• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Controller Will You Use?

Reznor

work in progress
guys I know how we solve this problem
we all buy this

wii u arcade stick.jpg

hope most of you guys know i'm joking

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
people forget that Brawl was made with the Gamecube controller in mind
if that matters
It certainly matters, and it goes to show why it was so much preferred. Kinda gotta keep up the same mentality going into this game if you ask me. The controller on the devs mind will be the one to want to use.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
people forget that Brawl was made with the Gamecube controller in mind
if that matters
It does matter.

If a game gets made for a certain controller in mind, then that controller it is made for will actually end up being the superior working controller no matter what.

Other control schemes for the Wii on Smash actually have a little bit of lag when compared to the GCC, it is supposedly even more apparent on P:M.

The Wii U Pro controller is really neat. Most people who are clinging to their Gamecube controllers will have to switch in the long run anyway. Didn't Sakurai say at one point that the game is being developed with the Pro controller in mind?
Source?

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Classic Controller Pro. I bought it a few years ago to prepare for Smash 4 to begin with.

Oh, and the 3DS for Smash 5. ¦D

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Undecided. I don't know how I'm going to depart from the gamecube controller. The funny thing is the thing I'll miss most will be the button placement of the A,B, X, and Y buttons. The configuration makes so much sense for smash. Recently I've been trying to play brawl with the classic controller. It's been a very frustrating experience, I feel like as if I'm learning to walk again.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
I'm going to rig my ps2 controllers to work on it like I did for brawl, if I don;t get round to buying the wii u pro controller or something when/if I even get the console.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Kgozi is right. The 3rd party adapters for the game cube remote don't work all that great. Granted it's a way to get your gamecube controller on the WiiU, there is something called "dead zone" that effects the R and L trigger. Since the new triggers are just buttons instead of triggers the game cube trigger won't respond unless you push it all the way in. This creates a sort of delayed Block/evade, and if you like to play to the fullest with precise timing on your blocking/evading then don't buy the adapter.

That said... like Jawz I'm committed as well. So I purchased the best solution. 1st off I have to say that I like the placement of the A,B,X, and Y on the WiiU Pro Controller (hate the Classic Pro), but I don't like how the 2nd toggle is above those buttons. I've just about mastered my timing with the C-stick and I'm too lazy to relearn how to play competitively (granted it's only a flick of the thumb up instead of down) ... so.. my solution! which btw works awesomely but there is one problem and I'll explain it below.

That. I currently own one and have been using it for Super Mario 3D world. it works great. the only Problem I noticed was that this controller has actual triggers like the gamecube controller not the button like Triggers of the WiiU oriented controllers.. so far I've had no problems with dead zone.. but I'll have to wait I guess until smash comes out.
You can mod the gamecube controller and take out the springs in the L and R buttons. This takes away that "dead zone" you are referring to. But some tournaments will not allow modded controllers, so be weary. Just FYI.

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
I still haven't bought a Wii U (or had the privilege to get my hands on any of it's controllers Q_Q the only ones I got to play with were the Wiimote and Nunchuk before my Wii broke) so I really don't know... Likely the Pro or Classic (slightly more inclined to the pro though... Only time will tell)

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
Either the classic controller or the gamepad.

Pittoo

Smash Rookie
I'll be purchasing both versions and I know I'll be spending the majority of my playtime on the 3DS, so my "main" controller would be the 3DS. On the Wii U version, I'd either go with the Classic Controller or a Gamecube controller via an adapter. I want to add the Wii U Pro Controller to that list but I don't own one at the moment. I'll have to give that one a try sometime down the road before I can give an opinion on it.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I actually do a lot better with the Wiimote + Nunchuk then I do with the GC controller. It just feels more natural I guess. That said, I'm looking forward to using the Gamepad.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Probably the game pad. Although I do not have the pro controller and might get one.

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
Wii U Pro/Wiimote + Nunchuck.

A wired Wii U Pro would work too.

A mic port in the Wii U Pro controller would be nice too.

XenoUltra

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nin10doUltra
Switch FC
6286-4808-6298
Wii U Pro Controller. i hope there will be a wired controller. Come on Sakurai

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
Wii U Pro or Gamepad! The Wii U Pro controller is actually a really good controller. I use it for every game I can on my Wii U.

Schronos

Smash Rookie
I was wondering what you guys will use to play Smash 4 on the Wii U. I'm debating myself to either get the adapter to use the GameCube controller, or just get a Wii U pro controller because that seems like that would just be a better controller. Post your opinions about controller usage and why you would use that controller.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I imagine the GC controller is the furthest thing from Sakurai's mind, so I'd rather focus on getting used to/good at the Pro. Honestly I quite like it anyway, so I imagine it'll be fine. Hell I'm thinking I won't need face buttons at all, meaning the placement won't really bother me.

Left Stick: Movement
Right Stick: Smashes
L: Special Attacks
R: Standard Attacks
ZL: Shield
ZR: Jump.

Schronos

Smash Rookie
I imagine the GC controller is the furthest thing from Sakurai's mind, so I'd rather focus on getting used to/good at the Pro. Honestly I quite like it anyway, so I imagine it'll be fine. Hell I'm thinking I won't need face buttons at all, meaning the placement won't really bother me.

Left Stick: Movement
Right Stick: Smashes
L: Special Attacks
R: Standard Attacks
ZL: Shield
ZR: Jump.
Well, if players are going to play like the other games, they would rarely use up to actually jump, so you would most likely use a button for jumping.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Well, if players are going to play like the other games, they would rarely use up to actually jump, so you would most likely use a button for jumping.
Yeah man, I got ZR on it. That was just what I imagine I'd set up for myself, I'm sure by default he'd map actions to the face buttons.

Schronos

Smash Rookie
Yeah man, I got ZR on it. That was just what I imagine I'd set up for myself, I'm sure by default he'd map actions to the face buttons.
My opinion is that the triggers should be kept both as shields, jumping and short hopping will be difficult to do with a trigger. This is at least my opinion, and it might even change when the games actually come out.

None of the above:

Wii U Gamepad
It's been said that either the gamepad won't be usable, or at least it would be a very nerfed controller because Nintendo thinks that it would give that player an unfair advantage. Even if it was usable, tournaments would most likely not allow it because only one person can use it. Also what's good about actual controllers and not the gamepad is that if necessary, you can stretch both hands to one side and press buttons.

Last edited by a moderator:

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Wii U Pro controller 100% it's ****ing perfect. Gamepad wouldn't be a bad secondary. And Wiimote + Nunchuck if all else fails.

I don't know yet. I still feel like they may make another controller for smash like they did to commemorate the release of Monster Hunter. Whether or not it will be made is determined by how cost effective it is considering that the Classic Controller Pro was just a plug in while the Pro controller is a separate peripheral, but I think it's possible considering all of the other products Nintendo is shelling on the market.

Basically, for me it's gonna be GC. If it doesn't work out ill use the Pro.

Top Bottom