• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which to use? (Falco, Marth, Falcon)

Liewyel

Smash Apprentice
These so far are my three "mains" currently. I started with Marth, then moved onto Falco because I saw some Bombsoldier matches (figure that), and now I'm playing Falcon a lot I've found. Now I'm about equal skill level for all of them, as to say whenever I play people with those three characters, I get similar results. I was wondering which one I should try to focus on, because it seems pretty clear that my game isn't progressing when trying to use all three of them.

Which character, or characters should I keep for general usage? Like, who has the best matchups against the majority of the characters, and who should I use to counter certain characters? (I have a Peach that I can use, but she's not on the same level as the others)

SirNegroJuice

Smash Journeyman
Falco and Marth fair well against practically all characters, with a few exceptions. Falcon does okay. This is more about what you want though. If you like having range and priority, go with Marth. If you like technique, go with Falco. And if you like manly sound effects, go with Falcon. Even more importantly, play with who you have fun with.

Liewyel

Smash Apprentice
Mm, I see, that's like exactly what I was debating in my head, I love playing Falco because of his fast gameplay that requires such precise movements, and the combos that can be pulled off from his speed.

But I also love how Marth's range, and incredible grabs, and he was my first main...

And Falcon just came into the scene for me, with the Knee of course....

I might just end up using all three, as for tourney play, I'd start with Falcon, then depending on the matchup (if I lost) then I would pull out Falco or Marth. =/

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I suggest using Marth against the floaty characters and Captain Falcon against the ones that fall fast, like shiek, fox, etc.

Those are my 3 mains except Fox instead of falco

pdk

Smash Lord
rotate it around, each of them does pretty well

Garath331

Smash Apprentice
Keep all three. As soon as you specialize, you have a weakness. You sacrifice being great with one character, but I think it's worth it to have others to fall back on.

Of course, if at any point you feel that you are more comfortable or much better with one character, run with it.

go2chutch

Smash Cadet
i main falcon and i find myself satisfied. personaly i find myself more agressive than most players and i honestly dont prefer to be space efficent with marth and disliked alot of the possible gimps on falco. falcon gets gimped a lot however so im not sure on that. its your choice overall, in terms of better matchups i prefer falco, he can play the same for most matchups though the combos change alittle, just pick your favorite or something, or call yourself various

SirNegroJuice

Smash Journeyman
I think Falcon would be a better choice for mid-fallers rather than fast-fallers. Remember that the two best characters in the game are fast-fallers and they counter Falcon. Marth and Falco would be good here of course. But I still highly recommend using whoever you have the most fun with, even if that's all 26 characters and a hacked Giza Bowser.

Hotshot

Smash Rookie
Use whoever suits the current situation/matchup best. For example, if you are against Samus and you know the player will use lots of missiles and the charge beam, Falco would do best. If against Bowser, Captain Falcon's speed would give you an edge.

Ultimately it's up to you who you do best overall with, and you should focus on that character as your main. In my opinion, just use/rotate all three depending on the situation.

Zone

Smash Champion
Well this is how i pick em If i had only those 3 to chose:
Marth vs Fox, Falco, Captain Falcon, Peach, Samus, Jigglypuff
Captain FAlcon vs Ganondorf, Shiek, Captain Falcon, Peach(watch for loldownsmash)
Falco vs Fox bah pretty much anyone except Marth.

The thing with Captain Falcon vs Fox or Falco is, 1-hit usually means big combo. So you either need big combos. Or be prepared to take big combos.

but meh, remember if u beat your opponent they get to counterpick so expect the worse match ups also.

Liewyel

Smash Apprentice
Mm, sounds like I should keep all three. Works for me, =P. Though I tend to have trouble with IC and Peach with all my characters... How should I pick against those? Currently I Falcon against Peaches and I Marth against IC's because of the large hitbox...

Aiko

Smash Champion
I think you should rotate them to learn the separate skills. Falco will teach you combos, good L-cancelling, timing and how to make the best of poor recoverys. Marth will teach you spacing, throwing tactics, general mindgames. Falcon will be good for doing less obvious combos, off stage comboing but most importantly, SHOWING ME YOUR MOVES!

StellaNova

Smash Journeyman
It's not **** when the "victim" enjoys it. BTW u shouldn't talk about that cus it can be a sensitive subject for some people and its just not appropriate for this site.

Kada

Smash Journeyman
It's rather odd, I actually main all three of those characters (and Gannondorf. Some people only have 1 main... I have 4.) And I really think that you should keep all of them. I'm actually finding myself gravitating towards Falco more recently, while Marth is still my most efficient character. Marth has a really smooth playstyle, which takes a lot of mental skill to play, while playing Falco is just a great time, since he's so fast and combo-y. I just took up Falcon a few weeks ago, he's got a great style as well, once you get the hang of him.

Having all 3 of them would be a huge advantage for you, Falco or Falcon for fighting fastfallers, Marth for floaties, and your best of the three for matchups that you just don't like.

Just my 2 cents.

Solid Cake

Smash Cadet
Play all of them, they all have different strengths and weaknesses. Use them in a rotation.
I think its good to have more than one character. Good Luck.

Nick Nasty

Smash Journeyman
The most important thing is to be flexible. You need to be able to adapt to your opponent, so having Marth, Falco and Falcon to rely on will give you more options than just maining one character. However, eventually you will propably perfer one character of the three because of your playing style and will be better with that character. IMO, Marth is an excellent choice because of his DDing, grab range, disjointed hitbox and WDing. He has a lot going for him, but by no means am I saying that he is the best out of the three. Again, it's all up to you.

MooseMan

Smash Rookie
This may seem harsh, but in my personal opinion, Falcon sucks...

Falco is the way to go. At least that's who I play. Marth and Falco are both pretty fast,

Marth being the fastest, but once you can SHL and Pillar with Falco, things basically fall into

place. I find that Marth is only good becauase he can combo very well, and of course his

counter. Falcon is fast but he isn't very strong. He's also very obscure compared to the

other characters.

spoonyd

Smash Apprentice
Learning multiple characters who do different things will broaden your knowledge, tech skill, and mindgames. Also if you know how to use...say....Falco, when you go up against one and decide to use Marth (cause you're the nuts at chaingrabbing let's say) you'll have some confidence because of your knowledge of Falco's pros and cons.

Someone already mentioned this in a way but something else to add....Fox does pretty much ALL of those things and learning the top tier in its entirety can't be a waste of time. If you can do things like SHDL or multishine with Fox, other characters just seem easier to pick up cause your hands really get faster. The rest is just learning the nuances (grab range, combos, wavedash, matchups) and physics of the character. Not that any of that is easy of course. :) Fox still carries the most weight in terms of tech skill and learning more of that can only help your game.

In my opinion if you truly wanna master the game you hafta learn one or two characters REALLY well and know their matchups against the rest of the field cold. Like if you really like Marth and wanna take him as far as you can that's great but I'd advise learning a counter character for Sheik. And if you've played a fair amount of Sheik in your day, you'll know how much she hates shine combos and have some counter measures ready depending on your character.

Ken knows Marth's matchups cold but he still has Fox as a backup. Seems like a good plan but that's just an example.

Top Bottom