• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who Counters Robin?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Marth, Lucina, Palutena, Little Mac and Peach can all counter Robin :nifty:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Zamus can infinite him if she's quick and lands a downsmash.

Anyone with a reflector will hurt his/her approach significantly, as well.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I've played with Robin a lot online and here's what has given me trouble:

Greninja- He's probably the biggest pain. His weak Water Shurikens are able to stun Robin briefly, cancelling the charging of his tomes. His swift movement and low running height allow him to duck under some of Robin's attacks, and since Robin is a character that requires precise hits, this is a problem. Since Robin's Elwind deals no damage near Robin's body and leaves him in a free-fall, smart Greninja players can use his Up B (Aqua Jet?) to push Robin away from the field after he uses his recovery. He's also very fast, which doesn't provide Robin with a lot of time to react and use his moves properly. My best strategy against Greninja players has been using Arcfire and Arcthunder and hoping that he runs into them, then following up with Levin Sword aerials. Robin's Down Smash is also useful, as is Nosferatu for catching Substitute spammers.

Little Mac- He gives Robin the same problems as Greninja. While he has no ranged attacks, his Jolt Haymaker can clear the distance between the two characters surprisingly quickly and leaves Robin scrambling to charge moves. He can get up close to Robin fast and lay a massive hurting on him if Robin isn't careful. Arcfire is Robin's best friend, since unlike Greninja, Little Mac shouldn't be jumping over it, and if he does, he's vulnerable to Levin Sword aerials. But be careful- Little Macs seem to spam Counter when they're in the air, so watch carefully and punish them after they've used it instead of getting your Smash Attack thrown back in your face. Arcthunder (again) is usefull too, since Little Macs need to block it instead of jumping over it and they leave themselves open to follow-up grabs.

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
Zamus can infinite him if she's quick and lands a downsmash.

Anyone with a reflector will hurt his/her approach significantly, as well.
I was under the impression that with the recent patch involving Peach's bug on online getting removed that the infinite also got removed along with it? Or am I mistaken?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I was under the impression that with the recent patch involving Peach's bug on online getting removed that the infinite also got removed along with it? Or am I mistaken?
No, it wasn't removed.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
No, it wasn't removed.
Still, it's rather hard to get right. I was playing the other day and a ZSS kept spamming her blaster and left herself open a lot. When she finally did almost land the combo, she only got away with one footstool before I rolled out of the way and threw my tome at her.

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure about character counters, but how long does do the sword and book take to recharge? That seems like it's supposed to be the one saving grace keeping Robin from being overly good, but two stocks are short enough to where I don't really see Robin losing his sword until the end of the match. Aparantly the book recharges super fast.

Hong

The Strongest
I'm not sure about character counters, but how long does do the sword and book take to recharge? That seems like it's supposed to be the one saving grace keeping Robin from being overly good, but two stocks are short enough to where I don't really see Robin losing his sword until the end of the match. Aparantly the book recharges super fast.
From our data thread, rounded to the nearest second:

Thunder tome: 10
Fire tome: 11
Dark tome: 39
Wind tome: 7
Levin Sword: 8

Robin loses her sword and fire tome basically all the time. Thunder tome, sometimes. Wind and shadow, less likely. Also keep in mind that Robin has other weaknesses, such as slow ground movement, and vulnerability from above while recovering.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
@ LinkNIvy LinkNIvy

From our data thread, rounded to the nearest second:

Thunder tome: 10
Fire tome: 11
Dark tome: 39
Wind tome: 7
Levin Sword: 8

Robin loses her sword and fire tome basically all the time. Thunder tome, sometimes. Wind and shadow, less likely. Also keep in mind that Robin has other weaknesses, such as slow ground movement, and vulnerability from above while recovering.
Pretty fair assessment. I've got the Japanese version and I'm always losing the Arcfire tome and Levin Sword, and also the Thunder tome depending on the matchup. They're all back before long, so I'm almost never too worried.

However, there's a benefit to losing your tomes and sword- if you catch them, they KO around 110% when thrown (the tomes are actually better when thrown. While I usually wouldn't exhaust your useful tomes just to get a one time KO move, if you're diligent, you can get good at recognizing when your tomes are about to expire and capitalize on this. Also, if Nosferatu is not your jam, you could always intentionally waste all four uses to get your tome throw sooner (but it takes forever to recharge, so be careful).

Last edited:

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
I've played with Robin a lot online and here's what has given me trouble:

Greninja- He's probably the biggest pain. His weak Water Shurikens are able to stun Robin briefly, cancelling the charging of his tomes. His swift movement and low running height allow him to duck under some of Robin's attacks, and since Robin is a character that requires precise hits, this is a problem. Since Robin's Elwind deals no damage near Robin's body and leaves him in a free-fall, smart Greninja players can use his Up B (Aqua Jet?) to push Robin away from the field after he uses his recovery. He's also very fast, which doesn't provide Robin with a lot of time to react and use his moves properly. My best strategy against Greninja players has been using Arcfire and Arcthunder and hoping that he runs into them, then following up with Levin Sword aerials. Robin's Down Smash is also useful, as is Nosferatu for catching Substitute spammers.

Little Mac- He gives Robin the same problems as Greninja. While he has no ranged attacks, his Jolt Haymaker can clear the distance between the two characters surprisingly quickly and leaves Robin scrambling to charge moves. He can get up close to Robin fast and lay a massive hurting on him if Robin isn't careful. Arcfire is Robin's best friend, since unlike Greninja, Little Mac shouldn't be jumping over it, and if he does, he's vulnerable to Levin Sword aerials. But be careful- Little Macs seem to spam Counter when they're in the air, so watch carefully and punish them after they've used it instead of getting your Smash Attack thrown back in your face. Arcthunder (again) is usefull too, since Little Macs need to block it instead of jumping over it and they leave themselves open to follow-up grabs.
I'd say you're dead-on, I mostly have trouble against fast characters whereas I can completely destroy slower characters like Bowser. Big issue with Greninja like you said is the spells going over him, I've had similar issues with small characters like Pikachu/Kirby at a lesser extent.
Little mac can sometimes go through spells without flinching as well. I think he has the potential to be Robin's biggest counter.

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I'd say you're dead-on, I mostly have trouble against fast characters whereas I can completely destroy slower characters like Bowser. Big issue with Greninja like you said is the spells going over him, I've had similar issues with small characters like Pikachu/Kirby at a lesser extent.
Little mac can sometimes go through spells without flinching as well. I think he has the potential to be Robin's biggest counter.
Good point about the smaller characters- I forgot to mention that. They always give me a little problem, especially since you have to take into account their height when aiming Arcfire. Duck Hunt in particular is troublesome- with his already good spacing tools and odd dimensions, sometimes it's hard to hit him without falling into his traps.

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
Good point about the smaller characters- I forgot to mention that. They always give me a little problem, especially since you have to take into account their height when aiming Arcfire. Duck Hunt in particular is troublesome- with his already good spacing tools and odd dimensions, sometimes it's hard to hit him without falling into his traps.
I forgot about DHD, he is a nightmare for everyone I think.
You can't charge your spells with his range and it's hard to get arcfire through his projectiles.

Blueman12

Smash Rookie
NNID
Blue15324
3DS FC
1564-3456-9986
Rosalina and Palutena can be kinda hard. Rosalina because of Mr. Luma being the puppet it is that allows Rosalina the advantage when she's completely safe, and Palutena because of the reflect spell and max distance Aura Reticle. Although Levin sword stuff can knock out the Luma decently fast and Palutena is a little slow...

dna.noodle

Smash Rookie
I want to second Greninja and Little Mac. They have the tools to avoid our projectiles and keep pressure on us. Greninja's shuriken are a pain, and for the same reasons so is Sheik. She can interrupt our spells and put a good amount of damage on us with just shuriken. Then when she wants to apply pressure it can be damn hard to get her off us.

One more I'd found is that Kirby and Jigglypuff can play an air game that is hard for me to defend against. Unless I shorthop and use air moves, I can't really hit them in that zone forward and just above my head--that sweetspot kill zone for Marth. Maybe DSmash would connect, but our sword is quite short. Without testing that I can't be confident it'll hit or that the downtime isn't so long that I wouldn't get punished for trying it.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Robin has trouble getting enemies off him/her when they're up close, so quick mobile characters that rack up damage are a pain.

Loki

Smash Apprentice
I +1 the toughness of Little Mac and Greninja, and also add Sheik to the mix. She´s fast to get past Robin's defenses, and also dem needles ignore the spells, geting trough arcfire's pillar and stuff. As for LM, I dont think the match-up is that unfavorable. Its all about being patient and getting LM in the air. Once you do so, some well timed thunders and Elthunders (specially Elthunders) will keep them at bay. Also, thanks to LM lack of air-game it is safe to return to the platform and play keep-away while planning how to recover ground.

Sheik on the other hand... not only does she has needles that slowly but surely rack up damage, there's also the grenade that works as a rather unortodox edge-guard tool, good thing is that the grenade is punisheable if they do it too soon.

But yeah, on the grande scheme of things, speedy characters (specially if they have projectiles) are and will be a major pain for Robin. It will take some real strategies to get past their annoyingness.

And strat's/tip's for beating Robin?
I have not played the game at all. However, I expect this to not have changed much in fighting games.

Quick Example: If you are charging up a smash attack. lol Congratulations you just telegraphed your attack. Avoid that stuff unless your opponent can literally not avoid it (shield broken for example) or it is a safe attack on a whiff. If your attacks whiffs it should be a low cool down move. Primarily why attacking with aerials has sort of been the go to strategy for like the entire franchise history. Lucina/Marth an do a short hop forward aerial attack and have low cooldown after the swing due to landing on the ground.

Plus, do not get hit. The rest is sort of execution, making few mistakes, and general game knowledge.

Disorient

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0602-6507-5297
How do you guys feel about Robin v Mario? I found it difficult since Mario's close up game is a lot better & you're kind of forced to approach him.

EntropyAA

Smash Rookie
NNID
Metaroo
3DS FC
3411-1156-6504
How do you guys feel about Robin v Mario? I found it difficult since Mario's close up game is a lot better & you're kind of forced to approach him.
Long time lurker here.

Mario is definitely one of the tougher matches online for me (including Greninja). Good use of cape makes me think twice before using any thunder spells. His close up combo game can get you from 0 to 40% pretty quickly if you don't vector out correctly. I want to stay his downthrow to up tilts are pretty much guaranteed.

I haven't been struggling with little mac though. At least online, Just back throw him off the stage and follow up with a fair/bair. Insta-gimp.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Who counters Robin?
Anyone with a Counter. :troll:

In all honestly, I think Robin Dittos will be quite challenging.

MMurph27

Smash Rookie
I've struggled with Sonic and Marth quite a bit, and Rosalina has given me some issues too. I would assume DHD would destroy her as well due to superior stage control.

Ignoth

Smash Cadet
I posted something similar in another thread.

Aggressive in-your-face close range fighters make Robin's life difficult.
Characters with a good, spam-able projectile can be troublesome too.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Uurgh... decent Little Macs are a pain in the arse to fight as Robin. He can play defensively or offensively against you and there's barely anything you can do about it.
It also doesn't help that the 3DS lacks the C-Stick so my air game is clumsily mediocre.

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
So, let's see if we can get a list of those pesky characters that give Robin a heck of a time:

Greninja: THIS GUY. He's annoying as heck. He's fast, has spammable projectiles(Water Shuriken), and also can prevent Robin from even charging with an offensive rushdown game. Not to mention the guy can duck under Thoron barely...he's a pain in the arse for sure. Also need to watch for Shadow Sneak since he'll pop up in front of you. Substitute usually gets rid of Robin's Levin Sword game, so that's out of the question.

Marth/Lucina: Your usual rushdown game. It's always hard to get rid of them, especially with counters.

Sheik: Almost as annoying as Greninja. Needles go through Arcfire and are quite spammable, not to mention if Robin's at a range she'll attempt to chip you with them, forcing Robin to use an offensive game using the Levin Sword. One problem: Her air game's better than yours. Once she grabs more or less it'll be a DThrow -> UAir combo. Seen it on plenty of Sheiks, so kinda hard for Robin here unless he can somehow work around Sheik's superior air game and her fast ground game.

Sonic: WORST. MATCH-UP. EVER. He's fast as heck and he'll rushdown Robin in a second, so not much Robin can do here. More or less I'd think it'd be Grab->UThrow->Spring->UAir for all the damage. It's ridiculous.

Palutena: Another bad Match-up. Reflect Barrier prevents Robin from utilizing Thunder/Elthunder/Arcthunder/Thoron without hitting himself and Auto-Reticle spam is something that you can't really take care of aside from rolling out of the way. Her air game isn't better than the Levin Sword, at least. The only problem I see is approaching in the first place without getting grabbed or whacked by Palutena. She's just bad for Robin in general.

D

Deleted member

I can easily say Little Mac can counter Robin.
Little Mac's clear weakness is attacking in the air; he's a crap aerial fighter. However, Robin has trouble bringing him airborne to really take advantage of the weakness. Thunder doesn't really help since Little Mac can rush in on Robin and use moves like Jolt Haymaker and whatnot.

Perhaps rushing characters like Little Mac will give Robin trouble.

Doroco

Smash Cadet
i have a lot of trouble while fighting people with low lag arials like mario. also some really fast characters give me trouble but i feel that can be fixed with practice, where as low lag arials are just really really hard

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
Because as far as I see it, nearly every match I run into IT'S LITTLE MAC. I'm getting tired of him a bunch, considering his notorious edge guarding game and the fact he's just plain hard to even hurt with Levin Sword.

HE EVEN DODGED THORON WITH A DUCK FOR ****'S SAKE.

Not to mention his power is ridiculous and it's extremely hard for Robin to even hurt him outside of shield grabs.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
To have a fighting chance against LM, prediction and baiting is key. Getting him in the air is also pretty important too.

Here's a good example:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
To have a fighting chance against LM, prediction and baiting is key. Getting him in the air is also pretty important too.

Here's a good example:
Shameless self-promotion.

From the looks of it, Robin isn't the most suited character for fighting Little Mac, though at the very least he/she does have some tools that can be used to gain the upper hand (Arcfire and Elthunder stand out as useful utilities against Little Mac). The thing about Little Mac is that, while he's a terror on the ground and can decimate Robin given the chance, he's practically dead if you can just send him a ways off the stage, so perhaps grabbing him and throwing him off or just tricking him into using his side special near the edge of the stage would be good approaches.

Loki

Smash Apprentice
Shameless self-promotion.

From the looks of it, Robin isn't the most suited character for fighting Little Mac, though at the very least he/she does have some tools that can be used to gain the upper hand (Arcfire and Elthunder stand out as useful utilities against Little Mac). The thing about Little Mac is that, while he's a terror on the ground and can decimate Robin given the chance, he's practically dead if you can just send him a ways off the stage, so perhaps grabbing him and throwing him off or just tricking him into using his side special near the edge of the stage would be good approaches.
That aint so easy. While playing versus Macs, I noticed their Ftilts and Fsmashes tend to push Robin enough to avoid being grabbed out of shield. Also, dash and pivot grabs arent recomendable as we know, Mac has a very strong superiority on the gound, as well as his speed makes it insanely hard.

My best suggestion for Mac is to play safe and try to punish whats punisheable. I dare say Dtilt might be a good option to stop Mac because it is Robin's quickest and most spammeable normal.

Also, that vid showcased what I said about Elthunder VS Mac. Once in the air, Mac has little to no options against a well timed Elthunder. If he airdodges, he will still eat it because of how nerfect airdodges are once you touch the ground. He also cant do anything to cancel it... maybe counter, but countering in the air against a projectile might not be advisable because of very likely punishments.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if it's a bad matchup, but i've had difficulty with Pikachu

His neutral B negates Thunder charging, he's fast and somewhat hard to hit as well

Deviljho

Smash Journeyman
I have tons of difficulty with Rosalina n Luma, Lil Mac, and Greninja...

Top Bottom