• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Controller will you use?

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Somewhat. If you look at the picture however, the inputs are ripped from the Classic Controller/U Pro Controller and molded as a GCN controller. There are pictures that show this. That controller I posted a pic of has L, R, ZL and ZR buttons. It also has the same sticks from the U Pro Controller.

Classic Controller and Pro Controllers are virtually and mostly the same. It all comes down the registration of the game itself (as you implied)- however, I'm hazarding a guess the testing for the CCP and U Controller means they'll have mostly comparable controls for Smash 4.
The sticks on the Pro are very different than the ones on a Classic Controller. Totally different feel and size (which is a big factor). Don't be fooled by the similar aesthetic.

I'm just saying if you spend 50 bucks on these it won't be as good as using an officially supported and fine tuned option. That's all.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I am still somewhat new to the tournament scene (only gone to one so far) but I noticed no one else seems to use the Wii controller and I was wondering if anyone else uses them like I just got used to using them on brawl so I use it and everyone I meet was shocked I used it so was wondering if anyone else enjoyed using it like I do

mogwaimon

Smash Apprentice
I used to use the classic controller for Brawl. Even back when I first got my Gamecube and Melee I never really felt that attached to the Gamecube controller, plus by the time Brawl came out years later I no longer owned a Gamecube controller. I'm trying to get used to the GCN controller now, though, but I still miss the classic.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
You mean those small little sticks that are difficult to grip and have a sporadic button layout, making it fairly hard to use for a fighting game?:

Then no.

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
@ Canuckduck Canuckduck We've got a condescending Tom over here.
The only thing that kills me about the Wii controller is the d-pad, and no dedicated jump button. I'm sure it wouldn't be too bad if I were a tap-jumper though.

I played Brawl with the Wii remote and nunchuck, but the lone Wiimote on its side was rather uncomfortable.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The Wii Controllers aren't used at tournaments because they're using wireless bluetooth, which can make tons of conflicts with so many wireless devices people carry around these days. Plus, directly wired controllers have less input lag.

I'm not a tourney guy though, that's impossible for me to be since I live in Denmark, so I usually just use the Classic Controller. Might switch back to the GC Controller eventually, depends what I'm most comfortable with in the long run for Smash 4.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The GamePad. I want to play Smash via Off-Tv Play, so a Gamecube controller is a no to me.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I actually personally prefer the wii controller myself I just have gotten used to it after playing brawl with them so much

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I mean I'm gonna give the game pod a chance but if I do not like it I'll use the Wiimote

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Probably the gamepad or pro controller. Wiimote/nunchuck in emergencies. I wish the pro controllers were cheaper.
They cost like $50:00 and there really really high price. I got one but let me say this...
In mario kart 8 the gamepad and the Wii U pro controller have the same control in every way even the manual say that the gamepad control are same with Wii U pro. Soo, I think the control of the gamepad in smash are gonna be same with the Wii U pro.

But yeah Wii U pro controller is more lighter and comfy to use than the gamepad(still comfy but heavier).

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
They cost like $50:00 and there really really high price. I got one but let me say this...
In mario kart 8 the gamepad and the Wii U pro controller have the same control in every way even the manual say that the gamepad control are same with Wii U pro. Soo, I think the control of the gamepad in smash are gonna be same with the Wii U pro.

But yeah Wii U pro controller is more lighter and comfy to use than the gamepad(still comfy but heavier).
True but clearly not everyone playing at once can use the gamepad. I mean, now that the gamecube adapter is a thing that's a non issue but...

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
True but clearly not everyone playing at once can use the gamepad. I mean, now that the gamecube adapter is a thing that's a non issue but...
Don't worry I try my best to help. I think the gamecube adapter cost like 20$ alone???

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Don't worry I try my best to help. I think the gamecube adapter cost like 20$ alone???
I'm definitely picking up the $99 version of SSBU (As long as that's really a thing and not a rumor) that comes with it so no big deal. I already have GCN controllers so it's still less expensive in the long run

nessokman

Smash Lord
Gamecube. Melee used gamecube and so that's all I'm used to playing with. Change? Screw change, I can't accept change, if I ***** to nintendo long enough they will give me what I want. They even gave me a gamecube adapter.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I MIGHT end up buying the GC adapter, or at the very least a GC styled controller if a cool enough one comes out.

I thought a Pro would be perfectly fine by me, but after having played on a GC controller for the first time in a while yesterday, I don't wanna readjust. It felt so natural.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Add wii remote + nunchuck to that list, right above just wii remote and it's pretty much my thought too.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Definitely. Though there are third party accessories that allow Gamecube controller usage, the input lag they cause makes them entirely unfeasible for this game. If Nintendo were to release an accessory without this disadvantage, however, it's a no brainer.
Did you experience the lag first hand? JW. I could see there being some lag there for sure.

For me, probably Pro Controller. I mostly played Smash Brawl/PM with Classic Controller Pro and loved what I played of Smash 4 with the Pro Controller. I am going to buy the $99 Smash4 bundle so I'll switch up controllers here and there, but Pro Controller will most likely be my main.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
My old orange gamecube controller I've had since I've pretty much originally got Melee..

It's an old friend by this point

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
Before the GC adapter announcement, I was preparing to get multiple pro controllers so I could have 4 player matched with worrying about Wiimote/nunchuck play which has always been annoying for me.

Now, I am definitely getting the adapter and controller and I have mostly functional old GC controllers to use, but I also am going to try pro and game pad set ups. The gamepad in particular has been my controller of choice for Mario Kart 8.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm definitely going to use my old silver GameCube controller. It's been a very close companion through intense play.

I'm also going to use my see-through purple N64 controller via Raphnet adapter, also a close companion through intense play.

I might also use a PS2 controller occasionally, since that's what I play SSF2 competitively with. The issue is, though, there's no Raphnet adapter for that, just Mayflash.

Last edited:

RCyclone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rcyclone
3DS FC
0490-7017-9432
Switch FC
3291-1218-6623
I'll be using the Wiimote + Nunchuck most likely, although I may buy the GC Adapter we'll see if I really want it or not.

CRMS

Smash Rookie
Going to have to buy the adapter. If I have the extra cash, I'll buy a second controller. My 3 old Gamecube controllers are getting buggy, some of the buttons don't respond well.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
> Buys Pro controller in anticipation for Smash
> Gamecube adapter and limited edition controller are released the week after
> Wallet cries itself to sleep

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
Wiimote I become more use to after brawl so I'm sticking with it

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Already have a mayfly gcn adapter

but I bought shovel knight to break my 3DS in a little better with side scrolling action games, I've really used it mainly for pokemon and FE awakening, I need some platforming experience on it before smash comes out.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Super Mario 3d world, mine goes to the home menu, and third party controllers don't work on it. Other than that, it is still good. 8 out of 10 overall for Mayflash.
Ok, you got me there. That's a fair rating, imo. I'll probably get the legit Nintendo one later, to make sure that when I customize controls, it's doing what I want, haha.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I wasn't aware the classic controller worked on MK8 at all. Huh.

My only real complaints about the Mayflash adapter are the fact that it only works with original Wii Remotes (using it with a WR+ makes it go haywire), and a small case of false advertising on their part - they said it was compatible with Wii U Pro Controller games on the package. It's not. (I bought it for Wind Waker HD.)

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I wasn't aware the classic controller worked on MK8 at all. Huh.

My only real complaints about the Mayflash adapter are the fact that it only works with original Wii Remotes (using it with a WR+ makes it go haywire), and a small case of false advertising on their part - they said it was compatible with Wii U Pro Controller games on the package. It's not. (I bought it for Wind Waker HD.)
I'm using it with a wii remote +

works fine for me :/

Top Bottom