• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where do I start?

Sonnet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kuch11
So I've been playing Squirtle for a bit now, and I know for a fact that I want to main him competitively. Since he's got an insanely high tech cap, I was wondering where I should begin. What tech is most important? Easier for beginners? How much do I need to know before I'm ready for smaller tournaments?

Pusha

Smash Rookie
Shell shifting is huge with squirtle. Something you can practice are jump cancelled grabs out of your turn-around animation. If done right you can fling yourself like half the distance of FD while grabbing.

Flore

Smash Rookie
I love squirtle, but I've literally been playing smash less than 2 weeks, this seems as good a place as any to ask.

Whats the absolutely most basic things I should be doing to learn?

I went to a tourney a couple nights ago but all that really taught me is I had no idea how many miles I have to go before I can begin to take more than a single stock.

Badge

Smash Apprentice
I love squirtle, but I've literally been playing smash less than 2 weeks, this seems as good a place as any to ask.

Whats the absolutely most basic things I should be doing to learn?

I went to a tourney a couple nights ago but all that really taught me is I had no idea how many miles I have to go before I can begin to take more than a single stock.
As far as advanced techniques you should know as Squirtle go, I'd say go for shorthops, wavedashes, l-cancels and wavelands in that order and also learn when you can fastfall before continuing with character specific tech. What's most important in the tech skill department is being able to control your character and do exactly the things you want to do at exactly the position you want to be in.

Moving around the stage and occasionally throwing out attacks at places you determine before doing the attack is what you should practice the most. For Squirtle in particular you should get used to his run turnaround and his wavedash. Knowing how long exactly you dash goes (which is the first animation when you start "running", during which you can dash dance but not initiate a run turnaround) is also important so you know when you're able to perform his run turnaround and crouch cancel attacks.

Some notes on practicing specific techniques:
Try to optimize the distance your wavedashes go and make them as "smooth" as possible. From the center of Pokemon Stadium 2 you can travel to the metallic parts at the sides in a single wavedash. Also learn to act out of wavedashes asap, be it with another wavedash (for movement) or with attacks.
When practicing l-cancels do so both hitting opponents/the walls on Shadow Moses Island/a sandsack and against thin air. Also start the aerials at different heights. This is important to not get in the bad habit of pressing <shield button> a certain time after performing an aerial, but instead just before landing.

Top Bottom