• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which is your go to SUIT? (Samus skin preference)

Choose your armor:

• Total voters

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey

Choose Your Armor

Hello everyone, JAZZ here and Im curious to know which Samus variant is your go to when you play? Are you a classic Varia kind of player? Do you prefer the menacing Dark suit Samus look? Or do you cling to the Dark Samus TRON Legacy-esque style?

Me personally prefer the crisp sleek look of the light suit variant. It reminds me of a storm trooper in a way.

Anyway let me know which you prefer and WHY. Id love to hear what influences your decisions.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
1. Light Suit
2. Dark Suit
3. Fusion Suit

Based purely off of aesthetic appeal, nothing to do with the games they come from.

Last edited:

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Gravity
Dark Suit
Fusion

Gravity is my all time favorite. Just love the look of it...also made me feel baaaadass when acquiring it for the 1st time in SM.

Yojimbosan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yojimbosan
Pink because Super Metroid is my jam.
Then green becauseI just like the color green.
Stormtrooper Samus I think is cooler looking than Dark Samus.
But when I really can't decide I just go classic varia suit.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
I like to sort each suit to a particular custom set.

Fusion = 1232
Gravity = 2313
Prime = 3322
Metroid Green = 1132

It's kinda like I'm using different suits to deal with different opponents...and not because, y'know,

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
The green one (3rd one in the top image of the OP). Mostly because green is my favorite color and it looks good on Samus. I don't think it's from any of her games.

Looking at the other colors in the OP, the Fusion color looks nice too, so I may start playing with that one.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Im just so glad Samus doesn't have Bayonetta legs like she did in Other M

ParanoidAndroid

Smash Cadet
Fusion Suit colors. Metroid IV was the first Metroid game I beat and is my second favorite out of the franchise. I know it's been stated before, but it does feel like a missed opportunity that there are only palette swaps and not completely different looking suits. I would love to play as a non-varia suit Samus or Justin Baliey skin thank you Project M. That said her suit looks so good in HD.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Fusion Suit colors. Metroid IV was the first Metroid game I beat and is my second favorite out of the franchise. I know it's been stated before, but it does feel like a missed opportunity that there are only palette swaps and not completely different looking suits. I would love to play as a non-varia suit Samus or Justin Baliey skin thank you Project M. That said her suit looks so good in HD.
Brawl Zero Mission skin is my personal fave.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
1) Dark Samus Palette
-Because dark is badass (right?)

2) Light Suit
-Because white is for the good guys

3) Dark Suit
-Because dark is badass

4) Gravity Suit
-Because it's the only vaguely consistent suit in the series

5) NES Varia Suit (Pink)
-Because whats worse than losing to Samus? Losing to pink Samus.

6) SNES Varia Suit (Orange) (or is it NES Power armor? Or Metroid prime varia suit?)
-Because it's the default color

7) SNES Power Suit (Green)
-Because I don't want to step on Xyro's toes

8) Fusion Suit (Cyan)
-Because Cyan is a stupid color that was popular in the 90s.

Last edited:

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
1. Dark Samus suit because I think she looks scariest in that one
2. Dark Suit, the red parts of the armor and arm cannon are pretty cool
3. Gravity suit because purple

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
I use all of the colors, but mostly pink(cause there's no red) and green(cause it's shiny).

ParanoidAndroid

Smash Cadet
The green accent on the chest makes me think that is what they were evoking.
Here's what Sakurai said about the origins of the suits:

Top Picture: "And here she is in the color schemes of the Gravity Suit from Metroid Prime, Green Samus (a regular in the Smash series), the Light Suit, and Dark Samus. A total of eight colors."

Bottom Picture: "Until now, you were only able to choose from four, or sometimes five or six colors for each character. This time, though, all characters have eight colors to choose from! The first four color schemes for Samus are based off her Varia Suit, Fusion Suit, Gravity Suit from Super Metroid, and the Dark Suit."

This was the Miiverse pic of the day from September 3rd 2014.

I guess the gravity suit in Super Metroid is pinkish?

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn

Top Picture: "And here she is in the color schemes of the Gravity Suit from Metroid Prime, Green Samus (a regular in the Smash series), the Light Suit, and Dark Samus. A total of eight colors."

Bottom Picture: "Until now, you were only able to choose from four, or sometimes five or six colors for each character. This time, though, all characters have eight colors to choose from! The first four color schemes for Samus are based off her Varia Suit, Fusion Suit, Gravity Suit from Super Metroid, and the Dark Suit."

I guess so.

Fluidityt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cronot7
85% Pink Gravity (Super metroid. Never realized Varia in NES was pinkish too.)
10% Fusion
5% (when I forget to change color) Tan Varia

For endless friendlies or FG, I will cycle through colors every round, but I usually skip over purple and green

The suits have never looked green to me, always yellow. I guess super metroid gravity could be considered purple/pink, but pink is the primary color I see.

I've never played MP 2 or 3

In past games I would play the dark / blackish color Samus

Last edited:

Zekkaran

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zekkaran
3DS FC
0791-3028-9167
Usually with most of my reasons of pickin alt costumes is to make nicknames out of it

Light suit (Michael Jackson Samus)
Dark suit (Prototype Samus)
Gravity suit (just because it looked cool)

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

I guess so.
Sakurai/whoever his translator was completely derped on that. Pink is and has always supposed to be Metroid (NES) Varia Suit.

Meanwhile purple Gravity Suit (blue team palette prior to Brawl) has been a staple since Smash 64, well before Metroid Prime.

It's dumb of them, but not nearly as dumb as Sakamoto retconning the Gravity Suit entirely because purple Samus wasn't "iconic."

-

Anyway without getting any further off topic, I've always used Gravity Suit when available. I'd even go as far as to do "Teams" even in 1v1's in 64, since it wasn't a default option otherwise. Used Pink/"old" Brown if that wasn't an option/someone else was already using it.

Starting in Brawl, I kinda started shuffling between all suits aside from Green. Love all of them equally, though I guess kinda bummed that Dark Suit replaced classic Brown. Nonetheless, Prime 2 was my favorite game, so even more hype with Light Suit/Dark Samus.

Kinda wish they did add actual alts/"suits" rather than just palette swaps/recolors of the Other M model. Would kill for an actual Fusion Suit, the Prime suits reflecting different textures (and the missed opportunity with the P.E.D.), and a vanilla Power Suit, of course.

tl;dr - Gravy Suit is my "legacy" color. Default Varia has grown on me lately. Tend to stray from Light/Dark/D. Samus due to overuse.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
I like them all except green (nothing against it, just that it's plain to me and didn't originate from the actual series like the others).

If I had a top three, though, it would be:

-1. Varia Suit: It's just classic, and plus, I've taken a liking to the more "gold" tone that the colors of the armor have taken on. I also think it stands out a bit more nowadays since everyone on For Glory and such all use the others.
-2. Light Suit: What can I say? It looks very good on the Other M suit's "upgraded for Sm4sh" look. It's always been my favorite suit after the Varia Suit anyways, so it's only fitting. The Light Suit is just such a cool, unique suit.
-3. Dark Samus: For one, Dark Samus wasn't playable, so part of me using this is to make up for that, but also, the colors just look so good and give a nice little intimidating vibe, though not quite in the same vein as the Dark Suit palette. Aside from that, it just looks so cool!

Honorable mention - Gravity Suit: It just looks so good in this game! The dark purple just looks so pretty, and I always like the blue visor for alternative purposes. It melded with the transition to HD perfectly to me!

... Also, Dark Suit: I used to use it as one of my main palettes to sport in Brawl, so I felt it was enough to warrant a mention. Dark Samus and Light Suit palettes surpassed it, though.

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
1. Fusion Suit: It has pretty colors. I almost always use this.
2. Light Suit: I like the way it looks. Like she's a stormtrooper. Also, I sometimes use it on stages with darker backgrounds, for easier visibility.
3. Dark Samus: As a counter-pick palette vs dark link. I also sometimes use it on lighter stages.
4. Varia Suit: Because sometimes default is good.

I don't use the others. I've never even played a Metroid game, so I don't know anything about their canon significance. I just got the names from wiki.

Last edited:

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
1. Fusion Suit: It has pretty colors. I almost always use this.
2. Light Suit: I like the way it looks. Like she's a stormtrooper. Also, I sometimes use it on stages with darker backgrounds, for easier visibility.
3. Dark Samus: As a counter-pick palette vs dark link. I also sometimes use it on lighter stages.
4. Varia Suit: Because sometimes default is good.

I don't use the others. I've never even played a Metroid game, so I don't know anything about their canon significance. I just got the names from wiki.
-1. Fusion Suit - The result of parts of Samus' armor being surgically removed and fused with Federation technology after she was infected by an X-Parasite and then saved by a vaccination of Metroid DNA. Her armor is part of her, so that's why parts had to be surgically removed, unlike how Smash portrays it as being able to simply come off...
-2. Light Suit was given to Samus to aid her in finding the last keys to the Sky Temple on Dark Aether. Dark Aether is the dimensional parallel of Aether, and its atmosphere is corrosive. The Light Suit makes her immune to it, on top of having a significant defense boost.
-3. Dark Samus was originally Metroid Prime. After Samus defeated it, it made a last ditch effort to survive: it lashed out and stripped Samus of her Phazon Suit, reverting her back to her Gravity Suit. As Samus escaped the Impact Crater site on Tallon IV where she fought it, Dark Samus is what emerged from the remains of the place. Phazon is a highly radioactive substance, and incredibly powerful when used as a weapon. What it doesn't kill, it grotesquely mutates. Dark Samus uses Phazon based attacks, has flight, and later on becomes so strong that it can only be hurt by Phazon powered weaponry.
-4. Varia Suit is one of Samus' most basic armors, but it's actually an upgrade from her basic "Power Suit" form. It provides protection from extreme temperature climates and provides a defense boost. This is of course her iconic look as well, so typically you see her in this suit the most.

If you want to know about the others, just ask. :) Hope this helps to inform!

Last edited:

AfroGamerNinja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FluffyWarlock
When I do use Samus, I use the Dark Samus palette. Mostly since the only Metroid games I truly own are Metroid Prime Hunters and Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Squaddle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gaulderdash
Sour green apple samus, suit of the year all years

Polimario

Smash Cadet
NNID
Polimario
3DS FC
4425-1491-7986
Gravity Suit's my go-to suit, with Light and Dark suits behind.

I'm actually not a fan of the Dark Samus skin, I'd have liked it better if it was the Phazon Suit instead. Love that black with the red lights/visor.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Recently I've dropped dark samus suit as my main suit.

It's now:
Pink, Purple, White, Orange, Dark, Dark Suit, Green, Cyan

Flukey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1220-8509-1898
Fusion Suit, for project M (awesome skin) and Sm4sh
Metroid Fusion is my favorite game...and super metroid
i need no other reason to wear this suit

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I've went with Dark Suit ever since Melee, though I'd switch to a proper Phazon Suit in a heartbeat if they added it.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I may have to start using Pink suit... I keep getting Ditto matches where we both are the same color... talk about confusing.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Fusion Suit - It was love at first sight when I saw this in Brawl. The scheme is more fitting with this version of Samus' appearance.
Mass Production Type - The green color is odd since Samus suit has never been seen that color in any Metroid game.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/ChrFrameLayout.html

^^^ That gives the official name to the green suit. Just go to the underlined link. :D

MOM Samus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MOM_Samus_1
I use all suits except the green and pink ones.

Start out (for warmups) on Varia. I then go Gravity, Dark, Light, Fusion as I become more suited to the match. Once I feel like I'm at max skill, I pull out the Dark Samus suit as if Samus Aran has been corrupted by Phazon. I only play my best in that suit, so I never start off matches with it.

Then again, have been also thinking about just going full Varia because I love the look on it.

The green one's unoriginal...why not combine it with the pink to make it look like Fusion's Varia Suit?

Last edited by a moderator:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Fusion Suit - It was love at first sight when I saw this in Brawl. The scheme is more fitting with this version of Samus' appearance.
Mass Production Type - The green color is odd since Samus suit has never been seen that color in any Metroid game.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/ChrFrameLayout.html

^^^ That gives the official name to the green suit. Just go to the underlined link. :D
This is clearly a reference to the Mass Produced (or Production Model) Gundam. Thanks for the link.
Just google "量産型ガンダム"

Uffe

Smash Hero
The green one's unoriginal...why not combine it with the pink to make it look like Fusion's Varia Suit?
That would actually be really cool. I'd still end up using that one as my second choice, maybe even permanently as my first.

Last edited:
Top Bottom