• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Controller Will You Use?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Don't double post @ Schronos Schronos

We don't know if everything will be returning yet, but I think I'd continue using the Wiichucks.

Edit: Upon further inspection, this exact thread already exists. Merging the two for convenience.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Yeah I know you said It's your opinion, just not sure why two buttons ought to be left to shield but whatever.

Also, no such thing was said about the Wii u game pad; just that he isn't going to make it have boy unique functionality. Other than that, It's just a pro with a screen in the middle.

Schronos

Smash Rookie
Yeah I know you said It's your opinion, just not sure why two buttons ought to be left to shield but whatever.

Also, no such thing was said about the Wii u game pad; just that he isn't going to make it have boy unique functionality. Other than that, It's just a pro with a screen in the middle.
At least for melee (not exactly sure about brawl), left trigger was usually L-Cancel and maybe teching while right trigger was for wave dashing and shielding.
I left the gamepad out of the poll because I'm asking from a competitive point of view. The gamepad isn't nearly as good as anything else, and more than likely tournaments will ban it because only one person can use it.

R0Y

Smash Master
New hardware so new controller this time. Competitive
At least for melee (not exactly sure about brawl), left trigger was usually L-Cancel and maybe teching while right trigger was for wave dashing and shielding.
I left the gamepad out of the poll because I'm asking from a competitive point of view. The gamepad isn't nearly as good as anything else, and more than likely tournaments will ban it because only one person can use it.
What...

Isn't nearly as good as anything else you say? LOL. It may be a little heavy but it's designed well and has the exact same layout as the Pro Controller other than having bigger triggers, bumpers, and textured face buttons. The Home Button is tucked away but that won't be used in gameplay.

So only one person can use it? It grants no technical advantage in Smash, not likely for a ban...especially when the console requires it for many games and features, it'll be with every console.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
Warning Received
Wii U pro controller and 3DS. I already have a white and black one and they work fine. They stay charged for a long time too.

Whether or not it will be made is determined by how cost effective it is considering that the Classic Controller Pro was just a plug in while the Pro controller is a separate peripheral, but I think it's possible considering all of the other products Nintendo is shelling on the market.

Basically, for me it's gonna be GC. If it doesn't work out ill use the Pro.

Exactly. Nintendo has a lot of "not a single f%ck given" peripherils no one will use. As open as I am to using the Wii U pro controller it wouldn't hurt them to put out a Gamecube-esque controller for the Wii U.

Last edited by a moderator:

HipsandChips

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5172-0569-0749
I might transition to to Wii U Pro (Them triggers aint up to my needs though) however I've always loved how with remote and nun chuck you truly lounge freely, with arms spread.

Khao

Smash Lord
I'll likely just use the gamepad. Not out of preference, but because the Pro Controller is freaking expensive. If it was included with the system or packed with the game, I'd go for it, but otherwise, nah, screw it, not worth it.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
What...

Isn't nearly as good as anything else you say? LOL. It may be a little heavy but it's designed well and has the exact same layout as the Pro Controller other than having bigger triggers, bumpers, and textured face buttons. The Home Button is tucked away but that won't be used in gameplay.

So only one person can use it? It grants no technical advantage in Smash, not likely for a ban...especially when the console requires it for many games and features, it'll be with every console.
Gamepad is actually a certain amount of frames ahead of what is being played on the TV and the fact that you have your own screen separate from the TV can both be considered advantages. I actually wouldn't be surprised if the Gamepad does get banned from being allowed to be used as a controller for playing at tournaments and stuff.

As for the question at hand. If a wired controller gets introduced for the Wii-U down the line then I will use that without question. Otherwise I'll probably end up using the CCP as I seriously dislike the placement of the second stick on the Wii-U Pro.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well 3 options

1 wii pad if possible

2 the pro controller (wiimote and numchuk if I don't get

3 buy a wii u/wii adaptor for gamecube controller and use that if classic controller from wii works on smash bros 4

Ividboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ividboy
3DS FC
4098-4898-5270
I'm using the pro controller because I like the shoulder buttons better for smash since they don't go down as far as the GC controller's triggers( Pro's are digital triggers) and because it will most likely be the controller with the least lag for tournies because classic is designed for a previous gen and the GC adapter is third party and probably has even more lag( it also has a turbo button so it might be banned, you could gut the button though) Also the pro controllers battery life is monsterous (80 hours) I don't rebember charging it since my first full charge on christmas

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Gamepad is actually a certain amount of frames ahead of what is being played on the TV and the fact that you have your own screen separate from the TV can both be considered advantages. I actually wouldn't be surprised if the Gamepad does get banned from being allowed to be used as a controller for playing at tournaments and stuff.

As for the question at hand. If a wired controller gets introduced for the Wii-U down the line then I will use that without question. Otherwise I'll probably end up using the CCP as I seriously dislike the placement of the second stick on the Wii-U Pro.
Depends on the responsiveness of the TV how much. Really it's more the fault of the TV than the speed of the gamepad. Also, when playing online, internet speeds and the rarity of a reliable wired connection (and lack of the possibility of a gigabit one anyway) will render the gamepad to the mercy of Wi-Fi speeds.

Also, I'm hoping it'll be like DKC: Tropical Freeze and the screen will be turned off when not in off-TV mode to save battery life and this issue. Also, if like DKC: Tropical Freeze the TV display will be turned off if in off-TV mode instead. Even more so for the screen turning off if there's any performance gain to be had only broadcasting to one screen at a time, which is doubtful because as far as I know the Wii U broadcast is "free" as far as extra rendering work, but I could be wrong.

Simple fix to a simple problem.

Last edited:

star_seeker

Smash Rookie
NNID
StarSeeker64
3DS FC
2922-0029-4523
Gonna go with 3DS, and probably the GamePad. I don't know why, but it feels... right

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Depends on the responsiveness of the TV how much. Really it's more the fault of the TV than the speed of the gamepad. Also, when playing online, internet speeds and the rarity of a reliable wired connection (and lack of the possibility of a gigabit one anyway) will render the gamepad to the mercy of Wi-Fi speeds.
Doesn't matter if it is the fault of the TV. The fact that it is frames ahead is still an advatadge.

Also, I'm hoping it'll be like DKC: Tropical Freeze and the screen will be turned off when not in off-TV mode to save battery life and this issue. Also, if like DKC: Tropical Freeze the TV display will be turned off if in off-TV mode instead.Even more so for the screen turning off if there's any performance gain to be had only broadcasting to one screen at a time, which is doubtful because as far as I know the Wii U broadcast is "free" as far as extra rendering work, but I could be wrong.
Only if they put it in. I have doubts they would implement it for a game like Smash.

Only if the simple fix actually gets implemented.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Doesn't matter if it is the fault of the TV. The fact that it is frames ahead is still an advatadge.

Only if they put it in. I have doubts they would implement it for a game like Smash.

Only if the simple fix actually gets implemented.
They implemented it for a 2D platformer, and considering Brawl literally ignored motion control, if any other game besides Tropical Freeze had the screen off implemented, I'd bet it'd be Smash.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I assume we'll still be using CRT TVs for tournament play, right? Well, CRTs update faster than the gamepad, and oftentimes you can't have the image on both screens. But it might get banned because you might only be able to use one Gamepad while playing SSB4. Can somebody test if you can use two for DKCTF?

And if it was at an advantage and two could be used, who cares? The GC was at an advantage because B-sticking doesn't work on Wiimote + Nunchuck.

Also, I'm hoping it'll be like DKC: Tropical Freeze and the screen will be turned off when not in off-TV mode to save battery life and this issue. Also, if like DKC: Tropical Freeze the TV display will be turned off if in off-TV mode instead. Even more so for the screen turning off if there's any performance gain to be had only broadcasting to one screen at a time, which is doubtful because as far as I know the Wii U broadcast is "free" as far as extra rendering work, but I could be wrong.

Or you could just use the Pro controller since it's the exact same thing instead of using the Wii U pad so you can be "that guy".

Nothing about what you stated seemed simple; it sounds tedious, even more so than the people who need to upload their custom controllers before they play.

Last edited:

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
Bought a Pro Controller just for this. Probably will use the Gamepad a bit too.

R0Y

Smash Master
Or you could just use the Pro controller since it's the exact same thing instead of using the Wii U pad so you can be "that guy".

Nothing about what you stated seemed simple; it sounds tedious, even more so than the people who need to upload their custom controllers before they play.
Okay bro, passive aggressive much?

It's been done before in a game just this year and can be done again. A mirror that's a few frame ahead of the TV isn't helpful,it's actually detrimental to other players. A pro controller at no extra cost is useful.

Last edited:

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Most-likely the default Gamepad.
It will have speaker for character selection chime/SFX, I use the off-TV function a lot, but most of all it's just so convenient. I like to browse the Internet, and I'm sure I'll want to post a comical picture/caption on Miiverse, etc. (which is easier to accomplish on the Gamepad).

Last edited:
Okay bro, passive aggressive much?

It's been done before in a game just this year and can be done again. A mirror that's a few frame ahead of the TV isn't helpful, but a pro controller at no extra cost is.
I'm just saying, that's what you're gonna be. There is no benefit to using the pad to the pro controller since it's the same thing.

I get it, if you don't have the money you don't have the money, I'm in the same boat. But if you can afford the system and a copy of the game I'm sure you can find a discounted pro controller. I don't even have the system, but I still plan on having everything I need. If you're a gamer cost should be the least of your concern since it is known that gaming is an expensive hobby.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I'm just saying, that's what you're gonna be. There is no benefit to using the pad to the pro controller since it's the same thing.

I get it, if you don't have the money you don't have the money, I'm in the same boat. But if you can afford the system and a copy of the game I'm sure you can find a discounted pro controller. I don't even have the system, but I still plan on having everything I need. If you're a gamer cost should be the least of your concern since it is known that gaming is an expensive hobby.
It's still a pretty terrible assumption of you to make. I bought a 3DS back in August and Pokemon in October. That's the last time I was able to spend any amount of money on gaming anything, and right now I'm saving up for the Wii U and the game and I'll be lucky to have that money together by launch, let alone enough for another controller. Luckily I've a brother who is going to let me borrow it, but if it weren't for that I'd be planning on using the game pad as well.
The fact that you can and will be able to buy everything you need does not mean you ought to assume everybody can. In fact, it's fairly egocentric of you.

It's still a pretty terrible assumption of you to make. I bought a 3DS back in August and Pokemon in October. That's the last time I was able to spend any amount of money on gaming anything, and right now I'm saving up for the Wii U and the game and I'll be lucky to have that money together by launch, let alone enough for another controller. Luckily I've a brother who is going to let me borrow it, but if it weren't for that I'd be planning on using the game pad as well.
The fact that you can and will be able to buy everything you need does not mean you ought to assume everybody can. In fact, it's fairly egocentric of you.
No no no, I do not believe that because I can afford something mean others should, I've lived in the ghetto my whole life so I know what I can't afford, and I'm really poor even with a job, I'm just stating that some expenses that people are concerned about don't necessarily add up or should be of minimal concern. Just as an example, if one could pay a premium monthly for internet fast enough to enable them to play a video game online, yet I become concerned about the expense of a game or a peripheral for said gaming it doesn't make much economic sense, especially when I could simply get internet good enough for me to check email and send assignments; I've made a conscious choice to do so, so the complaint about something else's expense is only a result of the mitigated finances that go to my internet, in the end I'm torn between two things that are basically unnecessary. I pay around 50 a month for high speed internet so that I can enjoy the services at the rate in which I am accustomed too , so paying a minor amount to further enjoy my services isn't really a huge concern considering that I have been doing so for so many years. Like you, I am also saving for the system, game and controller.

Gaming as a hobby--rather, getting the full experience out of a game is extremely expensive, but knowing that this is Nintendo I know there will be different outlets in which my experience can change. I feel that if you can successfully purchase a system, the game, while still being able to pay a monthly premium for online services to enable your gaming habits your finances are not in a position where you can't afford something as an additional peripheral in the near future, unless you are expecting a large fluctuation in your finances in your near future. I feel that saving the money for the controller and buying it second hand dealer such as Amazon is reasonable; hell I bought a 50 dollar Playstation 3 controller just by doing surveys for amazon points. It took me about 5 months just to get that but I did as I had no dispensable income.

Also it's funny that you mention you bought a 3DS in August, because I did the very same thing and bought it with Pokemon, but unfortunately I had to trade it in to get another game I wanted on sale. I didn't want to but that's how things are; everything costs something. Either way, I'm no rich man, but I've been gaming for a while and I know the hobby is getting more and more expensive so I tend not to find spending more money on it if I do desire to be a big issue considering all of everything else I pay for. Enjoying games is often a sacrifice of time and finances that could be directed elsewhere. That's atleast how I see it. However, I can see where I could have came off as wrong because I don't even know how he acquired his system; for all I know he could have broken into someone's house and gotten it lol.

I feel like it would be in his best interest to have a Pro Controller since the button layout is the same. I could also say it is more comfortable but that is subjective to tastes. I would imagine having to carry it around would require a back pack or something to play with assuming you are going to travel with it, then again it could be convenient is you just used the ones with the consoles used at tournaments (if he is into that thing). The only foreseeable issue is if you have 2 people who want to use the pad, as to my knowledge you can't have 2 Wii U pads synced to one system, unless it functions just as a controller like in DK Tropical Freeze. Time will tell either way.

Not related, but I just remembered that Nintendo 64 games used to be 70 dollars. Wtf man?

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Wii U Pro.

Gamecube controller will be the worst set up as there will be no mapping of those analog triggers (and input delay).

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
I'd use the GamePad the most, if not Classic Controller Pro, if not Wii U Pro if I decide to get one.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
Dat Pro Controller will probably be my main controller, unless Nintendo comes out with a gamecube controller that's compatible with the Wii U.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, those sticks on the pro controller are awkward. I'm getting it anyways, so I'll either have to start using the nunchuck to get used to it, or switch from GameCube to pro.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Yeah, those sticks on the pro controller are awkward. I'm getting it anyways, so I'll either have to start using the nunchuck to get used to it, or switch from GameCube to pro.
Eh. I can and have switched between classic and GC and other controllers at the drop of a hat. The pro isn't even all that different from the Nunchuck in my head, oddly enough. Even scrambling the face buttons isn't enough to mess me up much.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, switching itself is easy to get accustomed to after 1 or 2 battles. The problem, for me at least, is when I think I can do something exclusive to the GameCube controller but I can't (ie:Hyphen-smashes). It's not a huge deal, but having to think a bit more throws me off sometimes.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Hopefully Nintendo releases a GCN-esque controller for WiiU. Think about it, won't they be releasing GC games digitally anyhow? They need the controller.

Last edited:

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully Nintendo releases a GCN-esque controller for WiiU. Think about it, won't they be releasing GC games digitally anyhow? They need the controller.
Just because they may release GameCube games, doesn't mean they need to use the GameCube controller. Any NES game on the wii uses the wii remote as a controller.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Just because they may release GameCube games, doesn't mean they need to use the GameCube controller. Any NES game on the wii uses the wii remote as a controller.
Mario Sunshine and Melee need the analog triggers to function.

That's just two games.

Yeah they need a Gamecube controller.

And don't say "may". They will, this is Nintendo. They love selling old stuff.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I'll be getting 2 Wii U Pro Controllers by the time the game comes out. One for me to get used to, another in case a family member or friends wants a more accessible Gamecube controller. But if I had the option, Gamecube controller adapter would be great.

Also, why hasn't there been a poll on this matter since Page 1?

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

That's just two games.

Or they just won't release those because of it. SMS might even get remade. Heck, they might even just screw people out of lightshielding in the VC release of Melee.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman

That's just two games.

I say May because it's not certain whether or not they will sell them. And the wii pro controller still has triggers and analog sticks. If anything, they'll force you to buy pro controllers so they don't have to make a new product with new cables.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I say May because it's not certain whether or not they will sell them. And the wii pro controller still has triggers and analog sticks. If anything, they'll force you to buy pro controllers so they don't have to make a new product with new cables.
Wrong. Pro controller doesn't have triggers, it has 4 buttons.
Or they just won't release those because of it. SMS might even get remade. Heck, they might even just screw people out of lightshielding in the VC release of Melee.
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

Meh. Sloppy post aside, it could happen. 99% of the people who'd buy Melee on VC wouldn't notice or even care. Sunshine... Thinking about it, you only needed near-click and click right? Just make use of the pro or gamepad's additional shoulder buttons and move the island map to ZL or minus.

SmasherCat

Smash Journeyman

Oops, it has bumpers : /
Not a huge difference, significant yet easy to adapt to.

A remake of SMS would be nice. Way too expensive considering the game wasn't that great though...

Top Bottom