• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which second non-Echo Square Enix character do you want?

As the topic title says...

• Terra Branford (Final Fantasy VI)

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII)

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • Neku Sakuraba (The World Ends With You)

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • 2B (NieR Automata)

Votes: 10 4.4%
  • Geno (Super Mario RPG)

Votes: 116 51.1%
  • Sora (Kingdom Hearts; technically also property of Disney)

Votes: 22 9.7%
  • Erdrick (Dragon Quest III)

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Claude C. Kenny (Star Ocean 2)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eight (Dragon Quest VIII)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Welch Vineyard (Star Ocean; entire series)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Other (specify who)

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • Crono (Chrono Trigger)

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • Agnès Oblige (Bravely Default)

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Lenneth (Valkyrie Profile)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Noctis (Final Fantasy XV)

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I included Sora just in case. Geno is debatable as to whether he’d be a Square rep or Mario rep, but since Square produced SMRPG, I included him too.

As for me? Neku, without a doubt. I loved The World Ends With You. It made use of the DS’s many functionalities and it’s getting a definitive edition Switch port pretty soon

also I included Star Ocean cause dammit that series needs more love :c

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Choosed Geno because I haven't played most of the games listed. Though I'd like Sora if only because I know people who'd love to see him, and I am tempted to play TWEWY one day due to all the nice things I heard about the game.

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
I voted for Geno
But other good choices i would like are Neku Sakuraba,Kefka from FFVI,Gilgamesh from FFV,Vivi from FFIX,Yangus from DragonQuest VIII

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I want Terra. Badly. She'd perfectly complement Cloud. She's female, a magic-user, represents the Nintendo side of FF, and is a much more colorful design.

Last edited:

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
Lara Croft. It's not even a competition.

She's infinitely more iconic then most existing third party smashers, and she's the most iconic female game character to ever exist. Her moveset is a nice middle ground between the gritty gunplay of Snake and the acrobatic-ness of ZS Samus.

Is it possible to edit polls? Could we possibly get her name added to it?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Geno is 100% owned by Square. Sora is 100% owned by Disney.

That said, I like Geno and Sora, but Slime(Dragon Quest) is my favorite pick. Though Sephiroth I like too, but his disjointed hitbox would cause more backstabbing than Dimentio could ever muster.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I went with Geno. I'm not personally invested in Square characters, so I looked for who has the most significant ties to Nintendo. Being a (sort-of) Mario character, the answer was obvious. His design and story are also really interesting, and I believe he has the tools to inspire a pretty cool and unique moveset.

If I had to go with someone else, perhaps a Slime from Dragon Quest. I know hardly anything about the franchise, but I know that Slime is an incredibly iconic video game character.

Last edited:

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I went with Geno. That being said, if I was given the choice of having a FF rep before Cloud was announced, I would have gone with Mog since moogles are one of the series mascot.

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
I'll go with Geno since I think he has a chance but if I want a Final Fantasy character I'd go with Sorceress Edea from Final Fantasy 8 she's a very powerful villain thats just as iconic as Sephiroth or Kefka but very underrated I'm not sure if I should call her iconic but she has a very good character design that people recognize when mentioning Final Fantasy 8 and it would be nice to see how she'll play in Smash bros.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I picked Geno

There are other characters from SE that I like, but at this point I've been supporting Geno for 12 years now. And we had to sit through arguments from people saying "Square would never get involved" and "Cloud would get in first"

Well, you know what? Square is involved now and you got Cloud first.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
I think Geno is the most likely and certainly the most requested, but if I could pick another it would be Chrono. He's the face of one of the most iconic RPGs ever and the product of a dream team of developers at the top of their game coming together to create a masterpiece.

With that said, I think the character would add very little to the roster in terms of moveset potential, sadly. There's no shortage of spiky haired sword fighters, and Shulk already has a time travel gimmick going, so I don't see Chrono as very likely or even interesting. I just want him, haha.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Terra. She's my favorite Final Fantasy protagonist in the series, and her game represents the pinnacle of where Final Fantasy was at its greatest during the Nintendo era. She'd be a great foil to Cloud, considering that she's the main character of the last FF game on Nintendo while Cloud was the first main character of a FF game on a non-Nintendo platform. She's also quite popular among the FF fanbase and older gamers as well, so there's a lot of appeal behind her if she were to ever be included.

In terms of playstyles, while Cloud is more of an in-your-face, hard-hitting swordsmen who could unleash powerful attacks when maxing his Limit Gauge, Terra could be potentially be more of a floaty, long-range spell-caster, a full-on mage if you will. Instead of a Limit Gauge, Terra would have a Trance Gauge, where she would momentarily transform into her Esper form, where her some of her attributes would be buffed (i.e. run and air speed), and even some of her neutrals changed to reflect her more feral nature (instead of using a sword in some of her moves in her human form, she'd use her claws in her Esper form). You wouldn't be able to charge it yourself, mind you.

I'd be hyped as **** for her inclusion, she's quite probably my number one pick for a 3rd party newcomer, not just a Square Enix or even Final Fantasy newcomer.

Last edited:

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
I tossed in my vote for Geno but otherwise I would want to see Terra in for her history with Nintendo. I also want Sora in more than either of them if I'm being completely honest but I don't fully count him as a Square rep.

Last edited:

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
I was going to vote for Terra, but I had to vote Other for my girl Tifa. Tifa is practically built for Smash Bros and since we currently have a FFVII rep in Smash there's no rule that says we couldn't have another one. Tifa being a newcomer also wouldn't lessen another SE character's chances considering roster slots are a myth and we don't know who's in the base roster, as well as Sakurai's plans for DLC.

But I can say that characters like Geno and Terra are more likely because of Sakurai considered these two in the past. Terra has Nintendo history and Geno has a Mii Costume which could be used for developing Geno as an actual fighter in Ultimate.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I was going to vote for Sora... but then I saw 2B in the list...

*The "I'm Sorry, Little One" Thanos Meme*

*votes for 2B*

Last edited:

NotAMoth

Smash Rookie
Voted Geno but would love some kind of Dragon Quest rep, I think i'd be pretty okay with any square enix character

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I mainly want Geno for the fans.

There isn't really a Square Enix rep that I really care about otherwise. (not that I don't like some final fantasy characters, but none of them would be even remotely likely)

D

Deleted member

I personally would want either 2B or Agnes, although their chances are pretty slim, especially the former.
I'm not a huge fan of Geno but I feel like he's the most likely of the SE reps.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
This isn't a "who's most likely" thread. Jesus, just vote for who you want.

D

Deleted member

I voted for Terra without a second thought.
I love Final Fantasy VI, I love Terra, and seeing her in Smash would make me one of the happiest men alive. Oh, and I also want her because she would represent the Nintendo era of FF and she would be more unique, but more so my personal connection with her is why I want her.

Reading that Sakurai once considered her before going with Cloud does give me some hope.
Crono and Sephiroth would be pretty neat too.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Geno is 100% owned by Square. Sora is 100% owned by Disney.

That said, I like Geno and Sora, but Slime(Dragon Quest) is my favorite pick. Though Sephiroth I like too, but his disjointed hitbox would cause more backstabbing than Dimentio could ever muster.
If they could make Slime work (and I believe they could, I just dont understand DQ), then I think this is where I would have to vote as well.
Simply out of how prominent the series is.

Selfishly I would want Sora, because with Sora and Scorpion, it really would be an even more epic cross-over series (both Sora and Scorpion are from games with a large amount of crossovers).

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Square enix is a tricky company when it to characters ownerships but of course If had to go 2nd to 5th square enix rep I would go like this:
2nd rep: Geno (SMRPG) [Nintendo/Squaresoft]
3rd rep: CATS (Zero wing) [Taito/Toaplan] also the first villain 3rd party retro rep
4th rep: Erdrick (Dragon quest) [Enix]
5th rep: Bub (Bubble bobble) [Taito]
As you see I want each part of Square-Enix to be represented

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Can poll choices be rearranged? If so, can a mod place Crono, Lenneth and Agnès before Other? Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
With rumors of an Octopath traveler sequel and Bravely teasing on top of the TWEWY Remake, Squeenix are definitely still playing ball with Nintendo. To promote their new DQ, I could see a classic DQ character like Loto/Erdrick or Slime being used.

Though in my heart of hearts, I really want Neku Sakuraba.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I picked Neku, of course, but if I had to choose between Bravely Default and Octopath Traveller, Octopath Traveller wins easily. I despise the super-deformed chibi art style of Bravely Default.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
3 Reasons I Want Geno in Smash:
1st. Sakurai HIMSELF wanted to put him in Brawl
2nd. Some of the DLC Mii Costumes from SSB4(Inkling, King K. Rool) became Playable Fighters, who's to say that Geno won't too?!
3rd. He was Highly Requested by the Fans

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
3 Reasons I Want Geno in Smash:
1st. Sakurai HIMSELF wanted to put him in Brawl
2nd. Some of the DLC Mii Costumes from SSB4(Inkling, King K. Rool) became Playable Fighters, who's to say that Geno won't too?!
3rd. He was Highly Requested by the Fans
To be quite honest, that sounds more like evidence for his inclusion as opposed to actual reasons you like Geno...

Standlord

Smash Cadet
Hard to choose between Terra and Geno, I think both would be awesome additions, but I voted Terra just because she is less popular.

Then Crono or any DQ hero would be interesting too (not slime pls). Agnès could be very fun from what I've been told.

startmirca

Smash Rookie
I would’ve gone with Noctis since I have a few reasons for wanting him.

1. I like the character.
2. Awesome and unique moveset potential (Warp-strikes, Magic Flask, Armiger!)
3. Tekken 7 has shown how awesome his moveset can be.
4. Even though I wanted him already, ever since FFXV Pocket Edition HD was confirmed for Nintendo Switch, he’s now the latest FF protagonist who appeared in Nintendo consoles (putting an end to the “must have appeared on Nintendo” fan-made rule disqualified him in other’s eyes, despite Sakurai not stating said rule officially).

However, since he’s not on this poll, I voted for Sora instead.

Top Bottom