• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Controller will you use?

D

Deleted member 245254

The Wii U Pro controller is an incredibly nice pad. It's sort of the obvious choice for Wii U owners who aren't packing tons of older Nintendo pads like Wii motes, Classic controllers, or GCC's.

One thing I'm seeing a lot of is a sort of naivety to the likely control schemes for this game, and with a bunch of folks' predetermined choices. The Wii U does not accept GCC controllers, and even with the adapter, you're looking at a heavy reliance on some pretty shoddy 3rd party technology. Not only is the product available subject already to scathing reviews of unreliability, often defective performance, input lag, and short life span, but the chances of these being allowed for any official function are nearly non-existent. You're setting yourself up for some serious heartache if you're putting all your stock in continuing to use the GCC competitively with SSB4. It's time to move on. I loved the GC pad of course, like everyone else, but there's a time and place, and the GC pad needs to be put to rest, and Nintendo surely agrees.

Honestly the game is likely going to be designed to be optimally played around the Wii U Pro anyhow.

Last edited by a moderator:

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone who already has and has used a pro Controller say what they think about moving the ABXY buttons below the analog stick? I always preferred the Xbox/Gamecube style and hate that they've gone away from that now. I'm worried it will ruin Smash 4 for me and I won't buy a 3rd party controller.

theinstituter

Smash Cadet
NNID
theinstituter
3DS FC
0662-2468-9863
I would get one of those GC Controller adapters, but I just don't like the idea since I'll be wasting batteries and such for a Wii Remote.
So I'd definitely use the Wii U Pro Controller for Smash 4.

TheMiddleVeen

Smash Cadet
I'm going to stick with my classic controller. It became my favorite because I didn't want to sit in the middle of the floor with a gamecube controller. Also I am not a fan of the pro controller because of the buttons being lower than the analog stick.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
For me, I'll be using my GOLD Wii Classic Controller Pro.

That's right. GOLD.

Nobody cares....

Last edited:

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone who already has and has used a pro Controller say what they think about moving the ABXY buttons below the analog stick? I always preferred the Xbox/Gamecube style and hate that they've gone away from that now. I'm worried it will ruin Smash 4 for me and I won't buy a 3rd party controller.
So, any answers here?

D

Deleted member 245254

Think of it as a testament to your skill as a player, your ability to adapt to an *ever-so-slightly* different control scheme.

I have more respect for folks who can maintain their performance even in light of a little bit of un-comfort-ability (and only temporarily), as opposed to people whom will quite figuratively fall apart without their beloved control of choice.

People who use mote + nunchuck may have less to worry about but I honestly wouldn't be too confident on that front either...but there is much precedent for wii motes being utilized on the Wii U so it isn't all dark for mote + chuk users.

I have my Wii U Pro controller synced to Bluetooth so I can use it on my PC, and I have Project M, Brawl, & Melee on Dolphin, to which I've been using the Wii U Pro with lately to prepare myself. That and countless hours of MH3U, I'd say I have a good amount of experience with the controller.

Let me first get out of the way that this is one of the most comfortable and beautiful controls made in recent times. It's shape is near perfection, and its battery life is holyshizinfinite. It has a glossy front but the whole backside is matte finish, making it easier on your grip and less prone to sweat giving you a hard time.

Gripes over the right stick are much exaggerated. First of all, it's the first pad (that I'm aware of within the past several generations) to place the right side stick above the buttons, so you can mostly equate it all to folks being opposed to change. A controller is an extension of you in games, and especially in smash where it's used to arguably do the most important functions (control your character), when a controller changes from the usual route, it's almost as if someone is changing you. I bought the circle pad pro a while ago for MH3U on 3DS before getting it on Wii U, and similarly although a bit lower, the stick location presents a certain similarity in its placement. You'll likely want to be using the Circle Pad Pro if you want a smash stick for 3DS Smash so I'd maybe pick that up and use it a bit with a game that utilizes it a lot, that really helped me.

The thing is however, let's assume the right stick gets stuck as the smash stick like in previous iterations. That being the case, it's position on the pad (as long as it's somewhere on the right side) isn't truly as important as you might think it is. It literally takes a game or two to get used to flicking a stick a bit higher on the pad, than flicking it where it was on the GC controller or where it might be on a traditional 360 pad format. The position of the right stick is honestly a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. What people should be way more concerned about getting accustomed to is the lack of "fun-sized" buttons.

The most staggering difference between the GC controller and that of using the newer Nintendo controls are the ABXY buttons. The GC pad was special because each button was sized different from the other. It looked fantastically weird and ridiculous but in practice, it made things so perfect. Each button had its own defined shape, which allowed your hands to easily distinguish between them, and as you mastered its use, you became just that much more accurate with your inputs. There's really something to be said for the kind of familiarity that sort thing creates at a much quicker pace than say a fight stick where all the buttons are the same size and feeling. Even the triggers are so unique in how they work, and are complimented by the Z button which is utterly different in how it works.

It's incredibly awkward, learning how to jump with Y, X, B, or A. Which button will you map to attack? Special? Shielding with R and grabbing will be simple enough to get acquainted with but the sheer difference in both positioning and size of the right face buttons from the GCC to the modern Nintendo format is what I find to be the most unsettling part of the process. Practicing with a Classic or Classic Pro with Brawl/Project M are your best bets right now for reaching the most familiarity that you can before SSB4 releases for Wii U. That's what I'm doing and what I'd recommend, anyway.

In any case, you will get used to it. You're human. You got used to the GCC, which is testament enough to your ability to grow accustomed to the most wacky and ridiculous looking control scheme (on the surface) known to man. If you don't remember, when the GCC released it was harshly criticized for being one of the most ridiculous looking and feeling controls of the generation (or of the past several). The Wii U Pro is anything but that in this generation, with the exception of a slight placement difference of the right stick which isn't super significant to your overall performance. You will get used to it. You will be fine.

theinstituter

Smash Cadet
NNID
theinstituter
3DS FC
0662-2468-9863
Think of it as a testament to your skill as a player, your ability to adapt to an *ever-so-slightly* different control scheme.

I have my Wii U Pro controller synced to Bluetooth so I can use it on my PC, and I have Project M, Brawl, & Melee on Dolphin, to which I've been using the Wii U Pro with lately to prepare myself. That and countless hours of MH3U, I'd say I have a good amount of experience with the controller.

Let me first get out of the way that this is one of the most comfortable and beautiful controls made in recent times. It's shape is near perfection, and its battery life is holyshizinfinite. It has a glossy front but the whole backside is matte finish, making it easier on your grip and less prone to sweat giving you a hard time.

Gripes over the right stick are much exaggerated. First of all, it's the first pad (that I'm aware of within the past several generations) to place the right side stick above the buttons, so you can mostly equate it all to folks being opposed to change. A controller is an extension of you in games, and especially in smash where it's used to arguably do the most important functions (control your character), when a controller changes from the usual route, it's almost as if someone is changing you. I bought the circle pad pro a while ago for MH3U on 3DS before getting it on Wii U, and similarly although a bit lower, the stick location presents a certain similarity in its placement. You'll likely want to be using the Circle Pad Pro if you want a smash stick for 3DS Smash so I'd maybe pick that up and use it a bit with a game that utilizes it a lot, that really helped me.

The thing is however, let's assume the right stick gets stuck as the smash stick like in previous iterations. That being the case, it's position on the pad (as long as it's somewhere on the right side) isn't truly as important as you might think it is. It literally takes a game or two to get used to flicking a stick a bit higher on the pad, than flicking it where it was on the GC controller or where it might be on a traditional 360 pad format. The position of the right stick is honestly a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. What people should be way more concerned about getting accustomed to is the lack of "fun-sized" buttons.

The most staggering difference between the GC controller and that of using the newer Nintendo controls are the ABXY buttons. The GC pad was special because each button was sized different from the other. It looked fantastically weird and ridiculous but in practice, it made things so perfect. Each button had its own defined shape, which allowed your hands to easily distinguish between them, and as you mastered its use, you became just that much more accurate with your inputs. There's really something to be said for the kind of familiarity that sort thing creates at a much quicker pace than say a fight stick where all the buttons are the same size and feeling. Even the triggers are so unique in how they work, and are complimented by the Z button which is utterly different in how it works.

It's incredibly awkward, learning how to jump with Y, X, B, or A. Which button will you map to attack? Special? Shielding with R and grabbing will be simple enough to get acquainted with but the sheer difference in both positioning and size of the right face buttons from the GCC to the modern Nintendo format is what I find to be the most unsettling part of the process. Practicing with a Classic or Classic Pro with Brawl/Project M are your best bets right now for reaching the most familiarity that you can before SSB4 releases for Wii U. That's what I'm doing and what I'd recommend, anyway.

In any case, you will get used to it. You're human. You got used to the GCC, which is testament enough to your ability to grow accustomed to the most wacky and ridiculous looking control scheme (on the surface) known to man. If you don't remember, when the GCC released it was harshly criticized for being one of the most ridiculous looking and feeling controls of the generation (or of the past several). The Wii U Pro is anything but that in this generation, with the exception of a slight placement difference of the right stick which isn't super significant to your overall performance. You will get used to it. You will be fine.

I feel as if I need to get the controller already.

Last edited:

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Zipzo,

Thanks for the tip. I don't use the smash stick much. My main concern is the ABXY buttons being down so low. and I agree about the GC controller being better designed in terms of ergonomics. I honestly have loved every controller that had ABXY high and hated every controller that had ABXY low from N64 on. I guess Smash is the only thing that would make me try a different path. I agree that apart from that, the controller looks fantastic.
I'm an industrial designer so I can appreciate great hardware. That said, if anyone has some ME/EE connections. I'd love to do a 3rd party project together!

Last edited:

SunnyDust

Smash Journeyman
I plan to buy the Wii U Pro controller as soon as Smash U comes out.
Until then, I will be playing with my beautiful 3DS XL.

Last edited:

I have more respect for folks who can maintain their performance even in light of a little bit of un-comfort-ability (and only temporarily), as opposed to people whom will quite figuratively fall apart without their beloved control of choice.

People who use mote + nunchuck may have less to worry about but I honestly wouldn't be too confident on that front either...but there is much precedent for wii motes being utilized on the Wii U so it isn't all dark for mote + chuk users.

I generally agree with this, except for one portion about the right stick placement.

First, it does matter. Moving your hands downward to reach for the stick feels much more organic than a downwards motion. With the tips of your thumb being located on the face buttons of the peripheral you could easily use the length of your thumb to transition smoothly into an aerial or smash, making things like retreating Fair with Marth a possibility. The speed in which you can execute motions is hindered tremendously since withdrawing your thumb is more natural than extending it upwards. Moving the tip of your thumb to reach for the right stick forces you to surrender your thumb placement since you can't just slap it with the base of your thumb.

Secondly, the size is an issue, as the stick is protruding, so you lack the freedom to transition as smoothly as you were able to previously with the c-stick. You can comfortable hit the stick up and right, but down and left may require some odd hand placement or reconfiguring the jump button to a trigger so you may freely use the stick for smashes and aerials.

I do think the pro controller is comfortable, but the placement of the right stick is the only problem in my opinion. If the stick was inverted it would be leagues better.

D

Deleted member 245254

I generally agree with this, except for one portion about the right stick placement.

First, it does matter. Moving your hands downward to reach for the stick feels much more organic than a downwards motion. With the tips of your thumb being located on the face buttons of the peripheral you could easily use the length of your thumb to transition smoothly into an aerial or smash, making things like retreating Fair with Marth a possibility. The speed in which you can execute motions is hindered tremendously since withdrawing your thumb is more natural than extending it upwards. Moving the tip of your thumb to reach for the right stick forces you to surrender your thumb placement since you can't just slap it with the base of your thumb.

Secondly, the size is an issue, as the stick is protruding, so you lack the freedom to transition as smoothly as you were able to previously with the c-stick. You can comfortable hit the stick up and right, but down and left may require some odd hand placement or reconfiguring the jump button to a trigger so you may freely use the stick for smashes and aerials.

I do think the pro controller is comfortable, but the placement of the right stick is the only problem in my opinion. If the stick was inverted it would be leagues better.
Most of this is going to be utterly subjective anyway, as it would be for basically any control.

What may feel and seem horrendously hindering or unnatural could feel like home to other players, it's just like, your opinion man. I'm not making a case for the Wii U Pro controller in terms of its button/stick placement/scheme being in-genius and without fault, I'm making a case for humans having the ability to adapt to literally any controller given some time, that being said it really doesn't truly affect my point, whether you dislike the button scheme overall or not.

I mean, you're not about to tell me that seriously competitive players who play Marth at a high level can't figure out how to do a retreating Fair on a Wii U Pro controller? They will figure it out. It's not impossible. They will grow accustomed to it, and that will be that.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Pro Controller until Nintendo releases the inevitable Gamecube esque controller for use with VC.

.Lucina

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5327-1598-3487
I'd use the Wii Remote+Nunchuck (I feel most comfortable with it), but since my wii remote can't connect to the Nunchuck I'll have to work with the GamePad.

Riposte__

Smash Apprentice
I might get the Nyko pro controller just for smash. I can overlook the a and b being switched for one game for having that GC layout.

OhHeyDJ

Smash Rookie
NNID
OhHeyDJ
3DS FC
2707-1792-0685
I think those of us that are buying both version (which I assume is the vast majority of us) will be able to rebuild our muscle memory with the 3DS version. It should be an easier transition to the Wii U version since the button layout is pretty similar on the Pro Controller. As of right now, I've been playing messing around in Brawl with the Wii Classic Controller Pro to work on building that muscle memory.

Last edited:

OhHeyDJ

Smash Rookie
NNID
OhHeyDJ
3DS FC
2707-1792-0685
I also have the 3rd Party adapters to use Gamecube controller on Wii U. It's a little clumsy and inconsistent if you're playing Brawl on a Wii U. Fortunately the adapter is 15 bucks so it was worth a shot. It's sad, but it's time to retire the good ol' Gamecube Controller. It's been a good run.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Pro controller

Riposte__

Smash Apprentice
I have thought about that option but the gc adapter and a gc controller would cost allot more then the nyko which I could also have instantly. The wii pro and wii u pro are good controllers but I have big hands and don't want to press the second stick when im pressing x or y to jump.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
I have thought about that option but the gc adapter and a gc controller would cost allot more then the nyko which I could also have instantly. The wii pro and wii u pro are good controllers but I have big hands and don't want to press the second stick when im pressing x or y to jump.
Maybe they will change controls to accomidate

R0Y

Smash Master
I have big hands and have always preferred the N64 controller to the GameCube's. That thing is too small.

Riposte__

Smash Apprentice
I have big hands and have always preferred the N64 controller to the GameCube's. That thing is too small.
I found it was perfect for my big hands. I like how A was given priority and was the bigest button, and how the smaller buttons where far enough apart from A that you are not likely to press it by accident (compared to other controllers, in my experience) What i don't get is the wii pro and wii u pro controllers have the l/r button where the z button are. When I get to play the demo and play i'll switch that.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Probably the gamepad or pro controller. Wiimote/nunchuck in emergencies. I wish the pro controllers were cheaper.

Dread Fighter

Smash Rookie
NNID
pammygayle
3DS FC
0130-3036-4347
The Wii U Gamepad :) If that doesn't work then I'll be forced to drop 50 bucks on that pro controller (Only Smash Bros. would make me do that)

D

Deleted member 245254

The nyko is not only smaller than the standard pro controller but is widely known to be prone to breaking very easily because it's a cheap piece of hardware.

They pretty much made it specifically to prey on smashers/COD tweens.

Do yourself a favor and just get used to a different spot for your smash stick so you can use Nintendo's very high quality new controller.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
If there is an option to disable the second control stick, which I hope will be an option that will save me 20 bucks.
i hope so either way its still a little awcward for me with the 2 thumb sticks parallel nintendo should make a gamcube one like this

Last edited:

Riposte__

Smash Apprentice
The nyko is not only smaller than the standard pro controller but is widely known to be prone to breaking very easily because it's a cheap piece of hardware.

They pretty much made it specifically to prey on smashers/COD tweens.

Do yourself a favor and just get used to a different spot for your smash stick so you can use Nintendo's very high quality new controller.
That takes me back man. Back to the days where I would crush Madcatz just when I was holding them. #jock nerd problems. Still I don't think the Nyko controllers are that bad. I've held (its about the size of an xbox controller) and feels comfortable.
i hope so either way its still a little awcward for me with the 2 thumb sticks parallel nintendo should make a gamcube one like this

Ehhhhhhhhhh. I really don like that all the buttons are the same size and evenly spaced and that the z trigger and r/l bumpers switched spots. If they are going to make the GC controller, I wish they would go all in.

Last edited:

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
That takes me back man. Back to the days where I would crush Madcatz just when I was holding them. #jock nerd problems. Still I don't think the Nyko controllers are that bad. I've held (its about the size of an xbox controller) and feels comfortable.

Ehhhhhhhhhh. I really don like that all the buttons are the same size and evenly spaced and that the z trigger and r/l bumpers switched spots. If they are going to make the GC controller, I wish they would go all in.
well most controlles use bumpers now so i cant say much about it but maybe more like this?

Top Bottom