• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where do you think corrin stands in Competive play and tier list?

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Don't hate
No troll posts
Respect others opinions

My thoughts are he will be able to place high at tournaments and be mid/high tier.
:4corrin::4corrinf:
(Let me know if a thread like these exist)

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Less than a week is nowhere near enough time to tier a character this young in the meta. But if I must, mid tier at worst.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
I'd say...wherever Corrin stands....
He is standing on both ,his right and left foot.

yeah. that sucked...

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Depends on a number of variables: Counterplay, how glaring their weaknesses are, etc.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's probably too early to ask this question, but I'm under the impression that Corrin won't do any better than the B-tier.

D

Deleted member

Oh my god will people stop bringing up this discussion

IT HAS ONLY BEEN A WEEK. This character is at a very young point in the meta, especially one that's been around for more than a year. Stop trying to measure their viability immediately.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Oh my god will people stop bringing up this discussion

IT HAS ONLY BEEN A WEEK. This character is at a very young point in the meta, especially one that's been around for more than a year. Stop trying to measure their viability immediately.
I'm not just wondering where they think she'll be placed

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
I'm thinking A or B tier, but honestly, we really just need to wait and see. Someone who truly masters this character, and gets results (or doesn't) will help determine corrin's placement. Like others have said, it's way too early to place him anywhere. An example of a character that just needed time to prove his worth, is ryu. At first, people were saying he was bad, due to his recovery, and people's lack of knowledge of combos. I even saw people claiming C tier or lower. Now, he's at the top of A tier.
Just be patient, and wait until a player prove's corrin's worth at a major.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
for me, tempttatively B tier for now....lets see how he goes from there.

Like in all smashes...speedsters will continue to rule the meta. (this will never change?)

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
for me, tempttatively B tier for now....lets see how he goes from there.

Like in all smashes...speedsters will continue to rule the meta. (this will never change?)
Rosalina is by no means a speedster.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina technically isn't S-tier material either. Those who put her there pretty much fail to understand that her weaknesses are NOT negligible; she needs the Luma to maintain a good offense.

luky7dayz

Smash Rookie
NNID
luky7dayz
3DS FC
3024-9260-9272
Im thinking bottom of A tier, unless someone finds a glaring weakness (or nerfs)

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
High to mid B-tier in my opinion, at least until we have more data in terms of tournament results. Low A-tier would put Corrin above characters like Yoshi, Faptain, Rob etc, all characters that are held in fairly high standards and have proven themselves at higher levels of competition.

As good as Corrin is, I'm not sure we can group her with the likes of characters like Mario/Fox/Sonic just yet.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
While I agree it is quite early to say anything, only saying that really doesn't add to any discussions.

Judging by performances so far from the tournaments videos I could find, I'm saying high B tier just to be safe. Corrin I see has decently struggled so far. Though, Corrin hasn't been doing too badly. But I think there is still lots of potential to uncover with them. Especially with interesting specials like Dragon Lance and Dragon Fang Shot.

Indigo_

Smash Cadet
Why do so many people get salty with these posts? Just give input or don't.

Break it down to the top/high tier match ups. How does corrin do versus shiek, rosa, zss, mario, sonic, pikachu, villager, fox, metaknight, and cloud?

Fex13

Smash Apprentice
sheik: difficult (speeeed and is always inside of you, where corrin is at his/her worst)
rosa: easy money
zss: even
mario: can be difficult with cape and fludd, but still ok
sonic: relatively easy
pikachu: difficult (hard to hit due to speed and being small, gimping)
villager:difficult (caaaaaaaaaaaaamping)
fox: very difficult ( similar to sheik, corrin doesnt do well against characters who are inside of you all the time)
metaknight: i found that to be a pretty easy match up, you can control space soo well against him. you just have to be careful to not get gimped early and to avoid his dash attack.
cloud: even, both sides can kill each other very fast, if one of them is impatient. but again, you control space very well and i would say it is slidly in our favor.

corrin has the most problems with fast fally very fast characters that can camp if they need to and have really quick attacks with little to no lag( sheik, fox). captain falcon for example isnt really hard, cause they cant do anything against our space controlling, except for getting a read and raptor boost us. the floatier the character is, the better corrin does against them, since we control the space around us so freaking well, that it is hard for them to come at us. that is my impression at least.

overall, i think corrin is a really good character and i can see him/her being at the bottom of the high tier when some more time passes and we got it all figured out. side-b is corrin's saving grace, that prevents him/her from being average. aaaaand corrin's combo game is actually very legit. i like it a lot.

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
First off: It's CLEARLY too early to make anything more than a vague guess. But I'd guess somewhere from C to A, depending on how things play out, and I'd lean along the lines of B to A. I think his strengths outperform his weaknesses pretty significantly.

Strengths:

• A phenomenal spacing game, one of the best in Smash.
  • Excellent aerials
  • A variety of kill moves
  • A reasonable combo game
  • A kill throw
  • The best standard Counter in the game
  • A good projectile
  • Excellent edgeguarding

Weaknesses:

• Recovery isn't amazing, definitely in the bottom third of the roster
  • Mobility is average at best
  • No combo throw
  • No "unfair" quality (unless Counter qualifies)
  • Grab range isn't great

Corrin isn't broken in any way, but seems very well-rounded, solid, and powerful. We'll have to see how things play out, but I'm honestly pretty optimistic about the potential here.

Indigo_

Smash Cadet
sheik: difficult (speeeed and is always inside of you, where corrin is at his/her worst)
fox: very difficult ( similar to sheik, corrin doesnt do well against characters who are inside of you all the time)
metaknight: i found that to be a pretty easy match up, you can control space soo well against him. you just have to be careful to not get gimped early and to avoid his dash attack.
cloud: even, both sides can kill each other very fast, if one of them is impatient. but again, you control space very well and i would say it is slidly in our favor.

corrin has the most problems with fast fally very fast characters that can camp if they need to and have really quick attacks with little to no lag( sheik, fox). captain falcon for example isnt really hard, cause they cant do anything against our space controlling, except for getting a read and raptor boost us. the floatier the character is, the better corrin does against them, since we control the space around us so freaking well, that it is hard for them to come at us. that is my impression at least.

overall, i think corrin is a really good character and i can see him/her being at the bottom of the high tier when some more time passes and we got it all figured out. side-b is corrin's saving grace, that prevents him/her from being average. aaaaand corrin's combo game is actually very legit. i like it a lot.
I forgot ryu. This is a good starting point though. If people can supplement this with more detail, we could have a pretty good idea where corrin lies.

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533

May I ask why the corrin mu with zss is even? Did you by chance play a zss that knew how to do zss things off of downthrow, (im not trying to be rude, Just curious). I played a zss and found out our airgame outranges and out speeds zss, but when she lands a grab, oh, its dreadfull, luckily sakurai nerf up b kb because i survived up b at 70% with good di. plus, quick pin dragon lunge can kill zss really early like at 80% with rage.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
I forgot ryu. This is a good starting point though. If people can supplement this with more detail, we could have a pretty good idea where corrin lies.
For ryu its really difficult due to his combo game but with the correct spaceing you can win

Fex13

Smash Apprentice
May I ask why the corrin mu with zss is even? Did you by chance play a zss that knew how to do zss things off of downthrow, (im not trying to be rude, Just curious). I played a zss and found out our airgame outranges and out speeds zss, but when she lands a grab, oh, its dreadfull, luckily sakurai nerf up b kb because i survived up b at 70% with good di. plus, quick pin dragon lunge can kill zss really early like at 80% with rage.
well, you named the main reasons yourself already. our aerial game beats that of zss and we can kill her fairly early with DL. but the main point is, that if you dont get grabbed by zss, she really doesnt have a lot of tools against us due to our superior neutral game. just pick battlefield or any stage that isnt FD, utilize your platforms and avoid the grab. it isnt hard at all. also, if she whiffs a grab, we are able to punish her really hard (low to mid percent: fair/nair combos/juggles; higher percent: DFS into DL tipper or DL pin into kick or just well spaced Fsmash)
if you gon on FD however, the match up becomes indeed harder, but still not bad. be aware of her grabs and you should be fine.

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
well, you named the main reasons yourself already. our aerial game beats that of zss and we can kill her fairly early with DL. but the main point is, that if you dont get grabbed by zss, she really doesnt have a lot of tools against us due to our superior neutral game. just pick battlefield or any stage that isnt FD, utilize your platforms and avoid the grab. it isnt hard at all. also, if she whiffs a grab, we are able to punish her really hard (low to mid percent: fair/nair combos/juggles; higher percent: DFS into DL tipper or DL pin into kick or just well spaced Fsmash)
if you gon on FD however, the match up becomes indeed harder, but still not bad. be aware of her grabs and you should be fine.
makes sense then, yes, making Corrin a secondary was a good choice because i hate the Rosalina zss mu with a passion, zss has too many unfair advantages with her deadly punish game and fearsome air atks, but with Corrin, i don't really struggle like what you said. Thanks for the good analysis and feedback.

Im thinking bottom of A tier, unless someone finds a glaring weakness (or nerfs)
Don't worry about nerfs, I found out that Sakurai is done with patches with this game and patch 1.14 is indeed the final patch, he said it himself. Gamexplain said this if you want a link, then here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qtj5Ne9F8Y

Last edited by a moderator:

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry about nerfs, I found out that Sakurai is done with patches with this game and patch 1.14 is indeed the final patch, he said it himself. Gamexplain said this if you want a link, then here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qtj5Ne9F8Y
If Gameexplain actually READ the article, that's not at all what he actually said.

Development has ended. What that means isn't really 100% known, but maintenance and development are typically separate things within dev-teams. Patching comes under ongoing maintenance.

It's quite frustrating that videos like this exist making these kinds of claims with certainty when it's clear from actually reading the article that they're twisting the words out of their original meaning into something else.

Not only are they making easy money off someone else's hardwork (doing the translation), but they're making false claims.

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
If Gameexplain actually READ the article, that's not at all what he actually said.

Development has ended. What that means isn't really 100% known, but maintenance and development are typically separate things within dev-teams. Patching comes under ongoing maintenance.

It's quite frustrating that videos like this exist making these kinds of claims with certainty when it's clear from actually reading the article that they're twisting the words out of their original meaning into something else.

Not only are they making easy money off someone else's hardwork (doing the translation), but they're making false claims.
you don't know that for sure either, usually development means additions to the game and sakurai said that he cant keep the team together forever, this includes the game balancing team. It takes work with programming to make these patches and im pretty sure these people want to do something else besides working in smash 4. If you think its easy to make these game patches, then you are clearly wrong because why else does it take them months to make a new patch? Because its hard work messing with programming.

Zard lover Doom Desire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
N1ntendogam1ng
Why does everyone say A or B tier? Lol do you guys even know what an A or B tier character looks like? Corrin is definitely not on the same level as Diddy Kong or Cloud, almost everyone on Smashboards overestimates their mains, I don't get it.

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
Why does everyone say A or B tier? Lol do you guys even know what an A or B tier character looks like? Corrin is definitely not on the same level as Diddy Kong or Cloud, almost everyone on Smashboards overestimates their mains, I don't get it.
b tier has only falcon and yoshi. its not far fetch to see corrin in that level too. But i can see Corrin being A tier if people find out a new tech with Corrin

Zard lover Doom Desire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
N1ntendogam1ng
b tier has only falcon and yoshi. its not far fetch to see corrin in that level too. But i can see Corrin being A tier if people find out a new tech with Corrin
I thought they were C tier. Anyway, sure, if Corrin has undiscovered tech, then they might end up in the upper tiers, but no one said "Oh, well Meta Knight seems bad now, but he'd be high tier if he had some undiscovered tech". Sure enough, Meta Knight had hidden potential in his combo game, and now he's at the (admittedly inaccurate) spot of 10 on the tier list. His combos could have been found earlier, and thus counters could be learned earlier so people wouldn't put him so high, if American players weren't so lazy, they prefer to pick their easy top tiers instead of learning characters with hidden potential, not that I'm exactly hating on all Americans, seeing as I am one, but it took Mexico to learn MK and Japan to learn Mewtwo and Greninja before anyone else. However, I honestly can't imagine Corrin having ANY hidden tech at all, no combo throw and with weird stipulations to their one projectile, I can't see anything happening. If I'm wrong, I'll humbly apologize.

Last edited:

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
I thought they were C tier. Anyway, sure, if Corrin has undiscovered tech, then they might end up in the upper tiers, but no one said "Oh, well Meta Knight seems bad now, but he'd be high tier if he had some undiscovered tech". Sure enough, Meta Knight had hidden potential in his combo game, and now he's at the (admittedly inaccurate) spot of 10 on the tier list. His combos could have been found earlier, and thus counters could be learned earlier so people wouldn't put him so high, if American players weren't so lazy, they prefer to pick their easy top tiers instead of learning characters with hidden potential, not that I'm exactly hating on all Americans, seeing as I am one, but it took Mexico to learn MK and Japan to learn Mewtwo and Greninja before anyone else. However, I honestly can't imagine Corrin having ANY hidden tech at all, no combo throw and with weird stipulations to their one projectile, I can't see anything happening. If I'm wrong, I'll humbly apologize.
oops my bad, they are c tier, anyway, Corrin has potential, dragon lunge is a broken move if you know how to instant pin from the ground. he has good sword range and good comboing ability. A decent projectile, and decent kill setups. My guess is he/she is in the same tier as cloud because both have a good polarizing playstyle. Oh i forgot, Corrin's up air is ridiculously good. frame 7 move that can kill even at 80% sometimes. Has great range and combos at lower percentages. My point is that there is no mid tier character or lower has access of exceptionally good moves like Corrins up air and dragon lunge. oh and btw, mewtwo is still a bad character, and he will only go down when this meta game evolves even more.

Last edited:

Zard lover Doom Desire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
N1ntendogam1ng
oops my bad, they are c tier, anyway, Corrin has potential, dragon lunge is a broken move if you know how to instant pin from the ground. he has good sword range and good comboing ability. A decent projectile, and decent kill setups. My guess is he/she is in the same tier as cloud because both have a good polarizing playstyle. Oh i forgot, Corrin's up air is ridiculously good. frame 7 move that can kill even at 80% sometimes. Has great range and combos at lower percentages. My point is that there is no mid tier character or lower has access of exceptionally good moves like Corrins up air and dragon lunge. oh and btw, mewtwo is still a bad character, and he will only go down when this meta game evolves even more.
Broken is very extreme, it's a pretty good move, and I know about the instant pin (I discovered it on my own, don't know if I was the first though) but that move is far from broken, you're not out of reach, and it's not absurdly powerful either. Their range and combos are decent, I agree, but they're no Sheiks, and their up air, while very good, is bested by Ike's in kill power. Additionally, there ARE mid-low tier characters with moves better than the two you mentioned, Luigi Cyclone and Knee Smash come to mind. And for your last bit, I don't know if that was supposed to make me stop playing Mewtwo or if it was supposed to be some sort of strange jab at me, but you should take a look at who my mains are and tell me if you think I care what tier my mains are in.

WhiteMageBD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wmiller2533
Broken is very extreme, it's a pretty good move, and I know about the instant pin (I discovered it on my own, don't know if I was the first though) but that move is far from broken, you're not out of reach, and it's not absurdly powerful either. Their range and combos are decent, I agree, but they're no Sheiks, and their up air, while very good, is bested by Ike's in kill power. Additionally, there ARE mid-low tier characters with moves better than the two you mentioned, Luigi Cyclone and Knee Smash come to mind. And for your last bit, I don't know if that was supposed to make me stop playing Mewtwo or if it was supposed to be some sort of strange jab at me, but you should take a look at who my mains are and tell me if you think I care what tier my mains are in.
ok you got a point of your mains that you're not a tier *****, but still, claiming that mewtwo has potential is an understatement because thats why hes low tier, he just a subpar character. Also, captain falcons knee smash is not a good move by anymeans. its slow with a ton of landing/ending lag with a hard to land sweatspot. Its only viable when comboed finish with CF uairs. So really, its the uairs that are good, not the knee smash. Also, comparing corrin uair knockback with Ikes is not accurate at all because corrins uair has ridiculous kb for its speed being 7 frames. Ikes uair is 13 frames, so of course ikes is stronger because its a lot slower. And the fact that ikes uair is slow makes it not really THAT good because its easy to avoid. Thats like saying that Rosalina Uair is not very good because zeldas is stronger. Guess what, Rosalina uair is amazing due to its speed and power, while zeldas is subpar due to it being slow. And dragon lunge is broken the special hop pin comes out at frame 4, the kicks kill pretty early, tell me, how many balance moves you know that kills early and hits in 4 frames. none, besides the broken moves like zss boost kick, and mixing up the movement if you missed the pin make dragon lunge hard to punish. point is that dl is a broken move due to its insane speed, high kb and being hard to punish.

Last edited:

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
usually development means additions to the game
I've worked with studios, formerly community manager at MP. No it doesn't.

The video is inferring far more than is really said in the article. So much language isn't used at all. Don't defend this stuff, it's just drama and clickbait. There WILL be a part time dev dedicated to ongoing network maintanance and essential low level code patching.

Last edited:
Top Bottom