• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who are your mains and secondaries?

BKTang'

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Konjiki-Jizo
3DS FC
1950-9517-4990
Main : :4palutena:
I like her playstyle a lot, even the default one with Reflect and Counter (I know Super Speed is amazing but hey we can't use that on For Glory mode). Good combos after D-throw, good kill moves.

Secondaries : :4shulk: :4jigglypuff:
Oh the Monado arts, it's as if you have five characters in one with the stats changes! And the range, the range, it's such a pain!
And Jiggs because aerial juggling + Rest.

Trying to learn : :4megaman: :4robinf: :4lucina::4pacman:

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
Main = Character you dedicate the most time to learning and training.

You literally can only have one. By saying you have multiple mains you realistically have none.

Raijinken

Smash Master
As much as I wanted to call Robin my main, I'm going to stick with Marth for now since he actually has a way to deal with rushdown characters.

Secondaries include Ness, Captain Falcon, Robin, Shulk, and Falco for now.

Main = Character you dedicate the most time to learning and training.

You literally can only have one. By saying you have multiple mains you realistically have none.
So you're saying that if I alternate every single fight between three different characters equally, and play for a hypothetical 3000 hours on each, I have no main?

Last edited:

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
As much as I wanted to call Robin my main, I'm going to stick with Marth for now since he actually has a way to deal with rushdown characters.

Secondaries include Ness, Captain Falcon, Robin, Shulk, and Falco for now.

So you're saying that if I alternate every single fight between three different characters equally, and play for a hypothetical 3000 hours on each, I have no main?
Yep. Because a main is defined as the character you spend the majority of your time with. Even if the time is equal then there is no main.

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
Greninja is my number 1 by far. My secondaries don't even compare but it's fox, then Kirby

Raijinken

Smash Master
Yep. Because a main is defined as the character you spend the majority of your time with. Even if the time is equal then there is no main.
Welp, time to go remove all my mains from my avatar block, then.

But really. Multi-maining is not unheard of, and being textbooky about the definition won't change that about anyone. I practice multiple characters extensively in case I encounter playstyles that one can't handle (case in point: I main Robin on local, but Marth on wifi, and use Shulk against rushdown characters). If that tells you I have no main, so be it, but flexibility is superior to specialization.

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
Welp, time to go remove all my mains from my avatar block, then.

But really. Multi-maining is not unheard of, and being textbooky about the definition won't change that about anyone. I practice multiple characters extensively in case I encounter playstyles that one can't handle (case in point: I main Robin on local, but Marth on wifi, and use Shulk against rushdown characters). If that tells you I have no main, so be it, but flexibility is superior to specialization.

I agree. Thats why I just say I have No main. Because I play many of the characters frequently.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
"Main" is defined as "the most important." Technically speaking, it is possible for more than one thing to be the most important. If you have three kids, you wouldn't pick one as the most important and just shove the other two to the side.

If people want to have multiple mains, let them, it isn't hurting anything. There is no need to shove opinions onto others.

Personally, I like to play as the entire roster when I can, I never like to leave anyone out. The only character I never play much is the Wii Fit Trainer, but that's mostly because her moveset is the only one that doesn't work for me at all. The talking doesn't help much either.

To please the competitive blokes, my "main" would probably be Olimar, since I do the best with him statistically.

My overly large list of mains, or to be politically correct, my favorite characters. In no specific order:
:4pacman::4gaw::4duckhunt::4olimar::4ness::4dedede::4kirby::4metaknight::4falcon::4link::4shulk::4robinf::4palutena:

Secondaries, which hopefully won't get criticized for being too many...
:4rob::4megaman::4zss::4samus::4littlemac::4diddy::4wendy::4dk::4ganondorf::4zelda::4sheik::4pit::4darkpit:
These also tend to shift around as I end up liking other characters more.​

Special notice to my lost main, Snake. :snake: Probably the only character that I "properly" mained.​

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
Main: Female Robin
Secondaries: Lucina, Link (Skyloft), Shulk, Wii Fit Trainer, Ike (Chrom), Megaman, Palutena (Black) and Mewtwo.

I used to main Pit in Brawl but he's so different this time... and his sound effects do not give me the impression I'm doing damage.

Last edited:

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
Main: Female Robin
Secondaries: Lucina, Link (Skyloft), Shulk, Wii Fit Trainer, Ike (Chrom), Megaman, Palutena (Black) and Mewtwo.

I used to main Pit in Brawl but he's so different this time... and his sound effects do not give me the impression I'm doing damage.
You manied pit in brawl? I commend you for that. I feel he couldn't kill practically at all and just had outstanding survivability.

Murrayy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Murray97
Main : Lucina

Secondaries : Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Fox

I want to learn Robin and maybe Peach but I'm waiting to get a gamecube adapter for Peach.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Mains::4megaman::4gaw::4samus:

Secondaries::4ganondorf::4rob::4sonic:

Learning:4shulk:

And for fun :4robinm::4roy::4dedede:

Mains that I drop::4yoshi::4dedede:

I used to main dedede and Yoshi but Yoshi feels like a free win. And dedede I just stopped playing as.

Mains I wanted to learn before the game but I feel they have been nerf hard::4metaknight:

Last edited:

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
Main: :4palutena:

Secondary: :4charizard::4zelda:

Might drop Zelda and use her casually.. Kinda want to pick up a character that has more combo potential since Charizard, Palutena, and Zelda has so few options compared to other characters.

On the side note... I'm really losing my touch with Palutena. I find myself struggling more than I should be after converting to the Wii U version.. Probably gotta practice a bit more.. or maybe the cold weather is getting to me. <.<

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Main: :4ganondorf:

Secondary: :4ganondorf: and :4wario2:

Learning: :4ganondorf:

Counterpick: :4ganondorf:

Just-Gonna-Kick-Ass-Pick: :4ganondorf:

Honorable Mentions: :4ganondorf:

Niner

Smash Cadet
Mains: :4rob: Mind games with the laser and gyro are fun. Plus my friend who I have a hard time consistently beating hates him.
:rosalina: Luma lol

Secondaries::4jigglypuff::4ganondorf::4robinf:
For fun::4falcon::4lucina::4zelda::4zss::4metaknight::4shulk:

Hartenberg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hartenberg
3DS FC
1220-8573-2488
My main was :4falcon: since the 64 games, all the way up to Smash 3ds. But I actually do better/have more fun playing as :4dedede:. So I've switched mains to him.

Some secondaries are :4falcon::4dk::4luigi: and :4wiifit:. I have a pretty good grasp on their strengths and weaknesses. So I do pretty well with them online. But I'm not nearly as good with them as I am with :4dedede:.

Last edited:

phoenixairs

Smash Rookie
Main
:4tlink: if my life depended on one match...

Favorite
:4robinf:highest playtime, but too many weaknesses or I'm not good enough yet

Secondaries
:4zss:feels fluid, looks great
:rosalina:lots of unlocked potential to be realized

For Fun
:4lucina::4myfriends::4zelda::4pikachu:all from my favorite franchises

Da Man

Smash Lord
NNID
Tendoman77
Mains: :4mario::4ness::4charizard:

Secondary: :4link::4falcon::4marth::4luigi:

Honorable Mentions (or Thrids): :4wario2::4ganondorf::4yoshi: :4drmario:

Be cool if the Smash emotes had all alt colors aswell rather than just the default one.

Last edited:

Locke17

Smash Rookie
Main: :4myfriends:(most successful in for glory), :4samus:

Secondaries: :4falcon::4zss::4ness:(odd since Ness is my main in every other game)

Testing::4greninja:(he feels weird for me but I really want to get good with him)

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I'd like to see a poll for this sort of topic to see which characters are most popular amongst this board. It'd be interesting.

John Sorci

Smash Rookie
NNID
johnsorci
I'm having so much fun playing so many characters in this new game but I definitely have my favorites.

My top two are:

Yoshi
Mario

Secondaries:

Pikachu
Fox

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
For now I'll say Pacman since I'm using him in a tournament on Friday. Pit and Yoshi are definately in the running though. And Villager is going to be a secondary for sure.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Supreme Mains: :4jigglypuff::4ness::4duckhunt:
Mains: :rosalina::4villager::4luigi::4wiifit::4gaw:
Secondaries/Picking Up (due to playing as them in conquest in For Glory): :4yoshi::4pikachu:

Last edited:

PimpCode

Smash Rookie
Main so far is; Diddy kong, Megaman, Captain Falcon.
Second; Ike & Bowser Jr. (That tongue lick attack, lol)

I find myself to struggle a lot with Little Mac so I need to practice him a lot more before I can put him in my own tier list, haha!

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
Keeping Ike as my main since I've played him since day one of Brawl. Still deciding on secondaries. I sort of like Shulk, Wii Fit Trainer, and a couple others.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Mains: :rosalina::4pit::4darkpit::4rob:*spot reserved for Rayman*
Secondaries: :4robinm::4robinf::4megaman::4lucina::4shulk::4sonic::4palutena::4zelda::4peach:

Want to Main but can't get good at: :4iggy::4wiifit::4metaknight::4falcon::4duckhunt::4falco:

Would not touch with 50 foot pole::4sheik:(Never liked how she plays)
:4villager:(Hate this guy and his stupid smug face with a passion)
:4diddy:(Not sure why. Probably same as Villager)
:4littlemac:(Can't get behind his poopy aerials)
:4jigglypuff:(Ugh......)

Richtea007

Smash Cadet
NNID
Richtea87
3DS FC
0903-2753-0592
Main : Mario :)

Secondaries: Bowser , Charizard , and Little Mac

Top Bottom