happening. Rayman is a 3rd party character and I believe is owned Ubisoft. And Ubisoft and Nintendo aren't exactly on good terms right now. And also, any kid Icarus rep is unlikely for many reasons. Also, Palutenas guidance's are done. When DLC fighters come out they got a stock line about them being from another dimension. They will not be making any more until if we ever get a Smash 5 (Which even if we do it will be YEARS down the line. I'm talking like 6 or 7 years.)
That, and Kid Icarus characters have had more cameo's in games then it has actual games. Pit represents part retro part modern relevance in terms of his inclusion. I don't see how without a heavy push in terms of Kid Icarus games in future how the series as a whole can justify continuing to add more characters, I'd imagine Dark Pit would go in a Smash 5 but Palutena would probably stay.

They've had one game in the last almost 25 years. Star Fox has had a game for almost every platform for some reason it shrunk while Kid Icarus grew?

Thegreenblur

Smash Cadet
That, and Kid Icarus characters have had more cameo's in games then it has actual games. Pit represents part retro part modern relevance in terms of his inclusion. I don't see how without a heavy push in terms of Kid Icarus games in future how the series as a whole can justify continuing to add more characters, I'd imagine Dark Pit would go in a Smash 5 but Palutena would probably stay.

They've had one game in the last almost 25 years. Star Fox has had a game for almost every platform for some reason it shrunk while Kid Icarus grew?
You do have to remember though, Kid Icarus only recently got a reboot. It also did pretty well so I think its safe to say we'll be getting more Kid Icarus games in the future. But a new Smash rep? Hell no. Considering series like Kirby, Star Fox, Donkey Kong and Metroid have only 2-3 reps atm, Kid Icarus does not need a fourth.

Thegreenblur

Smash Cadet
Well guys, its over King K. Rool is now a Mii outfit. I for one am outraged at this but what are you gonna do? Sakurai seems to not give a **** about what we want atm.

Fogs

Smash Cadet
I'm thinking and hoping Wolf will be next. Even if I'd feel for the K.Rool fans if the costume is meant to represent him and we're not getting him as DLC, I'd personally be happy with it (sorry), since with K.Rool out of the way, the veterans I want have a bigger chance! (It would also mean that the ballot results don't set the DLC characters in stone, so less popular veterans like squirtle and Ivysaur may have a chance.) I also believe that Sakurai said that he wishes he could bring every veteran back? So yeah! Hoping for all the veterans to return, but not keeping my hopes up too much, I don't believe it will happen.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I'm not too sure about K. Rool being out of the running yet. On one hand, you can take this as deconfirmation, on the other, Mr. Sakurai just acknowledged K. Rool's existance, so I'm still not exactly sure what it means.But, on the off chance that this IS a deconfirmation, do you guys think this would this indirectly help a few characters? Now if K. Rool is out, how do you guys think the line up will go? Personally, I think Bandana Dee and Wolf are pretty likely now, with Isaac just shortly following those two. Wolf's a vet with a huge fanbase, and has a reason to appear soon (promotions), Bandana Dee has been heavily hinted at this game (No waddle dee trophy + Sakurai's custom stage including him), and while Isaac is obviously a front runner from the ballot, I'm not sure Nintendo wants to use him at all anymore.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Wolf is most likely to me. I'm gonna have fun with this thing. :wolf: :wolf: :wolf: :wolf: :wolf: :wolf: :wolf:

After that? Probs Isaac (Huge demand for Golden Sun), K. Rool (Mii costume doesn't mean he's been skinned), or maybe even the Inklings (See K. Rool).

Thegreenblur

Smash Cadet
Wolf is most likely to me. I'm gonna have fun with this thing. :wolf: :wolf: :wolf: :wolf: :wolf: :wolf: :wolf:

After that? Probs Isaac (Huge demand for Golden Sun), K. Rool (Mii costume doesn't mean he's been skinned), or maybe even the Inklings (See K. Rool).
Not sure who will be unveiled next. But I can pretty much expect Wolf from the veterans side and for newcomers? Not really sure to be honest.
I'm thinking and hoping Wolf will be next. Even if I'd feel for the K.Rool fans if the costume is meant to represent him and we're not getting him as DLC, I'd personally be happy with it (sorry), since with K.Rool out of the way, the veterans I want have a bigger chance! (It would also mean that the ballot results don't set the DLC characters in stone, so less popular veterans like squirtle and Ivysaur may have a chance.) I also believe that Sakurai said that he wishes he could bring every veteran back? So yeah! Hoping for all the veterans to return, but not keeping my hopes up too much, I don't believe it will happen.
Knowing what Sakurai's been doing Wolf will be a Mii Costume. Or never come out at all because he clearly doesn't know what his fans want.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Knowing what Sakurai's been doing Wolf will be a Mii Costume. Or never come out at all because he clearly doesn't know what his fans want.
It's more likely he couldn't work out the style/flow/properties for the character to his satisfaction within a certain time frame. Smash Ballot isn't "The top X characters will be put in", it's "We want to hear who you want and we will take these into consideration". Standard smash criteria still applies and while K.Rool would have made a nice addition, to make DK rep equal to Kirby (Even though DK sells more then Kirby but have less reps I assume is mostly Sakurai Bias) and a good villian rep he might have had similar issues to Chrom in that he wasn't happy with how he turned out.

He may still yet appear in a Smash 5, however if he doesn't appear in any major DK games between now and then it'll be a long shot for sure. While K.Rool does enjoy some popularity his fundamentals and arguments for his inclusion are met by some major obstacles and arguments against.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Inkling, Bomberman, Giana or Shantae (And Slime). otherwise I ain't getting nuthing more if it's just K. Rool and Issac TBH.

Last edited:
Top Bottom