• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Mode Would You Add or Take Away from Smash 4?

mario15

Smash Cadet
NNID
kylemshipley
3DS FC
3351-4555-2812
Smash 4 added many things to the series, particularly modes, some that were loved, others that were hated, but some from the previous installments were cut, so if you could add one mode to smash 4, and take one away, which ones would you choose?

David Wonn

Smash Ace
I'd add either Melee's Adventure mode or Brawl's online co-op modes and remove the ability to play international players online so that I could minimize input lag.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Pretty obvious that I will take Smash tour out in the Wii U version. Don't get me wrong though, the mode was fun to play as a party game. But I really hope that Smash Wii U can just add Adventure story mode, and it will be perfect. I also miss Melee's Break the Targets for every character and the bonus titles you get in Single player mode, it was fun to read those.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There are many modes that I wish were in Smash 4, such as Break the Targets and Board the Platforms.
I would add a Melee Adventure Mode. It was amazing at the time; while some levels were just glorified battles (like the Kirby level; you fight against Kirby and then a do a Multi-Man battle against copied Kirbys), it was still stunning to go through the Mushroom Kingdom and beating up Goombas and going through an F-Zero race track. If we had something like that for each series, I would be pretty damn excited to try it out.

If I had to remove a mode, it would be Smash Tour. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think it adds anything to the game at all.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'd probably add an equipment shop. It's so annoying how random the equipment drops are, and a lot of them are just ordinary equipment (no bonus effects at all).

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Add Break the Targets and a Custom Move shop, remove Smash Tour (duh).

Last edited:

TheArcfire

Smash Rookie
NNID
ProfesorSanchez
Add a ranked mode. Why doesn't that exist. Also make it so you can only play with people under a certain ping

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
You know, Break the Targets was fun and all, but there's one reason above all else that I want it back.

As for what I would remove myself, I'd probably get rid of Smash Run/Tour and replace them with some kind of Subspace Emissary type deal. Seeing more cutscenes like tha with character interaction on the Wii U in HD? Yes, please.

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
Add melee's adventure mode. I want it SOOOOO bad in smash 4. If I could play mario-esque levels with my main that would be so much fun.

I'd also love tournament mode that's 2 stock and atleast 5 minutes. I'd even more love tourney mode that's best of 3, 2 stock, 5 minutes. The current 2 stock 3 minute format is AWFUL. Half the games go to time, it's so stupid. And I wish they could implement some sort of tourney mode ranking system that seeded everyone each tournament. It's stupid when you run into good players in round one.

And of course take away smash tour. What an awful, awful flop of a game mode. It's embarrassing to have that garbage on the main menu.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Equipment shop. Nothing to take away from Smash 4 at this point. Bar specific Challenges, but the modes themselves are overall fine.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I'd add a Melee styled adventure mode, that unlocks all customs for your character on completion. That way there'd more incentive to play single player and it actually rewards you well for winning instead of giving you a ton of equipment and customs for other characters you might not have wanted. If I have to remove one mode, then street smash from the 3DS version, I don't think most people even know it exists.:laugh:

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Add: Offline Tourney Mode, Subspace-esque Mode, Break The Targets and Classic back to what they were and Board the Platforms.

Remove: Smash Tour.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Good bye Target Blast, hello Target Test. It'd be even better if you could create a Target Test and share it online.

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
As many people above me:
  • OUT: Smash Tour. Seriously, I can see how it isn't completely worthless and it could be fun but an entire icon on the main menu? Hell no. It's an incredibly minor feature and personally I find it super frustrating. And I think the majority of people in the world could agree with me.
  • IN: Story Mode (like Subspace Emissary). That thing was the s*** in Brawl. With all the characters we have in this game and the potential relationships between them it could be so interesting. And it also could be a good way to collect the impossible-to-obtain customs.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I would like Break the Targets and Board the Platforms back as they were in 64/Melee, but that really isn't feasible at this point. In terms of roster size, Brawl and especially Sm4sh absolutely tower over 64 and Melee, with SSB4 having 58 characters. If they were to actually make character specific courses again, that would amount to 116 stages they'd need to develop. I can't really blame them for not doing those anymore. Hell, even Melee was when they started to scale back on these modes to accommodate the increased roster size, hence the removal of Board the Platforms.

But anyways, I'd scrap Smash Tour and put in an improved version of Smash Run in the Wii U game.

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
Subspace Emissary. I have so many fond memories of getting bodied by Tabuu, I really do.

And also, possibly implement a system of For Glory where you could actually play decent players. Perhaps players who are around you so there is less lag and players of a certain skill level. I'm not sure how they would do this but it could be interesting

Harmonious

Smash Cadet
Target Blast is terrible. Why wouldn't I just play Angry Birds for free? That at least has SOME skill to it. Target blast needs to be replaced by the old Break the Targets. Also, Brawl's story mode was freaking awesome, and is what made the game IMO. Instead, we got smash tour >.>

ShulkMonadoBoi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Luigi_The_Jumper
3DS FC
1289-9400-8598
Cut: Smash Tour ( do I really have to explain? )
Wii U's classic mode ( a.k.a the 8-player mess )

Add: Brawl / Melee like adventure mode
N64's classic mode ( best classic mode imo. )

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
Single Player Mode:

Cut out Smash Tour, add Adventure Mode

Cut out Target Blast, add Break the Targets (Smash 64/Melee or Brawl) and possibly Board the Platforms

Cut out Smash 4 version of Classic Mode (copy Master Core), add Smash 64/Melee/Brawl version of Classic Mode (paste Master Core)

Misc other than Single Player Mode:

Cut out Masterpiece, add Offline Tournament Mode

Last edited:

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Get rid of Smash Run and Tour, and bring back Break the Targets, Adventure Mode, Melee's Tournament Mode (I haven't tried the online one in SSB4, so I can't say anything about that.), different / special modes that Melee had, and probably another Subspace sequel from Brawl.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
  • I won't remove anything other than Smash Tour.
  • I think Target Blast and Break the Targets can co-exist.
  • I would want something similar to Melee's adventure mode.
  • Smash Run should have been on the Wii U as well.
  • And lastly, Board the Platforms

To answer the OP's question (take one and remove one)...
  • Remove Smash Tour and add an Melee-like Adventure mode.

:231:

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
If I had to make a trade, I would probably remove Smash Tour (granted, I haven't actually tried it out yet, so I'm probably ill-suited to make the call/decision -.-) and add either a proper Target Test, revive Board the Platforms, or a proper Classic Mode.. I would've removed Masterpieces, but apparently the amount of data that they take up probably wouldn't be equivalent to an entire mode addition..maybe. >_>

MAIN ADDITIONS:
Ideally, I think that Target Blast, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U's "pseudo-Classic Mode" (and even the path-based version of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS) and Smash Tour should stay as options (they seem neat in concept), although we still need the additions of proper Target Test(s), a proper Classic Mode, Board the Platforms, Race to the Finish, enhanced Smash Run (for the home console version), a Super Smash Bros. Melee-esque Adventure Mode (if not a Subspace Emissary equivalent), All-Star Versus Mode, in-game Shops for prizes using collected Coins, an offline Tournament/Tourney mode (although this feature is really low priority for me since most tournaments don't or can't even use the Tournament Mode properly), and maybe Snag the Trophies.

Elaboration on Classic Mode: the pre-SSB4 version should definitely take priority and be included as the main option (with tweaks to optimize foe randomization and stage randomization, also including at least 1 instance of Target Test, Board the Platforms, Race to the Finish, and maybe Snag the Trophies), although the SSB4-3DS version and the SSB4-Wii U version of Classic Mode should both be retained as a second and third option, respectively.
TL;DR, Classic Mode options:
1 - the pre-SSB4 version
2 - the SSB4-WiiU version
3 - the SSB4-3DS version

Elaboration on Adventure Mode:
I would settle for a Melee-esque Adventure Mode (maybe with a few cutscenes thrown in) since the scale of Subspace Emissary would properly require a good chunk of the game budget, and it seems like we would have to use the Super Smash Bros. 4 promotional character trailers/videos as a trade-off for the inclusion of a "Subspace Emissary 2" (and I'm rather fond of the character trailers..).

Elaboration on In-Game Shops for Prizes (at least as an alternative to the current methods):
As for Super Smash Bros. 4's current state, there should be a way (like an in-game Shop; players need to put all of those amassed Coins to use!) to reliably obtain Custom Moves as they are crucial for competitive purposes.. Also, Equipment and maybe Trophies could use an in-game Shop.. Actually, screw it, make everything that is reliant on (pseudo-)random-number generation (RNG/PRNG) have an in-game Shop; solely-RNG-restricted prizes can be the worst.. At least with an in-game Shop, you would still have to invest legitimate effort in unlocking everything, even if just replaying Modes repeatedly to acquire Coins for use. Sheesh.

Elaboration on the Removal of Masterpieces:
Still, I would easily excise Masterpieces if it meant more content for a Super Smash Bros. game (such as alternate costumes - granted, the graphic designers probably aren't the same people who worked on programming the inclusion of the Masterpieces, but I would think that shifting a few hue sliders would be much more feasible than hassling to emulate and code time limits on other games, especially given that you might as well put the Masterpiece demonstrations on the Nintendo eShop, and given that there are a slew of easy alternate costumes that are still missing, like Mewtwo's green Shiny coloration..).

I would like Break the Targets and Board the Platforms back as they were in 64/Melee, but that really isn't feasible at this point. In terms of roster size, Brawl and especially Sm4sh absolutely tower over 64 and Melee, with SSB4 having 58 characters. If they were to actually make character specific courses again, that would amount to 116 stages they'd need to develop. I can't really blame them for not doing those anymore. Hell, even Melee was when they started to scale back on these modes to accommodate the increased roster size, hence the removal of Board the Platforms.

But anyways, I'd scrap Smash Tour and put in an improved version of Smash Run in the Wii U game.
Elaboration on Target Test:
Very good point regarding the sheer number of Target Test stages and Platform-Boarding stages required as the character roster size increases.. Granted, I don't even play the Bonus Stages that much, although they are still a nice diversion at times. I would compromise with having 5 stages for each mode being applied universally for all characters (5 for Target Test, 5 for Board the Platforms), essentially mimicking the Super Smash Bros. Brawl implementation.

Single Player Mode:

Cut out Smash Tour, add Adventure Mode

Cut out Target Blast, add Break the Targets (Smash 64/Melee or Brawl) and possibly Board the Platforms

Cut out Smash 4 version of Classic Mode (copy Master Core), add Smash 64/Melee/Brawl version of Classic Mode (paste Master Core)

Misc other than Single Player Mode:

Cut out Masterpiece, add Offline Tournament Mode
LOL at the Master Core copying-and-pasting.. :laugh: But yeah, it/he should definitely be retained for Classic Mode and/or Adventure Mode.

----

Elaboration on All-Star Versus Mode and improving Smash Run:
Regarding extracting mode features, the mini-"All-Star Versus Mode" from the last round of Smash Tour (or so I've heard) should be made into a full-fledged mode/feature/option of its own. Also, online-enabled Smash Run would be nice, and the ability to alter some settings for Smash Run (mainly the final round, if I recall correctly - like what you can do with Kirby: Air Ride) would also be nice.

Last edited:

GuffMcGufferson

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3869-7120-5996
(THIS IS FOR WII U) I would definitely take out Target Blast and Smash Tour and replace them with the good ol' Target Test and maybe either bring in Smash Run from the 3DS version or a Smash 4 version of Boss Battles, where you fight all of the major stage bosses.
Also, I would be fine either way if the Target Test had a level for each character (like 64 and Melee) or just a level all characters play on (like Brawl).

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
don't know if this counts, but I wish characters were harder to unlock. In brawl, it was cool to see someone with
jigglypuff, toon link, or wolf and say "Wow! You don't see those characters everyday!", or "Man, it took me days
to unlock wolf! Not TOO hard like in melee though. That was horrible, i STILL don't have mewtwo ):

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
Smash tour is wack,bring in a Melee style adventure mode and I'm golden.

Scurry059

Smash Cadet
Out- smash tour (why is this mode even in the game?)
In- something similar to subspace emissary or adventure mode

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
why would you cut anything out? if you had the option to add why remove things in the process? just because you dont like say smash tour, some people might. ( I like it in group settings) just add things like subspace 2 and an equipment shop. We live in an age where disk space isnt an issue anymore, the more variety the better.

Last edited:

Ikenna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IkennaSmash
I'd add Team Stocks for the With Anyone modes, For Fun and For Glory. I'd also make changes to online Tourney (Not the ones that are made by players) so that people can save replays.

MrSaek

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrSaek
I would remove Smash Tour, I honestly would rather have the Melee Classic mode over that.

Smash Tour is so bland and boring and drawn out, It's not even fun at all. It usually gets boring in like 5 minutes for most people and it should be removed since it is a waste of space and resources.

Top Bottom