• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who did you expect to main, and who do you actually main now?

LOGIA666

Smash Apprentice
I aimed to main Robin after that epic trailer, but found him/her to be too slow, with an awful grab.

Now I main ROB, a character I've never liked ever. Thought he was boring in Brawl, and couldn't get the hang of him in Project M. Loved him almost immediately in Smash 4.

Kaiboiii

Smash Cadet
I was so hyped for Little Mac as I had been playing Punch Out recently when he got revealed, after maining him for a while I stopped because people make fun of Mac players. However I find I have more fun with Fox, Captain Falcon, Ness, etc now.

I was also thinking of Robin but never picked him up.

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I was so hyped for Little Mac as I had been playing Punch Out recently when he got revealed, after maining him for a while I stopped because people make fun of Mac players. However I find I have more fun with Fox, Captain Falcon, Ness, etc now.

I was also thinking of Robin but never picked him up.
I would've main Little Mac also but I think we all know anyone who plays a Little Mac now is just some scrub who'll spam or some other stupid stuff like Jolt Haymaker off a cliff. To be honest Little Mac players just make him have a bad reputation.

Reiga

He sold diddy for a switch
3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
I thought I'd main somebody like Dedede or Ness, but now I'm maining Yoshi, DHD and Bowser Jr., something the past me would never think doing so, but the 2 characters said before still are mah secondaries though :p.

Creuz

Smash Rookie
Being a newcomer to the Smash scene (the only smash I really played was melee and I was like 8) I planned on maining characters that I liked.

Expected: :4yoshi::4luigi::4pacman:

I discovered that I hated the way :4yoshi::4pacman: played and decided they weren't for me.

Now: :4sonic: and still looking for one other to play, no one has really felt right, probably because I'm still getting the fundamentals down

Edit: If anyone has suggestions please throw them at me. I like speedy characters, reliable KOs, or solid combos. I'd like to learn zoning characters but they're so hard for me.

Last edited:

LordFreezyPops42

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordFreezyPops42
I expected to stick with my brawl mains, Wario and D3. That's exactly what happened. I'm considering messing around with some of the newcomers, like Bowser Jr. and DHD.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
:4dedede: was my Brawl main, :4drmario: was my Melee main, and :4littlemac: was my most wanted newcomer. Wound up maining :4miibrawl: with :4kirby:, :4dk: and :4ganondorf: as secondaries.

Last edited:

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
Dat Rosalina and Luma trailer was just so freaking hype.
1.:rosalina:
2.:4ness: (cuz I loved lucas)
3.:4pikachu:

But now ~
1. :4pikachu::4palutena:

and I am so happy I ended up maining them somehow!

CCTANK93

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CCTANK93
3DS FC
4296-3062-4792
I thought I was going to main Sonic again like I did in Brawl but as soon as I saw Lucina I knew I was going to main her instantly. I loved Awakening and to have my favorite character playable is amazing. Lucina is my main with Pit unexpectedly as my second. I'd consider Sonic my third now lol

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Expected to main Bowser Jr, now main Bowser, though BJ is still really cool.

_Vicious_

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vicious09
i was expecting to main sonic like i did in brawl but i have just gravitated to ZSS ... before the game out i was thinking i want to try wii fit trainer and ZSS never came to mind

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Expected to main :4bowser:, but played :4charizard: for most of the time, and feel more confident playing as him than Bowser by now.
However, my true main is still on the way...
:mewtwopm:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Expected: :4robinm:
Early playtime: :4palutena::4littlemac:
Middle playtime: :4villager::4diddy:
Now: :4miigun::4charizard::4sheik:

However, due to restrictions of Mii in my region in tourneys Gunner is currently friendlies only. Charizard is my current real main because of this but once I can play Gunner like I want he will become a secondary. Sheik currently serves as a secondary to Zard but will eventually turn into a pocket that I bring out when I'm not feeling it with Gunner or Zard.

Everything is subject to change as time moves on but I seriously doubt I will ever move away from my preferred Gunner set-up.

Ringedge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ringedge
I was super excited to play and main Ness and Robin, but after getting the game and playing it more and more I found that D3 and Palutena are my favorites right now. Although I was also super excited for Palutena and hated her at first, after attending PNWR and seeing Big D play I thought I should try her and D3 out more. I also still use Ness and Robin from time to time, but not nearly as much as I thought I would.

SilverhandX

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilverhandX
I expected to main Link, but I don't like his playstyle in 4 nearly as much as PM, and I ended up maining Captain Falcon in 4.

KingChael

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2638-1993-9117
I really wanted to play :4robinm:/:4robinf: but I don't really like how their moves turned out. Eventually I came falling back to :4sheik: because of how much better they made her as her own character.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
Excepted to main::4greninja::4myfriends::4robinm::4littlemac::4shulk::4lucina::4falco:
Main: :4greninja::4robinm::4littlemac::4shulk::4myfriends::4falco::4marth:... and:4falcon: which surprises me because I wasn't very good with him in Brawl.

:4lucina: is a secondary though.
Which reminds me, I need to change my sig.

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Expected: :4robinm:, :4lucina:, :4shulk:, :4darkpit: and :4megaman:.

Actuality: :4robinm:/:4robinf: and :4lucina:. Although, both :4shulk:and :4darkpit: are still a character's that I use frequently, however, I'd consider them to be more of subs than a mains.

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
I was going to main villager, but I ended up liking sheik and zss more. Then when the WiiU version came out I ended up accidentally jumping on the Diddy Kong bandwagon.

CannonGanon

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-1498-3334
Totally thought: :4falcon::4bowser::4peach:
But I actually ended up: :4ganondorf::4yoshi::4shulk:

Ganon is actually usable and that surprised me so I decided to give the man some chances

EmblemCrossing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EmblemCrossing
3DS FC
1590-4692-1363
Was planning on :4villager:, but after the reveal went with :4villagerf:

But really, I mained Villager since the Smash Fest at Best Buy last year. I planned to main Palutena and Shulk, but after the 3DS version came out, I decide I wasn't very good with Palutena, and I'm average as Shulk. I was going to play Zero Suit, and that didn't work out. Tried out :4drmario:, didn't really feel it. Too poor recovery. Wanted to play :4darkpit:, but felt bad that I was essentially copying my friend, who plays :4pit:. And I clicked with Lucina and Robin, who I was hoping to main from their trailer.

So planned: :4villager::4robinf::4lucina::4palutena::4shulk::4zss::4darkpit::4drmario:

Actually play: :4villagerf::4robinf::4lucina::4wiifit::4peach: (Trying for :4palutena:)

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I expected to main :wolf: and have :snake:as a secondary until they killed them off. :c

After it was announced that my previous mains were ablated from Smash existence I figured I'd just play :4tlink: and joked around about playing :4duckhunt: :4villager:

Now I seriously play :4duckhunt:and :4bowser:. Craziness.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I picked out Duck Hunt and Pac-Man because they were the most interesting and were some of the only older characters.

Ended up loving Duck Hunt's projectile game and Pac-Man in general is extremely fun to just control.

I still have my previous mains from each game (minus Snake...):
:4ness::4gaw::4olimar::4duckhunt: Designated third party main::4pacman:

By order of most used:
:4olimar::4ness::4pacman::4gaw::4duckhunt:

Olimar is in the lead by about ten more matches than Ness. Duck Hunt is kind of straggling behind.

Had Snake come back, he'd probably be up there with Olimar...

OnettGirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Antagonistgreen
3DS FC
4742-5570-4170
I planned to main :4pit:/:4darkpit:,:4sonic:,:4myfriends:,:4marth:,:4link:. Mainly Pit/Dark Pit.

But I ended up PSI Rockin' :4ness:. Like...a character that's the furthest away from my usual play style was the character I ended up feeling the best with. And it all happened cause I was picking random with a buddy of mine just to see if the game would throw me a character that felt good. [at that time I had finally decided the others just weren't meant for me and I was just trying different characters.] And Ness just happened to be the first character I got on random and I kicked my bud's ass. Haven't went back since. I've always loved Ness[and Lucas] as characters from their games and whatnot so I have no problem with this at all. I still have all those other characters [minus Marth] as secondaries or play abouts. But Ness now has my total focus.

FightingPorygonTeam

Smash Apprentice
I expected to main :rosalina:, :4shulk: and :4villager: (admit it, they have a weird awesome moveset).

But now I mostly play with (random order): :4sheik::4dedede::4yoshi::4peach::4falco::4duckhunt:

Some day, I will master Rosalina (= not letting luma die on every attack)...

Mechageo

Smash Ace
TL:DR
I expected :4villager: but ended up with :4kirby:.
Thanks for that, that's the first time I've actually seen a TL:DR and breathed a real sigh of relief. :)

I thought I'd main Megaman, but ended up maining Robin.

Last edited:

Werewoof

Smash Rookie
Pre-release:

1. :4sonic:
2. :4dedede:
3. :4falco:
4. :4duckhunt:
5. :4ness:

In actuality:

1. :4sonic:
2. :4falco:
3. :4ness:
4. :4dedede:

I hated how weak Sonic was in Brawl, was pleased to find he was better in Smash 4 so I stuck with him. I hate how Falco plays in this new Smash but I'm sticking with him. He wound up replacing D3 as my blue bird of choice in Smash 4. But I'll break out D3 when I'm feeling cheeky.

Blazerator

Smash Cadet
NNID
josh2499
I wanted to main Mega Man since he's my favorite :3

But Greninja was just too easy to use and well...

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I've been maining Mewtwo since Melee for a short year until Brawl released.

Mained all through Brawl (in my heart)... (actually mained Sonic and ICs).

Mained Mewtwo all through the 3 years of speculation.

I mained Greninja for about a month in utter disappointment at Mewtwo's absence. And then went back to maining Mewtwo in my soul until he gets released and I can actually main him.

Last edited:

Reaperfan

Smash Apprentice
Originally planned: :4wiifit: and/or :4palutena:

After playing for a while: I've not decided for sure, but I've narrowed it down to either :4miigun: :4villager: or :4bowserjr:. Still need more time to call any one of them officially "picked" though.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I really wanted to go with :4megaman::4bowserjr: and :4dk:, but I ended up maining :4rob:.

:4bowser::4wiifit::4villager: and :4wario: are becoming my secondaries, with Wario rising to the top.

Top Bottom