• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
As for the moves themselves, I honestly had a hard time thinking up a Down B as well. I fell back on the idea that she'd work better airborne and so gave her a move that lets her take to the sky without having to do a standard jump; that way she'd go slightly higher than normal but still have her Tropical-Freeze style Heli-Jump free, allowing her to reach heights and still have aerial moves to spare.
Sort of like PM Charizard. I could see that. Maybe it would be chargable to give her more height the longer you charge it, also like PM Charizard.

I also think the Cat O' Nine Tails attack that Diddy Kong Diddy Kong suggested could work; though, I can also see it working like Luigi Cyclone; it could be a weak multihit attack with the same benefit of giving Dixie height as you mash the B Button. It would be a decent punish on the ground, popping opponents up into the air for followups. Mac mains would HATE this character.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's funny I always viewed Dixie as less agile than Diddy but far stronger. The way she picked up barrels with her hair seemingly with no effort always gave me that impression.
Her throws should be strong but doubt she would be physically stronger than Diddy. He atleast carries the barrels and canon balls himself with his arms. That should mean he should be stronger in his physical attacks than Dixie.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Well, both Kong’s are able to bonk humanoid Krokodiles in one hit, so strength should not be significantly different.

But where Diddy is agile and nimble, I see Dixie as a light-weight grappler character with a floaty, yet good air game.

Her Up B could work similar to DK‘s (I mean, spinning Kong always seemed to be inspired by Dixie in the first place)

I‘d love for her to have a Command Grab using her hair, throwing opponents away like Barrels in DKC, transforming them into anprojectile of sorts.

Neutral B can be her bouncy Bubblegum gun, a fast and weak projectile.

Down B...well, that one‘s a bit tricky, in my opinion.
You can always have her ground pound using her hair, but that seems to be the easy way out.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Well, both Kong’s are able to bonk humanoid Krokodiles in one hit, so strength should not be significantly different.

But where Diddy is agile and nimble, I see Dixie as a light-weight grappler character with a floaty, yet good air game.

Her Up B could work similar to DK‘s (I mean, spinning Kong always seemed to be inspired by Dixie in the first place)

I‘d love for her to have a Command Grab using her hair, throwing opponents away like Barrels in DKC, transforming them into anprojectile of sorts.

Neutral B can be her bouncy Bubblegum gun, a fast and weak projectile.

Down B...well, that one‘s a bit tricky, in my opinion.
You can always have her ground pound using her hair, but that seems to be the easy way out.
I think having her down b being her guitar would be fun, letting you send out shock waves, almost like DK's final smash but obviously not as strong lol. I've also seen some suggest she use bubblegum, dropping it on the ground and trapping opponents as they get stuck to it.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
While her punches and kicks would be anyone's guess, I'm confident Dixie's hair attacks--and not just the hair throws--would rival DK in terms of strength. Long hair is heavy after all, and if Dixie can use it to bang into the ground, smack enemies and lift crates/barrels like it's nothing, her ponytail must be strong.

I can picture her weighing slightly more than Diddy thanks to the ponytail as well. Fallspeed won't be an issue, cuz in Smash 4 at least, DK definitely weighs more than Diddy but Diddy falls faster for some reason.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Just double dipped DKC TF.

Man I love that Game so much...plus letting the big N know DKC is still sought after was a reason for me to purchase it again as well
(Plus our girl in glorious 1080p)

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I'll probably double dip when I see a preowned copy at Gamestop. That way, I don't spend too much money on it. I like the idea of a portable version, and the faster load times are better for replaying it in the future. I don't mind buying it again; TF is such a beautiful and well-designed game that it's worth it for me. Admittedly, I bought DKC2 and 3 a second time on the Wii VC just so I didn't have to break out my SNES every time I wanted to replay them.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I bought DKCTF day one too, loved the game on WiiU and personally I think it's the best DKC game in the series!

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Her throws should be strong but doubt she would be physically stronger than Diddy. He atleast carries the barrels and canon balls himself with his arms. That should mean he should be stronger in his physical attacks than Dixie.
I look at it like this. Dixie's hair is stronger than Diddy's limbs and tail. And don't we all imagine the majority of Dixie's moves to be hair based?

Edit: Oh basically what Birthnote said.

Last edited:

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
You know, I've only played Donkey Kong Country Returns. But, I've seen people do movesets for her. So, I'll see what I can do!

I feel like all of her Smash Attacks could be the same as Diddy Kong's.

A-A-A - Same as Diddy Kong's, except she hits with her ponytail
Side Tilt - A whip with her ponytail
Up Tilt - Swings her ponytail above her

That's literally all I can do for now. I'm planning on getting Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for my Wii U, so maybe then I'll be able to think of something better. Also, add me to the supporters, please.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Nintendo released a vid on who's gonna be at the Smash Invitational!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouWuzQb9vNg
Personally I only remember ZeRo so I'm not exactly hyped about the contestants, but I am looking forward to this event. June 12th is certainly not a long wait now, and I really wanna see what type of Smash this Switch game's gonna be; I'm guessing it's an iterative sequel, like what Mario Galaxy 2 and Splatoon 2 are to their predecessors but we shall soon see.

With Tropical Freeze out I wanted to share some vids about it. One's a GameXplain vid talking about UK sales:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-8lOJVWsaU
And the other addresses its level design, although it's actually a year old:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqHcE6B4OP4
Honestly, I'm not double-dipping with Tropical Freeze; the only reason why is because I still play it on my Wii U along with Smash and Rayman Legends on the weekends. I'm not irked about the price or Funky Mode but I personally have no need to buy it again. I do have a coworker who bought it for Switch and is enjoying the **** out of it, which warms my heart cuz the game's brand new to him.

Also, welcome S SEGAGameBoy to the Barrel! If you ever finish that moveset feel free to share and it'll go straight to the OP!

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Nintendo released a vid on who's gonna be at the Smash Invitational!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouWuzQb9vNg
Personally I only remember ZeRo so I'm not exactly hyped about the contestants, but I am looking forward to this event. June 12th is certainly not a long wait now, and I really wanna see what type of Smash this Switch game's gonna be; I'm guessing it's an iterative sequel, like what Mario Galaxy 2 and Splatoon 2 are to their predecessors but we shall soon see.

With Tropical Freeze out I wanted to share some vids about it. One's a GameXplain vid talking about UK sales:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-8lOJVWsaU
And the other addresses its level design, although it's actually a year old:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqHcE6B4OP4
Honestly, I'm not double-dipping with Tropical Freeze; the only reason why is because I still play it on my Wii U along with Smash and Rayman Legends on the weekends. I'm not irked about the price or Funky Mode but I personally have no need to buy it again. I do have a coworker who bought it for Switch and is enjoying the **** out of it, which warms my heart cuz the game's brand new to him.

Also, welcome S SEGAGameBoy to the Barrel! If you ever finish that moveset feel free to share and it'll go straight to the OP!
I'm with you on double dipping, I don't need to pay full price for a game I already own that's exactly the same minus a new mode. And I don't wanna ditch my wii u until Xenoblade X gets ported, even then it still plays wii games so why not keep it.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I know a lot of people complained about the game because it's full price. But honestly I don't care, I bought it nonetheless. I'm not a rich guy or something like that :facepalm: but I sold my WiiU in early 2015 and it's been a long time since I played it. I don't want to support Nintendo's price policy but I want to support the DK franchise and want more DK games in the future. Fortunately, it seems like the game is doing very well, especially for a port:-)

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I know a lot of people complained about the game because it's full price. But honestly I don't care, I bought it nonetheless. I'm not a rich guy or something like that :facepalm: but I sold my WiiU in early 2015 and it's been a long time since I played it. I don't want to support Nintendo's price policy but I want to support the DK franchise and want more DK games in the future. Fortunately, it seems like the game is doing very well, especially for a port:-)
I can see why Wii U owners would be cautious but as someone who skipped the console this game is easily worth the cost to me.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Topic: Do you think portion of the interview plays into Dixie Kong's exclusion in Smash 4?:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...super-smash-bros-diaries.aspx?PostPageIndex=4

"Allow me to explain a bit about clone type fighters.

In the beginning, I didn’t plan to make any of them as separate character variations (clones), but rather as color variations like Alph or Little Mac. This was even if we were going to use different voices for them. However, any character that gained some uniqueness through their balancing needed to be separated so their results and statistics could be counted properly. It wouldn’t have been fair to have the results counted together even though their strengths differ between the variations.

Lucina was the first to be split off; this is because we made Marth’s moves more standard so he could be easy to handle by novice players.

Dr. Mario already had a clear uniqueness, so by letting this character throw the fireball in his Dr. Mario costume or by cutting out his clear uniqueness that was established in Super Smash Bros. Melee, we could anger fans. So we added uniqueness to him with a stat-boost mechanic and split him off as a separate character.

Dark Pit has exactly the same stats as Pit, so I first planned to handle him as a color variation. However, it would have made for a very strange setting for Black Pit to be using the Three Sacred Treasures, so we gave him a staff. One of the designers had also made the Electroshock Arm, so this was also another reason to make him a separate playable character.

In the end, what was needed for each of these changes was to reduce the work required to balance the game. Hence all these characters were adjusted relative to their clone.

For example, Marth and Lucina would only be tested against each other until they were roughly equal and in balance. For all other fighters, we take our results after fighting them against several dozen other characters. In fact, we set out on the premise that we would not include clone characters with this work."

Could Sakurai intentionally be avoiding adding clone newcomers to prioritize every unique character in Smash Switch?

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Guess what, everyone. Honest Trailers did a vid on the DK series. Pretty funny IMO.

Topic: Do you think portion of the interview plays into Dixie Kong's exclusion in Smash 4?:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...super-smash-bros-diaries.aspx?PostPageIndex=4

"Allow me to explain a bit about clone type fighters.

In the beginning, I didn’t plan to make any of them as separate character variations (clones), but rather as color variations like Alph or Little Mac. This was even if we were going to use different voices for them. However, any character that gained some uniqueness through their balancing needed to be separated so their results and statistics could be counted properly. It wouldn’t have been fair to have the results counted together even though their strengths differ between the variations.

Lucina was the first to be split off; this is because we made Marth’s moves more standard so he could be easy to handle by novice players.

Dr. Mario already had a clear uniqueness, so by letting this character throw the fireball in his Dr. Mario costume or by cutting out his clear uniqueness that was established in Super Smash Bros. Melee, we could anger fans. So we added uniqueness to him with a stat-boost mechanic and split him off as a separate character.

Dark Pit has exactly the same stats as Pit, so I first planned to handle him as a color variation. However, it would have made for a very strange setting for Black Pit to be using the Three Sacred Treasures, so we gave him a staff. One of the designers had also made the Electroshock Arm, so this was also another reason to make him a separate playable character.

In the end, what was needed for each of these changes was to reduce the work required to balance the game. Hence all these characters were adjusted relative to their clone.

For example, Marth and Lucina would only be tested against each other until they were roughly equal and in balance. For all other fighters, we take our results after fighting them against several dozen other characters. In fact, we set out on the premise that we would not include clone characters with this work."

Could Sakurai intentionally be avoiding adding clone newcomers to prioritize every unique character in Smash Switch?
I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at TBH. Are you saying she wasn't in because she'd be a clone? Cuz if so I gotta agree with SnowBound and ask what makes you sure she would be one? If anything they had a great chance to go the alt skin lroute like with Alph, He Fit and Robin since Diddy's pink color references Dixie; obviously the differences that's guaranteed to be there (dash attack) would've caused them to take the Lucina/ Dark Pit route and make Dixie grow out of Diddy's colorswap, but that didn't happen.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Do I have to say it again? Anyone who thinks Dixie would be a clone hasn't played a game with her.
In fairness even in Tropical Freeze a lot of her moveset appears locked to Hard mode (or Multiplayer, I guess). I went through the entire game initially without seeing her pound the ground with her hair, or use her bubblegum gun.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I made a dixie moveset a while back, let me see if i can find it.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Anyone watch Philip Defranco? He gave a nice shoutout to that DK Honest Game Trailer and also praised Tropical Freeze, which he enjoys. That was a nice surprise, plus he's got a wide enough audience that maybe some people will go buy it based on his praise.

I made a dixie moveset a while back, let me see if i can find it.
I'll put it in the OP when you do!

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Honestly, I was a tad annoyed at that Honest Trailer ripping on DK64, but it was good.
Yeah, DK64 hate seems to be the "cool" thing on the internet these days. Sure, it wasn't perfect, but I 100%ed it again only like 5-6 years ago and still enjoyed it. I guess I have more patience for collect-a-thons than a lot of people.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So it seems that my moveset was on my old laptop which is dead. After I go to the gym tomorrow I will remake it. I do love Dixie and dk content.

Also I feel if Dixie / TF got a stage it would be frozen fruits. I don’t know why but I feel it fits?

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
So it seems that my moveset was on my old laptop which is dead. After I go to the gym tomorrow I will remake it. I do love Dixie and dk content.

Also I feel if Dixie / TF got a stage it would be frozen fruits. I don’t know why but I feel it fits?
Could be; I'm more leaning towards Homecoming Hijinx, but tbh it would offer little more than the Jungle Hijinx stage with an icy aesthetic. I'd like to see something that simultaneously represents DK in general but is still unique to TF.

Last edited:

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Hey I'm new here, but I've been a lurker for a little while!

Really hoping Dixie gets in this time. It's been long overdue for the DK series to get some love in Smash!

And to add to the stage discussion: if we can't get a silhouette stage (which would be my first choice, but I don't know how feasible it is), then maybe Grassland Groove would be a good choice.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I would love one of these levels to be stages in smash: Punch Bowl, Wing Ding, Homecoming Hijinx, Scorch'n'Torch.
There is so much potential, I just wish they will not make a stage based on the first level of the game (they only put mangrove cove music in smash wiiU)

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
I'M happy and proud...to.. well... tell you that i want DIXIE and she is in my top wishlist..
but ...don't tell K.ROOL please...

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey I'm new here, but I've been a lurker for a little while!

Really hoping Dixie gets in this time. It's been long overdue for the DK series to get some love in Smash!

And to add to the stage discussion: if we can't get a silhouette stage (which would be my first choice, but I don't know how feasible it is), then maybe Grassland Groove would be a good choice.
Welcome, SeashoreWar! You're now on the support list, and thanks for making your very first post on this thread!

I've wanted a Silhouette stage since DKCR. It seems like such a cool concept and I would love to blast people out of the ring on literally any of them. Cliffside Slide would be epic.
I would love one of these levels to be stages in smash: Punch Bowl, Wing Ding, Homecoming Hijinx, Scorch'n'Torch.
There is so much potential, I just wish they will not make a stage based on the first level of the game (they only put mangrove cove music in smash wiiU)
You took the words RIGHT outta my mouth. I'm tired of the "DK gets Jungle Level"/ first level thing they've been going with. What's the point of showcasing the 1st level of a game you're featuring if the player's gonna get there as soon as they start the actual game? I would love for them to be bold enough to showcase a stage from later on in the game, and honestly Frozen Frenzy or Music Madness would be good choices as well.

EDIT: Maxoxpower Maxoxpower welcome to the Barrel!

Last edited:

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
You took the words RIGHT outta my mouth. I'm tired of the "DK gets Jungle Level"/ first level thing they've been going with. What's the point of showcasing the 1st level of a game you're featuring if the player's gonna get there as soon as they start the actual game? I would love for them to be bold enough to showcase a stage from later on in the game, and honestly Frozen Frenzy or Music Madness would be good choices as well.
Yeah! There's so much more to the DK series than "DK lives in the jungle, so we have to make jungle themed stage"!!!
And I was really glad to see bramble blast making it to smash bros brawl but unfortunately they didn't bother to go any deeper for smash bros wii u as we only got more DK jungle hijinx music. I mean I really love the original DKC theme, but there are so many excellent songs to choose from, especially in DKC2 and DKCTF.
I loved music madness in returns, one of my favorite levels and music from that game and frozen frenzy was amazing as well in tropical freeze, my favorite part is when the music of "fear factory" starts off near the end of the track!

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
E3 is almost there and after all those "retro studios is developing star fox racing" rumors, I'm not so sure about Dixie or K.Rool getting in anymore....the leaker of that star fox rumor also said the things about Pokemon let's go Pikachu and Evee and that seems to be true, so I think, because he mentioned spyro and crash bandicoot joining smash, I don't think that dixie or k.rool getting in because no leak mentions them! Today I read something on nintendolife.com about Ice climbers, Ridley and Simon Belmont (from the Castlevania series) also being in the game as playable characters. I'm really worried now that we end up getting nothing, no Dixie kong, no k.rool and no DK game and that we have to wait again for ten years to see a proper DK game....at least we're getting the dk rabbids dlc next month which looks amazing though.
What do you think???

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
E3 is almost there and after all those "retro studios is developing star fox racing" rumors, I'm not so sure about Dixie or K.Rool getting in anymore....the leaker of that star fox rumor also said the things about Pokemon let's go Pikachu and Evee and that seems to be true, so I think, because he mentioned spyro and crash bandicoot joining smash, I don't think that dixie or k.rool getting in because no leak mentions them! Today I read something on nintendolife.com about Ice climbers, Ridley and Simon Belmont (from the Castlevania series) also being in the game as playable characters. I'm really worried now that we end up getting nothing, no Dixie kong, no k.rool and no DK game and that we have to wait again for ten years to see a proper DK game....at least we're getting the dk rabbids dlc next month which looks amazing though.
What do you think???
While I think the rumors look pretty legit, it doesn't necessarily count out Dixie and K. Rool if they are legit; they just might not be revealed at E3. Keep in mind that they stated the Ballot will be used to influence future games, so K. Rool should have been heavily considered if his presence in the Ballot was as big as most people believe. As for Dixie, I don't believe the leakers stated that Simon, Ridley, and Ice Climbers would be all there is to show; Dixie could still be there too in the main trailer if they do a multiple character reveal like Brawl's E3 2006 trailer or Melee's debut trailer. Also, if she ends up as a semi-clone (preferably not, but w/e), she would very likely not be shown off at E3 anyway. Another possibility could be that they reveal her and K. Rool in a separate trailer down the road.

However, I'm staying cautiously optimistic as I always have been, since I've been down this road many times. I remember the Direct that revealed Little Mac; most people thought Dixie would be revealed alongside Diddy in that Direct to promote the release of the NA version of Tropical Freeze. I also remember the "Tower of Smash" leak that stated Wolf, Ridley, Dixie, and Ice Climbers would be in the Wii U version and added later to the 3DS version as DLC.

Last edited:

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
While I think the rumors look pretty legit, it doesn't necessarily count out Dixie and K. Rool if they are legit; they just might not be revealed at E3. Keep in mind that they stated the Ballot will be used to influence future games, so K. Rool should have been heavily considered if his presence in the Ballot was as big as most people believe. As for Dixie, I don't believe the leakers stated that Simon, Ridley, and Ice Climbers would be all there is to show; Dixie could still be there too in the main trailer if they do a multiple character reveal like Brawl's E3 2006 trailer or Melee's debut trailer. Also, if she ends up as a semi-clone (preferably not, but w/e), she would very likely not be shown off at E3 anyway. Another possibility could be that they reveal her and K. Rool in a separate trailer down the road.

However, I'm staying cautiously optimistic as I always have been, since I've been down this road many times. I remember the Direct that revealed Little Mac; most people thought Dixie would be revealed alongside Diddy in that Direct to promote the release of the NA version of Tropical Freeze. I also remember the "Tower of Smash" leak that stated Wolf, Ridley, Dixie, and Ice Climbers would be in the Wii U version and added later to the 3DS version as DLC.
I'm not up to speed on the leaks, but I agree. It doesn't mean we won't get DK reveals some time later if they don't show up at e3.

I'm always little skeptic about how much DK stuff will get into Smash, but we've gotten a lot of DK content lately. New Donk City in Odyssey. DLC in Mario + Rabbids. The Tropical Freeze port. And I'm not sure if it's been confirmed, but DK is apparently going to be a big part of the Universal Studios park. It really seems like Nintendo is putting more importance into DK and hopefully that translates into Smash!

And a new game soon!

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Unrelated to Smash, but a new Rabbids trailer just came out and it features Rabbid Cranky! Maybe there's a possibility we'll see Rabbid Diddy and Dixie?

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
Unrelated to Smash, but a new Rabbids trailer just came out and it features Rabbid Cranky! Maybe there's a possibility we'll see Rabbid Diddy and Dixie?

As much as I would love that, one of the developers said they went with a Rabbid Cranky because they thought a Rabbid Diddy and/or Dixie would've been predictable.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
As much as I would love that, one of the developers said they went with a Rabbid Cranky because they thought a Rabbid Diddy and/or Dixie would've been predictable.
Man that's a bummer. I think I would've preferred the predictable in this instance!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Hey thought you guys might want to know too, posted this in the K. Rool thread, but Mario Rabbids has the first appearance of Enguarde since 2007!

Top Bottom