• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which controller will you use?

What Ganon's Up To

Smash Cadet
What sorts of problems has anybody mentioned with them?
The pro controllers don't have the GC controller's octagonal pattern around the control stick which means that it might be less precise with directional inputs from the player, which is key in a game like smash.

With enough practice it probably won't be that much of a problem though, I'll be using it for sure.

Lord_Ghirahim

Smash Cadet
GameCube. It's the only controller I've ever used to play Smash Bros. (I haven't played Smash 64 outside of emulation). However I'm considering messing with the custom control options, something I never did in Smash for Wii U. I have a Pro Controller and might try it out a bit, but I love GameCube controllers too much.

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
The pro controllers don't have the GC controller's octagonal pattern around the control stick which means that it might be less precise with directional inputs from the player, which is key in a game like smash.

With enough practice it probably won't be that much of a problem though, I'll be using it for sure.
I mean, I guess the circle gate on the left stick could make *certain* things more difficult to do, but things like, say, Fox's recovery, would actually become easier to do odd angles with because the gate isn't biased into eight directions. That seems like it would be more down to preference than a mechanical problem. I've been on the Gamecube controller for over fifteen years, personally, but I'm going to try and learn to use the pro controller instead this time around because it'll be more versatile for the console in general, and I can't really justify buying gamecube controllers for just one game anymore.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Definitely Pro Controller. It's such a well-designed and comfortable controller.

Darkbeard

Smash Apprentice
With the joycons, will shield and grab use the triggers or bumpers?
Assuming you mean you'll be using two joy cons, by default my guess is that it's probably like how it was with Smash 4 - triggers for grabs and bumpers for shields. But given that you can still customize the controls, you can switch them to whatever you're more comfortable with.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
well after trying the pro controller, joycons docked and gamecube controller... I feel most comfortable with the Gamecube controller. Looks like splurging on the adapter was what I needed.

Kairyu24

Smash Cadet
It's strange. I usually greatly enjoy using the joycon, and I have rather small hands so it usually isn't even cramped.

But I'm finding the stick a bit finnicky with using the proper direction. Part of it is adapting, but in a way even the gamepad had more smash-friendly stick. Maybe I get a adapter for my old gamecube controller, but I also might go with the pro to have it for other games. All very pricy though..

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I’ll be starting with the GameCube controller for the time being before switching to the Pro controller.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
For anyone looking to be competitive, I highly recommend the GameCube Controler, Pro Controler, or double Joycons.

I would not recommend the single Joycons or the Wii Remote with or without the Nunchuck because these just don’t have enough buttons for playing Smash at high levels.

A handheld Switch is the last thing I recommend personally. It feels weird on your hands spreading them out more than normal, and it feels weird looking down at the screen. Plus, it’s just going to make tournaments harder to run if that became a standard.

I’m sure that the 3DS and WiiU GamePad aren’t compatible with Smash Ultimate, but if they are, I wouldn’t recommend using them either.

As for me personally, I’m going to take my two Joycons and combine them into one controller. That works for me in most other Switch games, they’re still in good condition, and I have one of those holder things to make them feel like a real controller.

Last edited:

Unisex

Smash Rookie
If I could reprogram my brain, id use a procontroller. Its way more comfortable. And if you have hand issues its much less stessful. Your hands can reach everything perfectly. Plus the controllers wont be 1000dollars in a few years.

Top Bottom