• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashes

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys,
so this may sound stupid but i use the wii mote and nunchuk to play ZSS(i also changed the settings so that when i shake the wiimote i get a smash just like the c-stick on the gamecube controller). I think I am fairly decent with it so i have kept at it. However, I know all the good players play with the gamecube controller. so i was wondering what are the pros and cons of each and if i am really at a disadvantage by using the wiimote and nunchuk. I am thinking of entering some tounaments soon and don't want to get clobbered just because one controller is better than the other. any advice would be nice.
thanks

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Gamecube: Has 2 control sticks and more buttons. That means you can use them together for things like the stutter step and hyphen smash (although these can be done with the Wiimote/nunchuk, it is MUCH harder). Otherwise, the c-stick can be used for b-sticking.

Monjula

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdrianMonjula
3DS FC
5215-1057-8129
Gamecube. Less awkwardness. C-stick. Win.

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
I held out with the Wii remote and nunckuck for about... 2 weeks. I've never actually tried Wii remote solo and don't have a classic.

Gamecube controller, hands down.

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
also Wii Remote alone is such epic fail it makes me wonder why they included it to begin with.

Zorio

Smash Rookie
Definitely the Gamecube for me - the C-stick is much better than the whole "shake to smash" thing.

Of course, the fact that I've been playing Smash with a GCN controller for 7 years might have something to do with my preference, but I really think it is the technically superior controller.

NoobCake

Smash Apprentice
Gamecube

I think the C-stick pretty much seals the deal for me, thought admittedly I haven't actually tried the other control schemes. I think they are all pretty valid.

Except Wiimote-only
I cannot fathom how you could play smash brothers like that.

Sychu

Smash Apprentice
I use the nunchuku but i think that the cube controller has a faster response to button presses since it's wired. Ima try one out next time i catch one in the wild.

Conclusively

Smash Journeyman
GameCube controller makes it easier to do quick smashes and arials. It also helps if you use characters such as Snake or Squirtle, so you can slide during an up smash.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
i think whichever controller you feel is most comfortable is the best one (assumiung you tested all of the other ones). i use the remote+nunchaku and do just fine after a week of learning it.

Sychu

Smash Apprentice
i think whichever controller you feel is most comfortable is the best one (assumiung you tested all of the other ones). i use the remote+nunchaku and do just fine after a week of learning it.
Yeah with the nunchuck you don't have to move your thumbs at all unless you wanna taunt, so its very comfortable and quick.:)

ashes

Smash Apprentice
Alright, thanks.
I will probably test out to wiimote and nunchuk in a small tounament and if it does not go well then i probably will switch. I just found that in melee i sucked cause i was not good with the gamecube contoller.

laird

Smash Apprentice
I have a couple classic controllers, and with the grip extension they feel great. However, the positions of the X and Y around the A button, compared to the classic's SNES design, along with the worse than expected build quality of the classic, makes the GCC the winner. Hopefully those two new GameCube controllers I ordered off Ebay will arrive soon :p

Zanix

Smash Cadet
I find that after playing with the mote/chuck for so long, I can't go back to the GCC. If it helps at all, I find it useful turning the control pad on the mote into a makeshift c-stick.

Antkatsu

Smash Rookie
I feel that the gamecube controller is more useful with the amount of buttons it has and the positioning of them makes it feel really comfortable to access compared to other controller styles. It's also very helpful (and may I mention easier)with boostsmashes and dlx etc.

falcoboot2

Smash Rookie
i tink if you want something new go with classic or nunchuaku, which i played but then i became a noob at brawl so i used the g-cube controller. WEST SIDDE!

harvman11

Smash Rookie
I've had brawl since the day it came out, and I've also been using the wiimote + nunchuck the whole time. After adjusting the controls a little bit I loved it, I can do anything (except taunt) without moving my thumbs/fingers, it just makes all my moves feel faster. My only problem with it is that occasionally when I try to do a shake smash (usually to do retreating fairs or such) it will register the wrong direction, but it doesn't happen often.

Maybe this is just because I never got used to the gamecube controller in the first place since I was playing smash 64 for the 8 years or so before brawl, but I can't stand the trigger buttons on the gamecube controller

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
at least some people are using the remote+nunchaku. i have nothing against the GC controller but sometimes i feel i wasted my money on my other two remote+nunchaku controllers cause all everyone wants to do lately is play brawl with the GC controller. besides other than the first week when i was learning controller i am mostly back up to my old wins...... but maybe thats cause other people haven't changed their tactics from melee to brawl other than me....

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Gamecube, theres more control. And with more buttons, and the editing of the buttons, you can have more a of a feel for the Character. On my cube controller I changed the X button from jump to attack. It makes all the difference.
But work with all of them, you might like the wii/chuck better then the cube.

Also try to find a different way to use the controller. It sounds weird, but it can really help with the personal choice. Like when I broke my right arm, I couldn't use the controller well with both hands. So I learned how to play melee with only my left hand. And it worked for the most part. I had to switch from between attacking and dodging by holding the controller differently. Sense then I prefer the cube controller more for brawl.
So just mess around and press a few buttons.

laird

Smash Apprentice
you can't play with a wireless controller at most tournaments. This is what finally made me go out and buy a couple GC controllers instead of sticking with the classic controllers. :/

Ryven

Smash Cadet
GCN controllers are love. Except for the shoulder buttons, which I john about to no end, because the lack of analog shielding means I have to either take the springs out of the controllers or push the **** things all the way in.

Waddle_Doo

Smash Cadet
Gamecube, definetly. This might be because I juse the X button to jump, or just because of many yeasrs of playing with it. But nothing else can step up to its awesomeness. :p

FlyingMudPuppy

Smash Rookie
You guys are all saying gamecube, but not pointing out exactly what makes the wii-mote so much worse... Im using the wii remote because I never had a gamecube, and am wondering what makes it so much better, and by better I mean a little more specific.

Son Reikon

Smash Rookie
I use the classic because the GC controller feels kind of big and clunky in my hands. The classic pad just seems better for me. The button sensitivity seems to help with faster reactions, especially when it comes to anything involving L or R. However, I never had a gamecube or played melee so i got the classic pad because I like the fact that its different from what the majority uses and also does not require to be attached to the wii (though a wireless GC controller can solve that issue too).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom