• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who did you expect to main, and who do you actually main now?

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I thought I was gonna main Duck Hunt, but I don't really like him that much :/ It's easy to win, but I just don't enjoy it very much. I still haven't found a main. Ganondorf is my "competitive" character, but I think I like WFT the best for annoying my friends.

JNET

Smash Cadet
NNID
Traeks
Expected to main either :4falco:(was hoping) or :4marth:. Was big into melee, so I forgot I hated the Brawl :falco: changes. Never got real into :4marth:, but what I played I just felt sort of *meh*. Tried a few more chars but :4zss:playstyle immediately resonated well. Surprisingly lately though I've been playing a ton of :4falcon:and enjoying. Thinking of switching mains to him.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I expected to main Yoshi...and I do. 15ish years of experience though made that much obvious. Throw in my other most beloved character

However, for secondaries; I expected to love Duck Hunt a lot more than I ended up doing, but Bowser Jr., a character I previously despised, turned out to be a lot more fun.
Likewise I was looking forward to Robin, but I barely play him/her as I just can't gel with them.

Yusa

Smash Cadet
Came in expectin' to woop floors with :4palutena::4shulk::4peach::4dedede::4ganondorf:

And ended up getting salty with :4falcon::4falco::4myfriends: while spreading salt as expected with the kings. :4ganondorf::4dedede:

Qnez

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gunzelino
3DS FC
4511-0457-1518
Fox. Still my main. Yoshi is getting up there though. I might even be better at him, But I still like to play fox more.

Gamr_8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer807
I really wanted to play :wolf::lucas::pt: but I can't find them anywhere ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ok time to be serious, I actually really wanted to play :4greninja: & :4robinm: but Robin was too slow for me, and Greninja (while I did play him in the 3DS version) seemed like he got worse when the Wii-U version came out

LF2K

Floor Diver
I wanted to main :4littlemac:, being a character I supported. But after seeing him everywhere, I settled on :4megaman: and :4villager:. But my boy :4ness: is still one of my favorites.

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
Before either games came out, I expected to main :4villager:, :4littlemac:, :4sheik:, and :4falco:. I wanted to main :4falco: even before he was announced. I was super excited. Then the game came out, and I can't even play him without being sad. He was my PM and Melee main. Now I have this crap.

I wanted to main :4villager: because I love Animal Crossing. And gotdamn, I love how he plays.

I wanted to main :4littlemac: because I thought I would like how he plays. I was wrong.

I wanted to main :4sheik: because she was my secondary in Melee and PM.
I currently main (I'm including secondaries and thirdaries and fourdaries and etc.here) :4falcon:, :4drmario:, :4villager:, :4luigi:, :4greninja:, :4bowserjr:, :rosalina:, :4mario:, :4sheik:, :4lucina:, :4marth:, and :4fox: in no particular order. My main three are :4falcon:, :4drmario:, and :4villager:.

I pretty much can use all of the Mario Bros. because they play so similar. Same with :4lucina: and :4marth:. Kind of similar with :4greninja: and :4sheik:, as they are both ninjas.

I believe I have a pretty solid lineup. Counters to everything, I think.

Last edited:

_gold_

Smash Master
I didn't expect to have a main before I played, but I suppose Samus or Wario since they were my mains previously. I ended up with ZSS cause I really liked the addition of her jet pack boot things...

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
Villager was my most-wanted character, so I immediately decided that I'd absolutely main him. Now, he's the third of my "main mains", the other two being Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina.

Arti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Arti31415
3DS FC
2621-3001-2960
Mega Man, Shulk, or Pac-Man.

One of those won!

Shin Chie

Smash Apprentice
I really wanted to only main :4megaman:

But now along with :4megaman: I main :4sheik::4marth::4lucina:. I mained Marth in the other games too and I like playing him in 4.

CraftZ49

Smash Rookie
NNID
CraftZ49
I expected to main :4falcon::4sheik::4marth:.

I'm starting to lean towards :4jigglypuff:, switched :4marth: to :4lucina: for a little bit but back to :4marth:, kept :4falcon: and dropped :4sheik:.

I'm still in some sort of trial phase with :4robinf::4ness::rosalina:

ItsBearTime

Smash Rookie
I instantly fell in love with :4villagerf:'s moveset of random objects from watching pre-release videos, and fully expected them to be one of my most-played characters. :4megaman: was another character I expected to love, due to being a nice ranged fighter (and for being flippin' :4megaman:). :4robinf: also captured my interest, due to being a neat magic user.

As far as veterans went, I had expected to keep on using :4pikachu:, one of my top 2 characters in all previous Smash games, along with :4bowser:, who I had recently picked up in Brawl/PM, and was supposed to become the new top-tier.

Then I played the demo, and realized that :4villagerf: and :4megaman: played...weird. I mean, I don't know what I was expecting, but they didn't really click well with me. :4pikachu: also felt nerfed from Brawl for whatever reason, so I was kinda discouraged from him too. AT this point, I had decided against maining :4bowser:, at least until the 'Bowser OP next S tier' bull had passed (and because of being nostalgic for old, crappy :bowser2:).

So I was pretty much left without a main for the first month and a half of playing the game. I turned to :4gaw:, my 3rd favorite from Brawl, but his nerfed kill potential turned me away from him quickly. I then tried :4jigglypuff:, who I played a bit of in Brawl and I was happy to see she was viable again. I enjoyed playing as her, but she was WAY too stressful for me. So for the sake of my heart, I dropped her for a less volatile character.

I soon settled into playing :4roy:, enjoying taking advantage of bad players who couldn't handle Mechakoopas. But it soon became clear that I wasn't making any real progress playing :4roy:, do I switched mains yet again. I decided to give :4ness: a shot, because I heard he was actually viable this time around (and that his B-throw is bananas). The fact that EarthBound is probably my all-time favorite game helped matters, and :4ness: ended up being a good fit.

But the story doesn't end there. While playing a few random matches with my friend, I decided to give :4dedede: a shot on a whim. And to my surprise, he clicked with me perfectly. And so he became my main, with :4ness: as a close second. I also decided to give :4bowser: a chance, now that people finally stopped seeing him as OP (I will miss the good ol' headbutt F-Smash, though).

Oh yeah, and sometimes I also play as :4pit:/:4darkpit: and :4robinf:.
---
Expected:
Mains: :4pikachu:/:4villagerf:/:4bowser:
Secondaries: :4megaman:/:4gaw:
Tertiaries: :4robinf:

Reality:
Main: :4dedede:
Secondary: :4ness:
Tertiaries: :4bowser:/:4pit:/:4darkpit:/:4robinf:

A summary:
Expected to main :4pikachu:/:4villagerf:/:4bowser:, with some :4megaman:/:4robinf:/:4gaw: on the side.

Demo discouraged me from playing :4pikachu:, :4villagerf:, and :4megaman:, overhype discouraged me from playing :4bowser:.

Tried :4gaw:, :4jigglypuff:, and :4roy:, before deciding on :4ness:.

:4dedede: ended up taking me by surprise and knocked :4ness: down to #2. I also started playing :4bowser:.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Expected: :4falco::4megaman::4gaw:
Reality: :4megaman::4gaw:

This was back when I thought Sakurai literally goes out of his way to make the Star Fox characters deliberately top-tier. Fox is still good in Sm4sh so I guess nothing changed aside from low-tier Falco. R.I.P.

Last edited:

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
I wanted to play Rosalina the moment I saw she was in Smash,
I played her a bit on the 3DS but I was kind of disappointed with how hard it was to set up kills and how often luma wouldnt respond or how easily it died.
Then I started playing Diddy on the 3ds and I was happy with his general game play style since it fit how I like to play (aggressive AF)
Im trying to learn Villager atm, but I may also pick up Pikachu.

-Yasuo

Smash Rookie
NNID
AYoshiEgg
Expected to main sheik. Still main sheik
But kimg dedede is ****ing awesome. If i lose a matchup with sheik i almost always win with dedede. Landing a fat side smash with dedede is soo satisfying. Seriously.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I was expected to main :4myfriends:,:4littlemac:,:4link:,:4lucina:,:4marth:,:4megaman:,:rosalina:and :4zss:
I now main :4myfriends:,:4link:,:4lucina:,:4megaman: & most of all :rosalina:. :4littlemac: would eventually become one of my secondaries along with my man :4falcon:,:4ganondorf:,:4shulk: and :4zelda:. Unfortunately, I really didn't get into :4marth: nor :4zss: besides Classic and All-Star modes.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't mind playing bad characters, so despite some nerfs I play the exact same characters I've done in previous Smash titles. I was never very interested in any of the newcomers either, so even if I enjoy messing around with Lucina and Greninja it was very straight-forward and easy for me to get going.

Gotta say that it is refreshing actually getting to play Meta Knight though, I expected to main him in Brawl but felt bad about playing him due to how broken he was, so I guess if anything it's nice that my original plan for Brawl was finally able to be executed with Smash 4.

Last edited:

Dreamy Luigi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DreamyZack
3DS FC
3239-3015-8059
Robin, Lucina, and Rosalina beforehand. But ive switched to Sheik, Falcon, and Yoshi.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I expected to main :4ness: and that's exactly how it turned out. Ness is my boy and I wouldn't refuse to acknowledge him! Although, I will say that I was also planning on maining :4shulk: and I practiced a lot at first, but it hasn't turned out that well. I'm maining :4pit: like I expected too.

Victor Marczyk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Duskblack
3DS FC
1950-8264-0245
I thought megaman and greninja would be the most strategically balanced mains every based on the trailer, then I realized that I only play them when I'm not being serious

Last edited:

Playat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Playat
3DS FC
0473-7807-1815
Expected to main :4ganondorf::4lucina: :4myfriends: :4palutena: :4robinm: :4littlemac: :4bowser: :4greninja: before the game release.
As of right now, only :4ganondorf: and :4robinm: for WiiU/3DS. I seriously thought I could main Lady Palutena based on what was shown to me pre-release and I liked her character design.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Was super excited about Doc and Pac-Man, now I main Mario (regular, due to Doc's disappointing recovery) and Ness. I still enjoy Pac-Man, though it's more in territory of messing around than serious play. Luigi's just short of 'main' status as usual (though I like him a ton more in FFAs), as is Pikachu.

Otoshimo

Smash Rookie
was expecting to play as:4dedede::4falco::4ganondorf::4luigi::4palutena::4pacman::4rob::4wiifit: before the games release

By the time of the Wii U version, I'm maining:4roy::4kirby::4pacman::4pikachu::4rob::4shulk: and secondaring:4bowser::4dedede::4duckhunt::4villagerf::4sonic::4ganondorf::4diddy:

I really strayed off from what I was expecting. Still wanting to play more as Lady Palutena and Wii Fit Chick tho... working on that..

Meowser

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChronoRabbit
I was crazy hyped about :rosalina: when she got announced, and the reveal of :4bowserjr: played a HUGE part in me actually buying the game to begin with. I was aching to play BJr. again since Mario Strikers Charged (dat theme <3). Also he's cute as hell, and I actually loved the "disguise" in Mario sunshine a lot, because it was literally just a bandana with a mustache painted on it, and everyone believed he was Mario, which I found infinitely hilarious. Lil' bugger is one of my fave characters out of the franchise and finally gets some love in this game...

However, it turned out that I didn't like either much in my first hours of the game. I'm not a fan of puppeteer archetypes, and BJr. felt clunky to me with his limited range on everything. So I ended up maining my old love :4bowser: again, who -surprisingly- received a ton of buffs and now feels like an actual contestant rather than a large, stylish punching bag. Adding :4lucario: in his old role as my secondary, mostly because I can't wait until Mewtwo releases. Funnily enough, I ended up playing a bunch of :rosalina: lately because she's actually a lot more fun than my first impression made me believe, and I plan on picking up :4bowserjr: again as well as soon as I manage to overcome my awful suckage in 1on1.

crcsmash

Smash Rookie
Mi main is :4falcon: and my secondary is :4ness: before the game was released i expect to use :4samus: but now a days is really difficult to use .

Khao

Smash Lord
I got into the game with a "Screw mains! I'll just enjoy myself, play as everyone, and let favorites come in naturally" mentality.

It worked well enough, I slowly kept "striking" characters while making my main list smaller and smaller. It was fun, and I got to know every character in the game quite well.

I ended up with Pit (who was one of my secondaries in Brawl), Marth (who has never ever been even close to being my main), and Mega Man (Favorite newcomer both before and after release. Probably the only character I actually expected to play as a lot).

Tonah

Smash Rookie
NNID
Tonah1
3DS FC
3523-2048-4040
I expected to main Robin, but I wanted to get good with one of the Pokemon and I tried out Charizard and loved it. I might try using Robin a little more later.

Top Bottom