• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Character Received the Most Buffs? Worst Nerfs?

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
There's not many things I hate more than when my favorite characters get nerfed. Thank the Smash Gods and darn them for doing so.

Nerfs
:4falco: - The added lag is rediculous
:4olimar: - don't even get me started
:popo: - am I the only one whose happy about this
:4marth:- definitely not unusable, but nerfed obviously

Buffs
:4link: - His up smash, up b, boomerang, bomb shananagans, back roll, arrow
:4myfriends: - I'll take less strength for better setups and combos
:4falcon:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I don't think anyone will debate me when I say Meta Knight got nerfed the hardest.
I'd say Jigglypuff got the most buffs, Ganondorf second most, and Link third most.

FruitSnack

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shinonn
Marth did get nerfed pretty heavily, but also got the massive buff to his sweet spot. I think he's still viable, but he's not what he used to be.

As for link, he was buffed to the point of being viable competitively, which I personally love.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
:4bowser::4yoshi: got the most buffed imo. Bowser is actually useable now, and Yoshi...just damn.

:4gaw: got nerfed the most imo. Literally everything that made him decent in Brawl is gone. Everything.

D

Deleted member

Bowser's overhaul has helped him tremendously as he is now viable with his mobility and power. The buffs that Captain Falcon and Sheik received made them close to their Melee counterparts, which is a plus. Yoshi also got some pretty nasty buffs of his own with his Egg Throw, aerials, and added power.

As for nerfs, Olimar... poor guy was nerfed to oblivion. Poor Falco now has some ending lag on some of his attacks... RIP his Dair. Marth has some pretty bad nerfs as well, especially with his range.

Nope

Last edited by a moderator:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Compared to Mario in brawl, he is much better in this game. Although Link is a lot better too.

HeroOfClocktown

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HeroOfClocktown
Captain Falcon got buffed up pretty well. Was good with him in N64 Smash, sucked with him in the past 2 games, Smash 4 I've been winning with him heaps.

Ganondorf of course, too.

Pikachu to me seems more buffed than Brawl, also. He was my main in 64, sucked ass with him in Melee and Brawl, but now I feel like he's kind of back to his old roots. If only his final smash wasn't so hard to control.. unless there's a secret I don't know about.

Lazyboy0337

Smash Journeyman
In theory :4dk: got some nice buffs, but he's still kinda ass. Hella good at punishing shield/rolls if you read right though.

Vic

Smash Cadet
NNID
victimer3
From brawl I feel like both :4bowser: and :4yoshi: got the most buffs, they're pretty solid now.

As for nerfs, :4metaknight: got hit super hard, but I also feel like :4fox: and :4falco: lost some ground.

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
Top 5 most nerfed:
:4metaknight:,:4falco:,:4gaw:,:4marth:,:4drmario:

Last 2 were hard and kinda cheating because barely anybody aside from the first three got incredibly nerfed (even Olimar, he was honestly just retooled into more offensive over just purely camping and Pikmin tossing).

Top 5 most buffed:
:4mario:, :4yoshi:, :4ganondorf:, :4bowser:, :4link:

A LOT of characters got buffed really well, so it's kinda hard to say who was buffed the most.

Poppy100

Smash Cadet
I think Rajikaru basically hit the nail on the head...but Captain Falcon is ABSURD now (I lose to him more than anyone else online)

Greninja got hurt pretty badly too though, (from the patch obviously) he went from being maybe one of the top...12 or so?...to being something more like mid low tier, I can beat nobodies reliably with him, but a person who knows what they're doing is somewhat difficult to approach at all with his slightly sluggish grab and slower shuriken, this was REALLY overkill... and meanwhile, Rosalina is still quite formidable!

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
:yoshi2: - Meh
:4yoshi: - Oh my God, holy **** he is disgusting.

:jigglypuff: - Sad
:4jigglypuff: - You won't live long enough to figure out how much Jigglypuff was buffed.
As for nerfed, aside from the obligatory :4metaknight: and :4olimar:, :4drmario: got ****ing mollywhopped with the nerf hammer.
But Wolf got nerfed SO ****ing hard it's like he's not even there anymore.

HerrAlex

Smash Cadet
NNID
HerrAlex
Don't know if Diddy was any good in Brawl but he seems pretty beast now.

minilabs

Smash Rookie
There's not many things I hate more than when my favorite characters get nerfed. Thank the Smash Gods and darn them for doing so.

Nerfs
:4falco: - The added lag is rediculous
:4olimar: - don't even get me started
:4marth:- definitely not unusable, but nerfed obviously

Buffs
:4link: - His up smash, up b, boomerang, bomb shananagans, back roll, arrow
:4myfriends: - I'll take less strength for better setups and combos
:4falcon:
We've gotta stop this complaining about nerfs and buffs and adapt.

D

Deleted member 269706

Are we referring to nerfs from Brawl to Smash 4, or patch 1.0.3 to 1.0.4?

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Most nerfed:

:4metaknight: - Yes he's still usable but the nerfs are REAL here. He was once far and away the most dominant character of his game, having an advantage over every other character and ridiculous range and overly safe moves. A lot of his moves could be stringed together with no effort at all. Sure, Meta Knight isn't as BAD as other characters who were also nerfed, but you cannot deny he is one of the most nerfed characters, due to all of his most dominating features being removed. Many moves have some lag now, his best moves lost much of their ludicrous range, and his ability to shark and glide about has been stripped from him entirely.

:4falco: - One of the best characters from Brawl, all of his best moves were hit pretty bad. Lasers are bad, dair is bad, you name it, he sucks at it now. He can't really combo at all because of the endlag and startup lag of various moves removing the potential to string anything together like he used to be able to. Like Meta Knight, he's still usable, but good luck accomplishing much with a character who lost all of his best traits.

:4gaw: - Just because he wasn't top tier, doesn't mean he was safe. For whatever reason, Game & Watch suffered a whole lot of problems moving from Brawl into Smash 4. He used to be an amazing character capable of hanging with the big shots but in this game, he's a shell of what he used to be capable of.

I would give honorable mentions to Marth and Olimar, but they are at least very usable. Olimar is a bit more offensive and the larger increase in size differences make him really hard to hit with certain characters' attacks. Marth's range was nerfed but he's still basically got most of his tools intact, so he didn't take a nerf gun as hard as the three I mentioned above.

Most buffed:

:4jigglypuff: - Seriously. Jiggs was one of the worst characters without question but Smash 4 gave her back a lot of her best stuff. While not Melee levels of godly (in Melee it's arguable she's as good as 3rd best character, she just loses really hard to Fox pushing her down a bit), Jiggly is back to being a very threatening little balloon.

:4falcon: - THEY BROUGHT BACK THE KNEE!! Also in general basically anything good about the Cap from Melee was reinstated. He sucked hard in Brawl but he feels so much better now, and he really is a whole lot more effective. He can combo pretty well and he has ridiculous KO potential for someone so fast.

:4bowser: - Low tier as all hell in both Melee and Brawl, finally given what he needs to be a threat. He might not be the best character of the characters who got buffed, but he can be a pretty scary opponent and the rage mechanic makes his KO potential so scary on top of his survivability. While he still has a bit of the same troubles he's always had, he's a lot more capable of shaking it off.

Honorable mentions to :4sheik::4mario::4link::4yoshi:

PCHU

Smash Lord
We've gotta stop this complaining about nerfs and buffs and adapt.
Given that this thread is about the most nerfed/buffed characters, there's bound to be some hard feelings about what's happened.
Nobody's saying anything is broken, but it's most certainly underwhelming to jump into an entirely new game only to find that your favorite character has been outright nerfed rather than reworked and balanced, sort of like what they did with Wario -- I wouldn't say he's as great as his Brawl incarnation (certainly not as fun), but at least they gave him new bike strategies and possibly a slightly better bite, not to mention they altered fart mechanics.
Metaknight is just all-around worse with no new...anything, really; he was pretty much stripped of his "features".
Aside from his upB deciding it doesn't want to chain properly.

Doctor_Mario

Smash Apprentice
:4drmario: got nerfed but he was already a **** of a character, the **** Sakurai?
:4zss: got buffed a ton from brawl.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
I don't think anyone will debate me when I say Meta Knight got nerfed the hardest.
I'd say Jigglypuff got the most buffs, Ganondorf second most, and Link third most.
Well when coming from a God of course. But hes not useless

Top Bottom