• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where do you think Diddy stands at the moment?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am just here enjoying my kills with Banana > F Smash, D Air off stage, D Smash or plain edgeguarding. Side B near the ledge is also stil lethal. Only thing that got really badly nerfed was Diddy's aerial power, but the combos remain nasty, and reduced knockback in the moves might actually be a blessing in disguise. Diddy's still up there, but he'll probably be ignored like in Brawl again... Which I have mixed feelings about. I was really enjoying seeing my favorite character used so much in many different ways, it was good material to base my own gameplay off from. Guess I'll have to be more creative from now on.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I feel he's still the best character in the game, but to slightly less of a degree then before.

Nerfing his knockback and damage a bit hasn't changed the fact that he easily has the best neutral game out of everyone in the cast still. They'd have to nerf the speed, damage, and/or knockback of his moveset even more if they wanted him to lose that position, IMO.

Last edited:

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
It indeed helps balance out the meta, and make people use characters that are normally considered not good. Take M2K for example. He's using Palutena, and she's #43 on the Eventhubs tier list!
That's, y'know, like, F Tier!
Eventhubs is total trash, don't use it in your arguments lol. It'd be better if you used Japan's latest tier-list, where Palutena is 33rd out of 51 right next to Shulk and Mii Brawler at the tippy-top of D-tier (which isn't too bad).

Anyways, Diddy's still really, really good. People keep saying he's been neutered and that it's possible he's not even Top 10 anymore but I strongly disagree. Players like ZeRo and M2K are still kicking just as much *** with him as they were before the patch, they just have to work a little harder to get their kills. The patch is showing that there's much more to Diddy than grab, U-air, and F-air because weakening all that is forcing people to be creative. For example, ZeRo's been using B-air to approach/wall people out, combo, and edgeguard far more recently.

Diddy's still going to be a popular tournament pick. Get used to seeing him.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I still think he's the best, too.

But I think Luigi, one of my other mains, is going to give him a lot more competition for that title.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
It's hard to say at this point. The fact all of his best moves besides down tilt and bananas got massively nerfed, all while the worst Shiek got was her back air nerfed definitely put her in a position where she's easily better than Diddy Kong now which I think was done on purpose because Diddy Kong is the most hated and "obnoxious" character in the game, all while Shiek is the "cool" top tier character a lot of people love to play as and watch. There was massive bias against Diddy Kong in this balance patch and I fear they'll probably make him a bottom 15 character in Smash 5 because he was a top character in two Smash games in a row. Who else was a top character in two Smash games in a row that didn't get massively nerfed in the following game? While I definitely feel Diddy Kong is still top ten, characters like Shiek, Rosalina, Sonic, Mario, Luigi, and Ness all might be better than Diddy Kong at this point.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
It's hard to say at this point. The fact all of his best moves besides down tilt and bananas got massively nerfed, all while the worst Shiek got was her back air nerfed definitely put her in a position where she's easily better than Diddy Kong now which I think was done on purpose because Diddy Kong is the most hated and "obnoxious" character in the game, all while Shiek is the "cool" top tier character a lot of people love to play as and watch. There was massive bias against Diddy Kong in this balance patch and I fear they'll probably make him a bottom 15 character in Smash 5 because he was a top character in two Smash games in a row. Who else was a top character in two Smash games in a row that didn't get massively nerfed in the following game? While I definitely feel Diddy Kong is still top ten, characters like Shiek, Rosalina, Sonic, Mario, Luigi, and Ness all might be better than Diddy Kong at this point.
Pikachu. He'll never go away. Marth also wasn't exactly "nerfed" so much when his landing lag and aerial attack lag was put at the level of this game compared to Brawl, he didn't work very well. I assume they thought KO's at 50% off of tip forward smash made up for it or something. Falco they straight up killed, I don't think they had any idea what they were doing.

There was "massive bias" because he was massively overpowered. Even with Sheik's absurd frame data she didn't have a 3 frame move that KO'd at 110% and guaranteed KO's at 70% off of grab.
And no. Diddy Kong is definitely still top 5 and still arguably #1. There is no way Ness or Mario are better than him. His reach exceeds both of them, he's far more mobile, his recovery is harder to intercept, and their stage control can't even remotely compare. Sheik is always going to be competing with Diddy, and the only one who could "replace" Diddy right now is maybe Luigi, who would be straight-up broken if not for his terrible movement.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy is still clearly the best character in my opinion. But I agree that there was a massive bias against him, and that made his nerfs happen. I still doubt Sheik is better now, especially since her kill power is also worse since 1.06. Diddy can still effectively kill off his opponents, making him quite a bit similar to Pikachu in a way. His frame data is still extremely good, so he probably won't be bad any time soon unless they literally made him as bad at KOing as Sheik is currently.

Squiiidzoid

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5026-5302-6885
I totally agree, Diddy is still definitely number 1 imo. The only changes are you get less hate for using him, and he has to work a little harder for his kills, which only means like 2-3 more Fairs. I also think these nerfs are a good thing, as people will be forced to think of more creative strategies, where in the past you could just be lazy and Hoo Hah until death. I also think people have blown these nerfs way out of proportion, as a Diddy main he feels exactly the same, still keeping his excellent mobility and options. There are plenty of things i think people haven't discovered about him yet, like just the other day i realized that with a banana in hand you can do shorthop>z-drop>fair(grabs banana)>fastfall, which allows us to still do our precious shorthop fair fastfalls with a banana in hand and keep it, while only gaining 1 extra frame of startup lag

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
He clearly got nuked hard. The big question is: where do we go from here?

In my opinion, Diddy is no longer even in the top 10 on the tier list. Tier lists aren't based on who has the fastest aerials, but it's based on matchups between characters. After the nerf I think there are characters who straight up beat him, a whole ****ton of characters that go even with him, and very few characters that have no hope vs Diddy like before.
The only mechanic change that Diddy got was more endlag added to his fsmash, which wasn't really how Diddy players were getting the majority of their kills anyway. Everything else was just a % and knockback change, which doesn't mean that he cannot still kill with these moves, only that he needs to rack up more damage on his opponent before he can do so (and damage racking was never hard for Diddy).

He still runs circles around most heavyweights. It taking longer for Diddy to kill them doesn't magically change all of the advantages he had over them.

Now, if they had done something like added 30 more frames to pulling out a banana or making the banana disappear after 5 seconds or something like that, sure, Diddy would be sliding down the tier list.

But that didn't happen so I don't know how he would've fallen out of the top ten all of a sudden...

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
I main diddy and played a bit of him pre patch but started maining him post-patch, the playing field for diddy in general is pretty balanced if not good for him, but is inferior ground for diddy when facing the now TOP TOP tiers. Sheik, luigi *bad m.u. , i know*, rosalina, sonic etc. So I believe diddy is still top 10, maybe around #7/8 but the fact that those already top tiers weren't nerfed made them significantly better characters than diddy statistically which we're already seeing take effect with all these sheik mains running around. In my opinion. And before I get a "oh but his frame data is the same" argument I agree, it's the same and still great, but there's still no hiding the fact that his damage was SIGNIFICANTLY nerfed. When regarding top tiers positioning is very sensitive and any change including damage makes a major difference at the highest levels of play.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Diddy is now challenging while still very rewarding.
His skill floor for success was stupidly low while he undoubtedly still was a very high-depth mechanically intensive character. Pushed to his limits I still think he could argue #1, as I don't think anyone towards the top doesn't suffer a disadvantage or tough match ups anyway.

Popgun is soooo good, banana/item game, monkey flip (this move was absurdly broken in Brawl, I'm not sure how much it's changed in this game but it's still super effective just it's actually a *horror* risk), up-b has all sorts of features too. Forward Air is less strong than before and I think it does have its impacts in a match up like Luigi (less shield push back on a horizontal tool), but can likely still be used to wall out a significant portion of the cast, ZSS is still a sad sad girl about this move. Up air is still high in utility but no longer the best aerial to ever exist in the series, can successfully frame trap plus antiair or anti juggle.

Overall, Diddy still has the most diverse array of tools with a lot of them still being quite strong. I think when his efficiencies are once again figured out or developed he'll still be taking tournaments all over the place (well heck, he is still taking tournaments all over the place).

Top Bottom