• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which is better?

ChaosFalcon

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dixdix22
3DS FC
3351-4604-2698
Recently my friend has been very hostile towards the 3ds version of smash. He has been going on about how it's SO bad. Just because he has time to sit down and play the wii u version, which just has better graphics and stages. He refuses to play the 3ds version at lunch with the gaming group of our school. My thoughts are the 3ds version is better but he refuses to see any other side of the argument. My reasoning is that the 3ds version is portable and has smash run. What are others opinion on this topic? This is just supposed to be a friendly discussion, no reason for hostility.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Wii U is just better. Smash Run>Smash Tour by a long run but most players don't play either anyways.

3DS is good for playing at lunch (at school or work) or in the car when in carpool situations (or being driven by a parent). But in those scenarios it's impossible to play Wii U version

Basically the only advantage 3DS has over Wii U is more availability to play it, but when you have the option to play either (instead of one being an impossibility) Wii U is always superior.

Anyways there is never a reason to refuse or shun the 3DS version though. I'd rather play the 3DS version than not play.

Last edited:

Soul.

Both 3DS and Wii U are good. You're playing the same game on two different platforms. If you like handhelds more, go for the 3DS version. If you play with consoles more, get the Wii U version. Or you can just get both. It's up to you, really.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
3ds version plays faster.

Spirst

Why exactly is that?
It's not true at all, really. Wii U stages like FD/Omegas/BF have slightly smaller blastzones which naturally makes games go by quicker. As for game speed itself in terms of character movement, it's the same thing. Control setups for the Wii U version make varied playstyles like rushdowns easier as well. If anything, the Wii U version plays faster but not by much.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
It's not true at all, really. Wii U stages like FD/Omegas/BF have slightly smaller blastzones which naturally makes games go by quicker. As for game speed itself in terms of character movement, it's the same thing. Control setups for the Wii U version make varied playstyles like rushdowns easier as well. If anything, the Wii U version plays faster but not by much.
I wasn't talking about match length. 3ds version literally felt faster and more responsive of the two when I played.

visvim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
visvim-1893
3DS FC
1736-0405-5625
I wasn't talking about match length. 3ds version literally felt faster and more responsive of the two when I played.
Subjective vs. objective information...

Personally, I feel like if the 3DS version existed in a vacuum, it would be an incredible game, but when you have the Wii U version to compare it to, it seems lacking. Biggest advantage over the handheld is the controls/buttons (with either the GC or Pro controller) and, aesthetically, though Smash 3DS is a great looking and sounding game, it pales in comparison to what we have on the Wii U.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
They are both 60 fps and have the exact same physics code. Technically they are both exactly the same

What you're experiencing is probably the illusion from a small screen vs a big screen.

If you see a 6 foot tall guy moving at the same speed of a 4 foot guy, the 4 foot guy will look much faster yet they are moving at the exact same speed. I don't actually know if this translates to tv screens at all. Actually thinking about it I would think it would be the opposite and characters would look like they are covering more ground (and look faster)

Maybe you play on wacky stages with items on, the 3DS version has certain backgrounds and items rendered at 30 fps instead of 60, which might make the characters (which are still rendered at 60) *look* faster by comparison because in the Wii U version background and items still move at 60 fps and thus don't make that illusion of faster movement.

Anyways whatever the reason is, it's just an illusion, both versions move at the same speed.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Subjective vs. objective information...
Yeah, same as every other poster above me. Was throwing my preference out there, mate.

They are both 60 fps and have the exact same physics code. Technically they are both exactly the same

What you're experiencing is probably the illusion from a small screen vs a big screen.

If you see a 6 foot tall guy moving at the same speed of a 4 foot guy, the 4 foot guy will look much faster yet they are moving at the exact same speed. I don't actually know if this translates to tv screens at all. Actually thinking about it I would think it would be the opposite and characters would look like they are covering more ground (and look faster)

Maybe you play on wacky stages with items on, the 3DS version has certain backgrounds and items rendered at 30 fps instead of 60, which might make the characters (which are still rendered at 60) *look* faster by comparison because in the Wii U version background and items still move at 60 fps and thus don't make that illusion of faster movement.

Anyways whatever the reason is, it's just an illusion, both versions move at the same speed.
**** dude, you did not just lecture me and call me a casual. I'm deeply offended.
Seriously, you people act like I'm the only person with this belief. One version feels slower, that's my take on the subject. There's no illusion about it.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Yeah, same as every other poster above me. Was throwing my preference out there, mate.

**** dude, you did not just lecture me and call me a casual. I'm deeply offended.
Seriously, you people act like I'm the only person with this belief. One version feels slower, that's my take on the subject. There's no illusion about it.

I didn't call you anything. I mentioned theories about why you could be perceiving things to be slower. Also, get over yourself, there's nothing wrong with playing on whacky stages or playing with items on. The "competitive" way of playing isn't the "correct" way, it's just a preference.

You're the one getting offended for no reason at all. No matter how you feel about the versions the FACT is they move at the exact same speed. So if you perceive something as different it is in fact an illusion.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
I didn't call you anything. I mentioned theories about why you could be perceiving things to be slower. Also, get over yourself, there's nothing wrong with playing on whacky stages or playing with items on. The "competitive" way of playing isn't the "correct" way, it's just a preference.

You're the one getting offended for no reason at all. No matter how you feel about the versions the FACT is they move at the exact same speed. So if you perceive something as different it is in fact an illusion.
I should've added an indication that I'm in no way being completely serious. Oh well.

You're the one taking this situation way too literal. You like the wii version, good for you. I said 3ds is faster for my own reasons, a number of which could be due to a variety of factors that I couldn't control. Just take my opinion at face value for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I should've added an indication that I'm in now way being completely serious. Oh well.

You're the one taking this situation way too literal. You like the wii version, good for you. I said 3ds is faster for my own reasons, a number of which could be due to a variety of factors that I couldn't control. Just take my opinion at face value for what it's worth.
Well, honestly, I love both versions so much I bought 2 copies of each :3. (I gave my 3DS with Smash to my GF, forcing me to buy another 3DS Smash and unlock everyone again, that's how much I like it).

D

Deleted member 269706

Neither is better, it's all about preference. I personally enjoy the Wii U version more because...
  • Better graphics
  • Better & more stages
  • Controller options
  • More music
  • More options/accessability
The 3DS version is still an amazing rendition of the game nonetheless, but it just doesn't have what I'm looking for. I do love that I can take it wherever, but that's really the only thing I see that the Wii U doesn't have.

Pippu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaffDurtum
3DS FC
4468-1508-6788
I prefer wiiu over 3ds only because if the control stick. The 3ds stick isnt as responsive as the master race gc controller and I end up getting really frustrated at times using the 3ds. Seriously try dash dancing with a 3ds, you literally cant in a comfortable position.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Recently my friend has been very hostile towards the 3ds version of smash. He has been going on about how it's SO bad. Just because he has time to sit down and play the wii u version, which just has better graphics and stages. He refuses to play the 3ds version at lunch with the gaming group of our school. My thoughts are the 3ds version is better but he refuses to see any other side of the argument. My reasoning is that the 3ds version is portable and has smash run. What are others opinion on this topic? This is just supposed to be a friendly discussion, no reason for hostility.
Both version are great in their own aspect, Wii U is more crisp-looking and with access to bigger/precise controllers, while 3ds is portable and doesn't require too much time to setup. Your friend sounds a bit elitist, but that is just his opinion. It's his loss for losing out the option to play with your gaming group.

Personally, I really enjoy the 3ds' portability and also prefer to use it as a controller, but Wii U version is just a tad better due to a bigger screen.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
3ds Is Waaayyyyyyyyy better. But the wii U version is good for graphics and stages to me. However, I have to play careful on my 3ds so I don't break anything... I really need a gamecube controller adapter for my 3ds... (They DO have those. But not supported by nintendo)

Pepto_Bismol

Smash Rookie
Personally, the WiiU is much better for me just because of controller availibility, grpahics and stages. However, the 3ds version also has its perks, namely the fact that its portable and it can be set up much faster than a WiiU.

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
Sounds like you're friend is being unreasonably stubborn. While I understand why he might not like playing the 3DS version, not to play it at all during lunch hour with friends is abit much. 3DS version isn't that bad. I would always choose to play it especially when I couldn't do so until I arrived back home.

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
I don't have a Wii U so my main smash play is on the 3DS which I'm not fond off because I'm more use to a GameCube controller than the flimsy 3DS stick (which is my only complaint I have for the system).

While I think both versions of Smash is great, if I had a choice the Wii U version would be my best pick. Simply just because I have a rather hard time controlling my game with the 3DS controls and I much prefer a wired alternative like the GameCube controller.

Other than that, the game is similar in terms of likeliness but each both have their unique differences which is why I would play both if I ever had a Wii U.

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
the 3ds version has better reaction time than the wii or gamecube controller, but even if it loads and takes a long time, cramps your hands, and haves bad graphics, (Graphics don't matter. so don't complain graphic arguers) It is an amaziing game. but we have to wait until FALL to get amiibo support (except for the new 3ds)

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
I play the Wii U one mostly because I like the graphics and the Pro Controller, but I love playing the 3DS one when I'm out or for Smash Run. It doesn't matter, really. I'll definitely be getting Mewtwo and Lucas on both systems.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
3DS version allows on the go play and saves your color preferences. I found tilts easier to perform on it because of the circle pad. That's about it really.

Wii U version is superior because it has better and many more control options, smoother and crisper visuals which for people with not so perfect eyesight like me makes it easier to keep up with the action, and being on a console guarantees it will run better if there is anything intensive going on.

The Wii U version really is superior but the 3DS version has its merits as well so it should not be overlooked. 3DS also IMO has better non-competitive stages (like Corneria and Brinstar) while Wii U has better competitively viable ones (for a few cases, at least should be but currently are not because our community has become a bunch of whiny conservative ****s).

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
Wii U is generally better, but that doesn't mean the 3DS is bad at all.

Advantages Wii U has over 3DS:
- Better graphics.
- Better controller. The 3DS direction pad can be frustrating at times, and you can en dup doing the wrong moves because of it. You also don't have a C-stick (on the old 3DS). And some techniques are a lot harder to do. Perfect pivoting, for example, is easier on a GC controller.
- More competitive stages. On 3DS there's only four (Yoshi/Lumiose/FD/Battlefield). The others are debatable but most are obviously completely unbalanced.
- Most (big) tournaments use the Wii U, so it's better to practice on it.
- Less online lag. I don't know if this one is true, but it seems like it for me.
- More options in general.
- Kongo Jungle 64, best stage ever hands down.

Advantages the 3DS has over Wii U:
- Portable. This one, while it doesn't affect gameplay, is still huge. You can play at school, in the bus, in the car, in a park, whatever.
- The stages are more fun to play on. While this is not good competitively, it's nice against friends when you just want to have a good time. Magicant is totally broken, but it's still an amazing stage.

That's about it. They're both basically the same game, so the differences are not THAT big. The Wii U is the better of the two if you have the choice, but the 3DS one is still a solid game. The 3DS version might be slightly more casual-oriented than the Wii U.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
wii u. better stages and once i experienced smash 4 with better controls i could never go back.That said, 3DS is good enough for before one has acces to a wii u and it has prism tower, aren ferox, ad rainbow road.(though, it's stage select is still highly lacking and doesn't really strike a good balance between calm stages with interesting layouts vs crazy gimmicks everywhere and constant scrolling stages)

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
While the Wii U version does have more comfortable control options, better stages, Event matches, Special Orders, more challenges and HD graphics, the 3DS version is also great in its own way, like Smash Run, a mode I absolutely prefer over that ****ty Smash Tour. Just cuz it's a portable Smash Bros. game doesn't mean it sucks ****. I really enjoy playing it just as much as the Wii U version.

Honest

Banned via Warnings
I would definitely say that WiiU version is better simply because it looks better, has more viable maps and allows gamecube controllers to be used. The only reason I think 3DS version is good is because it allows you to practice while you are out and it is theoretically less expensive then the WiiU version so more people have it.

D

Deleted member

Don't we have lots of threads like this already? Well, anyway, it's up to you if you want to have both or just one out of the two. Contrary to what some people have stated here, I don't think the 3DS version is solely for casuals as Wii U also goes into that category, GameCube controllers or not (like every single Smash Bros. game). I don't really care about the graphics. They might look solid and crisp on the home console, but I don't admire that factor as much as let's say.. the other systems' fanboys do. The 3DS version looks good in its own right, and that's the version I play the most. Yes, it lacks lots of controller options, more single-player modes, and all, however, I for one have been wanting a handheld Smash Bros. game to come out for years, and it's finally here, so I'm satisfied for what it is. That's not to say the Wii U version is awful to me, because it isn't. I'm okay with that being played more competitively, actually. That's just my opinion / thoughts.

Either way, choose whatever version you'd like to play the most (or get both.. ?) and play Smash Bros..

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

they are virtually the same and the graphical difference is made up from it being portable. i think the lack of a c stick turns alot of people away considering even the new 3ds had that horrible little nub. personally i own both and i think 3ds is just a viable as wii u.

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
The WiiU one will always be better, Its easier to play. That and Smashville are the only reason its better.

Samal Lord

Smash Rookie
NNID
ScottishWalrus
3DS FC
5215-0932-4119
Wii U's better by far, but that's not to say that the 3DS version isn't good. Both are incredibly fun, it's just that Wii U has more modes, stages and has various choice in controllers. This is coming from someone who plays the 3DS version but plans on getting a Wii U.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Different strokes for different blokes as someone else said.

I don't really have a preference as I give both version's about as much attention on a regular basis. Heck sometimes I may even just boot up the 3DS version and play a couple matches there even if the Wii U version is right there for me to get on with. *shrugs* :T

Last edited:

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Both versions are great, but I easily prefer the Wii U version because it has more features. I'll only play the 3DS version depending on if I don't feel like playing the game on the Wii U.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Smash Bros. for Wii U is the superior version from a factual view.
-Better graphics
-More stages
...and more viable stages​
-More music
-Better controls (Probably the best argument here)
-Control options (Wii U Pad, Classic Controler Pro, 3DS with the game, Gamecube Controller, etc)
-An additional "Final Form" for Masterhand & Crazyhand
-More modes like;
-8 Player smash
-Master Orders
-Crazy Orders​

3DS has;
-Portability
-Smash Run being better than Wii U's Smash Tour (-though neither is being played much)

And to the people claiming that the 3DS version runs better: Nonsense.
Let's not forget it was BECAUSE of the 3DS's limitations that the Ice Climbers didn't make it back.

Last edited:

CynicalController

Smash Cadet
NNID
acetrainergaming
3DS FC
2020-0091-9961
If I owned a Wii U, I'd be playing that version over the 3DS. Except you can't carry around a Wii U wherever, making playing Smash with friends a lot easier. They're honestly equal to me.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I own both and I still like Smash 3DS more. The Wii U version has more content and shinier graphics, but musics aside the extra content is negligible.

Top Bottom