• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where do you think Diddy stands at the moment?

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai
He clearly got nuked hard. The big question is: where do we go from here?

In my opinion, Diddy is no longer even in the top 10 on the tier list. Tier lists aren't based on who has the fastest aerials, but it's based on matchups between characters. After the nerf I think there are characters who straight up beat him, a whole ****ton of characters that go even with him, and very few characters that have no hope vs Diddy like before.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
No longer top ten? Which characters do you feel are better than Diddy Kong? I'd love to see your list.

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
Diddy is still a very solid character imo. The nerfs hurt, but he still has an excellent combo game (and it feels somewhat enhanced thanks to the knockback nerfs), and he can still put great pressure on an opponent with his quick aerials, Dtilt, Monkey Flip mixups, and Bananas.

It's a little harder to kill with Diddy now, but he still has some great kill options like Uthrow > Uair, Bair, and Fsmash.

Diddy might not be stuck at top tier now, but he's definitely still top 10 material.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I still get Dthrow > Uar > Fair to combo like before, which is not much less damage than Dthrow > Uair > Uair > UAir.

I think the nerfs to Uair on knockback make attack barrels as customs that much more appealing.

Creede

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Creede73
Just because he's harder to play doesn't mean he isn't top 5 or even 3.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I primarily use 1131 instead of 1111 or 1121, but the hit to Diddy's kill power is making me think about switching to 1121. Against CPU's in training mode, I was able to kill Mario with down air > up air > up special a few times with Rocket Barrel Attack. No clue how effective that is against human players. I would hate switching my up special largely because I love Rocketbarrel Kaboom, but these nerfs hurt his kill power so much. -_-

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Sometimes there comes a point where we have to stop doing what we want to do and start doing what we have to do.

Crispy_

Smash Cadet
NNID
OatmeaiCrisp
3DS FC
3754-6658-5495
I'm just glad it'll add more variety to tournaments. I'm gonna assume of a lot of Diddy mains are switching (probably to :4sheik:) but there's always hope.

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
Don't give up on your character guys, he's still top 10 imo but was hit pretty hard. Of course if you're playing to win and that's why you picked Diddy you'll probably want to switch but to those who really enjoy Diddy you should stick with him, cause it's not like he sucks now he's just not the best. As a solo Greninja main it was discouraging at first when he was nerfed, but it didn't take very long at all to get used to the changes, and I went right back to really enjoying the frog again, and he is still really good if you ask me, but yeah I hope you guys can do the same.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
To me, it's more so a situation where I wonder if this game is worth playing competitively if balance patches will keep making this game less fun. The previous balance was overall for the best because it buffed a ton of characters, but the changes to vectoring had enormous changes to the balance of the game and some characters were way over nerfed like Greeninja and Little Mac. Who knows, maybe Diddy's down throw up air combo might not have been as much of a problem if vectoring was left alone. Now the latest balance patch makes all the best characters struggle to kill and the game is even slower paced than before. :/

Last edited:

Crispy_

Smash Cadet
NNID
OatmeaiCrisp
3DS FC
3754-6658-5495
To me, it's more so a situation where I wonder if this game is worth playing competitively if balance patches will keep making this game less fun. The previous balance was overall for the best because it buffed a ton of characters, but the changes to vectoring had enormous changes to the balance of the game and some characters were way over nerfed like Greeninja and Little Mac. Who knows, maybe Diddy's down throw up air combo might not have been as much of a problem if vectoring was left alone. Now the latest balance patch makes all the best characters struggle to kill and the game is even slower paced than before. :/
DI has always been in Smash Bros. and is something any good player should learn. I honestly feel 1.06 was a good thing. Otherwise it had the potential for a Diddy 20XX. I don't think it made the game less fun, but more fun.

Doruge

Smash Journeyman
This reminds me of the 1.0.4 patch, when everyone started saying that Sheik was no longer top 10. People have a tendency to blow nerfs way out of proportion.

Diddy is still a top 3 character. His meta is more developed that anyone else's and he still has high-damaging combos and guaranteed kill setups.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Diddy could very well still be one of the top 3 caharcters.
I mean seriously this nerf wasn't all that bad, he just can't kill as easily now, big deal, neither can Sheik.
A smart Diddy player can still put him to work, after all, he still has awesome frame data, good speed and grab game, wich give him a good neutral game, as well as tons of mobility options.

Crispy_

Smash Cadet
NNID
OatmeaiCrisp
3DS FC
3754-6658-5495
Honestly I think Diddy just became more respectable.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
DI has always been in Smash Bros. and is something any good player should learn. I honestly feel 1.06 was a good thing. Otherwise it had the potential for a Diddy 20XX. I don't think it made the game less fun, but more fun.
The removal of how vectoring worked in the original 3DS version hurt some characters badly who became far more susceptible to getting combo'd easier with less ability to get out. According to some Dedede mains, he got screwed over badly from that where matchups like Mario suddenly became a nightmare because of his utilt strings. Regardless, I'm fine with either approach to how D.I. works in this game, but it likely contributed to Diddy's down throw eventually getting nerfed. Regarding of Diddy's tier place, I couldn't care less if he was the best or tenth best, I find him way less fun after the patch.

Crispy_

Smash Cadet
NNID
OatmeaiCrisp
3DS FC
3754-6658-5495
For you bein
The removal of how vectoring worked in the original 3DS version hurt some characters badly who became far more susceptible to getting combo'd easier with less ability to get out. According to some Dedede mains, he got screwed over badly from that where matchups like Mario suddenly became a nightmare because of his utilt strings. Regardless, I'm fine with either approach to how D.I. works in this game, but it likely contributed to Diddy's down throw eventually getting nerfed. Regarding of Diddy's tier place, I couldn't care less if he was the best or tenth best, I find him way less fun after the patch.
For you being a Diddy main that's understandable (regarding his fun-ness).

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
the NAir and FAir nerfs was needed cause Diddy get basically free wins of those 2. I have met opponents that literally abusing those 2 moves and grabs. I still won most of the time, but it is still overpowered to air dodge diddys first UAir and get hit on his second UAir after the first air dodge is done

however, diddy is still a solid character and will not go down from the top 3 thanks to his other stuff and great frame data. you only have to learn the learn curve or play little harder if you only want to win.

yet, those who play to ONLY win will probely leave diddy now when their free wins move is out, while the true mains will still fight along side with diddy no matter what

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
yet, those who play to ONLY win will probely leave diddy now when their free wins move is out, while the true mains will still fight along side with diddy no matter what
I play this game to have fun and he's now nowhere near as fun for me because of the nerfs to forward air, down throw, and forward smash. When I initially mained him, I had no idea he would end up becoming the most hated, overpowered character in the game...which only happened because of the last balance patch.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I think the most important thing is that Diddy's frame data is intact (endlag on fsmash isn't a big deal since startup and KO power is the same)

Like what, I have to land a couple more fairs to put them in kill range? Big deal lol, the options and frame data are the same, I cam manage just fine imo

Crispy_

Smash Cadet
NNID
OatmeaiCrisp
3DS FC
3754-6658-5495
I think the most important thing is that Diddy's frame data is intact (endlag on fsmash isn't a big deal since startup and KO power is the same)

Like what, I have to land a couple more fairs to put them in kill range? Big deal lol, the options and frame data are the same, I cam manage just fine imo
So true. Diddy's still an amazing character; just less broken. People say Diddy is bad because of a few nerfs but defend low-tier characters because they're, well, low-tier. Damn.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Am so glad about this to. In a way, it makes Diddy play more like he did in Brawl, and that's a thing I really like.

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
He's still great. Copy Paste from the competitive character impressions thread:

I truly believe that when Diddy's meta really gets going he will regain his position in the top five and possibly the top three. Bananas in particular will become absolutely terrifying again once the remaining Diddy players master all the options it gives us. I watched the streams of bigger tourneys often pre patch and even though Diddy was the most common character, you would rarely ever see a Diddy with banana setups and control that was even close to what it could be. Because why bother to learn that stuff? He had Brawl MK normals.

In early Brawl, Diddy was originally considered to be lower mid because no one had any clue how crazy bananas would get. He ended up #2 if I'm not mistaken. While Diddy only has one peel now and it's very fragile, he still has normals that would've soundly broken Brawl Diddy. Despite the damage and KB nerfs, their speed, range, and safety is all still intact. His combo game is now much better. His mobility and versatility are both still top tier.

TLDR: Don't sleep on Diddy.

Falco_Phantasm

Smash Rookie
NNID
DexNexRex
3DS FC
1006-0212-8425
I think mid-tier? Mostly due to his kill potential being nerfed (side smash having more end lag, UP-AIR), he still can rack up damage though so he might be like Brawl Diddy; a character that can rack up damage but has trouble killing.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Brawl Diddy was still an all around amazing character though so he's DEFINITELY NOT Mid-Tier, the tier where everyone seems to be placing Mewtwo. :laugh: No sir, Diddy is still a well comfortable, sharp and bebble Top Tier character. He has gotten nerfs, but they aren't Falco or Marth or Mewtwo bad.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
I play this game to have fun and he's now nowhere near as fun for me because of the nerfs to forward air, down throw, and forward smash. When I initially mained him, I had no idea he would end up becoming the most hated, overpowered character in the game...which only happened because of the last balance patch.
His gameplan is still mainly intact so I don't understand why you're complaining so much. I picked Diddy because I loved the ways his moves flowed together and how he got to combo so much. For me, this patch basically gave me more opportunities to combo and I always loved wracking up damage with Diddy since he had all the tools to cover recoveries and gamestates.

Think about it. Did the Uair nerf and Fair nerf really make Diddy that "less fun" for you? If that's the case I think you're definition of fun is using an overpowered character with no clear weakness in any state of his gameplay. And I think that's asking way too much of a fighting game that's beginning to see potential in the competitive scene and which should remain as balanced as possible.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
The up air nerf doesn't bother me, it's the forward air nerf and forward smash nerfs that bug me the most. All his other nerfs don't bug me much anymore, but those two nerfs absolutely suck. I just hate how it's now common for Diddy Kong to now need his opponents over 200% to get a kill in certain situations. Regardless, I'm still going to main the monkey despite how frustrated I am about the direction of the balance patches.

Last edited:

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
The up air nerf doesn't bother me, it's the forward air nerf and forward smash nerfs that bug me the most. All his other nerfs don't bug me much anymore, but those two nerfs absolutely suck. I just hate how it's now common for Diddy Kong to now need his opponents over 200% to get a kill in certain situations. Regardless, I'm still going to main the monkey despite how frustrated I am about the direction of the balance patches.
To be fair, Fair was a bit overpowered with all the tools that Diddy had. SH Fair was ridiculous to approach and it gave way too much knockback for how easily you can spam it. Glad that you're still maining Diddy tho.

Burruni

Smash Hero
:4diddy:is still a very strong character. The difference now is he's more on par of other top teir characters and more plausible for people to stand a chance against to being a hated and dare I say toxic choice for tournaments that some people may cry :metaknight: about.

The way I like to put it is that he isn't a top tier that is above the rest of the top (:metaknight:/:popo:) but more of Melee top tier (:foxmelee::falcomelee::jigglypuffmelee::marthmelee::icsmelee::peachmelee::falconmelee::sheikmelee:) where there's a fair pool that he's comparable too and it isn't going to be shocking when someone lower off can win against him.

Wyles

Smash Cadet
LOL to say Diddy Kong isn't in the top ten is a bold statement. He's easily still one of the top 3. What's that? He doesn't have a kill set up anymore? ( JCT Nana -> FSmash is a thing btw) Well everyone else had to work for their kills. So you guys should just accept the fact that he's not overpowered. But he's still insanely good.

Conti

Smash Ace
Diddy's Kit is just too good to be out of the top5 [especially since they didn't touch his frame data much, if they touched frame data it would be a different story] any1 that says otherwise has not played a past Smash game or just doesn't even understand how to go about placing a character on a tier list :p
He was Top4 in Brawl, Top5 in P:M and now Top5 Again in SmashWiiU.
An example being that he is Just like marth, unless they mess with his frame data [like they unfortunately did to marth in WiiU which angers pretty much EVERY1, let's face it marth is low tier in this game [But Top4 in Melee, Top6 in Brawl, Top8 in P:M] because of no safe airiels, but high tier in the others because of his Kit and safe airs].
Diddy has 2 Projectiles for safe zoning and an advanced metagame behind them with some diffs in all 3 games. A Command Grab with an optional Kick if grabbing seems unsafe or impossible, that also is used for recovery, with a meteor option in the air. This Game's default Up+B is like better then brawl and P:M 3.02's combined in terms of how good. The Custom Up+B is ok aswell, but i feel thats a gimmick that won't work as time/metagame progresses.
A Solid combo game and Airs, His Fair is always his bread and butter, Uair is always a slick combo move, Bair is always super safe and an amazing mixup due to its speed, Dair is Dair :3, Nair tho underused is incredible in the correct scenarios. His tilts are all solid and need to be used more, [and not just Dtilt {Which is Godlike imo}, but Utilt and occasional Ftilt to cover opponent on banana pickups]
His smashes are sub par by themselfs but with interesting uses combined with his Zoning and Combo game they are still very useful.
His Throws seem to be legit in every smash game, In brawl they were mainly good toss aways to re-setup two bananas and a peanut. In P:M You could [just like S4] Mixup between Dthrow and Uthrow for amazing results. In S4 they originally gave him the stupidest combo ever that killed significantly early in a game where doing so is usually a challenge, Now it became just like P:M where u have loads of possibilities for interesting combos out of Dthrow and Uthrow.

Diddy that can adapt to his changes and the new setups [Like ZeRo is the golden example] will see kills around 100-120 is they are on point but need to earn the setup for an Fsmash, 130-150 off Dtilt combos/Airs, 180+ if they managed to get past that zone and u are forced to upair or fair them. Not to mention the ability for Gimps Diddy has. Diddy is at least 4th best right now. Only Threats imo are Sheik/Pika Imo, the rest are tossups for the top spots, i wanna say its Pika/Sheik/Diddy in terms of potential but people are putting Sonic/Rosa/Ness/Luigi/ZSS and inserting over diddy [which i kinda understand, but honestly i still feel Diddy in the correct hands can outplay any of those characters except maybe luigi]

Last edited:

Bluetooth

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1220-6181-2171
I'm not seeing how Diddy can't be top 10.
Diddy still has the great setups, the infamous Hoo-Hah, even more combos with the reduced knockback, and much, much more.
Most of the characters had absolutely no match against Diddy Kong, because of the insane combos he could pull off. Now because of the nerfs, he's about top 5, below Sheik, Rosy, ZSS, and Pikachu. He still has the great combos, but less knockback means it is harder to kill with him.
I don't think he's bad. I mean, I'm still trying to main him, but honesty he needs more love. He didn't deserve that nerf.
My poor Diddy...

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
Diddy's Kit is just too good to be out of the top5 [especially since they didn't touch his frame data much, if they touched frame data it would be a different story] any1 that says otherwise has not played a past Smash game or just doesn't even understand how to go about placing a character on a tier list :p
He was Top4 in Brawl, Top5 in P:M and now Top5 Again in SmashWiiU.
An example being that he is Just like marth, unless they mess with his frame data [like they unfortunately did to marth in WiiU which angers pretty much EVERY1, let's face it marth is low tier in this game [But Top4 in Melee, Top6 in Brawl, Top8 in P:M] because of no safe airiels, but high tier in the others because of his Kit and safe airs].
Diddy has 2 Projectiles for safe zoning and an advanced metagame behind them with some diffs in all 3 games. A Command Grab with an optional Kick if grabbing seems unsafe or impossible, that also is used for recovery, with a meteor option in the air. This Game's default Up+B is like better then brawl and P:M 3.02's combined in terms of how good. The Custom Up+B is ok aswell, but i feel thats a gimmick that won't work as time/metagame progresses.
A Solid combo game and Airs, His Fair is always his bread and butter, Uair is always a slick combo move, Bair is always super safe and an amazing mixup due to its speed, Dair is Dair :3, Nair tho underused is incredible in the correct scenarios. His tilts are all solid and need to be used more, [and not just Dtilt {Which is Godlike imo}, but Utilt and occasional Ftilt to cover opponent on banana pickups]
His smashes are sub par by themselfs but with interesting uses combined with his Zoning and Combo game they are still very useful.
His Throws seem to be legit in every smash game, In brawl they were mainly good toss aways to re-setup two bananas and a peanut. In P:M You could [just like S4] Mixup between Dthrow and Uthrow for amazing results. In S4 they originally gave him the stupidest combo ever that killed significantly early in a game where doing so is usually a challenge, Now it became just like P:M where u have loads of possibilities for interesting combos out of Dthrow and Uthrow.

Diddy that can adapt to his changes and the new setups [Like ZeRo is the golden example] will see kills around 100-120 is they are on point but need to earn the setup for an Fsmash, 130-150 off Dtilt combos/Airs, 180+ if they managed to get past that zone and u are forced to upair or fair them. Not to mention the ability for Gimps Diddy has. Diddy is at least 4th best right now. Only Threats imo are Sheik/Pika Imo, the rest are tossups for the top spots, i wanna say its Pika/Sheik/Diddy in terms of potential but people are putting Sonic/Rosa/Ness/Luigi/ZSS and inserting over diddy [which i kinda understand, but honestly i still feel Diddy in the correct hands can outplay any of those characters except maybe luigi]
I completely agree.

Before we could throw out moves without thinking and eventually get the kill with a lucky aerial or some other move. Now we actually have to find a kill setup for a Smash move and use our brains. This also allows us to improve Diddy's metagame and actually unlock his potential which is better for everyone's growth in the long run.

Bluetooth

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1220-6181-2171
I completely agree.

Before we could throw out moves without thinking and eventually get the kill with a lucky aerial or some other move. Now we actually have to find a kill setup for a Smash move and use our brains. This also allows us to improve Diddy's metagame and actually unlock his potential which is better for everyone's growth in the long run.
It indeed helps balance out the meta, and make people use characters that are normally considered not good. Take M2K for example. He's using Palutena, and she's #43 on the Eventhubs tier list!
That's, y'know, like, F Tier!

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I think he can still crack top 10 but he definitely isn't top tier anymore. He got a lot of key moves nerfed. But he is still very strong a character.

Bluetooth

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1220-6181-2171
I think he can still crack top 10 but he definitely isn't top tier anymore. He got a lot of key moves nerfed. But he is still very strong a character.
He can trip, and he's got the Hoo Hah.
At least top 8, if not 5.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
It indeed helps balance out the meta, and make people use characters that are normally considered not good. Take M2K for example. He's using Palutena, and she's #43 on the Eventhubs tier list!
That's, y'know, like, F Tier!
Custom Palutena is a completely different, possibly top 5 character. She has a pretty disgusting combo that KO's below 60% off of a grab. And don't pay attention to eventhubs anyway, the people who vote on those tier lists don't really understand the game particularly well.

Diddy is still easily top 5. There's no way that's going to change without some major buffs to a number of characters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom