• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whistle to D-Air spike?

TheOriginalSmasher

Smash Ace
I'm fairly new to Olimar, and I've only been testing this on CPU's, and it seems to work amazingly.

When you go to spike someone, whistle, (for the super armor) then use your second jump and dair to spike.

Useless? Y/N? (lock this if this is in the wrong spot, or just stupid.)

Since we can use anything immediatly after Whistle, Which includes ur second jump, I thought this was useful.

Excellence

Smash Champion
So you're saying I should Jump + Whistle at the same time, or Jump then Whistle, then double jump, or Jump, Whistle + Double Jump, then DAir? I don't really like it the way you're putting this either way because I don't think Olimar should ever really pursue his opponents offstage unless he is sure that he can get the KO. Even then, I'd rather take my chances with surprise FAir or for opponents try to recover to the ledge from up high you can run toward the ledge and use Tether which will actually slide you on to the ledge allowing you to ledge guard and throw out a fast hitbox.

By looking at the title, I thought you were going to advise Whistling when your opponent goes to spike YOU (the Olimar) then double jump + DAir of our own to spike them which works as a decent mixup against someone like Marth or Donkey Kong.

TheOriginalSmasher

Smash Ace
So you're saying I should Jump + Whistle at the same time, or Jump then Whistle, then double jump, or Jump, Whistle + Double Jump, then DAir? I don't really like it the way you're putting this either way because I don't think Olimar should ever really pursue his opponents offstage unless he is sure that he can get the KO. Even then, I'd rather take my chances with surprise FAir or for opponents try to recover to the ledge from up high you can run toward the ledge and use Tether which will actually slide you on to the ledge allowing you to ledge guard and throw out a fast hitbox.

By looking at the title, I thought you were going to advise Whistling when your opponent goes to spike YOU (the Olimar) then double jump + DAir of our own to spike them which works as a decent mixup against someone like Marth or Donkey Kong.
Jump off stage: Whistle > dub jump > dair.

or

Jump off stage: dub jump > Whistle > dair.

Either can work, but the jumping before the whistle is more difficult, due to fast falling.

Asa

Smash Hero
just spike them

there's no need for the whistle

but ya don't do that much cuz it's too risky

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
cpus arent always the best method to confirm whether or not a combo works. Typically cpus tend to jump towards the stage n do other things in a very predictable manner-- something a actual thinking opponent probably wont do

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
The benefit of whistling before a spike is that it gives you a way to hold the control stick down without fast falling, so that when you hit down on the c-stick for the dair, you don't fast fall it. Sometimes if I'm going for a spike, and I don't want to be limited to only being able to spike without fast falling during the first half of the jump (before the peak), I'll throw a whistle out a bit in advance, and the dair won't make Olimar fast fall. Not saying it isn't risky, though. But you can't toss every somewhat-risky option aside. So it's not a bad idea, Original.

Edit: Get a name change lol

wwwilliam0024

Smash Journeyman
Its not useless, i mean, maybe its a thing i wouldnt do, but im sure to test it out, imagine this example:

He says to whistle after the first jump.

Imagine you throw a marth of stage, you know marths are hard opponents, and if you try to gimp them they will most likely punish you.......everytime..... so lets experiment a bit, Jump whistle his punishment then punish him, his aerials leave a decent amount of lag so youll be able to hit them, unless he grabs on to the ledge.

An even more risky moment:

OMFG meta knight is off the stage, going to him will surely cause an Up B or some sort of gayness from him >.> but im almost sure youll get Up-b'd.
OK you jump, Whistle his Up-b (meta knight doesnt grab to the edge if he hits something, hit lag stops him or something, so he will have to do the shuttle loop complete, then you dair him.

I think this would be awesome to pull off. IT IS RISKY, but without risk there is no adaptation, or how ever you call it in english...

And if your opponent has more than 90% and you miss the spike with the spikes Missed hit, he will surely die, that fail-spike hit is awesome and powerful, i sometimes prefer the spike to hit it not spiking :p

:)

IcyLight

Smash Lord
the only application i can find this useful while not being risky is while you yourself are recovering, jump whistle their edge guard and then spike

Top Bottom