• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where the **** is Baytown.... TOURNEY (HAS BEEN POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE)

Stiltzskin

Smash Apprentice
UPDATE: The tourney has been postponed. I'm extremely sorry for the inconvenience this causes. I could name off a number of excuses for this decision but I'm sure none of you want to hear it. I will instead say that I am through with trusting other people and when I announce the date for this tourney, it will be set in stone with nothing interefering with it. I'll be giving at least a week's notice for the tourney date. This could be as early as mid next week to a month from now. Know that I am extremely sorry for all this. If you have any questions or wish to flood me with hate mail, feel free to do so through my aim.

Fees:
10 dollars for singles
5 dollars per person for doubles

Payout:
1st= 60%
2nd= 30%
3rd= 10%
Cut= 40% (See below for reasoning)

Concessions:
YES
Drinks and pre-packaged food like chips and the such (Sorry we would love to cook for you guys but we have to work on getting a permit for that stuff. Doubt we'll have it by then T_T )

Just in case you're really craving, there's a La Michoacana right down the street ^_^

Misc. Info:
This is the first tourney I've ever ran so hopefully this runs smooth. Fallout is a new venue my friend opened up for local rock bands. Thing is, this cost a lotta money so he needs to make money fast. So i popped the idea of running a gaming tourney and here we are. This place can hold about 250 (excluding TVs and etc) people so i dont think space will be a problem. As this tourney is ran, we will also be running a Gears of War tourney, so if you're interested in that, there you go. If you are interested in the GoW tourney then please PM me. If this has a decent turnout, we might even turn this tourney into a monthly or maybe a bi-weekly event with more variety in games (obviously halo 2). And unfortunately for the winners, we're gonna have to take at least 40% of the winnings for ourselves since we're in desperate need of money. Of course if turnout is good and we schedule more tournaments, we will be dishing out a better percentage of the entry fees : D

Any help with supplies would be greatly appreciated: TVs, cubes, etc.

Rules:

Basically MLG, pure and simple.

Super Smash Brothers Melee
General Rules and Regulations
1. During scheduled warm-up periods the winner stays and the loser must get up., unless no one else tries to get nexties.
2. In the case of a GameCube/TV malfunction, the game will be restarted from the beginning, no matter what time it crashed, unless it was almost over and there was a clear winner.
3. Players must conduct themselves in a reasonable manner. Permanent ejection of a player from the tournament is at the staff's discretion. This won't happen though.
4. Any sign of cheating will result in an automatic forfeit. But who cheats?

Controllers:

1. You are responsible for bringing your own controller. (BYOC)
2. Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. Tournament staff may randomly inspect any controller at their discretion. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be immediately disqualified from the tournament.
3. Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer. Don't use third party, their merchandise is terrible.

Tournament Format
Brackets will be made at random, and you will be seeded randomly

Tournament Rules
1. Everyone starts in an Elimination Bracket.
2. The Elimination Bracket will be Double Elimination.
3. All matches are best of 3 except for the Finals (best of 5).
4. Lives will be set at 4 stock with an 8 minute time limit.
5.Ties will be broken by stock left and then by percentage of health. Sudden death will be played if both the stock and percentage are tied at the end of the time limit.
6. Items set to OFF

Stages & Character Select
1. The first round stage is selected by random, but if both players (teams) can agree on a stage then the first match can be played on any stage they agree upon except one from the banned list below.
2. Random Select Stages - Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams(banned in teams), Kirby 64, & Pokemon Stadium.
3. Stages Banned - Hyrule Temple, Onett, Fourside, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Venom, Yoshi's Island, Poke Floats, Mushroom Kingdom II, Termina, and Yoshi's Island 64.
4. Stages not listed on the random select list, that are not banned, are open for counter picks by the losing player.
5. Advanced Knock-out - each person may knock out one stage from the first round random select and one from the available counter picks. Both stages are off for the entire match.
6. Advanced Slob Picks - the loser may choose the next stage or elect to go random, then the winner may change characters, and then the loser may change characters.
7. Double-Blind Pick - at the beginning of a match, any player may call for a double-blind pick. This means that all participating players tell a judge their character secretly and are required to use that character for the first game.

Special Team Rules
1. Team Attack will be on
2. Life stealing is allowed

Other Rules & Special Issues
1. Any unnecessary pausing of the game will result in a forfeit of that single game. Unless the other person doesn't mind.
2. Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it in any way unfinishable are banned and will result in the immediate forfeit of the entire match.
3. Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. If by using one of these tactics, you have put your character in a place to lose a stock by ending the tactic, a judge may force you to stop the tactic and lose a stock.

Match Format
1. Each player chooses a seat and controller port. If both players want the same controller port, a coin flip will determine the winner of the port. The loser may then choose whichever seat he wants.
2. Players then choose their character and have 30 seconds to do so. If any player does not select their character at the end of 30 seconds or if any player calls for it, a double blind pick will be used. Once a player has placed their coin on a character’s image to select it, they may not change characters
3. Once characters have been selected the highest player in the highest controller port position may press start to go to the level select screen. Once on the level select screen, each player may choose their stages to knock-out (see Stages & Character Select rule #6) and then either agree on a stage together or select a stage at random. Any arguing over stages will be interrupted by the judges and random stage select will be used.
4. Players play their first match.
5. Once they have returned to the character select screen, the losing player from the previous match must announce their choice for the next level or elect to have the next level selected at random. Once the stage selection has been announced, the winning player may choose to change their character. Once the winning player has chosen his character for the next match, the losing player may then choose to change characters. After the stage and characters have been set, the players play their second match.

Any questions just ask me.

SideEffect001

Smash Lord
I like the sound of this.... but 50% payout cut?! =O!

Other than that this looks fun.... hopefully people will want to go to baytown......

What king of food/drinks will be available? ;)

XZalla

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like good ****, Stiltz. Finally Baytown is having a smash tourney. I'll make sure to come to this one! ;>

Jake13

Smash Lord
Where the **** is Baytown? (No pun intended) [well, maybe just a little. But I'm serious, where the **** is it?]

Stiltzskin

Smash Apprentice
A little east of Channelview and Deer Park. A little north of La Porte.

If your coming from Houston, you should take I 10 east all the way past Channelview and exit onto hwy 330 and u should arrive in Baytown.

If you live more towards the South Houston/Pasadena side of Houston, take hwy 225 east until you reach 146/La Porte. Take a left on hwy 146 (away from La Porte) and this will take you to Baytown.

The trip usually takes 45 mins, more or less depending on traffic.

If anyone else needs help just ask.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Aww, poke floats is banned =/

Heh, if i still have money left over from A-kon/can con somebody into giving me a ride, i'll come to this.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Unless I'm reading this wrong it'd be before A-kon...
Oh, Lol, oops.
I suppose it'll just end up whether i can get a ride or not....15$ shouldn't be too much to jeopordize my Akon funds.

Hm, actually, I'll probably be in Dallas when this happens. So I'm not going to be able to get a ride. :ohwell:

Cuno56

Smash Apprentice
Going...address would be nice. I actually do know where baytown is, it's a matter of which building in baytown...

I might MM, but I'm short on cash, so...we'll see.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I'm definitely going, I got someone to work for me :D. 2nd tourney ever, but I hope I'm not annihilated again. This time, I'm gonna sleep the night before, so be afraid of my superior reaction time >:D !

vVv Sly

Smash Rookie
I'm excited about this. I am going to go for Gears of War, and hopefully there will be a great turnout. If you can't get that venue, Gameforce might help you out. (gameforcecenters.com)

Stiltzskin

Smash Apprentice
The time for this will probably be around noon.

The cut won't be as steep as previously intended since its no longer benefiting Fallout. But I can assure you, I'm not goin into the red for this. There's still the rent fee for the location.

Oh and the date for this will most likely be changed. I'm thinking next week either Mon, Wed, or Fri. or perhaps the weekend of next week since Akon no longer causes problems. I'm sorry this is taking so long but please believe I'm doin all I can. People not returning phone calls and grad parties are kinda getting in the way.

Top Bottom