• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Controller will you use?

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
It's not a matter of noticing, it quite literally has zero effect on your performance.

Gamecube controller is great, but calling it "optimal" is simply your opinion.
It's not an opinion, it's a fact. If one is equally skilled with both controllers, the option with the least amount of input delay, no matter how miniscule, is optimal.

Makaronileo

Smash Journeyman
I byed a pro controller today, it didn't work with Brawl but it was great with mario Kart.

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
While everyone is going to use a typical GCN controller I'll be using a Pro Controller visually designed as a GCN controller.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
While everyone is going to use a typical GCN controller I'll be using a Pro Controller visually designed as a GCN controller.
I was most looking forward to this controller. The way my Wii U is set up, it would be easier to have a...mostly wireless GCN controller than a wired one. I'm not completely sold on the visuals of it (or the Mario one, or the Peach one), but if the quality is decent, I may have to consider.

Aefice

Smash Apprentice
does the wii u pro controller have delay because its wireless? if so many how many frames?

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
If the Gamecube controller to WiiU adapter is less than 50 bucks than I'm totally getting that over a Pro controller. The pro controllers are just to pricey right now, however I did enjoy playing smash with a pro controller at smashfest, the digital triggers on non-gamecube controllers might give them an advantage.

I think that in brawl, you had to press all the way down on the trigger to get the shield to activate, am I correct?
They could fix this by having the shield activate even if ya dont press all the way down, although I'm not sure if they can even program input for analog triggers on wii u software.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
If the Gamecube controller to WiiU adapter is less than 50 bucks than I'm totally getting that over a Pro controller. The pro controllers are just to pricey right now, however I did enjoy playing smash with a pro controller at smashfest, the digital triggers on non-gamecube controllers might give them an advantage.

I think that in brawl, you had to press all the way down on the trigger to get the shield to activate, am I correct?
They could fix this by having the shield activate even if ya dont press all the way down, although I'm not sure if they can even program input for analog triggers on wii u software.
Just to let you know, Nintendo is releasing a Smash Wii U bundle which includes the game, the adapter, & a Smash Edition GameCube controller all for $99.99

I'll be getting that bundle but I'm still using the Pro Controller. Just too comfy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

It's not an opinion, it's a fact. If one is equally skilled with both controllers, the option with the least amount of input delay, no matter how miniscule, is optimal.
Prove to me there is input lag.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
After picking up a MayFlash Adapter and GC controller, I will be using that. I forgot how comfortable and compact it was.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Just to let you know, Nintendo is releasing a Smash Wii U bundle which includes the game, the adapter, & a Smash Edition GameCube controller all for $99.99

I'll be getting that bundle but I'm still using the Pro Controller. Just too comfy.
Why couldnt it be a smash edition pro controller!?!
Thanks for tellin me tho, I'm defo gettin this

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
Prove to me there is input lag.
There is input lag with every control device. The information has to be sent to the receiver, and although it travels very very quickly, this process is not instantaneous. Wireless controllers send this information a tad slower than their wired counterparts. It's hardly noticeable, but it's there.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I was most looking forward to this controller. The way my Wii U is set up, it would be easier to have a...mostly wireless GCN controller than a wired one. I'm not completely sold on the visuals of it (or the Mario one, or the Peach one), but if the quality is decent, I may have to consider.
I will caution both of you that using a controller like this may be annoying.

They tune the controls per controller and this has a weird hybrid of GCN and CC sticks and counts as a CC.

Meaning the game wasn't made with this in mind.

Also the fact that it is wireless means tough luck if you ever go to a local.

I like the design though.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
There is input lag with every control device. The information has to be sent to the receiver, and although it travels very very quickly, this process is not instantaneous. Wireless controllers send this information a tad slower than their wired counterparts. It's hardly noticeable, but it's there.
Could the wireless lag be less than the lag that the GC controller will have going through the adapter and then through a USB port?

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
Very likely the GC controller (adapter) though I'll still try the Pro Controller and PDP's GC inspired controller.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
Could the wireless lag be less than the lag that the GC controller will have going through the adapter and then through a USB port?
If I'm not mistaken, a good adapter will increase input lag by 1-2 milliseconds, while a wireless controller will increase it by about 6 milliseconds. It varies between adapters but I doubt it'll be as bad as wireless.

Last edited:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
If I'm not mistaken, a good adapter will increase input lag by 1-2 milliseconds, while a wireless controller will increase it by about 6 milliseconds. It varies between adapters but I doubt it'll be as bad as wireless.
Where do you even find out this stuff?
Seriously I wanna know more link me to an article or somethin!

Last edited:

SunnyDust

Smash Journeyman
I plan to buy the Wii U Pro controller as soon as Smash U comes out.
Until then, I will be playing with my beautiful 3DS XL.
Looks like I won't need to buy a Pro controller after all. I'll just stick with the Gamecube controller.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I will caution both of you that using a controller like this may be annoying.

They tune the controls per controller and this has a weird hybrid of GCN and CC sticks and counts as a CC.

Meaning the game wasn't made with this in mind.

Also the fact that it is wireless means tough luck if you ever go to a local.

I like the design though.

Smash 4 is made with Pro Controllers in mind since they are the standard for Wii U.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Smash 4 is made with Pro Controllers in mind since they are the standard for Wii U.
So that's whey everyone at e3 was using them?

But seriously, Brawl was made for all possible controller schemes and were calibrated as such.

This thing is technically a CC that has sticks like a Gamecube one. That's the issue, it's calibrated for one thing and you're feeding it another it's also why using a GCN controller with a classic controller converter is a little weird.

Is the Gamecube adapter for the Wii U really a wired connection? I've heard that the Wii U pro controller sends input data wirelessly even when it's plugged into the Wii U. The wire's only for charging the battery. I was wondering if that box secretly still sends controller data wirelessly

D

Deleted member

Gamecube, though I will pick up a Pro Controller. My brother prefers it, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy using it at Smashfest. It was different, sure, and muscle memory did mess me up sometimes, but it didn't feel too bad IMO. I'd probably just have to use it more, and disable tap jump, and I'd like it just as much as Gamecube probably.

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22

I'll be getting this too, but I hope they'll throw in an Amiibo to sweeten the deal even more.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
So that's whey everyone at e3 was using them?

But seriously, Brawl was made for all possible controller schemes and were calibrated as such.

This thing is technically a CC that has sticks like a Gamecube one. That's the issue, it's calibrated for one thing and you're feeding it another it's also why using a GCN controller with a classic controller converter is a little weird.
No, but that's why they were used in Smash Fest @ Best Buy all around and that's why we saw them at E3 2013. Smash 4 was designed around the Pro Controller. But we're given more control options. Not a bad thing.

DukeofShorts

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Braedenthegreat
Is there really much difference between the Wii Classic Controller Pro and The Gamecube Controller?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Wait. That's a thing?

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
No, but that's why they were used in Smash Fest @ Best Buy all around and that's why we saw them at E3 2013. Smash 4 was designed around the Pro Controller. But we're given more control options. Not a bad thing.
Jeez man, way to take the joke point and run with it.

All of the supported controllers are tested individually and fine tuned on a per controller basis, if you were to take that hybrid Gamecube controller (which by the way registers as a CLASSIC CONTROLLER and not a WiiU Pro Controller) and use it you'd be getting the fine tuning designed for a CLASSIC CONTROLLER while using something that is not made the same way.

Now do you understand?

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
Can someone answer this?

The Wii U Pro is wireless, but if there are tens of other Wii U Pros at a tournament then won't that cause some issues or lag with wireless? I remember people complaining about the controllers at Smashfest demos, although some said it was probably the TVs.

EDIT: It's also a hard decision because the Wii U Pro is actually closer to the 3DS with Circle Pad Pro design. But a Gamecube controller allows the same control scheme for every Smash game. Seems like the best option for muscle memory's sake would be the Wii U Pro since the transition from 3DS to Wii U would be nearly seamless. But I don't know how well I'd be able to default back to a Gamecube controller if I got used to a 3ds.

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Jeez man, way to take the joke point and run with it.

All of the supported controllers are tested individually and fine tuned on a per controller basis, if you were to take that hybrid Gamecube controller (which by the way registers as a CLASSIC CONTROLLER and not a WiiU Pro Controller) and use it you'd be getting the fine tuning designed for a CLASSIC CONTROLLER while using something that is not made the same way.

Now do you understand?
Somewhat. If you look at the picture however, the inputs are ripped from the Classic Controller/U Pro Controller and molded as a GCN controller. There are pictures that show this. That controller I posted a pic of has L, R, ZL and ZR buttons. It also has the same sticks from the U Pro Controller.

Classic Controller and Pro Controllers are virtually and mostly the same. It all comes down the registration of the game itself (as you implied)- however, I'm hazarding a guess the testing for the CCP and U Controller means they'll have mostly comparable controls for Smash 4.

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
I'm feeling the Pro Controller. Though I'll check out what the game pad's like too :)

Though these Wii U Gamecube-esque controllers are a revelation to me. Maybe if I put some pennies away...

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
good ol fashioned gamecube controller HOWEVER I will try out the pro controller first if I like it enough I'll use it instead

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Only that yoshi GCN is a Wiimote adapter GCN controller there is also a mario and peach version of that too.

Top Bottom