• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Melee character should I play as "practice" for Shulk in Ultimate?

GambitGGuy

Smash Rookie
So, I plan on maining Shulk when Smash Ultimate comes out, so I want to practice for him, but the only Smash game I currently own is Melee. Does anyone have advice on what character to play as so I can "practice" for playing Shulk in Ultimate? Any suggestion helps.

I'M REALLY-no-n-no! I'm not gonna make that joke!...

FEELING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Melee and Ultimate are two different games. Better to start from scratch if you want a feel for the new engine, unless you still don’t know the fundamentals.

Aímerose

Smash Rookie
So, I plan on maining Shulk when Smash Ultimate comes out, so I want to practice for him, but the only Smash game I currently own is Melee. Does anyone have advice on what character to play as so I can "practice" for playing Shulk in Ultimate? Any suggestion helps.

I'M REALLY-no-n-no! I'm not gonna make that joke!...

FEELING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I dont believe there is a way to prepare to play shulk with what melee offers

Last edited:

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
Your best bet is any sword fighter, specifically Link, Marth, or Roy. It won’t be perfect, but it’s the closest you’re gonna get.

D

Deleted member

I would have to say marth simply because Roy functions like a rushdown character (sort of) while Link relies heavily on projectiles. Marth is the closest to Shulk due to his long range, even though it won't be super helpful. Monado Arts are the most important thing in Shulk's kit and you can't really prepare to main him without practicing how to use each Art effectively. I would say just practice him when Ultimate comes out since any skills you pick up from Marth will be completely negligible except for maybe spacing with Speed Art

D

Deleted member

Who would you suggest I use instead of Shulk?
eh I think he's saying don't use Shulk because Shulk was garbage in Smash 4 but he's actually looking like he might be top-tier in Ultimate. he's a very safe pick to main

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Shulk has a bunch of large disjointed hitboxes, so you'll need to practice spacing.

:marthmelee::gawmelee:

These two might help you get in the right mindset.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Marth is the only real choice. Shulk is a bulky, slower swordsman so Young Link and G&W are poor practice (and Melee G&W is a horribly built character who wouldn't even prepare you well to play G&W). Roy in Melee is literally just worse Marth; there's no value to him. Link is a projectile heavy character in every Smash game, and Shulk doesn't do that. Honestly Melee Marth and Ultimate Shulk are still going to be worlds apart, but it's by far the closest you can do.

Top Bottom